Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
1 hr ago
INXS: Live Baby Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.28
21 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Pale Door (Blu-ray)
$14.59
11 hrs ago
Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema IV (Blu-ray)
$33.49
13 hrs ago
Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Scoob! 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Back to the Future Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$69.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
PA

This is one of the best bonds. Scenes at the Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge in the same movie!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #62
Expert Member

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwoppet View Post
Those screwups are only minor compared to the fact that the whole movie has been zoomed from its original AR.
Really? Which editions are in correct AR?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #63
Expert Member

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post
This is one of the best bonds. Scenes at the Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge in the same movie!
The series becomes a bit of a blur even when you have seen them many times but Ive always remembered the Golden Gate sequence with the blimp.....this is the only film I haven't watched yet in the Bond 50 set.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #64
Special Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_Dam View Post
Really? Which editions are in correct AR?
Special edition only. Ultimate and BD lose substantial information on all four sides (same as the UE of GoldenEye). The "popular" explanation is that both films were restored by Lowry from a pan-and-scan source, which is ridiculous. It would have been impossible to make 16x9 of these films had that been the case. My suspicion is that this was a "creative" decision from the restoration team. The Lowry restoration was split between several teams (Lowry did some himself) and the project manager was the same on both AVTAK and GE. The GE BD may have DNR but at least shows the film in its proper composition AND colours (the Lowry team did an unholy effort to desaturate the film to death). Unfortunately, AVTAK is not as loved as GE, so there wasn't a general outcry for fixing those mistakes on BD.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #65
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
There's a weird jump cut when Grace Jones gets into bed with Bond. I guess they didn't want to show any nudity, however brief, or maybe it was Jones who didn't want any part of her body to be shown.
I spot-checked all of the discs after getting this on Friday. I noticed the weird jump cut as well. Was this jump cut on previous DVD versions?

(It reminded me of a weird jump cut in Ben-Hur, though that was on previous DVD versions, too.)

Edit: DVD Compare says that all versions have the jump cut.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...fid=774&sel=on
Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #66
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Wirral, England

The Grace Jones jump cut has been there since its original cinema showing and VHS.

AVTAK has been royally shafted on DVD and BD. Lowry butchered it and MGM had no money to fix it. Its the only title in the Bond 50 set that I cant bring myself to watch - making that set officially incomplete for me. Other Bonds still have technical problems - especially GE - but AVTAK is inexcusably bad.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Lowry started off getting a good reputation on digital restoration. After that whole Bond set fiasco (the first DVD one) I just feel like spitting every time I hear the name. Thank god they dropped into obscurity. Like Artisan. Another early digital shining light who turned to total garbage. Hell, even lucasfilm's thx, when they'd "certify" shitty pillarboxed 4:3 transfers like Thinner, pretending like they were God's gift to home theater...

Just xxxxing embarrassing all these companies. Have they no love for what they do? No professional pride? They make me sick

Last edited by Mobe1969; 12-07-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
Ben_UK (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Lowry started off getting a good reputation on digital restoration. After that whole Bond set fiasco (the first DVD one) I just feel like spitting every time I hear the name. Thank god they dropped into obscurity. Like Artisan. Another early digital shining light who turned to total garbage.
Didn't Lowry also do the digital film restoration for Scott's Alien, Cameron's Aliens and Cameron's The Terminator? (all three of which look excellent imo) Not really obscurity.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #69
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Wirral, England

They bit off more than they could chew with Bond. That series is now too big for "complete series" restorations and releases. Each movie needs to be treated individually and with respect.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #70
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklandsboy View Post
Other Bonds still have technical problems - especially GE - but AVTAK is inexcusably bad.
Good thing it's one of the worst Bond films anyways.
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #71
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Wirral, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Good thing it's one of the worst Bond films anyways.
That's no excuse!
A restoration is supposed to make a film better.
Thanks given by:
enro (08-01-2016)
Old 12-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #72
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
The Grace Jones jump cut has been there since its original cinema showing and VHS.

AVTAK has been royally shafted on DVD and BD. Lowry butchered it and MGM had no money to fix it. Its the only title in the Bond 50 set that I cant bring myself to watch - making that set officially incomplete for me. Other Bonds still have technical problems - especially GE - but AVTAK is inexcusably bad.
Have watched AVTAK several times (guilty pleasure of mine), on TV, BD, and DVD (don't think I've ever seen it on VHS) but not recently. Just to clarify, is everyone upset because the jump-cut IS or IS NOT there? If it's always been there and is also on the BD, why has it been shafted? Not trolling, just legitimately curious.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #73
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Have watched AVTAK several times (guilty pleasure of mine), on TV, BD, and DVD (don't think I've ever seen it on VHS) but not recently. Just to clarify, is everyone upset because the jump-cut IS or IS NOT there? If it's always been there and is also on the BD, why has it been shafted? Not trolling, just legitimately curious.
See this post from earlier in the thread.

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody - including the original reviewer - has addressed any of the screw ups that Lowry made during the "restoration" of this movie for the original UE DVD carried over to this BD. Most noticeably the "camera shake" which occurs on the shot of Stacy's house. Apparently Lowry's machines decided it was an error and "fixed" it. It wasn't an error. There were also framing errors made during Bond's "sprint" up the Eiffel Tower.

Had the movie been released in the first wave of BDs it would probably have been corrected - as was OHMSS and TB - but they got lazy with the second batch.

The set as a whole was such a missed oppprtunity.

To my knowledge, AVTAK has't been presented correctly since the SE DVD. Add it to the list of Bonds that need another try. See also Goldeneye and its wretched DMR!
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #74
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

The Grace Jones jump cut isn't a BBFC cut, it was mostly likely done by the film's editors who spotted her revealing too much skin for a PG rating.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America