Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sergio Leone Westerns (Blu-ray)
$53.99
12 hrs ago
Parasite (Blu-ray)
$19.96
9 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$13.33
1 hr ago
Spookies (Blu-ray)
$23.49
12 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ip Man 4: The Finale 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Cannibal Apocalypse (Blu-ray)
$19.89
13 hrs ago
Beyond the Door (Blu-ray)
$36.49
13 hrs ago
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$29.39

It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 12-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #361

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
I guess I'll take exception -- my Ikea bookcases and media shelves have been rock steady and some of them are approaching a dozen years. Not fancy, pretty inexpensive, no bowing, separation of layers, even the surfaces have resisted scratches and fading, no breakage of the verticals, shelf supports, etc (including the extra holes I made to customize the shelf spacing. Most of them are fairly heavily loaded most of the time though haven't had pets, small children, or direct sunlight to contend with.

These units have held up amazingly well compared to any of the Sauder, Atl Tech, OfficeMax type shelving I used for DVD for a decade prior.
fair enough, maybe I shouldn't be including ikea in the group I have owned a few ikea items and not had good luck with them, but it's a pretty limited amount as I don't have an ikea nearby.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:29 AM   #362
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenny80 View Post
fair enough, maybe I shouldn't be including ikea in the group I have owned a few ikea items and not had good luck with them, but it's a pretty limited amount as I don't have an ikea nearby.
I'm not a big fan of the furniture (bedding, Family Room, Sofa/Chair, Dining table/chair etc), but their accessory units seem pretty good if you ignore the supercheap lines.

Billy, Besta, Kallax/Expedit, Hemnes units have been pretty solid for me anyway.
Thanks given by:
Tenny80 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #363
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

My Billy’s are quite old now and look the same as the day I bought them. Solid as a rock
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-18-2020), Tenny80 (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 10:20 PM   #364
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of shelves made of laminated MDF or particle board... solid timber shelves make a collection stand out more, and demonstrates the pride that one has in their collection is on another level I think.

Last edited by Cevolution; 01-01-2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #365
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2011
On my sofa

All comes down to budget I guess.
Having had a look at your gallery, budget doesn't seem to be a problem

You clearly love what you do. Cudos on the lovely setup
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #366

Oct 2008
Fishers, IN
Default UHD/blu-ray/DVD Storage Cabinet - FREE

I posted this in the Trading Forum, but I thought I would post this here in the event there is anyone interested.

I have a custom made movie storage cabinet that I no longer need as my collection has surpassed its storage capacity. Therefore, I thought I'd see if any fellow movie collectors of the forum are interested in it before it heads for donation. No charge for the cabinet itself as long as you can physically pick it up and transport it to wherever you need.

It's made of solid plywood. Dimensions are 72" L x 72" H x 7.5" W. Each shelf area is 23" L x 9" H and easily accommodates all UHD/blu-ray/DVD cases and most box sets. There are 21 individual shelves (shelves are not movable). The entire cabinet could hold approx. 945 movies if you assume 1/2" width per movie case. The cabinet is painted java, but could easily be re-painted to a different color if desired.

The cabinet is a bit dusty as it's currently being stored in my garage, but there is no physical damage of note. I live outside Indianapolis, IN if there are any fellow midwesterners that are interested. PM me if you have any questions or interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (10.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (11.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0045.jpg (7.4 KB, 59 views)
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-18-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #367
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
My Billy’s are quite old now and look the same as the day I bought them. Solid as a rock
I've had the trusty Billy for awhile now too. A few of them actually. They all hold up great.

The only complaint with mine (black-brown color) is that they're textured. So if I run my swiffer duster across the shelves, sometimes it'll leave behind some little pieces of the swiffer.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #368
Special Member

Apr 2014
United States

I always use poplar wood for my shelving. It's stronger than is necessary for this application, but it looks great.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #369

Jul 2011

I have 5 Billy book cases for my Cds, plus one that is the same height but half the width. I also have 2 Billy book cases with the height extenders for all of my Blu-rays and some DVDs. We turned our never used Living Room into an Office/Media Room.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:20 AM   #370

Jun 2012

I'm getting dangerously low on space and I'm searching for replacement options. Everyone keeps recommending Billy cases but I just can't do the black-brown. It kills my aesthetic.

I just stumbled upon this. I don't know if they are new but they are cheap, black and nearly the same size.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnby-...lack-10261129/

Anyone have the Finnby? I'm thinking I'd want at least 3-4 but I wonder how many movies they'd fit?

For anyone with a Billy, how many movies can you roughly fit with a full shelf?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #371
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
I'm getting dangerously low on space and I'm searching for replacement options. Everyone keeps recommending Billy cases but I just can't do the black-brown. It kills my aesthetic.

I just stumbled upon this. I don't know if they are new but they are cheap, black and nearly the same size.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/finnby-...lack-10261129/

Anyone have the Finnby? I'm thinking I'd want at least 3-4 but I wonder how many movies they'd fit?

For anyone with a Billy, how many movies can you roughly fit with a full shelf?
Those Finnby are exactly what I bought yesterday. They're my second set. I left behind the other set when I moved.
They're almost the same as Billy, but not as much depth, which I like.
I have around 600 movies and four units were almost full.
I'm putting them together today and will post here tomorrow how full the fourth shelf is with my movie quantity.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #372

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL13 View Post
that looks awesome exactly what I have been looking for....I like my stuff locked up too no prying eyes or hands
Thanks for the suggestion. Got one of these after seeing your post, still about $200 on Amz, but very nice for what it is and not too difficult to assemble, will be purchasing another down the road. (Yeah, I'm gonna have to steal your lighting idea too😁thanks again)
Thanks given by:
hoops103 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #373
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanagain View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Got one of these after seeing your post, still about $200 on Amz, but very nice for what it is and not too difficult to assemble, will be purchasing another down the road. (Yeah, I'm gonna have to steal your lighting idea too😁thanks again)
Can you please post the AMZ link? Interested to see how you do that lighting. Previous posters images are not working.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #374

Jun 2012

Has anyone tried cube storage or the Ikea Kallax for their movies? One thing that is appealing to me is that they are stackable/expandable so I can go floor to ceiling if needed.

I also like that the depth and height aren't as wasteful as something like the Billy or other bookshelves.

The downside is the backing. They are open. Does anyone know if you can buy backing board anywhere? Preferably black?

I'm still trying to decide the direction I want to go but I saw a recent video game collection video and they had everything in cube storage and it looked really nice.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #375
Power Member

Jan 2019

Quote:
Has anyone tried cube storage or the Ikea Kallax for their movies? One thing that is appealing to me is that they are stackable/expandable so I can go floor to ceiling if needed.

I also like that the depth and height aren't as wasteful as something like the Billy or other bookshelves.

The downside is the backing. They are open. Does anyone know if you can buy backing board anywhere? Preferably black?

I'm still trying to decide the direction I want to go but I saw a recent video game collection video and they had everything in cube storage and it looked really nice.

You can use a thin plywood from HD and cut to size and then paint and apply.

If you want to go ultra cheap, get some black posterboard from Michaels and use that.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #376
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:

I not sure I agree with that at all esp if you are only going to do one layer of discs and all facing one direction. I would think the Billy's would be far more space effective than the Kallax whose shelves are 12x12x15 and fixed unless you used both sides as a front or double layers.

A 72x72x15 Kallax should be able to store 600-650 14mm cases using one layer and up to 1300 if they either used as a divider with 2 layers facing outward or double layers (with a front/rear layer). If you had mostly US 11-12mm single movie cases it would be more than that, but add some boxsets, digibooks, digipacks, UK Cases so I use 14mm as an average.

Billy's at 79 x 77 x 11 (two 31 in and a 15 in width) using extra shelves should be able to get 8 shelves with the extra wood shelves or up to 10 using glass shelves (2 fixed wood levels and 8 glass shelves). That would easily get 1000 with 8 shelf levels and 1300 with the glass shelf option and using a single layer of discs. It's possible to use double layers (front/rear) of disc with the Billy's

I have some 79/31/11 Billy's with 10 shelves (not counting the top) so I know that format works and I could easily get 500 in a single row and close to 600 cases in one unit if I had to (1200 if I double) so 2.5 units could hold a lot of discs.

That's around 77K cu. in for the Kallax vs 67K cu in for the Billys
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #377

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
I not sure I agree with that at all esp if you are only going to do one layer of discs and all facing one direction. I would think the Billy's would be far more space effective than the Kallax whose shelves are 12x12x15 and fixed unless you used both sides as a front or double layers.

A 72x72x15 Kallax should be able to store 600-650 14mm cases using one layer and up to 1300 if they either used as a divider with 2 layers facing outward or double layers (with a front/rear layer). If you had mostly US 11-12mm single movie cases it would be more than that, but add some boxsets, digibooks, digipacks, UK Cases so I use 14mm as an average.

Billy's at 79 x 77 x 11 (two 31 in and a 15 in width) using extra shelves should be able to get 8 shelves with the extra wood shelves or up to 10 using glass shelves (2 fixed wood levels and 8 glass shelves). That would easily get 1000 with 8 shelf levels and 1300 with the glass shelf option and using a single layer of discs. It's possible to use double layers (front/rear) of disc with the Billy's

I have some 79/31/11 Billy's with 10 shelves (not counting the top) so I know that format works and I could easily get 500 in a single row and close to 600 cases in one unit if I had to (1200 if I double) so 2.5 units could hold a lot of discs.

That's around 77K cu. in for the Kallax vs 67K cu in for the Billys
I guess I'd need to see a picture of a Billy full of Blus (potential band name).

With extra shelves, the Billy would definitely be superior but just stock, I think it would be a bit of a waste.

I don't have an Ikea where I am and with Billys already pretty expensive, I don't think I'd want to factor in extra shelves. Also, not having a solid black kinda kills it for me.

I think I'm leaning towards cube storage. I don't have a lot of space to go very wide but I can go high. These are made to go horizontally or vertically:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...Black/47724781

I think I'll put 2 horizontally next to each other and then stack 2 more on each side to the ceiling. 6 of them would only be $180 and should last me until physical media dies.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #378

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
You can use a thin plywood from HD and cut to size and then paint and apply.

If you want to go ultra cheap, get some black posterboard from Michaels and use that.
Great idea on the posterboard. I would just want to cover up the backs and don't really need it to be functional.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction