Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
22 min ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Black Sails: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$81.31

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #19341
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Honestly; the only reason that this story is getting any traction, if any, is Disney+ is the new kid in town. It is basically same story, different day whenever these ďclaimsĒ come up. Everyone gets hacked from one time or another. Hell, my pay card did a month back. Luckily I didnít have much on there. Shit happens. So in the grand scheme of things it is a drop in the vast well of the world.
Thanks given by:
octagon (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #19342
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

In lighter news. About to go dark in a few days unless I can find a internet provider at my new place. So no more streaming or gaming until I get my monthly budget and that sorted out.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #19343
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

A lot of digital apologists on here lately.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #19344
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
This is exactly what I was talking about when I said this story wasn't really news.

This is not a new story. It's an old story with new names.

It's not your fault. Far be it from me to blame the victim of my engaging conversational stylings.
If you broaden that idea, then there are really no "new" news stories. Only the names and places change.

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

-Ecclesiastes 8:9

Your "conversational stylings" are indeed most engaging. I enjoy them whether I agree with them or not.
Thanks given by:
octagon (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #19345
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
In lighter news. About to go dark in a few days unless I can find a internet provider at my new place. So no more streaming or gaming until I get my monthly budget and that sorted out.
Good luck and come back soon. I fear that a severe GIF deficiency will afflict us all if you are away for long.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #19346
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Years ago my Yahoo mail and Google mail accounts were hacked. Google responded and helped me immediately, Yahoo never responded. I only used a few simple passwords. After that I created a different password for every site that I use, closed my eyes, touched at least 10 keys at random. Now I have 159 passwords, a pain to keep up with but I have not been hacked again.

Most sites tell users not to use names, birthdays, SS#s, etc. but many do it anyway.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #19347
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Years ago my Yahoo mail and Google mail accounts were hacked. Google responded and helped me immediately, Yahoo never responded. I only used a few simple passwords. After that I created a different password for every site that I use, closed my eyes, touched at least 10 keys at random. Now I have 159 passwords, a pain to keep up with but I have not been hacked again.

Most sites tell users not to use names, birthdays, SS#s, etc. but many do it anyway.
My password is "$tealMySh*t4shore"
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-20-2019), Wendell R. Breland (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #19348
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
About to go dark in a few days unless I can find a internet provider at my new place. So no more streaming or gaming until I get my monthly budget and that sorted out.
Some time back my son moved to a new place west of you (25 miles east of Rockwall). No cable or DSL there so he used a Verizon Jetpack. Not cheap and not much data per month but he did have internet. Good luck on your endeavors.
Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #19349
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Disney+ Will Be The Death of Physical Media These YouTubers John Campea Film Critic and Robert Meyer Burnett Filmmaker say that Physical Media is on the way out. Sure it will be around for a while, but not as a mainstream Distribution. I say Digital Streaming takes on everything Digital and Physical is Physical!

Old 11-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #19350
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Meh. Everything is a death of physical media for the past decade. I’m still waiting for the death of CD from 20 since 20 years ago.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-20-2019), Vilya (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:19 AM   #19351
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Disney+ Will Be The Death of Physical Media
Thanks, I haven't gotten to use this one in a while...

Thanks given by:
The_Donster (11-20-2019), Vilya (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #19352
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Disney+ Will Be The Death of Physical Media These YouTubers John Campea Film Critic and Robert Meyer Burnett Filmmaker say that Physical Media is on the way out. Sure it will be around for a while, but not as a mainstream Distribution. I say Digital Streaming takes on everything Digital and Physical is Physical!

Disney+ Will Be The Death Of Physical Media - YouTube
People say lots of things, but that doesn't make them automatically true. The death of physical media has been predicted for years and yet it remains. All of you who keep predicting this crap are beyond boring. At least our resident prognosticator in this thread, you-know-who, makes varied, interesting and entertaining predictions. He makes me whereas you just put me to

If by "mainstream distribution" you mean the distribution method used by most people to watch content, who cares? So long as I can get what I want and how I want it, I don't care what most people do. Why would I?

Your last sentence is among the most comical that you have ever posted. "Digital streaming takes on everything digital?" What else could it possibly "take on?"

"Physical is Physical?" Really? Pizza is Pizza, too. Doughnut is Doughnut. Is there a point here? Will you ever make any damn sense? I leave you with this to ponder: is is U.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-20-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 AM   #19353
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

You lost me at Youtube.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:15 AM   #19354

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:

Ah, the resident sadist has returned once again to maniacally laugh and twirl his mustache as he gleefully pronounces the death of physical media to those who love it. Have you kicked any puppies today as well? Maybe stolen some candy from little tykes?
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-20-2019), Vilya (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:16 AM   #19355
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You lost me at Youtube.
But did you know that Youtube is Youtube? Don't believe me? Then just Google is Google it.

I'm still bemused by his last pointless sentence; watching another Chicken Little video just can't compete with that illuminating closing remark.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-20-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #19356
Special Member

Apr 2017

alchav is alchav
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #19357
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Steedeel is Steedeel
Old 11-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #19358
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
A lot of digital apologists on here lately.

Sorry (nor sorry) you have to share the sandbox with the rest of us buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Quote:
Good luck and come back soon. I fear that a severe GIF deficiency will afflict us all if you are away for long.
Some time back my son moved to a new place west of you (25 miles east of Rockwall). No cable or DSL there so he used a Verizon Jetpack. Not cheap and not much data per month but he did have internet. Good luck on your endeavors.

No worries Vilya. Iíll pop in when I can and Iím actually wondering if Iíll eventually move over to Verizon Wendell. AT&T has always been problematic around harem One of my problems with the new place is the tin roof apparently interferes with my iPhone. So Iím going to check out Suddenlink, HughesNet or get some sort of hot spot with whatever carrier I decide
Thanks given by:
octagon (11-20-2019), Vilya (11-20-2019), Wendell R. Breland (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #19359
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
If by "mainstream distribtion" you mean the distribution method used by most people to watch content, who cares? So long as I can get what I want and how I want it, I don't care what most people do. Why would I?

Your last sentence is among the most comical that you have ever posted. "Digital streaming takes on everything digital?" What else could it possibly "take on?"

"Physical is Physical?" Really?
By Mainstream Distribution I mean the way the Studios will Distribute their Movies and TV Shows. Did you listen to the Video, it's happening already. There are cost to Distribute a Movie or TV Show on Disc, more so than Digital Streaming. There has to be justification and cost studies to see if the Profit Margins are there for a Disc Release. Many feel like Wendell, the cost for a Disc Release are minimal, just stamp them out and it's all profit.

I ran out of time when I said Digital Streaming takes on everything, and Physical is Physical. You guys break down Digital Streaming with EST, SVOD, VOD, Digital HD, and Digital Streaming in general. It's all Digital Streaming vs Physical. So if Disc is Physical, then Digital Streaming should be one in the same. The Thread is Physical vs Digital Streaming!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #19360
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
By Mainstream Distribution I mean the way the Studios will Distribute their Movies and TV Shows. Did you listen to the Video, it's happening already. There are cost to Distribute a Movie or TV Show on Disc, more so than Digital Streaming. There has to be justification and cost studies to see if the Profit Margins are there for a Disc Release. Many feel like Wendell, the cost for a Disc Release are minimal, just stamp them out and it's all profit.

I ran out of time when I said Digital Streaming takes on everything, and Physical is Physical. You guys break down Digital Streaming with EST, SVOD, VOD, Digital HD, and Digital Streaming in general. It's all Digital Streaming vs Physical. So if Disc is Physical, then Digital Streaming should be one in the same. The Thread is Physical vs Digital Streaming!
No, I ignored your video link entirely. Random people giving their opinions and resurrecting ancient predictions is plentiful right here on these forums; I don't need to watch a video of more of the same.

Of course there are costs to distribute a product. Why must you always state the friggin' obvious like it is your unique insight?

Wendell can speak for himself and I suspect that he would appreciate your not attempting to do it for him. Focus on making your own statements coherent before trying to speak for anyone else. Baby steps, baby steps.

Discs would not be manufactured and distributed if the studios did not deem the effort to be significantly profitable. It is really that simple. They know their business and the market for their products.

Digital distribution has more costs than you care to realize. Maintaining massive server farms and everything associated with them is a huge and ongoing expense. A digital purchase generates revenue only once at the moment when it is purchased, but the digital provider is stuck with maintaining that server farm and paying the continual gigantic costs of operating it. A digital customer pays once for a movie and the digital provider pays indefinitely to provide access to it.

A disc purchase incurs no further expense upon the studio that made it or the retailer that sells it. Storing that purchased disc, and all expenses associated with watching it, rests entirely with the buyer. A disc buyer pays once for a movie and there are no ongoing costs for the studios, or the retailers, in order for the customer to view their disc.

Both methods of distribution, disc and digital, will continue for as long as the studios find it to be worth their while.

Your last paragraph is as bizarre as any that you have ever written. We know the name of this thread already. We already know what digital content is and how it is distributed. We already know that discs are physical media. Stating that digital streaming distributes digital content and that discs are physical media is painfully obvious, unnecessary, and pointless. Repeatedly saying this just makes it exponentially worse.

Finally, in practical terms it does not have to be digital content versus physical media; there is room for both in the home entertainment market. I use digital content for rentals and to access movies when I am away from home, but I buy discs exclusively for all content that I want to own. That's how I use both of them; others have their own reasons for why they use both. I suspect that only a small minority of us choose to view content only one way or the other. Many of us enjoy having these options.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-20-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (11-20-2019), Wendell R. Breland (11-20-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology