Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Hemisphere Box of Horrors (Blu-ray)
$57.67

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.00

Outlander: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$44.95

Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99

How to Train Your Dragon: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Pet Sematary 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Dog's Way Home (Blu-ray)
$19.95

All Eyez on Me (Blu-ray)
$4.99
23 hrs ago
Spider-Man Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$21.58

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #14261

Sep 2015
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
John Campea's specialty is predicting box office numbers and casting choices for upcoming superhero movies.

He's wrong 99% of the time.

I'm not sure what his chances are for making a successful prediction about something outside of his specialty but I'm pretty sure they're not good. The entire comment section of that video is telling him that he's wrong lol.
I respect John Campea as he is very knowledgeable about many different kinds of movies but he can be quite biased at times and doesn't always acknowledge valid counter arguments to his points. The physical vs digital discussion is a perfect example, he clearly prefers the latter and is actively promoting it. In one of his videos where he responded to a viewer whose house was broken into and had their media collection stolen he was like "there you go kids, buy digital because no one can steal them from you"... yes they can. Digital purchases are licenses to use content that can be revoked or edited anyway the studios want and he knows it.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #14262
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Another name to ignore when Iím browsing. Any fan of digital is a enemy of mine.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #14263

Jan 2019
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
I respect John Campea as he is very knowledgeable about many different kinds of movies but he can be quite biased at times and doesn't always acknowledge valid counter arguments to his points. The physical vs digital discussion is a perfect example, he clearly prefers the latter and is actively promoting it. In one of his videos where he responded to a viewer whose house was broken into and had their media collection stolen he was like "there you go kids, buy digital because no one can steal them from you"... yes they can. Digital purchases are licenses to use content that can be revoked or edited anyway the studios want and he knows it.
I agree he's very knowledgeable about films, the business, and aspects of film production but when it comes to predicting the future he knows about as much as anybody else. Also, biased is being too kind as he comes across as a blatant Disney shill at times, and just a company man in general. I predict he will be shilling the bejeezus out of Disney+
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 AM   #14264
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
It will be phased out eventually or film and tv producers will think ďwhat the heckí and just give us ten minute slots of entertainment. If the vast majority of people want to fast forward through content,there isnít even a future for film.

Maybe future TVs will be only able to play faster speeds in much the same way that motion smoothing is forced on some TVs.
I think you spend your days trying to imagine the worst things that can happen. Personally, unless you're trolling, I think you're insane.

Motion smoothing is NOT forced on any TV that I'm aware of. It might be the default, but it can be easily turned off and no future TV is only going to play programs "faster". Let's not be ridiculous.

I do agree that TV shows, especially talk and variety shows do want to have web-friendly segments as more and more people simply watch such segments on websites, driven by mentions on social media. The Conan show recently became a 30 minute show instead of one-hour and supposedly now focuses on web-friendly bits. But those aren't dramas or movies.

In fact, with the popularity of binge watching and episodes of series on cable and streaming services that no longer adhere to typical program lengths or network clocks and run longer, one could argue that programs are getting far longer, not shorter. There have been 67 episodes so far of Game of Thrones and the last episode of Season 7 ran 80 minutes.

In North America, six of the top 10 films of 2018 were over two hours. In 2009, seven of the top 10 movies of the year were over two hours, so nothing much has changed. And what do many fans want (whether they're streaming or watching physical media)? Director's cuts with added cut scenes, making the films even longer.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #14265
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
I think you spend your days trying to imagine the worst things that can happen. Personally, unless you're trolling, I think you're insane.

Motion smoothing is NOT forced on any TV that I'm aware of. It might be the default, but it can be easily turned off and no future TV is only going to play programs "faster". Let's not be ridiculous.

I do agree that TV shows, especially talk and variety shows do want to have web-friendly segments as more and more people simply watch such segments on websites, driven by mentions on social media. The Conan show recently became a 30 minute show instead of one-hour and supposedly now focuses on web-friendly bits. But those aren't dramas or movies.

In fact, with the popularity of binge watching and episodes of series on cable and streaming services that no longer adhere to typical program lengths or network clocks and run longer, one could argue that programs are getting far longer, not shorter. There have been 67 episodes so far of Game of Thrones and the last episode of Season 7 ran 80 minutes.

In North America, six of the top 10 films of 2018 were over two hours. In 2009, seven of the top 10 movies of the year were over two hours, so nothing much has changed. And what do many fans want (whether they're streaming or watching physical media)? Director's cuts with added cut scenes, making the films even longer.
So you admit that content is warping to suit mobile friendly consumers. Thanks for that.

The other question? I must be insane because I’m certainly no troll. Well, no more than you for posting negative Blu-ray news every chance you get?

Last edited by Steedeel; Yesterday at 12:05 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #14266
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Wonder how Vilya is doing? After that Twin Peaks binge, hope he isnít stuck in the Black lodge!
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #14267
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Even if the speed up thing is bonkers to you guys, it will be something like that and I think I’m on the right track. Another strong possibility is Peoole just watching highlights rather than full shows in the future. In that sense, the end result is the same. Content condensed. I think it was mentioned last year that AT&T or HBO want to have 20 minute segments of shows like Game Of Thrones on mobile.
Added to that, there are plans from some studios to have highlights websites where you can access highlights of many many shows.
We are also getting object Based Broadcasting down the line (3 years away I think) that will allow audiences to manipulate shows to suit their own time restraints. Cutting chunks of the story away in other words.

At that point, with the population watching highlights, surely the studios ar3 wasting money with shooting long form, full shows. They may just think if everyone is watching 15,20 min highlight shows, why not just shoot 20 minute episodes.

As I have said before, you guys lack vision. You don’tsee what is coming but coming it is.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM   #14268

Apr 2017

There are literally hundreds of millions of people watching movies and TV shows. Why is it so hard for you to grasp that they don't all want the same thing?

Some people want to watch short videos on their phones and others want to watch long videos on their TVs. They are different audiences and the studios will continue to cater to both of them, traditional movies and TV shows are not in danger. Making short versions of existing movies and TV shows is just a cheap way to reach a new audience, it doesn't mean the studios are abandoning their existing audience.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; Today at 12:10 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (Yesterday), mrveggieman (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology