Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
20 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
3 hrs ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25
 
Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97
21 hrs ago
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33
 
Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Spy Who Dumped Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$64.99
 
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #2941
zoodermin zoodermin is offline
Power Member
 
zoodermin's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador
2
460
63
Default

Another positive review for Cinderella:

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/rev...ay-review.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #2942
rdodolak rdodolak is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Jul 2007
2301
1140
109
1061
74
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
Thing about DVDs is you still a lot of people who buy things "on a budget." Blu-Rays typically come with most of the features, but there's plenty of people of who are only interested in just the movie, and if they can save $7 bucks they're going to go for it.

And plus, how many times have you heard the "I don't see the difference" argument in real life?
Funny thing was that a lot of people used the same arguments for DVD but we see that people eventually adopted the format even though many swore against it. Over time as more people adopt the blu-ray format prices will come down even further. Prices on blu-rays have already dropped quite a bit since inception.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #2943
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
Thing about DVDs is you still a lot of people who buy things "on a budget." Blu-Rays typically come with most of the features, but there's plenty of people of who are only interested in just the movie, and if they can save $7 bucks they're going to go for it.
Didn't mean people buying DVD's--especially since it's getting harder to find where they're actually sold--meant why are we still getting them for free?
Especially since Wal-Mart, UV, and all the other conspirators of the Evil Empire are pitching their product to "Those who just want the movie". (And if that's what you want, you get what you deserve.)

If anything, Streaming-purchase for "those who want the movies" seems to be pricing itself out of the market for those who'd fall for it:
I looked on both Wal-Mart's Vudu AND Best Buy's CinemaNow, and can't find a single recent Disney movie for rental--They're all available for purchase-only for $32-34.99, depending on which site....WHO ON PLANET EARTH buys movie-only disks for $34.99, without extras???
(Can't speak for Sony doing the same thing, but Disney is being deliberately punitive to shuffle streaming business over to its own Disney Anywhere site, for $14.99 purchase...Or five dollars if you buy the physical disk, or free if you buy the deluxe 3-disk physical version. )

And it wasn't until typing that that I realized, we've got the fatal sabotaging kill-switch for Streaming built right into the industry: Three of the Big Four for streaming--Vudu, Amazon and CinemaNow--just happen to be owned by major retail chains.
They'd like you to think they're "branching out into a new market", but we know what they're protecting, don't we?

Last edited by EricJ; 09-29-2012 at 07:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2944
PuppyJonathan PuppyJonathan is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppyJonathan's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
6
67
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
+1, DisneyView is awesome. I watched the entirety of Fantasia with it and I barely even noticed that it wasn't fullscreen. Pure awesomeness.
Now if they had only included DisneyView on 101 Dalmatians.. but then again the black bars weren't so big on that one.
I haven't tried, but from what I've seen so far it'a not distracting and very faithful
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #2945
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Now if they had only included DisneyView on 101 Dalmatians.. but then again the black bars weren't so big on that one.
(Um...did 101D come out on BD yet, or are we talking about a foreign version? )
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #2946
yumny yumny is offline
Power Member
 
yumny's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Netherlands
42
33
18
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
:/ I won't be surprised even if Blu-ray.com gives this a positive review as well.
I will be quite disappointed if Kenneth Brown (presuming he will be the reviewer) overlooks the issue. Then again, he has awarded 3/5 stars to razor-sharp presentations with one rather minor issue before. I really hope he notices it and slams Disney for it.
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #2947
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
I will be quite disappointed if Kenneth Brown (presuming he will be the reviewer) overlooks the issue. Then again, he has awarded 3/5 stars to razor-sharp presentations with one rather minor issue before. I really hope he notices it and slams Disney for it.
I don't know.. I don't know how noticeable the problem is if you aren't aware of it in the first place. If someone tells you "you know what? Disney has really screwed this restoration" and shows you some pictures then you can really tell the difference. If not, however, it would probably take some time for someone to notice the mistakes. Especially if you aren't familiar with the movie. We'll see.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #2948
atomik kinder atomik kinder is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
(Um...did 101D come out on BD yet, or are we talking about a foreign version? )
It is out in the UK. Also there is Tarzan and Peter Pan will be released in October, I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #2949
zoodermin zoodermin is offline
Power Member
 
zoodermin's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador
2
460
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
I don't know.. I don't know how noticeable the problem is if you aren't aware of it in the first place. If someone tells you "you know what? Disney has really screwed this restoration" and shows you some pictures then you can really tell the difference. If not, however, it would probably take some time for someone to notice the mistakes. Especially if you aren't familiar with the movie. We'll see.
Forgive me if this has been brought up before but what exactly is wrong with Cinderella?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #2950
CodyCourtBlack2 CodyCourtBlack2 is offline
Expert Member
 
CodyCourtBlack2's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Allentown, PA
309
55
68
15
Default

So what are the special features on the cinderella blu without the virtual vault????
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #2951
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Forgive me if this has been brought up before but what exactly is wrong with Cinderella?
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #2952
zoodermin zoodermin is offline
Power Member
 
zoodermin's Avatar
 
Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador
2
460
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Other useful threads
How Cinderella's 2005 Release was Restored Very Wrongly
CINDERELLA DVD - digital restoration gone too far?
Plus my post on the Cinderella thread has a few more pictures.
Wow thatís very disappointing! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why many sites are giving this release top marks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #2953
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Wow thatís very disappointing! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why many sites are giving this release top marks?
Same way they gave Home on the Range top marks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #2954
EricJ EricJ is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnds500 View Post
No problem. Where should I start.. the restoration done on Cinderella is pretty bad. The use of whatever tools they used is so excessive that a lot of the line-art is completely gone. Overall you can tell there are problems with the picture in every single minute of the film - you are bound to notice something. It's not like a scene was restored wrongly and that's it.

You can go to the Disney Classics Screenshot Comparison thread and see for yourself.
Before I do, do we KNOW it's from an early copy of next Tuesday's BD, or did someone complain about the Platinum DVD, and just fan-gripe "Knowing Disney, they'll probably just recycle the old master like they did with Bambi, just watch, betcha"?

(And yes, the old master was pretty bad, but that's not what I'm buying, are you?)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #2955
Lnds500 Lnds500 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Lnds500's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Athens, Greece
212
30
12
234
2
75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Before I do, do we KNOW it's from an early copy of next Tuesday's BD, or did someone complain about the Platinum DVD, and just fan-gripe "Knowing Disney, they'll probably just recycle the old master"?

(And yes, the old master was pretty bad, but that's not what I'm buying, are you?)
You know the answer to that. I can't believe you don't. Being here and participating on discussions and such, it's impossible not to know the answer to this question.

But once again, as I have done in the past, I will direct you to the links that I posted where you can see that the images are taken directly from the BD and that no, it's not some far-fetched fan overreaction, or a conspiracy theory, but some picture-sourced facts - 1000 words each
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #2956
thegoat thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2012
285
287
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Wow thatís very disappointing! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder why many sites are giving this release top marks?
In general, it seems to be a great-looking picture. It only looks bad once you realize how much detail is just inexplicably gone. If the reviewers were more Cinderella-savy, it may have received lower marks (I haven't seen the disc myself, though).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #2957
disneyfreak disneyfreak is offline
Power Member
 
disneyfreak's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
44
20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik kinder View Post
It is out in the UK. Also there is Tarzan and Peter Pan will be released in October, I believe.
I think he meant that 101 Dalmatians could get Disneyview in the US, the us tends to get more bonus features, and other things like Disney's second screen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #2958
cuppycakesaurus cuppycakesaurus is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2012
Canada
115
6
7
Default

This arrived in my mailbox from the DMC on Friday.

Thought I'd share some photos:


Yes, there is a small dent in my jewelry box.

I also wish they had a little booklet with a list of special features (like the flowcharts they usually include in the regular blu-ray cases).

But otherwise everything looked great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #2959
Mason_Ireton Mason_Ireton is offline
Expert Member
 
Mason_Ireton's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Pacific City, Oregon
67
Send a message via Yahoo to Mason_Ireton Send a message via Skype™ to Mason_Ireton
Default

Does Cindy's Diamond Disc have art color???
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #2960
cuppycakesaurus cuppycakesaurus is offline
Active Member
 
Jul 2012
Canada
115
6
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason_Ireton View Post
Does Cindy's Diamond Disc have art color???
None in the 3-movie jewelry collection had disc art. Just plain blue/grey/yellow for blu-ray/dvd/digital copy with text indicating what was on each disc.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 AM.