Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
23 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
7 hrs ago
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

One Missed Call Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.03

Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 11-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
New York City
Default price/performance AVR recommendations

I'm in the market for my first 4K receiver and I need some help from the experts...so many models and choices that it's easy to get lost in the choices...

I currently have the Denon AVR-791 from 2010...yes long time...I have an LG C7 OLED (4K, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG)...I'm still happy with my 5.1 Aperion speakers (6 Ohms, 87 dB, Recommended Power= 50-200 Watts) and I have no intention on getting a 7.1 speaker setup anytime soon...I'm looking for something that delivers excellent price/performance preferably under $500 that supports all the HDR formats (except for HDR10+) and would be a nice upgrade and compatible with my current speakers and OLED...I currently am using my AVR-791 receiver with a digital optical cable connected from my TV to the receiver so I can get 5.1 audio from my TV's built-in apps

my only issue with my current AVR-791 is that I need to crank up the volume to to really get really good loud audio...is that because the AVR-791 is only 90 watts per channel?...do I need something around 120 watts so it will be louder at lower volumes?...I'm willing to buy any manufacturer although I do like the look and feel of Denon...mainly I'm looking for a nice upgrade that won't break the bank but delivers great audio...anyone have any recommendations?

I've been online today doing some research and I've found a few that look promising...can someone tell me which one they would choose or recommend another one...I'm looking for one that supports all the HDR formats (HDR10+ doesn't matter to me) along with most or all of the audio formats (although Atmos is not vital for me right now and is more of a future upgrade path)...thanks for any help

Onkyo TX-NR686
Denon AVR-S740H
Sony STR-DN1080
Denon AVR-X2500H

Last edited by TitusTroy; 11-16-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

Jun 2012

I'm new to the home theater topic myself. I just upgraded from an older/out dated Sony home theater in a box system but I just bought the Sony DN1080, and I really like it so far. Especially for music. But it seems to deliver well all around.

I was on the fence on which one to go with myself. It was a toss up between the Sony and a Denon model, but the Denon was too big for my entertainment stand and didn't have a lot more to offer then the Sony for $70 more. And honestly, the DNR 1080 for the price is an awesome unit. I looked up a lot of reviews and info before purchasing. Pretty positive across the board, especially at that price point.

I have started my speaker setup with a 3.1 with Polk Audio speakers. Love the setup so far. And If your TV has eArc like my LG C9 OLED does, it's a simple setup with one cable from the tv to the receiver. Good luck with your purchase!
Thanks given by:
TitusTroy (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty610 View Post
I'm new to the home theater topic myself. I just upgraded from an older/out dated Sony home theater in a box system but I just bought the Sony DN1080, and I really like it so far. Especially for music. But it seems to deliver well all around
the Sony STR-DN1080 is on my short list...it gets excellent reviews across the board...good to hear you like it...
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2017
Elles Belles, Costa Plonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the Sony STR-DN1080 is on my short list...it gets excellent reviews across the board...good to hear you like it...
It gets a recommendation from me.

I have paired it up with the following speakers as fronts and centre - the results are pretty damn pleasing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3BQZ70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00V6ADU0K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by CompleteCount; 11-18-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
TitusTroy (11-19-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion