Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Star Trek: Discovery Season Two (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Arrow: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$69.21

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars: Season 5, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Death Note: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99
15 hrs ago
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 03 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows

Old 10-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN
Default Class (Doctor Who spin-off)

Quote:
Following a social media tease earlier today promising some “good news” on the way, BBC Three has just announced that they have been developing a new Doctor Who spinoff series! Titled Class, the Doctor Who spinoff will be set in contemporary London and hails from YA author Patrick Ness. Set at the Coal Hill School, the fictional educational facility where Doctor Who began all the way back in 1963’s “An Unearthly Child,” Class is officially described as follows:

Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

“No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness,” says Doctor Who showrunner Stephen Moffat, “and now we’re bringing his brilliant story-telling into ‘Doctor Who’. This is growing up in modern Britain – but with monsters!”

“I’m astounded and thrilled to be entering the ‘Doctor Who’ universe,” says Ness, “which is as vast as time and space itself. There’s so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can’t wait for people to meet the heroes of ‘Class,’ to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels.”

In addition to it’s ties to Doctor Who‘s origins, the Coal Hill School has been visited throughout the series’ 50+ year run. Jenna Coleman’s Clara Oswald is currently a teacher there. Whether or not Class will feature either Clara, Danny Pink or even Susan Foreman in any capacity remains to be seen.

Class will be executive produced by Steven Moffatt, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. The Doctor Who spinoff was commissioned by Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three and Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning. It is produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three.

Eight forty-five minute episodes of the Doctor Who spinoff will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016. Look for Class to premiere in 2016.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #2

Mar 2013
USA

Interesting. With filming beginning in Spring 2016, Class should be ready for Fall 2016.

Dare I speculate that this news makes me think the rumors of "no full series of Doctor Who in 2016" are true? Perhaps we get only a few specials throughout the year, like 2009, but the BBC (and BBC America) get to promote those specials plus 8 episodes of Class next year, followed by Doctor Who S10 in early 2017.

Also, someone on the DigitalSpy forums said that Patrick Ness tweeted that this will definitely air in the US -- I'd think BBC America would want this, especially if Doctor Who gets only a few specials next year.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

Sounds kind of boring. I watch Doctor Who to see an eccentric genius travel around through time and space... this is basically the opposite of that.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

Glad to see this, there's been too much gloom around the immediate future of DW and news like this underlines the Beebs commitment to the series.

There's nothing definite on the rumours around a limited run next year, but I'd rather have quality over quantity.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Not sure how to feel about this. Sounds a bit like the Sarah Jane Adventures, except without Sarah Jane. That show was worth watching for Elisabeth Sladen... not sure about this show if they aren't going to bring anyone from Doctor who over to it.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Banned

Oct 2012

Why ruin an already good thing?
Old 10-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

If Capaldi is in the episode, I'll watch it.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
In a rubbish part of England
Send a message via MSN to Billz

The first 2 episodes are now available on iPlayer.

Episode 1 wasn't a great start, but it was saved by Peter Capaldi's cameo.
Episode 2 was a bit better though.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
Special Member

Oct 2009

Utterly fantastic.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou114 View Post
Utterly fantastic.
Yep Agree with that, there was one scene where I thought I was watching an episode of "Ash Vs Evil Dead"
Old 10-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Banned

Oct 2012

Will this be a Region A BD release eventually?

Last edited by Jett Rink; 10-30-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Will this be a BD release eventually?
Yes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Class-Serie...keywords=class
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
There's a listing on Amazon now, calling it "Doctor Who: Class" which better not be what the real title is, that's terrible...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B071CW3XXB
Old 02-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2015
SoCal

Just watched the first episode thinking it would be for kids like SJA. I was pleasantly surprised that it is the opposite, more between DW and TW. I don't think it's all that great so far. None of the characters are really likable or interesting but the shadow monster is really cool. Capaldi saved the first episode but even so, it was an awkward not-so-doctor-like scene. I got the feeling the Director said "don't steal the show."

I'll give it a chance because it's the spawn of DW and hopefully it'll get better soon.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
It probably will since it's not a kiddie show, it'd have to actually air in the US first though. Since BBC America is being weird and holding it off until April 15th to air with Doctor Who instead of airing it on it's year off to hold people over, and if their typical release schedule (for BBC America aired shows) of a 1-2 months after the finale airs stands (there's 8 episodes), I wouldn't expect a BD release until July or August at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRomanoff View Post
Just watched the first episode thinking it would be for kids like SJA. I was pleasantly surprised that it is the opposite, more between DW and TW. I don't think it's all that great so far. None of the characters are really likable or interesting but the shadow monster is really cool. Capaldi saved the first episode but even so, it was an awkward not-so-doctor-like scene. I got the feeling the Director said "don't steal the show."

I'll give it a chance because it's the spawn of DW and hopefully it'll get better soon.
Honestly, I never particularly warmed up to any character, every situation was pretty melodramatic which is probably the point since it's pretty much a teen show. Doctor Who is pretty much all ages and for whole family, but Torchwood was for adults and Sarah Jane was for kids so this has to be angsty teens... but I did actually enjoy it. I thought the first episode was one of the least interesting though.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2012
Missouri

Finally airing on BBC America. I watched the first episode not sure if I will watch anymore.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Dunlap, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
Finally airing on BBC America. I watched the first episode not sure if I will watch anymore.
I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would based on some of the things I had heard about it.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Somehow I can't see Chris Chibnall wasting time on his new version of Who wrapping up a cliffhanger from someone else's show.

Class, ironically enough, had no class.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #19

Nov 2017

Never had much time for Class: had zilch-all to do with Who, save for a brief appearance from Capaldi in the first episode and being set in Coal Hill School (which bore no resemblance to any previous Coal Hill we'd seen). Just a weak Buffy rip-off linked to Who to lure people into watching something of, otherwise, little interest.
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (12-14-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows > UK TV Shows