Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$5.00
22 hrs ago
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
Crimson Peak (Blu-ray)
$36.68
23 hrs ago
Bull Durham (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$12.74

The Awful Truth (Blu-ray)
$18.96
21 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Banned

Sep 2011
Vancouver
Default Gone With the Pope - March 2015 from Grindhouse Releasing

Grindhouse Releasing posted this video from Gone with the Pope on Christmas:

Title card at the end states coming to blu ray in March 2015

Can't believe no ones started this thread yet, but Im stoked!
Old 12-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Expert Member

Apr 2011

Massacre Mafia Style in February and Gone with the Pope in March! It's going to be a great couple of months
Old 12-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
Banned

Sep 2011
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey horror View Post
Massacre Mafia Style in February and Gone with the Pope in March! It's going to be a great couple of months
Agreed! Grindhouse is already kicking ass!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2014

I can't WAIT for this! Been looking at the trailer for many years.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
NYC

Hoping for an official announcement this week? March is right around the corner.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Banned

Sep 2011
Vancouver

March 24th!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Grindhouse Releasing has detailed the Blu-ray release of director Duke Mitchell's Gone with the Pope, which stars Duke Mitchell, Peter Milo, Jim LoBianco and Giorgio Tavolieri. The 1976 independent film sat uncompleted for decades, until the film negative and a work print were discovered in 1995, years after Mitchell's death. The completed film arrives on Blu-ray on March 24th.

Lost for over 30 years, Gone with the Pope stars famed nightclub performer Duke Mitchell as Paul, a paroled gangster with an unholy scheme: to kidnap the Pope and charge "a dollar from every Catholic in the world as the ransom. Shot in 1975, Gone with the Pope was unfinished at the time of Duke Mitchell's death in 1981. Sage Stallone and Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Releasing rediscovered the film in 1995 and vowed to save it from obscurity. Academy Award-winning film editor Murawski (The Hurt Locker, Spider-Man, Army of Darkness) spent 15 years completing Gone with the Pope from the surviving film elements.

The film features a 2K digital restoration from the original 35mm camera negative (presented in 1080p at 1.85:1), offers three lossless audio options (mono, stereo and 5.1 mixed by Emmy Award-winning mixer Marti Humphrey), and the following extras:
•In-depth interviews with stars Jim LoBianco and John Murgia, cinematographer Peter Santoro, editors Bob Leighton and Robert Florio, and legendary exploitation producer/director Matt Cimber
•Footage from the 2010 Hollywood World Premiere
•Deleted scenes and bloopers
•Liner notes by acclaimed horror novelist John Skipp
•Extensive still galleries
•Theatrical trailer
•And other surprises!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #8

Jan 2010
Cambridge,MA

I can't wait. This looks insane. Awesome double feature with Massacre Mafia
Old 02-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainefu View Post
I can't wait. This looks insane. Awesome double feature with Massacre Mafia
Since I've already seen Massacre Mafia Style I'll refrain from watching it until I get Gone with the Pope in hand and have myself a double feature Grindhouse-style!
Old 02-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
Special Member

Feb 2014

You've watched the trailer three-hundred times. If you're lucky, you actually caught a 35mm projection. (I took the day off work and drove up to Philly to see the film in a theater proper.) And now, Grindhouse Releasing are giving Duke Mitchell's legendary lost masterpiece GONE WITH THE POPE (1975/2010) its home video debut! Mitchell himself stars as Paul, a mafia assassin fresh out of a stint in the slammer. Looking for the ultimate retirement package, he hatches a plan to, as the poster says, "Kidnap the holiest man in the world." The ransom? "A dollar from every Catholic in the world." But that's neither here nor there. The screen is filled with gratuitous sailing footage, existential monologues about faith and the Holocaust, random music numbers, sappy holiday montages, endlessly quotable dialogue, some old-fashioned whackings, and everything else you'd expect from the man who unleashed MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE onto an unsuspecting world.

Filmed in 1975 around ideas scribbled on cocktail napkins, POPE remained uncompleted at the time of Duke's death in 1981. In a Perfect Storm scenario, the scraps of footage came into the possession of Oscar-winning editor Bob Murawski, who turned the refurbishing of Mitchell's film into a personal 15-year crusade, ofttimes utilizing some of Hollywood's best technicians to help finish the craziest exploitation epic the '70s never saw.

For its disc premiere (following a five-year theatrical tour), the company has obviously loaded up their platter with top shelf A/V, interviews with cast and crew (including actors Jim LoBianco and John Murgia, cinematographer Peter Santoro, editors Bob Leighton and Robert Florio and others), deleted scenes and bloopers, footage from its 2010 World Premiere, stills galleries, trailers, and plenty more. So grab your buddies, program your own Saturday night screening, and prepare for bewilderment -- you've never seen one quite like this.

Amazing Theatrical Trailer (NSFW) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQqZ...ature=youtu.be

An interview I did with Bob Murawski about the restoration of GONE WITH THE POPE:
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...rawski-on.html
Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #11

Mar 2012
Bruxelles

Alright, the core idea for this film seems to have been lifted from a joke out of Claude Lelouche's "L'aventure c'est l'aventure". But - from what I understand - that's as far as the comparison goes.

My question: Does this low-budget gangster film live up to the quality of it's trailer?
The opinions above are not my own and I firmly deny having expressed them. I did not write this either.

Blu-ray players : Sony BDP-S760 (region B) - Panasonic DMP-BD655 (region A). DVD player : Denon DVD-3930.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #12

Jun 2009

I caught the trailer for this before a 35mm screening of "Evil Dead" this past weekend. Based on the strength of the trailer alone, I'm thinking of blind-buying both GONE WITH THE POPE and MASSACRE MAFIA STYLE.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #13
Banned

Sep 2011
Vancouver
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouan View Post
Alright, the core idea for this film seems to have been lifted from a joke out of Claude Lelouche's "L'aventure c'est l'aventure". But - from what I understand - that's as far as the comparison goes.

My question: Does this low-budget gangster film live up to the quality of it's trailer?
Its pretty close! Its definitely worth your time and money.
Im stoked to be bringing it to Vancouver and seeing again.
Even bringing Dukes son in for a Q&A!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #14

Dec 2011
Dublin

Does anyone know if this is a limited release?
Ive already pre-ordered MMS but money is too tight to mention at the moment and this comes in at about $35 with shipping. I was thinking of waiting to see if the price drops or even picking one up second hand, but if there is only a limited amount being released i might just have to sell a kidney and get it.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianzombie View Post
Does anyone know if this is a limited release?
Ive already pre-ordered MMS but money is too tight to mention at the moment and this comes in at about $35 with shipping. I was thinking of waiting to see if the price drops or even picking one up second hand, but if there is only a limited amount being released i might just have to sell a kidney and get it.
$17.99 now.

I doubt it's limited.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2012
Watching Movies!!

How can you not order this after that trailer?......lol.....very excited to see this...
Old 02-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #17

Dec 2011
Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
$17.99 now.
An ordered now
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2012
Ontario, Canada

This is an absolute must own!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2014

For those who have seen both films(Massacre Mafia Style, Gone with the Pope), which one is better?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #20
Banned

Sep 2011
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecrofunk View Post
For those who have seen both films(Massacre Mafia Style, Gone with the Pope), which one is better?
Probably Massacre Mafia Style, but both of them are great.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America