Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain America: Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
C$18.99

The Sisters Brothers (Blu-ray)
C$12.99
23 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
C$54.99

Spider-Man Trilogy / Origins Collection (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
C$34.39

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Blu-ray)
C$12.99

The Equalizer 2 / The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
C$17.99

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
C$8.99

Venom (Blu-ray)
C$15.00

The House with a Clock in Its Walls 4K (Blu-ray)
C$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals

Old 10-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Toronto, Canada

Placed an order today for 3 titles for myself and 2 for a friend.
Probably should have waited for the B&N sale in November(?) but oh well, what's done is done.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
First of all they need to acknowledge that there are lot more titles with problems than their list.

Second instead of worrying about what works at the moment they need to acknowledge that eventually any disc showing the slightest sign of the bronzing will likely not work.

And most of all even in the US people shouldn't be forced to pay to ship them the defective discs. We didn't mess up. They did (I still find them responsible even if the pressing plant technically made the errors). But it is even more ridiculous expecting Canadians to pay international shipping. If they want to sell their products here then they need to treat their releases like they are not imported.

There are multiple things they could do.
  • Send pre-paid envelopes since it is their mistake and they should take the hit instead of the consumer. Any proper replacement program or recall would never have cost fall on the consumer. Can you imagine a car recall from Toyota (And boy do they like their recalls) where people had to ship their recalled car to Japan out of their pocket? Would never happen.
  • Set up an exchange program with a retailer like HMV that carry their products. Much like how Sodastream have exchange programs for the canisters with select retailers that sell their products.
  • Set up a way for Canadians to send the discs to eOne who as far as I know are still the distributor here. Not ideal either but at least domestic shipping won't be as ridiculous as international shipping.
  • Accept photo proof of the bronzing. Wouldn't be hard to have people put in a claim, send them a unique code they print out tied to that e-mail address and then place that printed out code beside the bronzed discs.

The current replacement offer is nothing but a slap in the face IMO.
At least its better then Well Go USA. So far for their replacement program it is only for people who have a valid US mailing address as they claim they only have distribution rights in the US. Then why are you selling discs in Canada?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2009

Quote:
Yeah didn't think you were challenging me so sorry if any of that post made it seem like your reply annoyed me. Any frustration in my post is simply about the problem itself and nothing related to your reply. With Well Go USA I seem to have got lucky and only have one showing the bronzing that I have come across. With Criterion I have more than ten with the bronzing including some of the ones that don't seem to be as common. So didn't get as lucky with those. Back then I was still buying them from HMV which were at least $40 a title at the time so the thought of having to pay international shipping for a problem that has nothing to do with me for stuff I already invested more than $400 in is not sitting well at all.

Part of the frustration is also coming from how this site is handling things. I know nobody here is to blame for the problems but I still think the staff could be handling it better. Honestly some of the stuff is making it feel like they are more concerned about not angering a company that sends them discs to review and stuff than caring about their user base the site wouldn't exist without.

First in the main thread about this problem it didn't take pro-bassoonist long to get on the OP's case about the thread title and then claimed there was no disc rot problem while blaming Blu-ray players. Not a great way to handle things.

Then when Criterion partially confirmed the problem with some of the titles the news article wasn't sticky on the main page. Maybe it is just me but something like that should be sticky instead of being bumped off the page in no time. Yet inevitable Blu-ray announcements like Guardians of the Galaxy get stuck for more than a week.

Then uther made a thread in the Canadian sub-forum related to the problems and discussing how the return program isn't very practical for Canadians. Got deleted. I know I don't always see eye to eye with uther but even I know there was no reason to delete that thread

Finally the whole merging of the problem threads shouldn't have happened. The Lionsgate stuff isn't even disc rot and they merged it into that thread Then the Well Go USA stuff has just ended up completely lost in that thread with people more focused on Criterion.
You also forgot to mention that the thread was stickied by a mod then I guess another mod (or someone higher up) told him that it should not have been stickied so it was removed. If there was ever a thread to be stickied its this one. We have stickied threads for posting your most recent haul and what is the last blu-ray you bought. You are telling me those threads are more important then discs from multiple studios going bad?

I agree with you that whoever is handling this issue on this site (and I highly suspect its goes higher then the mods) is doing it poorly and is trying to make the issue disappear.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
suburban fly-over USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by will oneill View Post
That said, Criterion may have a specific reason why they need those discs back... they must need those discs in order to take action against the pressing company.
People keep saying that, but I don't see what that has to do with shipping them back at our expense. There is no good reason why they can't provide paid shipping labels.
Thanks given by:
agoofykindasuperman (10-13-2014), zeze (10-12-2014)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #25

Nov 2010
Ottawa

Criterion.com is having another Flash Sale until noon on October 18th. 50% off all in-stock blu-rays (and DVDs).
Old 10-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Never did bother with the hassle of the replacements and horrible expectation of making us pay for shipping..... wonder how rotted the discs are now
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #27

Oct 2009

Quote:
Never did bother with the hassle of the replacements and horrible expectation of making us pay for shipping..... wonder how rotted the discs are now
You just throw each disc in a flat envelope, the shipping is practically nothing. You also get a $5 or $10 store credit per replacement.

I don't order during these sales because shipping and exchange rates shrink the discounts to almost nothing.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #28
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-
-
-

ya, criterion shipping to canada is just brutal.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #29
Expert Member

Sep 2011

I found I was able to take advantage of this sale primarily because of the Hitchcock Classics collection (4 films), The Lodger and Rebecca. Worked out to be $15 USD in shipping. So, with exchange for 6 films it came to ~22.30 CAD each, and yes - I've been checking wowHD for the past few weeks.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #30

Nov 2010
Ottawa

50% off Flash Sale on now until noon EST tomorrow. Code is GOLD.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #31

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Generally, how much is shipping from Criterion to Canada?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #32
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-
-
-

i think it's around $9.99USD + $2.99 per item if i recall?

(could be wrong....)
Thanks given by:
supervij (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Yes, that's correct, but it's free shipping within the US if the order is over $50.00.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #34

Nov 2010
Ottawa

Received my order today, with no customs fees. The box inexplicably had an extra copy of Silence of the Lambs in it; I even triple-checked the invoice and my credit card records. Oh well.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #35

Jun 2017
Central Fl
Default Silence!

Quote:
Received my order today, with no customs fees. The box inexplicably had an extra copy of Silence of the Lambs in it; I even triple-checked the invoice and my credit card records. Oh well.
The most important question is: Is it for sale?
Thanks given by:
cfraser (02-27-2018), RCRochester (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #36
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada

^ Exactly what I was thinking...

It's the only Crit available that I actually want (that I don't already have), not enough to make it worthwhile to have taken advantage of the sale. Shipping costs typically kill any but local deals though, least IME, but when you have a "hot" property like this there ought to be one single solitary person in the Ottawa area who would be interested...see, I've already decided for Will that it's for sale.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #37

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Iíll be visiting Ottawa in a couple months and would be happy to buy it from you!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #38

Nov 2010
Ottawa

If someone local in Ottawa wants it, Iím sure we can work something out. But other than that, I have no interest in dealing with the hassle of mailing things, sorry folks.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 AM   #39

Apr 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
If someone local in Ottawa wants it, Iím sure we can work something out. But other than that, I have no interest in dealing with the hassle of mailing things, sorry folks.
PM sent!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #40
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Room-mate got his package in yesterday. 37.99 custom fees.

Our customs stinks - especially when it comes to stuff you just don’t get here.

Ymmv of course, I’ve been fortunate these past few years.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals