Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
C$18.99
16 hrs ago
Captain America: Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00
 
Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray)
C$54.99
 
The Sisters Brothers (Blu-ray)
C$12.99
15 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
16 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
C$21.99
 
Spider-Man Trilogy / Origins Collection (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
17 hrs ago
The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Blu-ray)
C$12.99
 
The Equalizer 2 / The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
C$17.99
16 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
C$34.39
 
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Blu-ray)
C$8.99
 
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
C$26.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
cfraser cfraser is offline
Expert Member
 
Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada
-5
Default

^ Good points. I wonder how many people have actually escaped paying UPS-levied brokerage charges by some legal challenge though? Even though you didn't explicitly choose UPS, or explicitly agree to them being the broker, etc. etc. Im just "guessing" they have a few lawyers on staff... Maybe like a lot of things, they make it so annoying and time-consuming (and possibly expensive) that you just pay. Some people really care about their credit score, and it only takes a minor knock (may not matter if it's for $20 or $20k) to really cost you for some things. I understand you'll hear about that if you get into an argument with their collectors...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #42
Animatic33 Animatic33 is offline
Expert Member
 
Animatic33's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
31
854
370
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
^ Good points. I wonder how many people have actually escaped paying UPS-levied brokerage charges by some legal challenge though? Even though you didn't explicitly choose UPS, or explicitly agree to them being the broker, etc. etc. Im just "guessing" they have a few lawyers on staff... Maybe like a lot of things, they make it so annoying and time-consuming (and possibly expensive) that you just pay. Some people really care about their credit score, and it only takes a minor knock (may not matter if it's for $20 or $20k) to really cost you for some things. I understand you'll hear about that if you get into an argument with their collectors...
True, but what if UPS were to deliver it to an address that wasn’t your own? Is it the addresses person being charged or the location? :\
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #43
cfraser cfraser is offline
Expert Member
 
Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada
-5
Default

^ Don't know. But again, they're delivering to a person AFAIK when they're going to later bill you, they have some "proof" of delivery to "someone" at the labeled address.

I'm sure lots of people who sign aren't the people the signature says they are...for all sorts of reasons, some legitimate, some perhaps not so much (e.g. a dwelling with multiple occupants who may just be renting rooms on a short-term basis). We can think of all sorts of ways the system can be screwed, and I bet UPS has seen them all...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #44
GreatGreg GreatGreg is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
GreatGreg's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Canada
-
21
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Re the UPS bills in the mail: I just paid them. I expected to pay anyway, when I didn't have to pay at the door I was hoping I'd "escaped", but didn't really think so...

I've heard that the collectors UPS uses will chase you for years for even $20. No experience myself.

I think if UPS left a package without a signature, or some other proof of delivery, that you're fine and you'll most probably not get a bill.
I've had UPS or DHL deliver things and then come back to me for duty charges.

I've ignored them and they eventually went away. For awhile they called a lot, but then after awhile, my name probably went to a general collection agency and if it is not worth their time, they won't bother following up.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (12-10-2017), Animatic33 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #45
Rui Rui is online now
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
-
-
-
-5
Default

Received my order today from Severin Films. Packed well and no customs charges
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #46
El Baz El Baz is offline
Power Member
 
El Baz's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
49
1280
137
24
1
6
-5
Default

I made an order with Deep Discount. Ordered Rare Exports for $15.48 US. Total cost with shipping was $21.46.
Ordered it Dec 4th, received it yesterday in my mailbox is nice cardboard mailer.

Zero issues.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (12-16-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #47
cfraser cfraser is offline
Expert Member
 
Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada
-5
Default

^ That's good to know that DD has improved, or at least got some geography lessons. Last time I ordered from them, they put a 28-cent "stamp" on the (nice) cardboard mailer and it took ~3 months to get to me, you could walk here faster than that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #48
El Baz El Baz is offline
Power Member
 
El Baz's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
49
1280
137
24
1
6
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
^ That's good to know that DD has improved, or at least got some geography lessons. Last time I ordered from them, they put a 28-cent "stamp" on the (nice) cardboard mailer and it took ~3 months to get to me, you could walk here faster than that.
I took a chance with them. It's the only place I could find this movie at a decent price. It's $40 everywhere else. Too pricey for a blind buy for me.
$21 US wasn't all bad.

I had ordered from them in the past but that was many years ago. I never had issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #49
cfraser cfraser is offline
Expert Member
 
Jun 2011
Toronto area, Canada
-5
Default

^ No "issues" in the end, but for 28 cents there's no tracking and is just stupid to do. They may have refunded my money actually...I remember the 28 cent stamp more, I mean you couldn't mail *anything* in Canada for that for what, at least a decade (or two...)? I did get the BD eventually, and yes, they do often have stuff that nobody else does for any price. A good place to look if something was released in North America and is really hard to find, they've been around a fairly long time and have some pretty old stuff hanging around if you missed it when it was new.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #50
will oneill will oneill is online now
Senior Member
 
Nov 2010
Ottawa
36
3105
500
7
62
-5
Default

I order direct from Arrow Video during their periodic sales, where the prices are far better than Amazon.ca. I received my latest order today, which although it took 4 weeks, was marked "No Commercial Value", so no duties.

They have another sale going on now, FYI.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 AM   #51
zeze zeze is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
zeze's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
143
5341
28
231
-7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by will oneill View Post
I order direct from Arrow Video during their periodic sales, where the prices are far better than Amazon.ca. I received my latest order today, which although it took 4 weeks, was marked "No Commercial Value", so no duties.

They have another sale going on now, FYI.
How much is shipping on the new site? I have seen people on the Arrow thread complaining about no more free shipping.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #52
suddend suddend is online now
Senior Member
 
suddend's Avatar
 
May 2009
Hamilton, ONTARIO, Canada
190
1978
153
161
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
How much is shipping on the new site? I have seen people on the Arrow thread complaining about no more free shipping.
Paid less than £3 shipping for the 3 movies I ordered yesterday
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (12-16-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #53
will oneill will oneill is online now
Senior Member
 
Nov 2010
Ottawa
36
3105
500
7
62
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
How much is shipping on the new site? I have seen people on the Arrow thread complaining about no more free shipping.
For single movies, there’s a bit of a trick: buy them in groups of four. Shipping for four movies is £2.50, but five is £7.50.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #54
gentileschi gentileschi is offline
Active Member
 
gentileschi's Avatar
 
May 2017
Canada
1
120
59
1
-5
Default

Well, colour me impressed - sort of. My JB order arrived a lot faster than expected; the release date was Dec 6th and I got it on the 16th, not bad for the very low shipping rate they charged. Only problem is, they sent me the wrong title from the collection (I checked the invoices and everything is in order, so 100% their error). I've contacted them so I'll see how things go from here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:53 AM   #55
zeze zeze is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
zeze's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
143
5341
28
231
-7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddend View Post
Paid less than £3 shipping for the 3 movies I ordered yesterday
Quote:
Originally Posted by will oneill View Post
For single movies, there’s a bit of a trick: buy them in groups of four. Shipping for four movies is £2.50, but five is £7.50.
Thanks that is very reasonable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #56
Animatic33 Animatic33 is offline
Expert Member
 
Animatic33's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
31
854
370
-5
Default

B&N has shipped my sale purchase by UPS Express Worldwide. I shall cross my fingers in hope that I don't get hit with brokerage fees and customs. Coz that would be lame, suuuper lame.

Will update this post when it arrives with the details.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #57
aaron158 aaron158 is offline
Contributor
 
aaron158's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
1382
166
12
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
B&N has shipped my sale purchase by UPS Express Worldwide. I shall cross my fingers in hope that I don't get hit with brokerage fees and customs. Coz that would be lame, suuuper lame.

Will update this post when it arrives with the details.
Barnes and noble pre charge u the tax so there is no import fees because u already pre paid them. that's why when u look at ur order u will see HST or GST on it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Animatic33 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #58
aaron158 aaron158 is offline
Contributor
 
aaron158's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
1382
166
12
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentileschi View Post
Well, colour me impressed - sort of. My JB order arrived a lot faster than expected; the release date was Dec 6th and I got it on the 16th, not bad for the very low shipping rate they charged. Only problem is, they sent me the wrong title from the collection (I checked the invoices and everything is in order, so 100% their error). I've contacted them so I'll see how things go from here.
there c/s is pretty good i'm sure they will just ship u the right one at no cost. also if didn't do this when u ordered it make sure u ask for a refund of the local aussy gst tax that there site charges as u are not required to pay that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #59
Animatic33 Animatic33 is offline
Expert Member
 
Animatic33's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
31
854
370
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron158 View Post
Barnes and noble pre charge u the tax so there is no import fees because u already pre paid them. that's why when u look at ur order u will see HST or GST on it.
I'm hoping that's the case... but that tax wasn't really... 13% HST (I'm in Ontario, province of tax). I think someone here had said UPS argued with them that the tax B&N charges isn't "enough".

We'll see! In any case, the nice 25% coupon negated 90% of the shipping, so if that comes back... that's kinda ok, I guess. Still cheaper than CAD.

...I wish Canadian retailers had wicked deals like B&N does... grumble
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:25 AM   #60
aaron158 aaron158 is offline
Contributor
 
aaron158's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
1382
166
12
-5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animatic33 View Post
I'm hoping that's the case... but that tax wasn't really... 13% HST (I'm in Ontario, province of tax). I think someone here had said UPS argued with them that the tax B&N charges isn't "enough".

We'll see! In any case, the nice 25% coupon negated 90% of the shipping, so if that comes back... that's kinda ok, I guess. Still cheaper than CAD.

...I wish Canadian retailers had wicked deals like B&N does... grumble
if that ever happens u should be able to ask ups to put the package on hold at the depot and then call b&n c/s and they should be able to get that sorted because everything was pre paid and ups should get nothing.

i've never had a package shipped by ups from them normally they ship with that company asiandia or whatever its called when the package gets into Canada it goes though a warehouse in fort erie On and has a new Canada post label attracted to were it gets forwarded to me as a domestic package.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Animatic33 (12-23-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Canadian Deals


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:36 PM.