Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
C$22.99
2 hrs ago
The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
C$17.99
2 hrs ago
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
C$25.00

Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Captain America: Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

Toy Story (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
C$19.96

Toy Story 2 (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
C$29.99

Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
C$17.99
2 hrs ago
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
C$18.99

Toy Story 3 (Blu-ray)
C$16.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
Nope!

I ordered a Criterion off them this week. Asked why I was charged more for shipping, and was told by the clerk on the phone that they ONLY offer Expedited shipping to Canada now to "service us better" as they said they had been getting many complaints of Canadian folk not receiving their orders or having trouble with the shipping, so no longer with the cheapest option of $8 shipping be available to us.
Well my order was sent by UPS Express and took just over 24 hours to get to me so I think that's worth the extra $2. No charges at the door of course since we pay the shipping fee plus the import deposit fee up front.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #42
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoofykindasuperman View Post
Nope!

I ordered a Criterion off them this week. Asked why I was charged more for shipping, and was told by the clerk on the phone that they ONLY offer Expedited shipping to Canada now to "service us better" as they said they had been getting many complaints of Canadian folk not receiving their orders or having trouble with the shipping, so no longer with the cheapest option of $8 shipping be available to us.
Sounds like the same thing that was happening over at Amazon.fr. Many order never made it out of France to the US, so you are forced to use expedient.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #43

Dec 2009
Toronto
Default pleasant surprise

I ordered the BTTF trilogy just before the postal strike for $14.99 and they shipped it via DHL. The package was sitting in a processing depot in Illinois ever since. Today I received the following note from amazon.com (without asking).

Hello, We’re sorry your package was delayed due to the Canada Post labor dispute. Because of this inconvenience, we've refunded your shipping costs of $9.98. This refund will appear as a credit on your original payment method.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,Customer ServiceAmazon.com

The tracking feature shows the set apperas en route now (it crossed the border!!). Now I don`t feel so bad about missing the boat on the WM sale. For those in the same situation, you may be getting the same e-mail. Well handled IMO.

Last edited by HTFUN; 06-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

I ordered the 3 Disney combo pack deal back in May, and I got an email today giving me my $5.16 "import fee deposit" back. .=) Wh00ts.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #45

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
I ordered the 3 Disney combo pack deal back in May, and I got an email today giving me my $5.16 "import fee deposit" back. .=) Wh00ts.
I actually got something like that too recently.

quite nice, makes up for those lame HST CODs
Old 07-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #46
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ I have got many import fees deposits (IFD) back. And since you're talking about them, I got a beef:

A few months ago they raised the IFD rate from 12.6% to a (very consistent now) 22.6% based on the value of the goods (only). The most an Ontario resident (me) would ever have to pay for U.S. discs import would be HST=13%. There better be refunds for sure now that they're over-charging so much. I haven't got one since they started charging the high rate.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #47

Apr 2009
Moncton, NB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFUN View Post
I ordered the BTTF trilogy just before the postal strike for $14.99 and they shipped it via DHL. The package was sitting in a processing depot in Illinois ever since. Today I received the following note from amazon.com (without asking).

Hello, We’re sorry your package was delayed due to the Canada Post labor dispute. Because of this inconvenience, we've refunded your shipping costs of $9.98. This refund will appear as a credit on your original payment method.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,Customer ServiceAmazon.com

The tracking feature shows the set apperas en route now (it crossed the border!!). Now I don`t feel so bad about missing the boat on the WM sale. For those in the same situation, you may be getting the same e-mail. Well handled IMO.
Yeah I got my copy of BTTF yesterday and only paid a total of $14.99 since they reimbursed the $9.98.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
^ I have got many import fees deposits (IFD) back. And since you're talking about them, I got a beef:

A few months ago they raised the IFD rate from 12.6% to a (very consistent now) 22.6% based on the value of the goods (only). The most an Ontario resident (me) would ever have to pay for U.S. discs import would be HST=13%. There better be refunds for sure now that they're over-charging so much. I haven't got one since they started charging the high rate.
Yes this concerned me as well. I am curious if anyone else gets a refund.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #49
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ Actually, I may be off by a month there, they may have only raised the import fees deposit (IFD) rate at the beginning of May, maybe late April.

It is hard for me to tell, because I didn't complete orders when I saw the elevated IFD rate, but eventually broke down in early May when there were some really good deals. So, I should NOT really expect any IFD refunds yet, they say 60 days and the first goods were shipped a little short of that ago...soon.

I passed up quite a lot of things I wanted in the meantime (they'll be a lot cheaper in Nov.-Dec. anyway) because with the high shipping plus the high IFD plus the "exchange costs" just made it too borderline worthwhile. Better to buy in a local store when it's that close in price, at least I have the option for easy exchange/return for any reason. It is sad though, that our prices in Canada are so bad that even with all these rather large fees tacked on, it is still so often at least somewhat cheaper to buy in the U.S.

Last edited by cfraser; 07-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #50
Special Member

Apr 2009

i purchased once since their stupid new fee structure....and never got refunded the deposit so i wont be buying from amazon.com ever again unless i happen to be shipping it to a US address....
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 AM   #51

Dec 2010
Niagara Region, Ontario

I just went through the ordering process to check it, and I'm still only getting charged 13.4%.

I've also been refunded, quite frequently, including my last order in which I was refunded the whole IFD amount.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #52
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ I assumed the very high rate they were charging for a while was a mistake. Try to get somebody there on the phone who could answer that though... Wasn't going to order again until they lowered the rate or I saw refunds from the high rate. I have got plenty of refunds in the past, even when I shouldn't really have got any (i.e. the 12.6% rate).

Unfortunately there are no great prices on anything I want lately, so I haven't tested the rate, but it's good to know it's come down to what makes sense. Oh for the days when there was no IFD, and $4 base shipping plus $2/disc... What is most telling is that DHL effectively went out of business in the U.S. shortly after amazon.com contracted them for Canadian shipping.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #53

Apr 2010
Toronto

Not sure if posted seems to be cheaper than here?

http://www.amazon.com/Incredibles-Fo...1437478&sr=8-1
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #54
Banned

Jan 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Matri...1805568&sr=1-3

36 bucks shipped. Considering the Loonie is so strong at the moment it's an even better deal. Act fast, deal ends at midnight.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #55

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylliam View Post
Not changed in the past year, no... Amazon.com has shipped to Canada for MANY years. There are a few items that they cannot sell/ship to Canadians (Atlantic racking for example), since some of those items ship directly from the manufacturer, & its at their discretion. If you had an issue with them not shipping a blu-ray or movie to you, it sounds like you dealt with someone in their marketplace.
It is definitely not sellers through Amazon but Amazon themselves as well.

It also seems to be about the product itself and not a general rule. I've ordered many things from Amazon US over the years without problem, but lately have noticed that if something is on sale or drastically differs from Canadian pricing it's far more likely it will not be eligible for shipment to Canada.

I've had it happen with blu rays and iPhone cases.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #56
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

I recently bought an electronics item sold directly by amazon.com, hope it gets here today! It's a type of remote that was rumored to be OOP for several years, but the manufacturer decided to go and make more, and I only found out by the biggest of flukes. They are just so good, unlike any other. And way less than half the original new price! I am stoked, bit of a remote dweeb, and very fussy about them. Can you tell I'm stoked? lol So lame...

I find a lot of items are sold by third parties who won't ship to Canada, but many will! Whether BDs or electronics. Problem is a third party incurs a separate shipping charge, so usually not worth it for BDs. Many brand-name items can't be sold to Canadians due to distribution agreements. Some electrical ones are NOT stickered (approved) for Canada, even though the same ones are sold here. etc. etc. Mostly it's just BS though. Then there's the guys who will sell you that $25 item, but want $85 to ship it to Canada even though it's Free Shipping in the U.S. (actual true example).

P.S. It has been 75 days since they charged the 22.6% import fees deposit, and no refunds yet. I mention this because 75 days is the longest they've ever taken to refund me, usually it is well under the 60 days they say. I have never had luck phoning DHL about anything*, and that's what amazon wants me to do. The import fees have been at 13.4% for quite some time now, about right.

*part of the reason being, I am not DHL's customer, amazon is, so they will only tell me so much. The fact is, as far as $$ goes, it all comes through amazon anyway, so I don't get this pawning off by them, they are usually so good at CS. What I usually do is ask for a credit on my next order. They can do that at any time, even if they don't have an official import fees deposit refund for you.

Last edited by cfraser; 07-29-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #57

Sep 2008
Longueuil, Qc, Canada

Resident Evil trilogy @ $15.99

As seen on the main page.

Great deal !

DJ Matt
Old 08-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

It looks like the import deposit fee is back to the ~ 13% amount it was before and the standard shipping option is back. I'll likely start buying from amazon.com again for new release titles. Most catalog titles are cheaper from amazon.ca now I find.

I have not got any refunds on the import fee from the period when they were charging more than 13% though
Old 08-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #59

Sep 2008
Longueuil, Qc, Canada

No import fee for orders under $20 (before shipping)
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

Yeah if you can get orders to ship with as many shipments as possible under $20 then there will be no import fees and with multiple shipments you can get the initial $5 shipping fee spread between all the shipments as they ship.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals