Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
£22.07

Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Monty Python's Flying Circus: The Complete Series Two (Blu-ray)
£20.99

Monty Python's Flying Circus: The Complete Series Three (Blu-ray)
£27.99

Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
£2.38
9 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
£37.98

Avengers: Endgame (Blu-ray)
£9.83

Mr. Jones (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Avengers: Endgame 3D (Blu-ray)
£11.99

Charlie's Angels Double Pack (Blu-ray)
£4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #14461

Apr 2019

MICKEY ONE is now listed as OOP joining THE COLLECTOR.

Standard editions of both are flagged for later this year.
Thanks given by:
jayembee (01-13-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #14462
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India
Default Ninety Degrees in the Shade

The Czech seem to have a way of making understated human dramas from genre tropes. Jerzy Kawalerowicz's Night Train was about the search for a murderer hidden somewhere on a packed train. Jiri Weiss' 90 Degrees in the Shade is a petty crime noir. In both cases, the suspense element is tamped down in favor of being a stark character study.

Weiss' film begins with a documentary coverage of people spending their afternoon break. One of them is Alena (Anne Heywood), who we see sunbathing. She is stared at by a fruit-eating youth and later a chubby middle-aged bespectacled man who seems out of place in the sunny outdoors in his buttoned up suit. We see this man again later - he is Kurka (Rudolf Hrusínský, famous as Juraj Herz's The Cremator), a supplies auditor come to take inventory at the shop where Alena works as an assistant. Kurka is an archetype bureaucrat, a stickler for rules, devoid of humor or affability; he has an almost slug-like persona. Kurka leads a suppressed life, estranged from wife and son. Flustered by even casual personal connect, his interaction with the world seems to be primarily a form of stock-taking, be it people or goods.

Alena on the other hand is a bundle of emotions. She is a good worker but has been involved in a serious affair with the store manager Vorel (James Booth), and in consequence shielded his pilfering of a dozen liquor bottles from the store, which could come to light during Kurka's inventory. In the film's most forthright noir sequence, she and Vorel hurriedly work to replace the missing bottles during off-hours, borrowing money to buy the liquor and making their way through a hidden back entrance (this is tellingly juxtaposed with the scene of Kurka lying sleepless in bed, reflecting on the sterility of his existence).In their scenes together, Alena and Kurka are an excellent study in contrasts. He is embarrassed by her attractiveness and she is inhibited by his dour nature. Early on they are placed in the cubbyhole storeroom, checking stock as they stifle in the titular heat. There is an atmosphere of sexual tension, especially when Alena accidentally spills coffee over Kurka's trousers and insists on wiping off the stains, kneeling by Kurka as he stands abashed in the closed silence.

Vorel is the third pivot of the script. He is seeing Alena but he is also married with children (in artfully inserted flashbacks of their private moments, he repeatedly talks of divorcing his wife, but seems unable to actually do it, and Alena is also unwilling for the arrangement). In an accident during the inventory, it is revealed that his sleight-of-hand is not restricted to the surreptitiously replaced bottles; he has been playing a more systematic swindle game. When suspicion falls on Alena for the theft, he is happy to let her take the blame, arguing that his punishment would be more severe and would affect his family. When she later meets an unhappy fate it is suggested that he has discarded her like an old doll. But he must now contend with Kurka who suffers the guilt of having indicted her for another's crime. While some of the symbolism is on-the-nose, 90 Degrees... does not descend into soapy melodrama, remaining an incisive observational play.

The film was made, unusually, as a British-Czech co-production with actors from both countries. Separate versions were made for each language (the final edit of the Czech version was supervised by Weiss himself and is about 10 min shorter than the British cut). Unlike most native Czech films, this one was shot in 2:35:1 Cinemascope, although I didn't find its use of widescreen particularly striking.

Indicator's blu-ray includes both English and Czech versions of the film as separate encodes. I have only seen the English version, and it looks alright, though not as good as the top-tier B&W releases. The image is soft and shows some dirt and damage, and on many occasions appears vertically squeezed (Cinemascope mumps?). In the extras (which I haven't as yet checked), Michael Brooke provides both a feature-length audio commentary and a video comparison of the two versions, and a number of Jiri Weiss short films are included.

Thanks given by:
Aclea (01-12-2020), BagheeraMcGee (01-13-2020), jayembee (01-13-2020), KJones77 (01-13-2020), Nedoflanders (01-12-2020), nitin (01-13-2020), solovoyager (01-12-2020), sonny gaunt (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #14463

Mar 2011

For a short time I thought that I was getting somewhere with Indicator support, was receiving email responses that were helpful and mentioned locating replacements for the affected items only to receive an email earlier today from someone else asking for the same info I have sent before. At this stage I'm considering not bothering with Indicator going forward as their responses to customer issues of late has been lacking.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #14464

May 2018
Leeds, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
Hammer 6 will have to be sourced primarily from the SC catalogue, and I see two broad possibilities:

1) A fantasy set containing 4 of She, The Vengeance of She, Viking Queen, Prehistoric Women, The Lost Continent and the Sony-owned Creatures the World Forgot. Might be limited to what SC agree to sub-licence, but if they can get all of these, maybe the unlucky two will appear further down the line.

2) Some kind of drama set consisting of Hell is a City, The Nanny, The Anniversary and one more. It's not ideal in a thematic sense but as long as we get them I don't see anyone complaining. Maybe they could include The Steel Bayonet here, if indeed SC are willing to sub-licence titles from the Hammer catalogue.

I say two broad possibilities, because if SC were unwilling to give Indicator Devil-Ship Pirates, I'd be very surprised if they gave them any of the more prominent sci-fi/horror stuff, particularly those they're now distributing on behalf of Hammer (Quatermass Experiment, The Abominable Snowman, Captain Kronos and so forth). But I'm interested to know the fate of Sword of Sherwood Forest, which seemed like it might have worked better in Volume 5 than Visa to Canton (which might have worked better on option 2 outlined above). I have to think they grabbed this from Sony, so are they hoping to match it with A Challenge for Robin Hood? And if they can get hold of Men of Sherwood Forest and even the Wolfshead pilot (Hammer-owned titles) from SC, could they have plans for a dedicated Robin Hood set?

We're also left wondering the fate of The Ugly Duckling (if indeed this was the title Kim Newman was referring to many moons ago now)
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but do SC definitely have the rights to The Devil-Ship Pirates? It just seems strange that SC would be unwilling to license them to Indicator, as it's not exactly a 'name' Hammer Film. As previously noted in this forum, Jonathan Rigby has made optimistic statements about SC licencing the Quatermass films they hold the rights to, which are far more popular (and lucrative) titles; so it's strange that they'd be tight-fisted about one of Hammer's relatively minor adventure films.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #14465
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

They may have already prepared their own disc: if nothing else, it's still a Christopher Lee Hammer and the production stories about the ship that Hammer built to use on multiple films but turned out to be so shoddily built and dangerous - it even capsized with all hands during a teabreak - that they burned it for real instead are the stuff of legend and a goldmine for a featurette and commentary.

Last edited by Aclea; 01-13-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 AM   #14466
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but do SC definitely have the rights to The Devil-Ship Pirates? It just seems strange that SC would be unwilling to license them to Indicator, as it's not exactly a 'name' Hammer Film. As previously noted in this forum, Jonathan Rigby has made optimistic statements about SC licencing the Quatermass films they hold the rights to, which are far more popular (and lucrative) titles; so it's strange that they'd be tight-fisted about one of Hammer's relatively minor adventure films.
It appears quite certain that Devil-Ship Pirates is with SC. I asked John from Indicator about it, and hopefully he won't mind me relaying his response here, since it's fairly general:

Quote:
We were a bit gutted by Devil Ship Pirates, but we do have some really great titles in the Studio Canal deal, so we can’t complain too much I suppose.
It's unclear in this context as to whether 'really great titles' refers to Hammer films.
Thanks given by:
Aficionado (01-14-2020), Mr. Thomsen (01-14-2020), StarDestroyer52 (01-14-2020), Witchfinger Generous (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #14467
Power Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Could it be a case of SC not having an HD scan to hand? Their DVD was non-anamorphic.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #14468
Expert Member

Jul 2015
New York

Just got notice that my order for Night Tide has shipped!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #14469

Jan 2020

How often does Indicator run sales, other than the 10% off the latest titles?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #14470
Special Member

Oct 2010
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarczi View Post
How often does Indicator run sales, other than the 10% off the latest titles?
No more then once a year, i think in October but it could be November.
Thanks given by:
mmarczi (01-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #14471
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2016
Sutton Coldfield, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modman View Post
No more then once a year, i think in October but it could be November.
The last one was in August
Old 01-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #14472

Jul 2018
Hants, UK

does anyone have any thoughts on why California Split still hasn't been released?
Old 01-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #14473
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam4077 View Post
does anyone have any thoughts on why California Split still hasn't been released?
All signs point towards them waiting for Sony to finish a new restoration (as was the case with Revenge of Frankenstein of course).
Thanks given by:
nam4077 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #14474
Expert Member

Jul 2015
New York

Looks like DiabolikDVD has 1 copy of the limited edition version of Torture Garden waiting to be snapped up.

EDIT: My mistake! It's the standard edition. Pic is of the limited, but the description says standard.

That being said, they do have a few copies of Charley Varrick [LTD ED]

Last edited by BurningAstronaut; 01-17-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: remove link to Torture Garden
Old 01-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #14475
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2016
Eastern Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningAstronaut View Post
That being said, they do have a few copies of Charley Varrick [LTD ED]
If someone is from the US, they might just want to grab the Kino version of Charley Varrick and its exclusive and gorgeous new 4K remaster. If I recall correctly, there were some concerns with the video on the Indicator version.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #14476
Special Member

Oct 2010
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDestroyer52 View Post
If someone is from the US, they might just want to grab the Kino version of Charley Varrick and its exclusive and gorgeous new 4K remaster. If I recall correctly, there were some concerns with the video on the Indicator version.
Agreed, there isn't anything particularly wrong with the video on the Indicator release it's just an old master and has some limitations.

I think I read somebody complaining why didn't Indicator wait for the remaster which is dumb unless Indicator knew it was on its way - time makes fools of us all.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #14477
Power Member

Aug 2010

Cleared out some trash to cex and ordered the Harryhausen vol 2 set after a few recommendations of Mysterious Island. Was a punt as ordered online but luckily came in perfect condition, looks a great set, so pleased and will get stuck in soon.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #14478
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDestroyer52 View Post
Anything before the new 4K remaster used by Kino is likely to be from the same dated HD master used in the UK by Indicator and in France by Wild Side, which is a very typically dated HD master from Universal. It's limited, pink, thick, EEd and just crying to be replaced by something newer.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #14479
Expert Member

Apr 2018
Virginia, United States

As a non-video aficionado, I was fine with the Charley Varrick transfer on the Indicator release. I'm sure the Kino is better in that regard, but the extras/booklet from Indicator make it negligible imo.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #14480
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
USA

Night Tide arrived today number 0372

Thanks given by:
DefLeppard (01-18-2020), jackranderson (01-18-2020), sonny gaunt (01-19-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland