Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Whiplash 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
20 hrs ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
3 hrs ago
Pitch Black 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Flash Gordon 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The New York Ripper 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.20

Onward 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.10

Superman: Man of Tomorrow 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #5761
Expert Member

Oct 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
That's what happens on my LG C9 OLED. The picture dims (for the most part) when playing 4K UHD HDR content, even when my 820's optimizer is set to On. Now, it is my understanding that OLEDs are naturally darker/dimmer than most TVs for HDR content because they can only output about 700-800 nits. This explains why it is dim when the DLM is not turned on. But, I have also read that the DTM allows the TV to remap the HDR picture to compensate for that. The downside is that the algorithm that the C9 has can sometimes helps the picture and it can sometimes clip/ruin the picture. The DTM hasn't been perfected yet. This is probably why most have recommended that the DTM setting should be not activated. But without it, the picture remains relatively dim. It just seems like there are a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to HDR content and how it is played/outputted on a screen.
I've been playing about with settings this evening, and if I turn DTM off on the TV I have to then set the 820's Dynamic Range Enhancer to about +6 for it to match what the TV was doing, however it doesn't look quite as good. Keep in mind my TV can only produce around 500 nits of brightness, so it's far from great in that regard.

I dunno, HDR can be great, but it's also giving me a headache to get consistently good results! I've noticed flesh tones can be a bit too red as well, despite leaving colour at 50%.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #5762

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
That's what happens on my LG C9 OLED. The picture dims (for the most part) when playing 4K UHD HDR content, even when my 820's optimizer is set to On. Now, it is my understanding that OLEDs are naturally darker/dimmer than most TVs for HDR content because they can only output about 700-800 nits. This explains why it is dim when the DLM is not turned on. But, I have also read that the DTM allows the TV to remap the HDR picture to compensate for that. The downside is that the algorithm that the C9 has can sometimes helps the picture and it can sometimes clip/ruin the picture. The DTM hasn't been perfected yet. This is probably why most have recommended that the DTM setting should be not activated. But without it, the picture remains relatively dim. It just seems like there are a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to HDR content and how it is played/outputted on a screen.
I think you are 100% right about the inconsistencies with HDR content. Today I was experimenting with these settings on my C9 with Suspiria (2018) released by Koch Media. The top menu of this disc uses HDR-10 so I had a good static image to play around with. I had the opposite experience here, turning off DTM made the image brighter. Here's a few crappy pictures from my phone but they illustrate the difference:

[Show spoiler]HDR Optimizer on and DTM on:

HDR Optimizer on and DTM off:

Last edited by thebigcheese3k; 07-01-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Add spoiler
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM   #5763

Jul 2020

What reasons are there why my UB820 cannot play Mildred Pierce properly (about half way through the image distorts, video stops, etc.) but my Sony S6700 can?

I also noticed a more minor hiccup with Shawshank Redemption disc. It would stop for a brief moment then skip on the UB820 but the Sony plays it perfectly with no issues.

I initially thought it might be the HDMI cable, but I just bought a new one today and the issue is still present. Now I am beginning to suspect it is the machine.
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #5764

Jan 2010

This may be the most newb question but how do you get subtitles to display? I’ve tried out 20 discs and i hit the cc button on remote and it says analogue vs digital etc. and no option is displaying it. The playback is so much nicer and smoother than the xbox one x!!
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #5765

Sep 2009
Perm, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceJUMP View Post
This may be the most newb question but how do you get subtitles to display? I’ve tried out 20 discs and i hit the cc button on remote and it says analogue vs digital etc. and no option is displaying it. The playback is so much nicer and smoother than the xbox one x!!
This got me confused at first too. Press Option on the remote during playback, then Subtitle Settings, then Subtitles. Btw there's no CC button on the UK version of the remote.
Thanks given by:
LettuceJUMP (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #5766

May 2015
Bar Harbor, Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaget View Post
What reasons are there why my UB820 cannot play Mildred Pierce properly (about half way through the image distorts, video stops, etc.) but my Sony S6700 can?

I also noticed a more minor hiccup with Shawshank Redemption disc. It would stop for a brief moment then skip on the UB820 but the Sony plays it perfectly with no issues.

I initially thought it might be the HDMI cable, but I just bought a new one today and the issue is still present. Now I am beginning to suspect it is the machine.
I don't own The Shawshank Redemption, but is the Mildred Pierce release the 2011-ish HBO miniseries one? Coincidentally, I watched about 2 1/2 hours of that just last night on a ub9000 without any issues. Now you've got me terrified to continue!
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #5767

Jul 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerg View Post
I don't own The Shawshank Redemption, but is the Mildred Pierce release the 2011-ish HBO miniseries one? Coincidentally, I watched about 2 1/2 hours of that just last night on a ub9000 without any issues. Now you've got me terrified to continue!
Oh! Sorry! It's the UK Criterion release of the movie
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #5768
Special Member

Dec 2009
Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcheese3k View Post
I think you are 100% right about the inconsistencies with HDR content. Today I was experimenting with these settings on my C9 with Suspiria (2018) released by Koch Media. The top menu of this disc uses HDR-10 so I had a good static image to play around with. I had the opposite experience here, turning off DTM made the image brighter. Here's a few crappy pictures from my phone but they illustrate the difference:

[Show spoiler]HDR Optimizer on and DTM on:

HDR Optimizer on and DTM off:
Yeah, I've been experimenting also, particularly with the "limbo" scene in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part: 2 where Harry is speaking with Dumbledore and all of that scene is happening "inside his head." On the blu-ray, the light in the scene is very blown out, not too much details are visible but the image has a greenish-white tone. On the 4K UHD though, the light is not as blown out but still has more of a washed out tone to it (more neutral with the greenish-white tone gone). This is with both the LG DTM off and the Optimizer on the 820 off. When I just turn the LG's DTM On, the lights are toned down even further to see more detail around them. But when I also add the 820's Optimizer, the color tone of the movie changes to a fainter greenish white color (due to the newer HDR pass of the UHD) returns with a few areas of light blown out. To me, with both of them turned on, the picture seems to represent the intended look of the film over the LG's DTM being off. Still, this is just 1 scene. Other scenes do have at times too much brightness. I feel like overall after testing a few movies that leaving both of them turned "On" produces a great picture! Again, this is just my opinion though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics