Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wild Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
23 hrs ago
The Addams Family 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.71
5 hrs ago
The Northman 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Friday the 13th 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.14
1 day ago
The Last Duel 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Black Widow 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The King's Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Lawrence of Arabia 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.16

Uncharted 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.11
1 day ago
Cruella 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #3301
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
to the thee-A-ter, Spidey -

Amazing Spider-Man 2

DCP specs -

3D Image Format: 2K 2048X858 (scope)
2D Image Format: 4K 4096X1716 (scope) - File Size: 177 GB
Audio Format: 5.1

5.1? Lame.

Sony's audio department needs to get with the times. 7.1/Atmos are pretty much the defacto standard for big budget blockbusters like this.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #3302
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Quote:
As was Eddie and the Cruisers (part 1)….

Eddie and the Cruisers - Tender Years (HQ) - YouTube

P.S.
You can see I need me tunes to work by this morning.
Def both classics. Great music meets cheese in a wonderful "Au Gratin" series. But I think my all time favorite "music" pic has to be Marky Mark's "Rockstar" followed very closely by the awesome "Almost Famous". I do concede AF to be a highly superior film in every way, but the first I can relate to personally (though nothing close to those levels hehe)

Last edited by pentatonic; 04-28-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #3303
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
5.1? Lame.

Sony's audio department needs to get with the times. 7.1/Atmos are pretty much the defacto standard for big budget blockbusters like this.
Addendum:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...242640051.html
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #3304

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Def both classics. Great music meets cheese in a wonderful "Au Gratin" series. But I think my all time favorite "music" pic has to be Marky Mark's "Rockstar" followed very closely by the awesome "Almost Famous". I do concede AF to be a highly superior film in every way, but the first I can relate to personally (though nothing close to those levels hehe)

Youtube link?...for my listening pleasure this evening.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #3305

Apr 2007

Quote:
the society devoted to cataract and refractive surgery…
https://twitter.com/KNBComm/status/4...204160/photo/1
Question: Why should one try to avoid an IOL exchange, esp. if you have an epiretinal membrane covering the retina?

Do you think that tech bloggers like the one linked to here from cnet…
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...rs#post9103021
who enjoy disparaging 4K and only have superficial knowledge in regards to visual acuity would really know the answer to that.

Hardly.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #3306

Apr 2007

Quote:
from Carolyn -
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...acturer-699288

Rack this ^ up to Dolby not waiting for broadcasters in the ITU…because it can always go over the top (internet TV) with HDR.

Question: Easy one...What is the dynamic range of the human eye in terms of f-stops?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #3307

Apr 2007

Encouraging SMPTE membership....https://www.smpte.org/
Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #3308
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Youtube link?...for my listening pleasure this evening.
Rock Star

Almost Famous

Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #3309
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2006

Quote:
About time!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #3310
Power Member

Nov 2006
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...acturer-699288

Rack this ^ up to Dolby not waiting for broadcasters in the ITU…because it can always go over the top (internet TV) with HDR.

Question: Easy one...What is the dynamic range of the human eye in terms of f-stops?
Still no word on how Dolby Vision will be applied to projection systems. Theatrical showings are at 14 fL (I use the same in my room). I don't see how this will fit in with Dolby's HDR system considering the white levels they are trying to achieve. It certainly wouldn't look like the monitors they are grading on.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:18 PM   #3311

Apr 2007

Quote:
Encouraging SMPTE membership....https://www.smpte.org/
^
So, as a prelude to the webcast next week, one might ask what’s this freakin Electro-Optical Transfer Function (EOTF) mean in English? Sounds all gibberish to me.

Well, without getting too technical and risk putting some to sleep, you see, in imaging science, the signal transfer function elucidates how to transform signal representations including digital codes, film density, voltages, etc. into optical energy. This is known as electro-optical transfer function (EOTF).

EOTF curves based on power functions have been the norm for digital cinema and television displays having standard dynamic range and peak brightness of 50-100 nits. If one refers to BT.2246 which I’ve linked to in the past - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...46#post8467171 (because some of the work from B T.2246 went into the Rec. 2020 parameters) and peruse around p.40 or so, you’ll notice that Barten and Schreiber threshold functions have been utilized to show the performance of the power-based EOTFs in regards to visual detection thresholds for 10-bit and 12-bit implementations.

BUT….

Today’s TVs can be manufactured with much higher dynamic range and peak luminance (>100 nits, e.g. http://www.barco.com/en/News/Post/20...operating-room ) and using traditional power function based EOTFs (traditional gamma) for HDR would result in quantization artifacts.

Ergo, a new EOTF, based on human perception, called Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) was proposed in work presented to a SMPTE tech conference in late 2012 linked to near the bottom of this post…. https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...pe#post7325076 and subsequently published in SMPTE Mot. Imag. J 2013, 122:52-59.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #3312

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
About time!
Always thinking about what's best for my soccer buddy. Please don't leak the results of today's nor tomorrow's Champions League 2nd leg semis as I'm recording both and plan to watch when the winds die down in L.A.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #3313

Apr 2007

Thanks . Saved.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #3314

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Still no word on how Dolby Vision will be applied to projection systems. Theatrical showings are at 14 fL (I use the same in my room). I don't see how this will fit in with Dolby's HDR system considering the white levels they are trying to achieve. It certainly wouldn't look like the monitors they are grading on.
As mentioned in the last paragraph here - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...ty#post9051782

Discussions have just begun regarding HDR in D-Cinema. This is the earliest of early days for that....think embryonic stage. I agree, definitely much taller hurdles to overcome for front projection compared to that for flat panel display implementation and exhibition, esp. in regards to D-Cinema.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #3315

Apr 2007

Let us not forget Technicolor , which this week in L.A. is showcasing its 4Kp60 STB, a first - http://www.noodls.com/view/0BAD789C6...7xxx1398791324

as well as demoing its HDR solution development.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #3316
Banned

Aug 2011

I just wish they would release some 4K stores on PC. PROPER 4K stores. Not bitrate-starved trash like iTunes.

I see no reason why I should have to shell out $700 for some proprietary box from Sony when my PC can play back 4K video just fine. Why doesn't Sony release software to access their 4K store.

What the hell do I need some cruddy little box with 1 TB of storage when I have a PC with 50 TB of storage?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #3317
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
What the hell do I need some cruddy little box with 1 TB of storage when I have a PC with 50 TB of storage?
Even at 4TB a pop that's a helluva lot of HDDs!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 PM   #3318
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Always thinking about what's best for my soccer buddy. Please don't leak the results of today's nor tomorrow's Champions League 2nd leg semis as I'm recording both and plan to watch when the winds die down in L.A.
Fascinating weekend of premier league football Penton man. This week should be utterly gripping as well. Won't spoil any scores for you.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #3319
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Fascinating weekend of premier league football Penton man. This week should be utterly gripping as well. Won't spoil any scores for you.
Where there's life there's hope, Steedy. I bet you're feeling better about your survival chances now!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #3320
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Where there's life there's hope, Steedy. I bet you're feeling better about your survival chances now!
To have no hope and then hope again is nice but so nerve wracking. I sort of resigned myself to the worst so I think it will hurt even more if we go down now. Fulham play you guys last game of season Geoff so you may play a part!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 4K Ultra HD > 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies