Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

The Birth of a Nation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.90

Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.08

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hellboy Animated 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Hell Fest 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.66

Field of Dreams 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.20
3 hrs ago
Wild 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 03-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzel View Post
Thanks for the impressions guys! Seems like it's a pretty underrated movie then. Anymore thoughts on PQ? Seems like it would be a great movie for HDR.
PQ is very good, although nothing really outstanding IMO. As stated before, a few highlights here and there do look quite nice. Usage of the wider color gamut is where this UHD presentation really shines I think.

Anyway, for 15 bucks you cannot really go wrong with this one.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #62
Power Member

Feb 2013
Bay Area, CA

May do a quick bd screencap | uhd explanation comparison later today. Want to also try taking screencaps of the 3d version if possible (sold my copy but have a co-worker that can borrow from today).
Old 03-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #63
Power Member

Feb 2013
Bay Area, CA

Finally able to do some BD screencap | 3D screencap (left eye data stream) | UHD explanation comparisons. 3d on the left, bd on the right, quick uhd description at the end.

The 3D contains good depth and detail but its presentation is ruined by a ginormous amount of banding and skin posterization along with some macroblocking. The BD looks much cleaner in comparison but does retain some of the banding and macroblocking in some of the scenes -

(the 3d and bd caps were taken at the exact frame despite the brightness, color and positioning difference)

As for the UHD it eliminates the banding and posterization issues but a few bits of macroblocking remain here and there, and the colors of the UHD look more similar to the BD.

Lastly have a quick BD screencap | UHD explanation.

Sun looks good if not a little overexposed in the BD -

But is rendered a little more clearly in the UHD.

There's an overexposed patch of lighting at the center of the BD -
A clearly defined lightning bolt along with more cloud detail can be seen in the UHD (it goes by pretty quickly, had to pause and step advance to make sure I was looking at the exact frame).

The dark background is largely crushed and contains macroblocking in the BD -

Macroblocking is cleaned up and the black crush lifted (while maintaining the same contrast) allowing more of the stone structure to be seen in the UHD.

Edit: Some of the caps weren't appearing. Fixed.

Last edited by vincentric; 03-26-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #64
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Jeez that banding is atrocious.
Thanks given by:
vincentric (03-26-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #65
Power Member

Feb 2013
Bay Area, CA

The green and pink highlighting the bands in static images look bad enough but it's even worse while in motion it pulsates like a heartbeat, it looks as if the 3D is about to have a heart attack.

It looks pretty bad in Hacksaw Ridge as well.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #66
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Instead of paying $18 for Last Witch Hunter I paid $5 more and got the pack with this in it too. Should have saved my $5, what a piece of crap.

UHD looks... good, I guess? The movie looks terrible so it's hard to really praise the UHD. I imagine for what the movie is supposed to look like it's pretty nice though. I didn't think it was as bright and sunshiney as some of the reviews suggested, it has a darker edge to it most of the time. See Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor for a movie so bright you gotta wear shades. It looked nice though, more or less.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:32 AM   #67

Sep 2010

I brought the 3 pack a while back mostly for Enders Game but found I enjoyed Last Witch Hunter more than I thought I would. Sure, it's really flawed but a lot of fun. I decided since I enjoyed that so much I'd give this a fair shot and boy howdy was this ever terrible! The transfer itself is fine on a technical level but the movie is just so poor in just about every aspect that I couldn't find much enjoyment in it at all.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

I was really looking forward in seeing this in the theater at the time, was expecting some Clash/Wrath Of The Titans (I love those two!) type of movie. But the hokey humor and clunky special effects made it a major disappointment at first. Hard to believe this was made by the same guy who directed The Crow and Knowing amongst others.

I still decided to get both the US 3D and 4K releases (don't ask me how much I paid for that at the time upon release, sometimes importing can be hella expensive) because I did like the action and fantasy sequences. Now after multiple viewings it has grown on me. Sure it's stupid as hell and it's a bad movie in almost every aspect indeed but to me it's one of those cases where a bad movie still can be enjoyable to watch. I just take it for what it is. It's kind of on a "so bad, it's good" level to me and besides, I love looking at Elodie Yung in this movie.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #69

May 2017
Massachusetts

I bought this UHD for the eye candy (or so I was led to believe) but I find it's color grading is too monochromatic for my taste.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #70
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
I bought this UHD for the eye candy (or so I was led to believe) but I find it's color grading is too monochromatic for my taste.
Yeah it's all kind of blandly brown/orange without a lot of pizzaz, despite reviews saying otherwise. I watched Last Witch Hunter later the same day and it looked a million times better.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #71
Special Member

Jan 2013

We watched this last night, and I surprisingly liked it. It wasn't an epic film, but it had some cool moments in it.
Thanks given by:
LoSouL (01-14-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies