Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
C$25.00

Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Captain America: Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
C$29.99

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
C$19.96

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
C$18.99

Toy Story (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

Toy Story 2 (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
14 hrs ago
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
C$24.89

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Default Queen Video is closing

https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/03/...video-closing/

Sad. Another one bites the dust.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Expert Member

Apr 2014

Does anybody know if they also had Blu-rays?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2008
south-shore montreal

sad, 30 000 is a huge inventory !
Old 03-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #4

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Does anybody know if they also had Blu-rays?
Yes but the prices start at $13.50 and appear to all be used so you can probably get them then cheaper new elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

When a video closes, it's not about what people can buy the movie for elsewhere.

To the loyal customers, it's about showing the ownership how important the store was to them.

When I closed my store in 2001 in Stamford, CT, people bought movies, grid shelving, laserdiscs and even the early DVDs for more than they could buy them elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrichard View Post
When a video closes, it's not about what people can buy the movie for elsewhere.
Whatever, it's what this sub-forum is all about.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Mar 2011

I spent a tonne when the original Queen St location closed. Mostly DVDs of course but some really hard to find things, my trophy buys being the full 7 Up collection, and Mark cousins story of film. They weren't really"cheap" per se but still a bargain in terms of them being sets I really wanted but never set eyes on anywhere else.sad to hear they're packing it in. Truly the end of an era
Old 03-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #8

Oct 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I find it really sad when stores like Queen Video shut down. They were pretty much the last good video store in the GTA area. Now it's collection will be lost. Unlike netflix the is hardly any place online where can see all these movies in one spot.

Personally, i'm not a big fan of Netflix because it's movie selection is pretty poor. (I find there are too many crime documentaries and not enough good films.) I'm hoping someone like Disney+ changes this by opening up their vaults and putting all their movies online in one spot.

Video stores really filled a niches, but it makes me concern about the preservation of Movies in our society if there is no place that people can go to see these old films or at least borrow them. Hopefully in the future, this changes online and someone creates the equivalent of Itunes / spotify but for movies online. Aside from who owns the copyrights to these films and data sizes of movies, the accessibility of movies for future generations to watch is important for the progression of it as an art form.

There are so many great old films that future generations might not see. Queen video and Suspect video really filled that void. It's a shame.

Check out the video clip below

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1641810
Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez9000 View Post
I find it really sad when stores like Queen Video shut down. They were pretty much the last good video store in the GTA area. Now it's collection will be lost. Unlike netflix the is hardly any place online where can see all these movies in one spot.

Personally, i'm not a big fan of Netflix because it's movie selection is pretty poor. (I find there are too many crime documentaries and not enough good films.) I'm hoping someone like Disney+ changes this by opening up their vaults and putting all their movies online in one spot.

Video stores really filled a niches, but it makes me concern about the preservation of Movies in our society if there is no place that people can go to see these old films or at least borrow them. Hopefully in the future, this changes online and someone creates the equivalent of Itunes / spotify but for movies online. Aside from who owns the copyrights to these films and data sizes of movies, the accessibility of movies for future generations to watch is important for the progression of it as an art form.

There are so many great old films that future generations might not see. Queen video and Suspect video really filled that void. It's a shame.

Check out the video clip below

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1641810
Not only that but with so many studios kickstarting their streaming services, movie rights will be all over the place and you will need to subscribe to all of them if you want a bigger library to access.

Do you remember the DIVX format in late 90s? Some studios wanted because it controlled the market for them instead of people permanently owning their movies. Well, it seems like the studios are getting what they wished for after all.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #10

Oct 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Oh man..Divx..I still have spindals of dvd-r discs sitting in a closet with old movies copied on it. I really wonder what is going to happen in the future with all the streaming services.. its like cable from the early 1980s.. (if you want HBO, you'll need to get a certain package.)

I also wonder with the rise of 8k TVs will there even be some sort of physical format for movies to be distributed on.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Baz View Post
Not only that but with so many studios kickstarting their streaming services, movie rights will be all over the place and you will need to subscribe to all of them if you want a bigger library to access.

Do you remember the DIVX format in late 90s? Some studios wanted because it controlled the market for them instead of people permanently owning their movies. Well, it seems like the studios are getting what they wished for after all.
Divx was created by the now defunct Circuit City. Divx was doomed from the beginning, and it wasn't a surprise when the format had failed. Divx was a failure when it started.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Of course this is what the studios always wanted. They never wanted to embrace physical media whether it be VHS, DVD, or Blu-ray.

Today, technology has finally caught up to allow them to retain the movie and at the same time charge the viewer on a per-view basis with ongoing revenue. Now that streaming has been accepted, and 4K has failed, I don't think we will see another new physical format, ever. It was always a means to an end.

They've allowed companies like Netflix to break into the public eye and get adopters on board. Now, that Netflix has become the behemoth it has, it is time to pull all those horses back into their own stables.

Disney+ has everything going for it now and other studios will surely follow.

There are also other streaming channels from Criterion and the like that will serve the niche markets that Queen Video used to serve.

While it is sad to see them go, I'm curious how many of you here actually rented at Queen Video when it was around. Sure, it is sad to see a video store close, but how many of you actually supported them? I would guess not many and that most of you/us have moved to purchasing our titles anyway.

I'm not in Toronto, but even if I was, I don't think I would be renting from Queen Video despite being a physical media supporter. I just have too many of my own movies to watch and my tastes vary from old movies to new movies.

Stores like Queen Video really need the casual movie viewer who would be happy to rent and then return the movie after a few days. These last few years, I have moved into archival mode and am more building a video library than anything.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #13

Oct 2008
Toronto, Ontario

I used to rent from them a lot. But their distance from my house was quite far away. I ended up downloading purchasing films instead. I too started building up an archive of physical media and digital.media.so could watch the films over and over.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #14
Expert Member

Aug 2008
south-shore montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrichard View Post

To the loyal customers, it's about showing the ownership how important the store was to them.

When I closed my store in 2001 in Stamford, CT, people bought movies, grid shelving, laserdiscs and even the early DVDs for more than they could buy them elsewhere.
just curious, why did you close in 2001 ? video stores was still very popular back then, up until 2014 i would say most stayed open...
Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I'm not in Toronto, but even if I was, I don't think I would be renting from Queen Video despite being a physical media supporter. I just have too many of my own movies to watch and my tastes vary from old movies to new movies.

Stores like Queen Video really need the casual movie viewer who would be happy to rent and then return the movie after a few days. These last few years, I have moved into archival mode and am more building a video library than anything.
The thing about independent movie rental places back in the VHS days and before that you gotta realize there were some sketch places in amongst the legitimate. Some places pirated films off of satellite feeds into VHSs and some places were lousy with their cost of rental and late fees. At least with Blockbuster you’d be getting legit copies with defined rental costs, plus guaranteed selection. Anything less than that experience would have turned me off immediately. Mind you, I grew up in a small town and besides the two blockbusters there wasn’t a lot else so my view is skewed.

Queen Video and anything else niche in TO serves the community - it’s not a hot destination for tourists, or out of town-ers, it’s for the people who are in the area. For the fact they were around 35 years is commendable and speaks to the folks who supported them rather than just the business model. They obviously had a legitimate business, but I’d consider independents like that few and far between, so many convenience store/ rental places factored into the model I proposed before.

While it’s sad to hear them go, many of us have had the reality of no where to rent from for far longer. Kind of shows how unique some TO bubbles really are.

Last edited by Animatic33; 03-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I don't think anyone is questioning the legitimacy of Queen Video.

Most of the sketchy video rental have long since closed, even as far back as 20 years ago. Back in 1997 most video rental stores were already gobbled up by big franchises like Rogers Video, Blockbuster, and Jumbo Video. The independents that were still around were pretty big outfits by that time.

Today there are just so many more options.

There are pay services like Netflix, cable services like Fibe, purchase options like Best Buy/Amazon, digital lockers like Google Play/iTunes/UV.

Then you also have the second hand market like Value Village/Salvation Army, flea markets and Kijiji are selling off tons of DVDs, and you can still borrow movies (new releases) from the library. The library also has free streaming services too.

Of course some people also pirate too.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
I don't think anyone is questioning the legitimacy of Queen Video.

Most of the sketchy video rental have long since closed, even as far back as 20 years ago. Back in 1997 most video rental stores were already gobbled up by big franchises like Rogers Video, Blockbuster, and Jumbo Video. The independents that were still around were pretty big outfits by that time.
My intention was primarily to show the apprehension involved in trusting independent video rental stores and how the presence of main stream rental places could skew clientele. But since TO communities are tipically tighter-knit, the relationship the store owners and their patrons would have had to be pretty amazing to have lasted so long.

Whereas where I was growing up, there were a few fly by night video rental operations that pulled shady stuff just to rook townies before booking it out of there. Therefore I just believed Blockbuster was the only honest one.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #18

Oct 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
The thing about independent movie rental places back in the VHS days and before that you gotta realize there were some sketch places in amongst the legitimate. Some places pirated films off of satellite feeds into VHSs and some places were lousy with their cost of rental and late fees. At least with Blockbuster youíd be getting legit copies with defined rental costs, plus guaranteed selection. Anything less than that experience would have turned me off immediately. Mind you, I grew up in a small town and besides the two blockbusters there wasnít a lot else so my view is skewed.

Queen Video and anything else niche in TO serves the community - itís not a hot destination for tourists, or out of town-ers, itís for the people who are in the area. For the fact they were around 35 years is commendable and speaks to the folks who supported them rather than just the business model. They obviously had a legitimate business, but Iíd consider independents like that few and far between, so many convenience store/ rental places factored into the model I proposed before.

While itís sad to hear them go, many of us have had the reality of no where to rent from for far longer. Kind of shows how unique some TO bubbles really are.
Animatic, I totally agree with you. I grew up in the Greater Toronto Area and i'm close to 40 years old. The city has changed immensely over the past 20 years. I think that's when i started renting at Queen video DVDs and Blu-Rays. Toronto is a very unique city in the sense of the number of people from different walks of life and ethnic backgrounds. Queen video, which had 2 locations in the city originally (One on Queen Street, the other on Bloor), helped to service the melting pot of different movie fans.

I guess now that streaming is the next big thing, will have to wait and see what happens. I heard Apple just announced "Apple TV +".. Let's see how that stacks up to other streaming services.

But I think there is a need for places like Queen Video with it's vast library of movies. It's too bad public libraries don't collect movies / tv shows. It would make a great place to hang out and watch films.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez9000 View Post
But I think there is a need for places like Queen Video with it's vast library of movies. It's too bad public libraries don't collect movies / tv shows. It would make a great place to hang out and watch films.
You should check out the selection at the Hamilton Public Library.

Hamilton is my hometown and I'm thoroughly impressed by the selection there. Someone there really loves movies and TV! I wish my public library has a selection like this.

Just do a search for "Criterion".

https://www.hpl.ca/

They also have a good model to prevent theft. I should move back there.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
You should check out the selection at the Hamilton Public Library.

Hamilton is my hometown and I'm thoroughly impressed by the selection there. Someone there really loves movies and TV! I wish my public library has a selection like this.

Just do a search for "Criterion".

https://www.hpl.ca/

They also have a good model to prevent theft. I should move back there.
Inter-library requests could help solve that

Upon searching for criterionís - youíre right, the selection is great but the waiting lists are long. Haha, now I remember the downfall of renting physical media...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals