Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 hr ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
4 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Husbands (Blu-ray)
$29.49
1 hr ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
4 hrs ago
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
9 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Golem (Blu-ray)
$19.89
9 hrs ago
The Man from the Alamo / They Came to Cordura (Blu-ray)
$11.99
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #2001
The Digital Bits

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Thank God you finally showed up.
As paidgeek is now "officially" on vacation throughout all of next week and I'll be busy as a bee for the next several days.

I hope you (as well as our other insiders ) can carry some of the load.

Me tired.
Ha! Yeah, sorry about that, man. I got your back. I'll check in at least once a day to pitch in.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #2002
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
All of them and I mean all of them….. R.G., D.V., rdjam, plazman, Kosty, etc. have made some of the most ridiculous predictions, or proclamations about upcoming “studio press announcements” based on “their sources” that turned out to be baloney.
Trip down memory lane, Penton. Remember that time the person bolded above tried to argue with you, stating that you were nothing more than "an expert Googler". That was one of my favorite "posts by an idiot" of the ENTIRE format war.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #2003
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Last edited by Rob Tomlin; 11-06-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #2004
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

Nice job over at HTF, Max. Too bad Robert George was so frustrated by not being able to respond to your logic/facts that he had to resort to calling you names.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #2005

Jul 2007

http://xkcd.com/386/

a typical night's snapshot of our insiders

Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #2006

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangy38 View Post

Awesome!

Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #2007
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post
And that particular idiot seems to have completely disappeared.
...but of course. Nobody was ever more wrong in this format war with predictions than plazman was. I used to love his "logic", when he'd launch into his little "you guys don't know how business works"...

Funny, I'm the CFO of a major business (Dr. Evil type money..."one hundred million, billion dollars" )...I think I know a little bit more about business than some a-hole/j-off over at AVS.

Though since you're an attorney...I'm not going to argue logic with you.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #2008
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Though since you're an attorney...I'm not going to argue logic with you.
My experience is that lawyers create their own logic, then proceed to convince ou that it's normal

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #2009
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Max, Penton, time to put out another bag of flaming poo.

This time from our old friend Kosty, who's trying to pass of the same FUD as Obi (albiet in a much "nicer" tone)

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...=24#post862919
Please, isn’t he the same false prophet that got AVS in a big brouhaha (Grubert , [the documentation dude for online accuracy] where are you?).

Anyway if memory serves, the brouhaha being during the later stages of the format war when he proclaimed that “there would be a big WB press conference tomorrow” or some such nonsense………..which never happened….because it wasn’t scheduled to happen, in the first place.

Is he the same guy ?
I guess it shows that rust never sleeps. The unfortunate thing about the internet is that people that speak the loudest and longest about a certain topic are believed to be credible by some uninformed readers. This has indeed caused many industry folk to no longer frequent consumer forums.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #2010

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post
Trip down memory lane, Penton. Remember that time the person bolded above tried to argue with you, stating that you were nothing more than "an expert Googler". That was one of my favorite "posts by an idiot" of the ENTIRE format war.
I do confess to being an “expert YouTuber”.
You see, when I remember some movie to utilize as a vehicle to bring a point across visually, I go to the top of the page and I plug in the name of the movie in that search box thingee.

Works every time.

P.S.
Plus, it wouldn't be bad to be an "expert Googler" anyways, as I'm sure you know who they have as an arch enemy.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #2011

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post
And that particular idiot seems to have completely disappeared.
I’m not sure Rob, you never know with the internet.
Some of these guys just re-invent themselves with new screen names.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #2012

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
Seriously: There should be duplicates kept somewhere else. You can't guarantee any region is stable. So, some redundancy is demanded.
Correct.
Whether the original film elements be protection dupes, the original camera negative or 35mm color separations on B&W stock, it is important that they get stored at geographically separate locations.

Major Hollywood studios at the forefront of film preservation have 3 storage facilities in different parts of country for original elements.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #2013

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Ha! Yeah, sorry about that, man. I got your back. I'll check in at least once a day to pitch in.
Thanks.
I see that kjack and Sir Terrence have also stepped up as of late.

If you guys would like to entice our BD authoring and compression resident insider "2themax" back online again, perhaps ask him something interesting such as what “coring” means to a compressionist. Coring results in “banding” which is probably more commonly used as a term on the forums.

P.S.
b.t.w., Bill, our original Santa Ana sweetheart and perpetual beauty, Michelle Pfeiffer turns 50 in just about a month.
Time flies.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #2014

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangy38 View Post

LOL, it’s worse than that. Just prior to the above, last night after watching the Blu-ray, I am Legend, my wife says ……………

“Can you call those people up and ask them if they would sell the dog to us. “Samantha” is just beautiful.”

Like we need another animal in the house.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #2015
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Besides, Maya would get ticked at you for cheating on her

Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #2016
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
Please, isn’t he the same false prophet that got AVS in a big brouhaha (Grubert , [the documentation dude for online accuracy] where are you?).

Anyway if memory serves, the brouhaha being during the later stages of the format war when he proclaimed that “there would be a big WB press conference tomorrow” or some such nonsense………..which never happened….because it wasn’t scheduled to happen, in the first place.

Is he the same guy ?
I guess it shows that rust never sleeps. The unfortunate thing about the internet is that people that speak the loudest and longest about a certain topic are believed to be credible by some uninformed readers. This has indeed caused many industry folk to no longer frequent consumer forums.
Hmm, not sure if he's the same one. There were so many FUDsters over there I would usually just blur by their posts. Kosty usually hung out in the "sales" type threads making excuses for whenever BD would trounce HD DVD and the usual assurances that rebound was always just around the corner. However when WB jumped he was one of the first of the hardcore reds to concede defeat and told people to buy Blu.

Not making excuses for him, however he is trying to pass himself off as some kind insider when it comes to the BD50 production & Paramount/Universal situation and some of the more naive are believing it on the link I provided.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #2017
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

as long as we're talking about FUD-red boys getting their come-up-ins, thought you'd like to know that Lotus has been retired from AVrev...

Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #2018

Jan 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranma View Post
Penton, I think you should already know that a certain software company claimed that they defeated BD+ yesterday. And what's your comments and
what do you think of this to impact studios' decisions?

Thank you.
Hopefully the studios will finally realise that it's utterly impossible to stop somebody from breaking your encryption when you provide them with both the data and the key required to unlock it. If you can play it, you can copy it - it's always just a matter of time.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #2019

Mar 2007

Quote:
You noticed that.
As far as I’m concerned it’s just another washing cycle……..i.e. wash, rinse, spin dry………..
Then, repeat the process a few days/weeks later with a different operator at the switch.

What I find amusing is how naïve the “online experts”….....gizmo, R.G., etc. are, in regards to the “production queue” and what happens routinely to orders when studios decide to delay or indefinitely postpone titles due to a variety of reasons including marketing factors.

P.S.
I really wonder what these guys will come up with in 6 months or a year from now as a new *topic of choice*.

It's seems like a STD, just flares up every so often.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #2020
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
The sad fact of the matter is that on some other forums these days anyone with a keyboard and an internet connection can suddenly become an immediate “insider” or portray himself as such with phrases like “I have been told”, “my sources say”, etc. and then spew forth some opinion as fact.

My best advice to all new members to this forum that frequent other forums (like HTF or AVS) and are unfamiliar with the most infamous HD DVD “supporters” is to check their past posting history.
All of them and I mean all of them….. R.G., D.V., rdjam, plazman, Kosty, etc. have made some of the most ridiculous predictions, or proclamations about upcoming “studio press announcements” based on “their sources” that turned out to be baloney.

Do your research. Go back and look at all previous predictions, assertions, etc. from all these wanna-bees and form your own conclusions. The paper trail does not lie. The insiders here (or at least what I’ve read of their postings) have been nearly impeccable or outright perfect.
Although, in defense of some... and any insider that denies this is straight-up lying... this format war was nothing if not extremely fluid. There are things that were predicted to happen (by proponents of both formats) that changed (and I know that for a fact). Actions that were set in motion were diverted by various forces. Decisions were reversed. Sometimes things were misunderstood. Unfortunately, some basically good people with some solid information were made to be liars simply by virtue of the way things often change. It doesn't change the outcome of all this, but you should always be careful of how you label others because you often don't have the entire story. Certainly Bill has fought this. I'm sure he'd tell you that things he hears from his (solid) sources change so frequently that he often gets nervous printing it.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion