Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Blu-ray)
$18.39

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99

South Park: Seasons 1-5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 07-28-2019, 05:25 AM   #1

Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada
Question Ratatouille 3D Blu-ray... will it work on my player?

Hey all,

Id really like to own a 3D copy of Ratatouille on Blu-ray but I noticed that the overseas copy that Id usually bring over to me here in Canada seems to be region B, rather than region free.

I have heard that so long as your player is region free, then it doesnt matter and the disc will read. Am I correct in my understanding of this? Id hate to purchase something that wont actually play.

The model of my Blu-ray/3D/4K player is an LG UBK80 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray Player... does anybody know if that copy of Ratatouille would be compatible with that player?

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
Canada not compatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias1901 View Post
Hey all

The model of my Blu-ray/3D/4K player is an LG UBK80 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray Player... does anybody know if that copy of Ratatouille would be compatible with that player?

Thanks.
Ratatouille 3D region B would not be compatible with your Blu-ray player, because UHD players are not region free only the 4K UHD discs are.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #3

Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada

Good to know.

I would really like to be able to view this film in 3D here in Canada... so, am I correct in the statement that there are no 4K players that also play region-free content? Hmm... is there somewhere online that I could purchase a region-free 3D Blu-ray player in that case? Was there one ever made by LG? Anyone have any recommendations??

Thanks.

Last edited by Elias1901; 08-03-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:21 AM   #4

Dec 2009

my oppo 203 model is 4k & blu ray & dvd region free

sadly that model has been discontinued
Old 08-03-2019, 02:24 AM   #5

Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkiss View Post
my oppo 203 model is 4k & blu ray & dvd region free

sadly that model has been discontinued
Does it do 3D as well? I see you only wrote 4K, Blu-ray and DVD.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2011
Maryland
Send a message via AIM to TheBlayman

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795CJ3XH/?coliid=I1SYUTADFSQW9Y&colid=24G962B60Z5QB&psc=1&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRX1KTN/ref=psdc_352697011_t1_B0795CJ3XH
Old 08-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

By licensing agreement with the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), all blu-ray and 4K disc players are region locked by their manufacturer for the playback of blu-rays and DVDs. 4K discs have no region coding. Regular blu-rays, including 3D blu-rays, and DVDs often are region coded; each movie studio can choose to region restrict their blu-ray and DVD discs, or not, as they see fit, but the players themselves are region locked for both of these formats.

"Universal" player does not mean region free; many people get these terms confused. I own an Oppo 203, an Oppo 93, and Ratatouille 3D Region B blu-ray. I have personally modified my Oppo 93 to play discs from all regions while my Oppo 203 remains Region A locked for blu-ray discs and Region 1 locked for DVD. "Universal" refers to the the wide range of disc formats that a player can play; it does not override region coding on discs. All discs players from the actual manufacturer are required to enforce region codes when they are present on a disc.

Thus, my Ratatouille 3D Region B blu-ray does play on my modified Oppo 93, but it will not play on my Oppo 203 due to the Region B coding of the disc. I could choose to modify my Oppo 203 also, but I have no need to do so as my Oppo 93 serves this purpose.

Quoted from the Oppo 203 manual, page 4:

"Discs that cannot be played: DVDs / Blu-Rays with a region code not matching the
player’s region code."

Quoted from the LG UBK80 manual, page 7:

"Regional code: This unit has a regional code printed on the rear of the unit. This unit can play only BD-ROM or DVD discs labelled same as the rear of the unit or “ALL”.

There are third party companies, such as 220 Electronics and Bombay, that sell name brand disc players that they themselves have modified to be region free, but the actual manufacturers do not do this because they are not allowed to do so per that licensing agreement with the BDA. Some players, like the Oppos, could be easily modified by their owners simply by purchasing a kit made by other companies for that purpose; these mod kits are sold on ebay and elsewhere.

"According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, all Blu-ray Disc players and Blu-ray Disc-equipped computer systems are required to enforce regional coding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes

" The usage of region coding on a Blu-ray Disc movie title is a publisher's option. A Blu-ray Disc player will play any movie title that does not have region coding applied, plus all titles of its corresponding region."

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/en/Techni...cforVideo.aspx

Last edited by Vilya; 08-03-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Good to know.

I would really like to be able to view this film in 3D here in Canada... so, am I correct in the statement that there are no 4K players that also play region-free content? Hmm... is there somewhere online that I could purchase a region-free 3D Blu-ray player in that case? Was there one ever made by LG? Anyone have any recommendations??

Thanks.
I think you are mixing terms somehow.

Al 4K discs in the world are All Region and should play on any 4K UHD player

Your 4K player and all Bluray players will play truly region free Blurays (hence Region Free). The LG players will even play 50i encodes and Region 0 DVDs.

Non modded 4K players or Bluray players will not play region locked disc that aren't from teh same region as your player.

Region modded 4K and Bluray players should play any Blurays and DVDs from anywhere in the world.

There are quite a few modded 4K players or many people just get any good 4K player and a separated Modded Bluray player which oftern can be cheaper. As mentioned above 220 and Bombay (and their Ebay fronts) sell many region free 3D capable UHD and BD players including several from LG.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #9

Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada

Could the player I currently own be modded to be region free? Or would I need a different one??
Old 08-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #10

Mar 2019
Canada
Canada

Quote:
Could the player I currently own be modded to be region free? Or would I need a different one??
You can modify LG's UHD Blu-Ray players to play any region, I believe. There are vendors that sell the circuit boards to do so for around C$75. But you have to have electronics soldering skills to install. You are definitely voiding any warranty on your player if you do this! LG's players will do 50Hz to 60Hz conversion, too, if you want to be able to watch European/Australian TV discs.

Another option, if you have a Blu-Ray burner on your computer, is to use Blu-Ray ripping software to get an image of your legally purchased disc. Then, you can burn the movie back to a double-layer BD-R disc for playback region-free. This is the cheapest approach if you already have the burner.

The big region-free player vendors do sell through Amazon.ca (e.g. 220-Electronics, Bombay Electronics), so that is another option. Prices appear to start at C$200 for the 3D-capable LG BP550.

JP

Last edited by J.P. Samson; 08-05-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Mar 2016
Alberta, Canada

Well... seeing as how I don't have electronics soldiering skills and most likely couldn't modify the player we already have on my own accord... we might be best suited to just go with one of these all region players then if it's really the easiest method of playing the region B discs, etc. and then when we get a new television for our bedroom, I'll just put our old 4K/3D LG player in there and have the all region player in the main room on our main TV...

Do they sell these particular ones on Amazon Canada? Or are they only on the US Amazon website?? If I am seeing things correct, I think I found the Canadian division of that 220 Electronics vendor for $349 CAD or so... though I could be mistaken...

I just want to be sure that if I do end up shelling out the bucks for yet another player, it is definitely the correct one that'll play that Blu-ray 3D region B copy of Ratatouille (as I do have that film on order from Amazon UK).
Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Well... seeing as how I don't have electronics soldiering skills and most likely couldn't modify the player we already have on my own accord... we might be best suited to just go with one of these all region players then if it's really the easiest method of playing the region B discs, etc. and then when we get a new television for our bedroom, I'll just put our old 4K/3D LG player in there and have the all region player in the main room on our main TV...

Do they sell these particular ones on Amazon Canada? Or are they only on the US Amazon website?? If I am seeing things correct, I think I found the Canadian division of that 220 Electronics vendor for $349 CAD or so... though I could be mistaken...

I just want to be sure that if I do end up shelling out the bucks for yet another player, it is definitely the correct one that'll play that Blu-ray 3D region B copy of Ratatouille (as I do have that film on order from Amazon UK).
If you buy a region modified player from any of these well known companies that offer them, you will be able to play Region B discs.

The region setting is something that you select on a modded player, like a TV channel, typically with the player's remote control. The player will only play discs from the region that it is currently set to play. You have to change the region setting with the remote from one region to another as needed. Likewise with DVD regions.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #13

Mar 2019
Canada

Quote:
Honestly, I have no idea if the Amazon storefront is affiliated with the actual 220-Electronics at www.220-electronics.com. I've never bought an item from them. You may want to write to the company and ask first.

Anyway, these appear to be a couple of options:

JP
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International