Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.55
1 hr ago
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99
1 hr ago
007: The Sean Connery Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.96
3 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$20.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #1201
Power Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Did an online chat with Amazon AU to find out when we'll be unblocked from the other sites and the consultant said that the sites blocked us due to the govt restrictions. What restrictions? When I asked for more information, all he could say is "I have no information." So he's saying what is happening with no idea why.

When I gave him my belief that it was the govt that made them do it and forbid them from telling anyone, he said "I can't comment."

Last edited by adamclark83; 09-15-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #1202

Sep 2009
NSW, Australia

Maybe just leave the poor customer service people alone? They've told you the same stuff over and over.
Thanks given by:
Shemp (09-23-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 12:56 AM   #1203
Special Member

Jan 2016
Melbourne

I think all we should do now is direct our business elsewhere. After moving to Zavvi, OZgameshop and ImportCds, I think they are much better than Amazon are even if they are a bit more expensive.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #1204
Power Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Side note, I have to wonder if the Australian government is actually continuing to monitor sites that ship here, to see if they go over the threshold for GST. Because I’ve ordered heaps from Zavvi and there are no changes to their algorithm in terms of adding GST. And another financial year has passed since the GST laws came about.

Also, I’ve said it before and it bears repeating, there’s a good chance Amazon US sales to Australia just weren’t what they expected after unblocking us, because several of us already adapted to other websites and weren’t as reliant as we used to be. Since the GST stuff costs them money, maybe they don’t feel that opening the other sites to us will be profitable when all is said and done. But that’s just my theory. And Amazon customer service reps are bloody hopeless, you can’t get anything through to them. I put in an order for two 4K, the funds were instantly authorised, but it didn’t ship until a week later. When I got onto Amazon, all they could do was tell me to refer to the estimated delivery dates and not to worry because it won’t be late. They couldn’t tell me why it took a week to put two items into a padded envelope.

Meanwhile I ordered a 4K from Deep Discount, and it shipped literally 2 hours later.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #1205
Power Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

According to Amazon UK, they think the change might never happen. And I find it interesting when Amazon AU said we were blocked apparently not because of the GST, but due to other import restrictions made by the government.

This would probably explain the total strangeness of why they're sites easily apply the GST when shipping to NZ but very hard to with Australia?
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #1206

Dec 2010
Victoria, Australia

I contacted Amazon UK yesterday about the 4K release of Apollo 11 which is released in November. The listing states that it can be shipped to Australia. This was their reply:

Quote:
I understand your concern regarding the item Apollo 11 4K UHD being shipped to Australia.

I checked and see that this item will be sent to Australia only after the item is released

Since it is a preorder we are unable to deliver it to Australia at this time.

I kindly request you to please place the order for this item once it is released.

This title will be released on November 4, 2019.
I have checked about 10 other titles available for pre-order and they all have the note about shipping to Australia. I haven't looked at Amazon UK for months so I don't know if this is new. Has anyone else noticed this or had contact with Amazon about it?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #1207
Power Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I've noticed for months products say "Can Be Shipped to Australia" yet when you place the order you get the message "We are unable to ship non-digital items to Australia." It's the same with the Japan store.

Also, I spoke with my local MPs office today about what import restrictions Amazon AU was talking about and all the staff-member kept saying is "We can't help you with this issue. We've done as much as we can" but the hurler came when she said "Can't you get what you want from other Amazon sites?" Clearly they don't use Amazon and have no idea how it's used. She thinks Amazon is just the one store and all sites list the exact same products.

Last edited by adamclark83; 09-17-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (09-29-2019), Mobe1969 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 04:37 AM   #1208

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
I have checked about 10 other titles available for pre-order and they all have the note about shipping to Australia. I haven't looked at Amazon UK for months so I don't know if this is new. Has anyone else noticed this or had contact with Amazon about it?
Every item the international Amazon sites flog says this, even though other than the US store they don't actually send to us anymore. It's a bloody joke and it's about time they removed that statement from their websites.
Thanks given by:
Aunt Peg (09-29-2019), Mobe1969 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #1209
Power Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
Side note, I have to wonder if the Australian government is actually continuing to monitor sites that ship here, to see if they go over the threshold for GST. Because I’ve ordered heaps from Zavvi and there are no changes to their algorithm in terms of adding GST. And another financial year has passed since the GST laws came about.

Also, I’ve said it before and it bears repeating, there’s a good chance Amazon US sales to Australia just weren’t what they expected after unblocking us, because several of us already adapted to other websites and weren’t as reliant as we used to be. Since the GST stuff costs them money, maybe they don’t feel that opening the other sites to us will be profitable when all is said and done. But that’s just my theory. And Amazon customer service reps are bloody hopeless, you can’t get anything through to them. I put in an order for two 4K, the funds were instantly authorised, but it didn’t ship until a week later. When I got onto Amazon, all they could do was tell me to refer to the estimated delivery dates and not to worry because it won’t be late. They couldn’t tell me why it took a week to put two items into a padded envelope.

Meanwhile I ordered a 4K from Deep Discount, and it shipped literally 2 hours later.
There was an article in a newspaper a couple of months ago stating that the Government is getting far more GST from international sellers than they expected and it will be reviewed in a year or two's time - I think it was two years actually.

I think the Zavvi.au site incorporates the GST within their prices so we don't see it applied but I could be wrong.

Also I doubt the ATO has the funds to monitor international sites. All Government agencies are doing it very tough with funding and have since the 'efficiency' dividend was introduced in the Hawke era.

You only have to look at the Robodebt debacle at Human Services to see that Government Agencies are cutting corners and bulling the public (and their own staff) to try to keep within budget.

Agencies are more sophisticated due to technology advances in data matching to catch people out (i.e. don't do the wrong thing because you WILL get caught) but the downside is the consistent budget cuts that both major parties apply to Departments - its simply not substantial, causes administrative shortcuts resulting in public scandals like Robodebt and the ATO's Debt Collection bullying scandal. Not to mention the mess that Immigration (of whatever its called now) is in as they have hundreds of thousands of people waiting to have applications for citizenship processed. All these issues have been in the media, goodness knows whats going on that we don't hear about.

Last edited by Aunt Peg; 09-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Thanks given by:
hiwilliam (11-17-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #1210
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Zavvi’s uk site definitely does not charge gst.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #1211
Power Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I remembered tonight that when I contacted my local MP's office to ask them what import restrictions Amazon AU were talking about, the staff-member stated that she doubts the blockage will be lifted before Christmas.

How would she know that?????
Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #1212
Power Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark83 View Post
I remembered tonight that when I contacted my local MP's office to ask them what import restrictions Amazon AU were talking about, the staff-member stated that she doubts the blockage will be lifted before Christmas.

How would she know that?????
Don't trust anything that the idiots that work in MP officers say. Really my experiences (both professional and personal) have found them to be very nice people but not very bright.

Edit: My partner thinks I'm being too harsh in my comments and that a more appropriate reply would be that 'they (the MPs staff) are not very well informed.

Just something else. If you are dealing with a local MP at any level of Government, including local, unless it is a very minor issue, always do it in writing via email. You never know when that correspondence will come in handy (I keep all my previous hard drives for that very reason). Vocal interaction means very little unless your conversation is being recorded which is actually illegal if done so without you knowledge and consent.

Last edited by Aunt Peg; 10-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 AM   #1213
Power Member

Nov 2011
Melbourne, Australia

I sent an email to Rob Mitchell's office who forwarded it to Maria Vamvakinou over a week ago and find it strange I haven't heard back from her yet.

If the government was responsible for Amazon blocking us, I'm thinking they're using this time to politely ask Amazon to keep their mouths shut.

I've been thinking. Why don't we simply pay import duties on what we buy from Amazon's sites and when it arrives, they simply take GST from that?

Last edited by adamclark83; 10-16-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #1214
Power Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark83 View Post

I've been thinking. Why don't we simply pay import duties on what we buy from Amazon's sites and when it arrives, they simply take GST from that?
It would cost the Government more to administer then they would collect.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #1215
Power Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Peg View Post
It would cost the Government more to administer then they would collect.
Also I should add that the Gillard Government (2010-2013) did in fact do a costing of Customs applying GST to imported goods but it would be cost negative so it was never pursued. Spending $10 to get back $5 is simply a bad investment.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International