Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$25.47
18 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
18 hrs ago
3 from Hell 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Batman & Robin 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$33.03
3 hrs ago
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
Batman Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Suspiria 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.04
 
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$35.49
 
Psycho: Complete 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Accountant (Blu-ray)
$5.00
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #1
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default Marvel's STAR WARS Ongoing Series Begins...

Tomorrow the highly anticipated Star Wars #1 comes out from Marvel Comics now that they have the rights back. Ongoing monthly series, its getting rave reviews online. In February the ongoing monthly Darth Vader series begins.

If you are a Star Wars fan, hit up your local comic book store for them. There are literally a ton of variant editions of #1 for Star Wars, over 100 different various cover variants the last time I checked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
Gone2HiDef Gone2HiDef is offline
Special Member
 
Gone2HiDef's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
8
588
200
1
4
Default

I picked it up and enjoyed it. I normally don't buy multiple copies anymore, but after I got it with the standard cover from my usual shop, I stopped by another local shop and found the Luke action figure variant cover. Hooked me and had to buy it too. I later found online there's a Han action figure variant for the second issue. Getting that one, and only that one, next month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2HiDef View Post
I picked it up and enjoyed it. I normally don't buy multiple copies anymore, but after I got it with the standard cover from my usual shop, I stopped by another local shop and found the Luke action figure variant cover. Hooked me and had to buy it too. I later found online there's a Han action figure variant for the second issue. Getting that one, and only that one, next month.
Yeah I am curious if they will continue the action figure-themed covers for each issue, there are plenty of action figures they could use. I also think there is one for Darth Vader #1 which comes out next month. Some really rare variants for Star Wars out there...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
partridge partridge is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
partridge's Avatar
 
Oct 2005
England
Default

I'm not entirely convinced by some of the dialogue, but it was enjoyable so I'll sick with it for now. Not sure how they're going to do an ongoing Vader title though!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partridge View Post
I'm not entirely convinced by some of the dialogue, but it was enjoyable so I'll sick with it for now. Not sure how they're going to do an ongoing Vader title though!
Darth Vader #1 came out two weeks ago, while I have not read it, I have spoken to some friends who have and they all have said Vader #1 was excellent with regards to the storyline and the artwork and they all said it was better than Star Wars #1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Jpapp25 Jpapp25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jpapp25's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Illinois
191
986
548
2
112
6
5
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
Darth Vader #1 came out two weeks ago, while I have not read it, I have spoken to some friends who have and they all have said Vader #1 was excellent with regards to the storyline and the artwork and they all said it was better than Star Wars #1.
I really liked Darth Vader #1. Issue #2 on the other hand was nowhere near as good, although still not terrible. I'm going to stick with this series for a few more issues and see where goes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Looks like John Cassaday will only be doing the interior art for the first six issues of Star Wars. A guest artist is filling in for issue #7 and then starting with issue #8, artist Stuart Immonen will be taking over the art duties on the book. He is quite a talented artist so I am looking forward to his work on the title.

Larocca's art on Darth Vader is outstanding, he generally stays with a book for a very long time (Invincible Iron Man) so hopefully he stays with Vader for a good long time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
MrBlonde MrBlonde is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
MrBlonde's Avatar
 
Feb 2013
Pittsburgh
457
1
Default

That final page in Star Wars #5

Sad that Cassaday is leaving, but I'm a fan of Immonen too, so he will be a good replacement. I'm so happy Marvel is putting all of their big guns on these books.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
Jpapp25 Jpapp25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jpapp25's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Illinois
191
986
548
2
112
6
5
73
Default

I'm really enjoying this series so far. The story has been good and it seems like they got the characters right.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
15
504
114
3
Default

I'm pretty surprised at the overall quality of the entire line so far. For my collecting dollars, I came in thinking that I'd just collect the main Star Wars title and MAYBE Darth Vader depending on how it read. But at this moment, I literally collect every SW title and yup, I can't help but get the action figure variants for all of'em too.

They saw me comin' from a mile away. lol What a sucker.

I'm over 40, so a character like Kanan didn't mean all that much to me, as I only have seen a handful of the Rebels cartoon...but even that title is really interesting and if anything, it sparked my interest in the show now. I draft my 2-year old son into watching it with me, and have gotten him all the 12-inch figures.

As long as they manage to keep the quality high, I'm there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
I'm pretty surprised at the overall quality of the entire line so far. For my collecting dollars, I came in thinking that I'd just collect the main Star Wars title and MAYBE Darth Vader depending on how it read. But at this moment, I literally collect every SW title and yup, I can't help but get the action figure variants for all of'em too.

They saw me comin' from a mile away. lol What a sucker.

I'm over 40, so a character like Kanan didn't mean all that much to me, as I only have seen a handful of the Rebels cartoon...but even that title is really interesting and if anything, it sparked my interest in the show now. I draft my 2-year old son into watching it with me, and have gotten him all the 12-inch figures.

As long as they manage to keep the quality high, I'm there.
I have never been into collecting variants for myself but I will admit I enjoy the Star Wars action figure variants by JTC as I have all of them except the B/W Luke issue #1 which is very hard to find since only a few hundred were made for a Diamond retailer seminar. I love the JTC-exclusive color Boba Fett one for Star Wars #4 which was limited to 5000 copies and then recently released a B/W Boba Fett version limited to 3000 copies for Star Wars #7.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
15
504
114
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
I have never been into collecting variants for myself but I will admit I enjoy the Star Wars action figure variants by JTC as I have all of them except the B/W Luke issue #1 which is very hard to find since only a few hundred were made for a Diamond retailer seminar. I love the JTC-exclusive color Boba Fett one for Star Wars #4 which was limited to 5000 copies and then recently released a B/W Boba Fett version limited to 3000 copies for Star Wars #7.
Yeah I snagged those. I can't stop picking up variants for these books! I'm a big fan of the Skottie Young "kid" variants and tend to get those as well. Getting his variants started with the Marvel Oz adaptations, moved over to the Marvel U proper and now into SW.

I'm wondering if they're gonna try and do all 80 original figure variants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
Yeah I snagged those. I can't stop picking up variants for these books! I'm a big fan of the Skottie Young "kid" variants and tend to get those as well. Getting his variants started with the Marvel Oz adaptations, moved over to the Marvel U proper and now into SW.

I'm wondering if they're gonna try and do all 80 original figure variants.
The main Star Wars series has one per month, the other Star Wars titles tend to have just the first issue as an action figure variant. He also is doing action figure variants for many of the new first issue Marvel relaunch titles starting next month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Jpapp25 Jpapp25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jpapp25's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Illinois
191
986
548
2
112
6
5
73
Default

Picked up and read Shattered Empire yesterday. I think this might be my favorite new series so far (and I've really enjoyed Star Wars, Darth Vader, and Princess Leia). I think it's focus on new ancillary characters (
[Show spoiler]It loosk like they are most likely Poe Dameron's parents
) while also including other established characters will be interesting to see. After one issue I'm almost disappointed it's only a 4 issue series. Can't wait to grab the rest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
15
504
114
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
After one issue I'm almost disappointed it's only a 4 issue series. Can't wait to grab the rest.
Wow, I had to go and check Marvel's site to make sure you were correct. Can't believe it was only 4 issues! I really enjoyed it, but it sure didn't seem like the series was over. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #16
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
Picked up and read Shattered Empire yesterday. I think this might be my favorite new series so far (and I've really enjoyed Star Wars, Darth Vader, and Princess Leia). I think it's focus on new ancillary characters (
[Show spoiler]It loosk like they are most likely Poe Dameron's parents
) while also including other established characters will be interesting to see. After one issue I'm almost disappointed it's only a 4 issue series. Can't wait to grab the rest.
The latest crossover in the Star Wars line is that "Vader Down" storyline which goes through it's own mini-series but also into the ongoing Star Wars and Darth Vader titles, its quite good too. I am only getting it and Star Wars along with the Darth Vader series, but did pick up Shattered Empire but have not read it yet. I am staying away from the one-shots or other mini-series such as the Chewbacca one, Lando one, Anakin one, etc. but I do pick up the action figure variant covers which are always quite cool.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #17
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
15
504
114
3
Default

Doh! I read Marvel's May solicits and only JUST discovered that as of March, there'll be no more Kanan series.

I was really digging that book. Supposedly it is a natural ending, as the writer only wrote 12 issues...plus the upcoming ongoing for Poe Dameron will be taking it's place, so all isn't lost.

lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #18
J.D. Lombardi J.D. Lombardi is offline
Senior Member
 
J.D. Lombardi's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
NJ
15
504
114
3
Default

So has anyone stayed on from the beginning? I really enjoy Aaron's writing, as he has a great feel for the characters. My first gripe for the title though, comes with the "Last Flight of the Harbginer" story that began in #21. Jorge Molina's art just is NOT up to snuff with the previous talent, most of which has been all-star level.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road, in terms of the visuals, but this series has been VERY enjoyable so far. Most issues have me for doubles too, since I'm still getting all of the action figure variants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #19
Spidey Blu Spidey Blu is offline
Senior Member
 
Spidey Blu's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
136
219
62
Default

I've been enjoying the Han Solo miniseries. The Force Awakens comic feels like a lazy cash grab though,

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Kinsella5 Kinsella5 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Kinsella5's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum
4
112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
So has anyone stayed on from the beginning? I really enjoy Aaron's writing, as he has a great feel for the characters. My first gripe for the title though, comes with the "Last Flight of the Harbginer" story that began in #21. Jorge Molina's art just is NOT up to snuff with the previous talent, most of which has been all-star level.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road, in terms of the visuals, but this series has been VERY enjoyable so far. Most issues have me for doubles too, since I'm still getting all of the action figure variants.
I still get the monthly Star Wars series and Darth Vader, but unfortunately last week's issue of Vader was the final one. I will miss Salvador Larocca's artwork on that title, he is an amazing artist. Would be great if they moved him over to the ongoing main Star Wars book. I probably will get the Doctor Aphra ongoing series this December.

I agree with the action figure variants, I too continue to get them, have you gotten all of them so far? Some of the retailer variants have not been widely promoted so some friends that collect didn't even know about them. Only one I don't have is the B/W Luke from the Diamond retailer seminar a few years back, simply too expensive for me now.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.