Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.87
1 hr ago
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.89

Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.97
3 hrs ago
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gulliver's Travels (Blu-ray)
$11.82

Mysteries of the Unseen World 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.40
20 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #141
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Just reading that is depressing, urgh.
Thanks given by:
rwc (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #142
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009

I really had to go out of my way to catch a 3D showing of "A Long Day's Journey Into Night" and it was sad that it wasn't as eye-popping use of 3D as I had been hoping it would be.

And that's the sad part, sometimes you're still longing for a 3D experience that really makes you go "wow!" and you go out of your way for it, and it ends up being "meh" at best.

Historically, technological innovations in cinema have only lasted about a decade or so unless they became absolutely standardized as part of the regular way of making movies.

So, sound and color stuck around and widescreen lensing became more or less regular. On the other hand, things like 3D, 3-strip Cinerama, 70mm films, and a few other things have been around for short periods of time and then only used sporadically, at best. Don't even get me started about Odorama!!

I think if something doesn't absolutely become the standard way of making and watching movies, it just doesn't seem to be around for long.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #143
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Pixote, to respond to your question: Why Alita and not Endgame for a home blu ray 3D release?

Marvel was a big fan of releasing their films in the US on blu ray 3D, but for Disney's tightening of their home video budget, Disney probably made them stop, and force US 3D fans to import the Marvel 3D blu rays from other countries.

With Alita being filmed in 3D, we were fortunate enough for the US version to include the 3D version with the 4K release, and it seems they're suggesting it as a bonus item. It's possible Cameron and Rodriguez pushed the distributor Fox for a blu ray 3D release, suggesting that's the ideal way to watch the film.

For End Game, the Russo brothers may already be facing the wall of Disney's US home video division being closed off to any suggestions of blu ray 3D at all. Thankfully the option to import is available.

What are your thoughts on the reasons why? In your view, is it better to be optimistic about the future of blu ray 3D, or to see things in a more pessimistic view which may turn potential new 3D fans away from considering 3D? I feel it's better to be hopeful about 3D in theaters and at home, but still aware of the situation where importing is more common these days. Ultimately, sales of 3D is what helps to keep 3D around. So whatever inspires more people to see more 3D, that's the right way to go IMO.
Well Endgame is certainly inspiring more people to see more 3D!
Thanks given by:
mredman (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #144
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Well Endgame is certainly inspiring more people to see more 3D!
As they should. Excellent 3D and should be a huge 3D Blu-Ray seller
Old 05-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #145
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
I wouldn’t say that necessarily. All it means is that people still like 3D in theaters. But people hate 3D at home. Sad but true.
People don't hate 3D at home. People hate bad 3D at home, which is what early active sets and 720p passive sets offered. So people associate home 3D with crosstalk and heavy active glasses you have to keep charged, and hope not to drop the connection like early glasses did. I suspect if they launched 3D in the beginning with full 1080p passive on UHD panels, like my 2016 LG, with a decent selection of launch titles to have gotten things started, I suspect things would have been much different now.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (05-17-2019), Freakyguy666 (05-21-2019), Paul H (05-17-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #146
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

It all comes down to one word, thankfully:

Greed.

I suspect the movies makers see it this way:

They have discovered through trial and error that about 20% of the population has the ability to watch 3D as it is intended to be viewed. They know this group is die-hard, and will attend 3D movies and buy 3D blu-rays.

They have been able to convert movies into 3D at the movies and for blu-ray at a cost that is not prohibitive to this sales group.

Endgame is an aberration. It only had large 3D sales for the same reason that 3D is also here to stay:

Greed.

They knew that everyone wanted to see Endgame and if no 2D tickets were available they would reluctantly PAY MORE for a 3D ticket just to see the movie.
This will not happen with almost any other movie from here on out. They knew Endgame was a winner and they took advantage of the situation, as they could create extra revenue by forcing people who really don't like 3D to see it in 3D and create extra revenue.

So where does that leave us?

Two goods and two bads:

The two goods:

They now know they can sell around 15% of tickets for a larger profit to the 3D crowd and with cheaper conversion to 3D costs now it is acceptable to make most of these conversions into 3D blu-rays.

So 3D cinema is here to stay and 3D blu-rays are here to stay, on a somewhat limited basis. But with greed controlling this, we can rest easy.

The two bads:

The first bad:

The day of the movie made for 3D and filmed naturally are pretty much over. The same greed will not allow this cost I am afraid.

The second bad is that diversity may indeed suffer as rwc states due to the movie industry seeing the action movies selling better.

Considering the small number of people who can actually take in and enjoy 3D, this is probably the best we could hope for. The other two times it was tried we got nothing.

But the bottom line is:

We made it. 3D is here to stay. Amen.

Last edited by wildbill722; 05-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 AM   #147
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Endgame is an aberration. It only had large 3D sales for the same reason that 3D is also here to stay:

Greed.

They knew that everyone wanted to see Endgame and if no 2D tickets were available they would reluctantly PAY MORE for a 3D ticket just to see the movie.
This will not happen with almost any other movie from here on out. They knew Endgame was a winner and they took advantage of the situation, as they could create extra revenue by forcing people who really don't like 3D to see it in 3D and create extra revenue.
Incorrect.

Endgame in the USA was shown relatively sporadically in 3D. Also, practically every imax cinema had only ONE showing in 3D per day.

So you may ask, how did endgame do so well in 3D? One word: INTERNATIONAL.

This is also the reason 3D is not going anywhere because outside the USA, people LOVE 3D because the theaters on average are NEWER and are less subject to the “dim bulb” factor that is such a huge factor in poor 3D experiences in commercial cinema.

This wisdom has been imparted to you for free.

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 05-21-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (05-21-2019), Wingman1977 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #148

Jul 2011

Quote:
It all comes down to one word, thankfully:

Greed.
It's not greed, it's business.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #149

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3 View Post
It's not greed, it's business.
Spoken like a true Bond villain

If you're serious though: greed is a subjective label that someone like wildbill722 is entitled to use to express their opinion of a type of commercial activity (in this case, the major studios' use of 3D). Responding "no, it's business" is like if someone called me a jerk and I replied "I'm not a jerk, I'm a human being" - both things can in fact be true simultaneously (as I'm sure you'll agree )
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #150
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
Hi rwc

The closest a bond villan came close to saying that was Sanchez when he was about to drop Felix Lighter into the jaws of a great white shark. Sanchez quoted Don Corleone "I want you to know this isn't personal. It's strictly business".
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-21-2019), rwc (05-21-2019), wildbill722 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:

But the bottom line is:

We made it. 3D is here to stay. Amen.
Hi wild,. Yup,

3D is still alive.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #152

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
The closest a bond villan came close to saying that was Sanchez when he was about to drop Felix Lighter into the jaws of a great white shark. Sanchez quoted Don Corleone "I want you to know this isn't personal. It's strictly business".
Spot on Joe (I was imagining Elliot Carver played by Jonathan Pryce saying the greed/business line)
+ Originally of course that sense of the phrase was from real-life Mob accountant Otto Berman, who coined it
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #153
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Incorrect.

Endgame in the USA was shown relatively sporadically in 3D. Also, practically every imax cinema had only ONE showing in 3D per day.

So you may ask, how did endgame do so well in 3D? One word: INTERNATIONAL.

This is also the reason 3D is not going anywhere because outside the USA, people LOVE 3D because the theaters on average are NEWER and are less subject to the “dim bulb” factor that is such a huge factor in poor 3D experiences in commercial cinema.

This wisdom has been imparted to you for free.
Unfortunately you like to make up facts to suit your story. That "dim bulb" story is just wrong. Viewers in China and the rest of the world are just like the US 3D viewer. Both were forced into watching 3D because there was no where else to go. If they wanted to see Endgame in China, where most if not all of the theaters are 3D, or here in the US, in many instances they were forced to watch 3D. The difference is in China is they are not smart enough to put their foot down like the people in the US are, as the good people of China watch it in 3d or nothing. Face it. 3D is not for everyone and is in fact only for a very few. The FACT that there are less than 15 laser IMAX 3D movie theaters in all of the US speaks to that.

And so I stick by my guns that this is greed and not business as to Endgame. For they only herd the masses into 3D when they can. And at a premium. That's not business. That's old fashioned bad greedy guts. The "good" greed was there realizing that a certain group would pay a premium happily to get 3D. Still greed to some extent, but not on the level of the greed in the Endgame case.

Talk about contradicting yourself. Do you really believe that many more people just love 3D in China than do here in the US? Why? Because our bulbs are dim? There is definitely a dim bulb here alright. Unfortunately it is over your head. You are silly. Your wisdom is free. And that's just what it's worth. Nothing.

And here's one to grow on.

Last edited by wildbill722; 05-22-2019 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #154
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Unfortunately you like to make up facts to suit your story. That "dim bulb" story is just wrong. Viewers in China and the rest of the world are just like the US 3D viewer. Both were forced into watching 3D because there was no where else to go. If they wanted to see Endgame in China, where most if not all of the theaters are 3D, or here in the US, in many instances they were forced to watch 3D. The difference is in China is they are not smart enough to put their foot down like the people in the US are, as the good people of China watch it in 3d or nothing. Face it. 3D is not for everyone and is in fact only for a very few. The FACT that there are less than 15 laser IMAX 3D movie theaters in all of the US speaks to that.

And so I stick by my guns that this is greed and not business as to Endgame. For they only herd the masses into 3D when they can. And at a premium. That's not business. That's old fashioned bad greedy guts. The "good" greed was there realizing that a certain group would pay a premium happily to get 3D. Still greed to some extent, but not on the level of the greed in the Endgame case.

Talk about contradicting yourself. Do you really believe that many more people just love 3D in China than do here in the US? Why? Because our bulbs are dim? There is definitely a dim bulb here alright. Unfortunately it is over your head. You are silly. Your wisdom is free. And that's just what it's worth. Nothing.

And here's one to grow on.
Making up facts is either your strong-suit or you simply are too ignorant to know the difference between a fact and speculation.

To recap, you speculated that 3D was artificially high for endgame but presented it as a fact: “They knew that everyone wanted to see Endgame and if no 2D tickets were available they would reluctantly PAY MORE for a 3D ticket just to see the movie.

I then pointed-out the FACT that the vast majority of North American theaters were showing endgame in 2D. So whoever “they” is, didn’t force anyone in the biggest economy in the known universe to watch 3D—just the opposite, they forced the majority of the public to watch in 2D. Just ask the posters in the 3D forums how few 3D showings there were.

And rather than admitting I was right and you were simply speculating, you “hold to your guns”.

Sticking with the cowboy analogy...you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 05-22-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #155
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Alaska

I imagine James Cameron's glasses free 3D might catch on (here's hoping)!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #156
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I imagine James Cameron's glasses free 3D might catch on (here's hoping)!
I'll believe in glass-free 3D when I can see it
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #157
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
I'll believe in glass-free 3D when I can see it
Same here.

Wonder how many theaters in the U.S. will be equipped to handle something like glasses-free 3D in time for Avatar 2's December 17, 2021 release. Possible maybe, but theatrical is a miraculous idea that's hard to believe.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #158
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Same here.

Wonder how many theaters in the U.S. will be equipped to handle something like glasses-free 3D in time for Avatar 2's December 17, 2021 release. Possible maybe, but theatrical is a miraculous idea that's hard to believe.
If the theaters do convert, then we should brace ourselves for dozens of shoddy conversions to glasses-free 3D following Avatar's release.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #159
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Making up facts is either your strong-suit or you simply are too ignorant to know the difference between a fact and speculation.

To recap, you speculated that 3D was artificially high for endgame but presented it as a fact: “They knew that everyone wanted to see Endgame and if no 2D tickets were available they would reluctantly PAY MORE for a 3D ticket just to see the movie.

I then pointed-out the FACT that the vast majority of North American theaters were showing endgame in 2D. So whoever “they” is, didn’t force anyone in the biggest economy in the known universe to watch 3D—just the opposite, they forced the majority of the public to watch in 2D. Just ask the posters in the 3D forums how few 3D showings there were.

And rather than admitting I was right and you were simply speculating, you “hold to your guns”.

Sticking with the cowboy analogy...you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
I hate family squabbles.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #160

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post

If you're serious though: greed is a subjective label that someone like wildbill722 is entitled to use to express their opinion of a type of commercial activity (in this case, the major studios' use of 3D). Responding "no, it's business" is like if someone called me a jerk and I replied "I'm not a jerk, I'm a human being" - both things can in fact be true simultaneously (as I'm sure you'll agree )
Thank you, I think I like being a Bond villain.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion