Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$132.99

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

American Mummy 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.79

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.65

Nurse 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.25

$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #2041
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
There are still plenty of 3D Blu-ray players being made but the same manufacturers are not making TV sets to play them with. It's totally daft. I even saw one retailer, here in the UK, advertise a TV, which of course was not 3D equipped advertised with "3D Blu-ray player included"
Are you certain that new 3D Blu-ray players are being manufactured, rather than retailers trying to clear a surplus of old stock from years past through packaged bundles? As a N. American consumer, I'm genuinely curious. I'm convinced that 3D is on its last legs here, but maybe the 3D market is more resilient in Europe?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #2042

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R View Post
There are still plenty of 3D Blu-ray players being made but the same manufacturers are not making TV sets to play them with. It's totally daft. I even saw one retailer, here in the UK, advertise a TV, which of course was not 3D equipped advertised with "3D Blu-ray player included"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
Are you certain that new 3D Blu-ray players are being manufactured, rather than retailers trying to clear a surplus of old stock from years past through packaged bundles? As a N. American consumer, I'm genuinely curious. I'm convinced that 3D is on its last legs here, but maybe the 3D market is more resilient in Europe?
Yes, they are still being made. For an expensive example, the brand new Oppo UDP-203/205 support 3D http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/
The only manufacturer that has discontinued 3D across its entire line is Samsung. Others, still support 3D on some currently in production models.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:44 PM   #2043
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2017

There's still plenty of love here for it but what percentage that is I do not know.
Movies are still being made and released in the cinema in 3D but the fact that TV manufacturers have almost quit making sets is an issue.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #2044
Special Member

Jul 2009

It's very minor for a Blu-ray player to support 3D, certainly no more complex than BD-Live which is hardly being used at all anymore yet all new players still support that.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #2045
Power Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
It's very minor for a Blu-ray player to support 3D, certainly no more complex than BD-Live which is hardly being used at all anymore yet all new players still support that.
Indeed. Yet the new Panasonic player omits it anyway.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #2046
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
Indeed. Yet the new Panasonic player omits it anyway.
Omits BD-Live ?

Specs show Full HD 3D:

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.42.25 AM copy.jpg
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #2047
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Out of these seven UHD BR players, guess how many and which ones don't support 3D?
http://www.techradar.com/news/video/...ht-now-1321481

Of course there are other 4K BR players that also support 3D; Oppo 205, Sony 800 and 1000, LG 970, ...

If you love 3D, you have many choices in newer 4K BR players...no problemo.
If you love 2D, you also have many choices.
If you love 4K, the same.
If you love life, life is full of goodies.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 08-15-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: #
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-16-2017), revgen (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #2048

May 2008

I sincerely hope it's not dead. I just started to get into it.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #2049
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

The day 3D dies that'll be the day.

* Alien: Covenant ... I just bought the Blu-ray today ... https://fansided.com/2017/05/17/is-a...ovenant-in-3d/
I looked around for a 3D version...bummer! And Ridley Scott too! ...Strange, very.

But!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Do push ↑ that red button

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 08-15-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #2050
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Out of these seven UHD BR players, guess how many and which ones don't support 3D?
http://www.techradar.com/news/video/...ht-now-1321481

Of course there are other 4K BR players that also support 3D; Oppo 205, Sony 800 and 1000, LG 970, ...

If you love 3D, you have many choices in newer 4K BR players...no problemo.
If you love 2D, you also have many choices.
If you love 4K, the same.
If you love life, life is full of goodies.

T2 TRAINSPOTTING - Choose Life - YouTube
The article forgot to mention the LG UP970. Which also supports 3-D and will have future support for Dolby Vision.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #2051
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
The article forgot to mention the LG UP970. Which also supports 3-D and will have future support for Dolby Vision.
So out of the seven UHD players in the article only one, the Samsung UBD-M9500 doesn't support 3D?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:05 AM   #2052
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Yep. And it doesn't support Dolby Vision either despite being released in 2017.

Also, it's priced higher than the UP970 which has a MSRP of $249.00 USD.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #2053
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
Yes I know; that's why I mentioned it myself, among couple more from Sony (800 & 1000).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
So out of the seven UHD players in the article only one, the Samsung UBD-M9500 doesn't support 3D?
Correct, only that Samsung model.

All in all the majority of all UHD BR players (97.3%) do support 3D.
3D is very strong with the force; it is so strong actually that they wouldn't/couldn't include it in the new UHD BR specs. That way they could get away/compete with brighter TVs for only 4K among themselves and jack the prices up and collect from the masses...business 101 @ the service of low cost, higher returns and bye bye the true art dimensional cinema.

As for not including Atmos with some of the 3D Blu-rays (Warner Bros); that, is an insult. It shows once more what the movie industry is all about; satisfying their vaults, and without evolving in the right technological artistic better 3-dimensional cinema quality of life.

North America is behind other countries when it comes to the arts and designs and entertainment. Italians, Germans, French, Japanese, Chinese, Arabians, ... are ahead; 3D Blu-rays, cars, clothes, watches, skyscrapers, museums, food, ...
In general, for few things...we could write some books...

Who makes 3D BR players? ...3D BR movies?

Within the next five years, if we make it that far, North America will catch up a little, with 3D. ...Before 8K. In the interim we play the game; we buy from other countries the 3D Blu-rays that aren't available here. The Hollywood studios still make money and they have less work to do. That way they can collect on what they're investing in; 4K. And the masses embrace 4K like their brand newborn baby. No more 3D glasses to buy and wear @ $5 a piece (passive). And the OLEDs are getting brighter, and the projectors are aligning for laser lights, slowly and expensively.
And speaking of front projectors, most decent ones (low and high prices) they support 3D as well, in the solid majority.
When none of the projectors offer 3D no more, than 3D will be even closer to death. ...For full death, IMAX 3D and Cineplex 3D will have to die too; all of them. That scenario will NEVER happen, not on this planet.

Planet Earth next episode (BBC) will be in 3D/4K before it gets in 8K.
And the only people wearing 3D glasses will be the VR (Virtual Reality) gamers.

Brace yourself, lace your skating shoes and slide across the shiny mirrors of smooth 3D Life. It's like spinning an album on the acrylic surface of an analog turntable. That, or go all digital: 4K...but only in sterile/antiseptic 2D.

Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-16-2017), revgen (08-16-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #2054
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

With four big blockbusters being released on blu ray within two months (apes, wonder woman, T2, transformers) wouldn't exactly say "we" as in 3D are dead.

Still believe 3D TV will reappear in small but steady production, with it being modestly promoted as an extra feature and nothing more. Passive or active, who knows? And probably just a few name brands.

But the college kids today going to the movies in a few years will be on their own and though what television they purchase won't be the most important thing on their agenda in this computer and communications age, there will still be a large segment purchasing them. Don't rule out the thought of home theater with 3D as an extra feature (no more hype about buying a 3D television) appealing to enough of them for the industry to give it another try.

As long as 3D exists in the theater, it can be a stepping stone for the home. I truly believe so.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (08-17-2017), Steedeel (08-17-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #2055
Special Member

Feb 2008
Norwich - UK

I think if they release 3d discs then it's alive. Not much room for growth though if production of 3d tv's has ended.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #2056

Oct 2009
GA

Just keep on releasing 3D blu-rays and I will keep buying them.. even though some of them are gimped with inferior audio track but I will support this format till the end. It would be funny if some of these blockbuster titles where 3D actually outperforms the 4K UHD. Or the studio can just release 3D with the 4K and they will sell more for both formats and we don't have to choose.
Thanks given by:
Jbug (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #2057
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyllr View Post
Just keep on releasing 3D blu-rays and I will keep buying them.. even though some of them are gimped with inferior audio track but I will support this format till the end.

It would be funny if some of these blockbuster titles where 3D actually outperforms the 4K UHD.
Or the studio can just release 3D with the 4K and they will sell more for both formats and we don't have to choose.
It's funny you just said that, because it starting to make some news.
Some UHD BR titles are mediocre compared to their 3D versions.

And, Sony and Disney are testing what you've just said in the second part; it works with me for the movie titles I'm interested in. But it's only few BR titles; it goes not far enough.

And I just don't know how many times Hollywood movie studios have to be told that 3D immersive audio shouldn't be exclusive of 4K BR movies. The more stubborn they keep @ it the less they'll see their profits improve. That's what I'm pretty confident. By objecting to share the 3D immersive audio all across the board (3D and 1080p 2D) they espouse an hating attitude.
And hate is not part of Blu-ray values.
Thanks given by:
film11 (08-18-2017), Jbug (08-18-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #2058
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyllr View Post
Just keep on releasing 3D blu-rays and I will keep buying them.. even though some of them are gimped with inferior audio track but I will support this format till the end. It would be funny if some of these blockbuster titles where 3D actually outperforms the 4K UHD. Or the studio can just release 3D with the 4K and they will sell more for both formats and we don't have to choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
It's funny you just said that, because it starting to make some news.
Some UHD BR titles are mediocre compared to their 3D versions.

And, Sony and Disney are testing what you've just said in the second part; it works with me for the movie titles I'm interested in. But it's only few BR titles; it goes not far enough.

And I just don't know how many times Hollywood movie studios have to be told that 3D immersive audio shouldn't be exclusive of 4K BR movies. The more stubborn they keep @ it the less they'll see their profits improve. That's what I'm pretty confident. By objecting to share the 3D immersive audio all across the board (3D and 1080p 2D) they espouse an hating attitude.
And hate is not part of Blu-ray values.

Great post fellas! LOTR where did you hear that about Sony & Disney? Please post it as that is interesting news for us 3D blu fans. It's also good to see Disney release their first 4k blu (GOTGv2) with the 3D version. I'm not sure what they will follow up that with concerning like combos or even if they will but I'm sure it will sell well. A glimmer of hope perhaps. In the meantime, I'm sticking to 3D first over 4k as that is my priority but will support the combos.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:10 AM   #2059
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Great post fellas! LOTR where did you hear that about Sony & Disney? Please post it as that is interesting news for us 3D blu fans. It's also good to see Disney release their first 4k blu (GOTGv2) with the 3D version. I'm not sure what they will follow up that with concerning like combos or even if they will but I'm sure it will sell well. A glimmer of hope perhaps. In the meantime, I'm sticking to 3D first over 4k as that is my priority but will support the combos.
Hi jbug,

Agree about all the great posts!

And if Disney is even remotely considering something new with blue ray and 3D it means the nails are not quite on the coffin yet.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #2060
Banned

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
You got that one from Disney:

And from Sony:

WB:

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 08-19-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, 4k3d, broadcast, external processor, ode, poping, resurrection