Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Maniac 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.20
8 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Tokyo Godfathers (Blu-ray)
$22.45
11 hrs ago
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Blu-ray)
$27.99
18 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

I Still Believe (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.25
8 hrs ago
True Grit (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$17.36
5 hrs ago
Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #201

Sep 2014

Not sure if anyone brought it up yet (or just already assumed!), but it seams that the letterbox also force crops the picture from the original. For example, look at this review site's pics with Batou sitting in the car. Look at the number of spikes in his hair. Now look at a dvd version of the movie...notice how there is more picture and you can see more of his hair? Seems like the letterboxing cropped the picture rather than border the complete picture. Very unfortunate!

My new Sony 55" (55W800B) automatically overscans the picture perfectly and slightly without taking any of the picture away. I can set it off, but I prefer the full screen fill since it is not really stretching the picture in a noticeable sense.

I am also hearing 5.1 issues. Seems like a highly blotched released... one step forward two steps back!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #202
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night13x View Post
My new Sony 55" (55W800B) automatically overscans the picture perfectly and slightly without taking any of the picture away. I can set it off, but I prefer the full screen fill since it is not really stretching the picture in a noticeable sense.
How is that possible since cropping is how overscan works?

Edit: Or are you just talking about it with this particular release?

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 10-02-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #203
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night13x View Post
Not sure if anyone brought it up yet (or just already assumed!), but it seams that the letterbox also force crops the picture from the original. For example, look at this review site's pics with Batou sitting in the car. Look at the number of spikes in his hair. Now look at a dvd version of the movie...notice how there is more picture and you can see more of his hair? Seems like the letterboxing cropped the picture rather than border the complete picture. Very unfortunate!

I am also hearing 5.1 issues. Seems like a highly blotched released... one step forward two steps back!

This is taken from my dvd:

Batou.jpg

If you compare it to the blu ray, the blu shows more side image.
Thanks given by:
goodjay (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #204
Power Member

Jun 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
How is that possible...?
It isn't.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #205
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Cool, thanks. I did find it by changing the aspect ration from 16:9 to "Just Scan".
Glad you found it
Old 10-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #206

Jun 2012
AZ

Nooooo. I was hoping that there was no actual Audio Issues....
Thanks given by:
goodjay (10-02-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #207
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodjay View Post
theres heaps more if you keep checking with the stereo jap version.just after the Mellons, notice the guy falling off the boat has no splash. even the choppers flying past in the very first scene are missing the sound as they approach from behind..all in the dvd 5.1 mix that was released years back..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post
Sucks to hear the 5.1 has so many issues. I can understand / forgive 1 tiny mistake, but sounds (no pun intended) like there are a lot.

I think I might just wait for this to hit a bargain basement price.
Wow, I just read this thread after placing my order with importcds a few minutes ago and emailed them to cancel. Being that it's the middle of the night in the US, shouldn't be a problem, but they haven't always been responisive in previous cases like this so I'm a bit nervous.
Hoping someone does a proper release of this soon & with good English audio as well (which you can't really count on from Japan, I just mean a foreign language track is usually treated as of secondary importance, especially when it's not the films original language.). The official review knocks the Japanese track, but is it any worse than the track on the JP blu-ray? If nothing else is in the cards, I would still wanna get this release for the improved PQ.

Last edited by billyearle; 10-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Thanks given by:
goodjay (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #208
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post
It isn't.
That's what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
Nooooo. I was hoping that there was no actual Audio Issues....
Not on the Japanese track.

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 10-03-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #209

Oct 2013

[QUOTE=billyearle;9825001]Wow, I just read this thread after placing my order with importcds a few minutes ago and emailed them to cancel. Being that it's the middle of the night in the US, shouldn't be a problem, but they haven't always been responisive in previous cases like this so I'm a bit nervous.
Hoping someone does a proper release of this soon & with good English audio as well (which you can't really count on from Japan). The official review knocks the Japanese track, but is it any worse than the track on the JP blu-ray? If nothing else is in the cards, I would still wanna get this release for the improved PQ.[/QUOTE

it is the uk manga steel book version i am referring to..wasnt there a US version just released also?maybe the 5.1 is ok on that.can anyone confirm?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #210
Banned

Sep 2010

I can't ever watch a film with a dub, even if it is animation and even if it is superb, so I guess, the audio issues don't affect me if I purchase this.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #211
Special Member

Feb 2009
Pittsburg, KS

For those wanting the 5.1 track fixed on the US release, since it was Anchor Bay that released it here you could try emailing them at DL-TRY-Anime@Starz.com which is from their contact page. If a lot of people make noise, maybe it'll get their attention. Since I think it was Manga UK that actually produced the disc though, I doubt anything will be done.

The subtitles on this could be better too. There are a few misspellings and the phrasing sometimes doesn't seem right either.

FWIW since the US and UK releases are the same, the subs also use British spellings.
Thanks given by:
goodjay (10-04-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #212
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

[quote=goodjay;9825683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyearle View Post
Wow, I just read this thread after placing my order with importcds a few minutes ago and emailed them to cancel. Being that it's the middle of the night in the US, shouldn't be a problem, but they haven't always been responisive in previous cases like this so I'm a bit nervous.

Hoping someone does a proper release of this soon & with good English audio as well (which you can't really count on from Japan). The official review knocks the Japanese track, but is it any worse than the track on the JP blu-ray? If nothing else is in the cards, I would still wanna get this release for the improved PQ.[/QUOTE

it is the uk manga steel book version i am referring to..wasnt there a US version just released also?maybe the 5.1 is ok on that.can anyone confirm?

I think you are going to wait for a long time.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #213
Special Member

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
For those wanting the 5.1 track fixed on the US release, since it was Anchor Bay that released it here you could try emailing them at DL-TRY-Anime@Starz.com which is from their contact page. If a lot of people make noise, maybe it'll get their attention. Since I think it was Manga UK that actually produced the disc though, I doubt anything will be done.

The subtitles on this could be better too. There are a few misspellings and the phrasing sometimes doesn't seem right either.

FWIW since the US and UK releases are the same, the subs also use British spellings.
I feel like at times I am only getting the rough just of what is being said from the subtitles.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #214
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodjay View Post
The official review knocks the Japanese track, but is it any worse than the track on the JP blu-ray?
It's the same LPCM track from the Japanese and UK release, and is the film's original audio track since it was only released theatrically in stereo.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #215
Banned

Oct 2013
-
-
-

Quote:
with good English audio as well (which you can't really count on from Japan)
Well, obviously we can count on Japan for "good" English audio, since it's perfect and unadulterated on the JP BD, unlike the recent US/UK release that bastardized the track with missing elements.

Sure it's lossy DD 2.0 (640kps), but it certainly doesn't sound bad at all, and is more enhanced than any release before it. If you want good, non-screwed up English audio, then the JP BD is the best choice if you have the extra cash, or if you're cheap you can mux the stereo upmix from Munga's DVD to the US BD.

Quote:
The official review knocks the Japanese track,
The review is essentially meaningless, they just assess the quality, and fidelity of the HD mix itself. Don't worry about what the review says. They didn't even notice the English audio was botched.

The Japanese LPCM 2.0 track on the JP BD is 48KHz/16-bit and the US BD is 48 kHz/24-bit.

People complained about no 5.1 output when BV released their BD, but the stereo audio sounds fine, (it rocks on my set up at least). The gun battles, rapid-fire action, car chases, explosions, and music are all very strong.

And as Thomas Guycott said, stereo is the films original audio anyway, so I can live with no 5.1
Thanks given by:
lolwut (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #216
Special Member

Feb 2009
Pittsburg, KS

I made a polite post on Anchor Bay's Facebook page earlier today simply stating that the 5.1 track is screwed up with a link to this detailed post and their response was to delete it. Sweep it under a rug and the issue doesn't exist.
Thanks given by:
lolwut (10-05-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #217
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
I made a polite post on Anchor Bay's Facebook page earlier today simply stating that the 5.1 track is screwed up with a link to this detailed post and their response was to delete it. Sweep it under a rug and the issue doesn't exist.
Doesn't surprise me in the least. It's actually pretty consistent with Manga's responses to past quality control issues.

Last edited by Thomas Guycott; 10-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #218
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post

People complained about no 5.1 output when BV released their BD, but the stereo audio sounds fine, (it rocks on my set up at least). The gun battles, rapid-fire action, car chases, explosions, and music are all very strong.

And as Thomas Guycott said, stereo is the films original audio anyway, so I can live with no 5.1
Aye. Most amps have very good matrixed surround processing, e.g. Neo 6 or DPLIIx, and if the 2.0 source is uncompressed, so much the better (reminds me of the laserdisc days). But if peoples aren't getting 5.1, they think they're being swindled. Oh well.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #219
Special Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
Well, obviously we can count on Japan for "good" English audio, since it's perfect and unadulterated on the JP BD, unlike the recent US/UK release that bastardized the track with missing elements.

Sure it's lossy DD 2.0 (640kps), but it certainly doesn't sound bad at all, and is more enhanced than any release before it. If you want good, non-screwed up English audio, then the JP BD is the best choice if you have the extra cash, or if you're cheap you can mux the stereo upmix from Munga's DVD to the US BD.

The review is essentially meaningless, they just assess the quality, and fidelity of the HD mix itself. Don't worry about what the review says. They didn't even notice the English audio was botched.

The Japanese LPCM 2.0 track on the JP BD is 48KHz/16-bit and the US BD is 48 kHz/24-bit.

Thanks for the info. I actually already have that JP BD. What I was trying to say is I was (perhaps vainly) hoping for a new release with the improved PQ this new US one has, but without botched audio, and good sound quality on the English track. By "good" I just mean preferably not lossy. I do most of my listening/viewing on a high end headphone system, so I personally don't care if it's 5.1 or Stereo, just that the end result sounds good. Preferably the original mix, but a 5.1 is ok as long as they don't distort the basic character of the original sound design.
I also hope you didn't take my original post to mean that I think the Japanese are incapable of delivering a high quality English dub track. It's just that English being a foreign language in Japan, is not likely going to be given the same priority-treatment a Japanese track is, especially when English is not the original language of the film. I live in Japan, and own many Japanese blu-rays, so I just wanted to be sure you didn't think I was knocking the Japanese in any way...Heck, my son is Japanese.
Yeah, I was probably unduly affected by the official review heaping so much praise on the new English track and trashing the Japanese track. I'm even content with several lossy tracks as long as the end result doesn't sound too compromised. Of course I would want lossless though.
BTW, based on various posts here & my own feelings of having a long wait for another edition with improved PQ and botch free audio, and import cds making it a big hassle to cancel the item from my order, I decided to keep this new US BD on order.

Last edited by billyearle; 10-05-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #220
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Hollyweird, CA

The Japanese track sounds excellent, very crisp and clear.

Unfortunately, the new subtitle translation is extremely blunt and clunky. What used to be "It's that time of the month" is now "I'm on my period", and things like "Don't bother" are now "Don't mither" (what?). All the elegant, famous lines from the original translation are now completely different and possibly less accurate.
Thanks given by:
lolwut (10-05-2014), simonjamesconstable (10-06-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America