Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$132.99

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.99

Jaws: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Bait 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.69

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.43

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.79

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.51

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.41

Ice Age: Collision Course 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.15

Nurse 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Polar Express 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #821
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrockard View Post
That’s a [largely] auto-conversion. So no, not in the same bracket I’d say.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...53&postcount=9
There are automatic processes in all 3D conversions. The difference is the degree to which they are used. Predator 3d qualifies as a legacy conversion that requires manual inputs and costs millions of dollars to implement.

And the results are superior to any auto conversion—and a vast improvement over I, Robot. And as mentioned, 3D is used throughout, unlike Titanic 3D where either due to budget or time or conscious decision-making, elements were left FLAT.
Thanks given by:
yukon30305 (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #822
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
There are automatic processes in all 3D conversions. The difference is the degree to which they are used. Predator 3d qualifies as a legacy conversion that requires manual inputs and costs millions of dollars to implement.
Ah Freaky! I do love your black and white view of the world. I like to think that in a parallel universe there’s a version of you arguing that there are manual processes in all auto-conversions so Pred 3D qualifies as an auto-conversion!

I guess the truth is that it’s somewhere in between a proper Conversion Studio effort and a German Auto Conversion. IMHO it’s closer to the latter but you may well argue the opposite.

To my mind, I guess we were referring to efforts that the studio deemed worthy of a theatrical release....but I haven’t seen Pred 3D so I’ll have to defer to yours and others opinions in the Pred 3D thread.

Quote:
And the results are superior to any auto conversion—and a vast improvement over I, Robot. And as mentioned, 3D is used throughout, unlike Titanic 3D where either due to budget or time or conscious decision-making, elements were left FLAT.
By flat, do you mean cardboard cutout-esque? Does Pred 3D have greater volume and fewer conversion errors than Titanic in your opinion?
Thanks given by:
Count Orlok (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #823
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Ah Freaky! I do love your black and white view of the world. I like to think that in a parallel universe there’s a version of you arguing that there are manual processes in all auto-conversions so Pred 3D qualifies as an auto-conversion!

I guess the truth is that it’s somewhere in between a proper Conversion Studio effort and a German Auto Conversion. IMHO it’s closer to the latter but you may well argue the opposite.

To my mind, I guess we were referring to efforts that the studio deemed worthy of a theatrical release....but I haven’t seen Pred 3D so I’ll have to defer to yours and others opinions in the Pred 3D thread.

By flat, do you mean cardboard cutout-esque? Does Pred 3D have greater volume and fewer conversion errors than Titanic in your opinion?
There are literally million$ of reasons separating the Predator conversion from an “auto-conversion”. I had watched it with much skepticism and was pleasantly surprised. Of course as always it depends on your set-up (screen size, 3d processing, brightness, etc) but it is a substantial improvement over the 2D, especially when the Predator is in “camo” mode.

In titanic, as others have already verified, there are scenes where there was a conscious decision to minimize—if not eliminate—3D, especially in backgrounds. One such example involves the Titanic itself in the background early on in the film.

Watch it with a critical eye and you may find you agree with me more than you care to admit.

That said, I agree that there are degrees of differentiation between Pred 3d’s conversion process and a full-blown “manual” conversion, but keep in mind that a lot more these days is automated in so-called “manual” conversions as well, yet the conversions are SUPERIOR to prior conversions done with more manpower. The point is that a higher manpower-to-automation ratio does not necessarily equate to superior quality. Not anymore at least. I believe you know this.

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 06-30-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (07-01-2020), yukon30305 (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #824
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
That said, I agree that there are degrees of differentiation between Pred 3d’s conversion process and a full-blown “manual” conversion, but keep in mind that a lot more these days is automated in so-called “manual” conversions as well, yet the conversions are SUPERIOR to prior conversions done with more manpower. The point is that a higher manpower-to-automation ratio does not necessarily equate to superior quality. Not anymore at least. I believe you know this.
Well that was my assumption as well but if you look at the cited 'man-hours' to convert movies the trend is upwards not downwards.

Titanic - 14 months x 450 people = 6300 man-hours (man-months?!)
Jurassic Park - 9.5 months x 700 people = 6650 man-months
T2 - 8 Months x 1800 people = 14400 man-months

I, Robot / Predator? - 3 months x 3 people = 9 man-months

Can anyone cite the number of people and length of time to convert a modern movie such as something from the Marvel or Star Wars franchises?

I've no doubt that at somepoint AI will advance to a point that the conversion is automated and the human input is entirely from a creative standpoint. For me, that's what'll revitalize 3D at home again - content at minimal cost.

Last edited by Rickyrockard; 07-01-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #825

Dec 2017

Quote:

I've no doubt that at somepoint AI will advance to a point that the conversion is automated and the human input is entirely from a creative standpoint. For me, that's what'll revitalize 3D at home again - content at minimal cost.
I mean they could've just gotten Skynet to do it, right???
Thanks given by:
yukon30305 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #826
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansFan View Post
I mean they could've just gotten Skynet to do it, right???
Thanks given by:
aviosis (07-02-2020), Count Orlok (07-01-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:17 AM   #827
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Well that was my assumption as well but if you look at the cited 'man-hours' to convert movies the trend is upwards not downwards.

Titanic - 14 months x 450 people = 6300 man-hours (man-months?!)
Jurassic Park - 9.5 months x 700 people = 6650 man-months

I, Robot / Predator? - 3 months x 3 people = 9 man-months

Can anyone cite the number of people and length of time to convert a modern movie such as something from the Marvel or Star Wars franchises?

The relative lack of man-hours in Titanic’s conversion vs the other 2 legacy conversions reinforces the notion that Titanic’s 3D is not as good as hyped by most on this thread.

Wrt improving technology, I recall hearing in the interviews with the 3D studio that handles conversions for MCU they cited advances in technology that allow them to output the conversions much more quickly than when they first started conversions. The conversion timeframe reference was comparing more recent MCU with the very first Avengers.

Last edited by Freakyguy666; 07-02-2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #828
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
The relative lack of man-hours in Titanicís conversion vs the other 2 legacy conversions reinforces the notion that Titanicís 3D is not as good as hyped by most on this thread.

Wrt improving technology, I recall hearing in the interviews with the 3D studio that handles conversions for MCU they cited advances in technology that allow them to output the conversions much more quickly than when they first started conversions. The conversion timeframe reference was comparing more recent MCU with the very first Avengers.
I think you really need to get over the fact that many 3D fans (me included) really enjoyed it and thought the 3D enhanced the film.
Thanks given by:
Count Orlok (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #829
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I think you really need to get over the fact that many 3D fans (me included) really enjoyed it and thought the 3D enhanced the film.
I think you really need to get over the fact your enjoyment and an objective measure of the strength of 3D quality are not necessarily proportional.
Thanks given by:
yukon30305 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #830
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I think you really need to get over the fact your enjoyment and an objective measure of the strength of 3D quality are not necessarily proportional.
All that matters here is that people enjoyed the experience. Period. Thatís why we are here, to enjoy 3D. Reading over the last few pages, it seems to personally irritate you that many have really enjoyed this disc. It comes across like you are trying to preach to people who already have a good understanding of 3D and how it works.

Let it go.
Thanks given by:
aviosis (07-02-2020), Count Orlok (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #831
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Great looking disc, great 3D, great movie!
Thanks given by:
Count Orlok (07-02-2020), Steedeel (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #832

Nov 2007
Okolona, KY

Quote:
Although Alice would disagree, I believe the Duchess may have had a point:

'If everybody minded their own business,' the Duchess said, in a hoarse growl, 'the world would go round a deal faster than it does.'

Certainly the earth isn't going to stop spinning because people have different opinions about the look of a film. In this instance I'm happy with the 3-D effect on display in a movie not originally shot with 3-D in mind. I don't think anyone is handing out prizes for Best Conversion, so the argument is purely academic.

Carry on.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #833
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Shane View Post
Although Alice would disagree, I believe the Duchess may have had a point:

'If everybody minded their own business,' the Duchess said, in a hoarse growl, 'the world would go round a deal faster than it does.'

Certainly the earth isn't going to stop spinning because people have different opinions about the look of a film. In this instance I'm happy with the 3-D effect on display in a movie not originally shot with 3-D in mind. I don't think anyone is handing out prizes for Best Conversion, so the argument is purely academic.

Carry on.
Thanks for reinforcing precisely my thoughts.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #834
Power Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
All that matters here is that people enjoyed the experience. Period. That’s why we are here, to enjoy 3D. Reading over the last few pages, it seems to personally irritate you that many have really enjoyed this disc. It comes across like you are trying to preach to people who already have a good understanding of 3D and how it works.

Let it go.
Since you’ve clearly failed to comprehend the situation, I’ll clarify it:

If given a choice between titanic in 2D, 4k, hdr, or 3D, I would choose the 3D every time. It is a very good conversion for the most part. I enjoy many of the scenes within it.

But is it top tier 3D like many have tried to suggest? Absolutely not.

Cheers!
Thanks given by:
yukon30305 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #835

Feb 2015
London, England

Enough repetitive bickering please.
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (07-02-2020), LeMansFan (07-02-2020), Rickyrockard (07-02-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies