Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Wars: The Digital Movie Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

Solo: A Star Wars Story (iTunes)
$9.99

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (iTunes)
$9.99

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (iTunes)
$9.99

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (iTunes)
$9.99

King Kong (iTunes)
$4.99

Atomic Blonde (iTunes)
$4.99

The Big Bang Theory, Seasons 1-12 (iTunes)
$99.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (iTunes)
$9.99

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (iTunes)
$9.99

Toy Story 4 (iTunes)
$12.99

Eyes Wide Shut (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 11-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #501
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
It may not 'hurt' or especially disadvantage me to lose a dollar in my wallet, but I'm not going to set it on fire.

Is the premise that Wal-mart is so big they just wouldn't care about a multi-million dollar asset developed over 10 years? If so I'm surprised. Unless Vudu is LOSING money for Wal-mart it wouldn't make sense to trash the service. Also I'm not sure Wal-mart evaluates Vudu only on the grounds of digital sales because they've tied Vudu to a lot of cross promotions (so maybe, for example, people are buying more Oreos for Vudu credit giveaways).
I was responding to that poster's silly comment that Walmart would "parish" if they didn't keep up with "the big boys" among digital providers. The point being that whatever Vudu contributes to Walmart's $500 billion in annual revenue, it comprises a very tiny portion of it and Walmart would easily continue to prosper whatever they ultimately decide to do with Vudu.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-18-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #502
Power Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The pie (purchases overall) is getting smaller and that makes the size of digital's slice of that pie less significant.
Not sure what your point is. Digital EST is growing, that's all we can say right now.

Generally, I believe there will still be a population of crazy collectors (us ) as the market transitions from disc to digital. There are already people who have digital libraries into the hundreds or even thousands () of titles. The question is what level this part of the market will stabilize at.

One trend that could put further downward pressure on movie sell-through in general is that increasingly the studios are starting to offer their catalog through their own subscription services, rather than licensing it to intermediaries. And the former intermediaries increasingly move into their own original content. This means that more and more titles will be permanently available though subscriptions, whereas they used to be only transient on Netflix, HBO etc. Why buy the latest Marvel movie if you can be reasonably sure that it will be permanently available through your Disney+ subscription?

The other side of the coin is obviously the increasing fragmentation, which will make it harder and harder to grab market share with a new subscription service. It is far from clear where the market will eventually find its equilibrium.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:24 PM   #503
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
...It comprises a very tiny portion of it and Walmart would easily continue to prosper whatever they ultimately decide to do with Vudu.
There is no doubt of this; but I also don't think that makes shutting down Vudu without any recoup of investment logical. If I told my boss we should jettison 0.005% of our company because no one cares I might quickly find out otherwise..

Wal-mart could also go easier on their employees without crashing their bottom line and that's not always the case.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #504
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Not sure what your point is. Digital EST is growing, that's all we can say right now.

Generally, I believe there will still be a population of crazy collectors (us ) as the market transitions from disc to digital. There are already people who have digital libraries into the hundreds or even thousands () of titles. The question is what level this part of the market will stabilize at.

One trend that could put further downward pressure on movie sell-through in general is that increasingly the studios are starting to offer their catalog through their own subscription services, rather than licensing it to intermediaries. And the former intermediaries increasingly move into their own original content. This means that more and more titles will be permanently available though subscriptions, whereas they used to be only transient on Netflix, HBO etc. Why buy the latest Marvel movie if you can be reasonably sure that it will be permanently available through your Disney+ subscription?

The other side of the coin is obviously the increasing fragmentation, which will make it harder and harder to grab market share with a new subscription service. It is far from clear where the market will eventually find its equilibrium.
My point is that people are buying less content regardless of format. The steady decline in overall purchase revenue year after year clearly shows this. With so many cheap subscription streaming options, there is less incentive to buy.

Digital's growth rate, which is stalling fast, is not robust enough to reverse this overall decline. The same applies to 4K discs, which enjoy solid growth rates far above anything that digital has ever seen, but even that is not enough to reverse the drop in overall purchase revenue. People are not so much switching the format of their purchases as they are reducing their purchases altogether.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-19-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #505
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post

The growth is small which considering how many devices are out there, means people have already planted their flag in the subscription ground. Disc will outlast Digital HD (although not subscription streaming)
Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #506

Nov 2013

They will never allow us to lose all our movies if Vudu goes under. It would kill digital market if people thought their stuff could vanish some day. Won't happen.
Thanks given by:
BlurayX (11-19-2019), Coolnilk (11-19-2019), DustnBones001 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #507
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2013

This thread gives me a headache
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (11-20-2019), Coolnilk (11-19-2019), crackedknee (11-19-2019), donzo29 (11-19-2019), Dustin44 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #508
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
They will never allow us to lose all our movies if Vudu goes under. It would kill digital market if people thought their stuff could vanish some day. Won't happen.
Even with the worst outcome, most people only fear losing some of their content. Being linked to MA prevents a total loss already.

Someone might buy Vudu. I offered $5 in Monopoly money for it already in another thread; I am still waiting for Walmart to reply.

Last edited by Vilya; 11-19-2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #509
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexy25 View Post
This thread gives me a headache
If you are a masochist, stay awhile and enjoy! If not, flee while you still can!

Last edited by Vilya; 11-19-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #510
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...on-shares.html

"ROKU said the proceeds could also be used to "acquire or invest in businesses, products and technologies" that complement the company, but that it has no commitments to do so currently."

The plot thickens
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (11-19-2019), p w (11-19-2019), thanson1972 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #511
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
That’s only true if there is still a viable market. Give it a few short years and I doubt the industry would care when the mainstream have moved onto subscription.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #512
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Wal-mart could also go easier on their employees without crashing their bottom line and that's not always the case.
The same company who (last year?) closed some stores, but the employees didn't know until they showed up for work and the doors were chained and padlocked?
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (11-20-2019), cbb223 (11-20-2019), DustnBones001 (11-19-2019), Undeadcow (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #513
Expert Member

Jan 2014
The Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...on-shares.html

"ROKU said the proceeds could also be used to "acquire or invest in businesses, products and technologies" that complement the company, but that it has no commitments to do so currently."

The plot thickens
Interesting. ROKU would be the ideal buyer.
Thanks given by:
flyry (11-19-2019), thanson1972 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:35 AM   #514
Power Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygreen23 View Post
Interesting. ROKU would be the ideal buyer.
Possibly. Would they keep Vudu in MA?
Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #515
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Not to mention Walmart would be the subject of a massive class action lawsuit for selling all of those digital movies for all those years -- whether they sell Vudu or not.

It's absolutely not going to happen. Folks need to take a breath.

Roku would make a lot of sense, they could use it as their "in house" video service instead of FandangoNow and likely would be extremely easy to integrate. Guess we'll see.
Thanks given by:
Coolnilk (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:00 AM   #516
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Not to mention Walmart would be the subject of a massive class action lawsuit for selling all of those digital movies for all those years -- whether they sell Vudu or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
They changed their Terms of Service last month to add a binding arbitration clause so there can't be class actions. They are way ahead of you.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #517

Jul 2011
PA, USA

Quote:
The joke is on them.

[Show spoiler]Decision Making: People who go all in on physical and make triumphant predictions about future proofing are making faulty decisions; says the guy who has VHS copies of the unadulterated Star Wars trilogy but no VHS player or desire to watch such blurry picture quality in a world of high definition. Literally everything has an expiration be it physical or digital. It's not like your grandkids are going to be digging up UHD discs of 80 year old movies in awe.

Pawns: People who go out of their way to post irrelevant banter about how their choice in shopping is superior have some odd personal motives to the point that blurays are probably the least of their worries. Being that personally invested in format wars with little financial gain in the system seems like oddly successful marketing from the disc makers.
Or you’re reading way too much into it and the people who enjoy collecting movies as a hobby, don’t want to see people with similar interests get burned by these companies who want your trust.

Digital was sold to us as a more convenient and cost effective way to collect movies. Otherwise, you might as well just stick to Netflix if renting is more your thing. My only motive for wanting physical media to stay alive, is that is the only way to enjoy some films, a TON of content is not available digitally and probably never will be.

Lastly, these companies can go bankrupt, decide to stop selling movies, and with the flip of a switch shut down their servers. They can do this without you having any recourse because you agreed to the legalese terms of service you didn’t read that said you’re essentially renting content from them whether you “buy it” or not. Aside from someone kicking down my door and robbing me for my discs at gunpoint, or my house burning down, I retain full ownership of my discs and can play them whether Walmart or Amazon or Apple goes underwater, whenever I want.
Thanks given by:
BlurayX (11-21-2019), Undeadcow (11-20-2019), Vilya (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #518
Special Member

May 2014

I have no idea if this is a sign or not, but today I went to my local Walmart for the first time this month. Nowhere were there any displays mentioning instawatch and none of the bargain bin dvds had stickers.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #519
Expert Member

Jan 2014
The Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjerne View Post
I have no idea if this is a sign or not, but today I went to my local Walmart for the first time this month. Nowhere were there any displays mentioning instawatch and none of the bargain bin dvds had stickers.
I just don't think your average person has adopted digital ownership. If you asked random people on the street, most wouldn't even know what Vudu is. Almost no one would have a clue what Movies Anywhere is or what is does.

The studios failed so miserably with digital and continue to fail with complete incompetence. I thought maybe with MA, the studios would get it together but no. I've seen instructions on MA code slips to go to the studios own redemption site rather than MA. How stupid can they be. Digital ownership must be extremely simple in order for it to work (and it could be) but the studios keep trying to make it as complicated as possible.
Thanks given by:
Dustin44 (11-21-2019), zenpai (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #520
Power Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygreen23 View Post
I've seen instructions on MA code slips to go to the studios own redemption site rather than MA. How stupid can they be.
Pretty darn stupid, if Lionsgate's fiasco with John Wick 3 codes is any indication.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies