Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
30 Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.32

Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95

Beyond the Door (Blu-ray)
$33.03
10 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.82
6 hrs ago
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49
1 hr ago
Ultraman Ace (Blu-ray)
$27.04

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraman X: The Series + The Movie (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Charlie's Angels (Blu-ray)
$19.95
18 hrs ago
Sergio Leone Westerns (Blu-ray)
$53.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #3461
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

question here thats probably been asked here and there. Bipoles for Atmos setup. To my understanding using Bi is a no-no for Heights. What about Surround Back channels?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #3462
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
question here thats probably been asked here and there. Bipoles for Atmos setup. To my understanding using Bi is a no-no for Heights. What about Surround Back channels?
Bipoles are useable depending on distances from the main listening positions. If you're close, like 3-4 feet from the surrounds, then bipoles are recommended rather than monopoles.

Overheads can be of the pre-aimed/pre-angled variety for ceilings 8 feet and under like those from RSL Speakers. Wide dispersion overheads like KEF or JBL Control coaxials are good for above 8 feet.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #3463
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Bipoles are useable depending on distances from the main listening positions. If you're close, like 3-4 feet from the surrounds, then bipoles are recommended rather than monopoles.

Overheads can be of the pre-aimed/pre-angled variety for ceilings 8 feet and under like those from RSL Speakers. Wide dispersion overheads like KEF or JBL Control coaxials are good for above 8 feet.
from my listening position to back wall is 5ft. same for the sides of the wall. where I'll sit to near the ceiling for the heights is 4/4.5 ft. Wall length on the side walls is 12ft
Old 01-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #3464
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
from my listening position to back wall is 5ft. same for the sides of the wall. where I'll sit to near the ceiling for the heights is 4/4.5 ft. Wall length on the side walls is 12ft

You're right on the cusp of bipole and monopole surrounds. You could probably go monopole as long as they don't have too narrow a dispersion.

They should be timbre matched to the front speakers if you can help it. Unless you're updating your speakers as well.

What is your ceiling height?
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #3465
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
You're right on the cusp of bipole and monopole surrounds. You could probably go monopole as long as they don't have too narrow a dispersion.

They should be timbre matched to the front speakers if you can help it. Unless you're updating your speakers as well.

What is your ceiling height?
ceiling height is 9ft.

and already upgraded speakers. SVS Prime Bookshelf for front and Prime Center

Those are the only things I have hooked up. I have 4 Polk T15's just sitting around. I really thought about just getting 2 more if I wanted to do the 5.1.4 setup. Get Bestbuy to price match Amazon and use my Rewards, I should get the 2 speakers for $50

Last edited by tommyboy81; 01-12-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #3466
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
ceiling height is 9ft.

and already upgraded speakers. SVS Prime Bookshelf for front and Prime Center

Those are the only things I have hooked up. I have 4 Polk T15's just sitting around. I really thought about just getting 2 more if I wanted to do the 5.1.4 setup. Get Bestbuy to price match Amazon and use my Rewards, I should get the 2 speakers for $50

I would get matching Prime's for the surrounds, and hang the T15's from the ceiling using angle adjustable key hole mounts.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-14-2020)
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #3467

Oct 2014

hi everyone, I've been away for sometime now. i'm stuck on my options for 5.1.4. What are current users of this setup using as height designations? I started with front heights (a little in front of, and at ceiling wall juncture at side of MLP. Also rear heights in back of and at wall ceiling juncture. I did the calibration 8 locations in a 12'x14' room, Fantastic movement of audio throughout listening area. I was caught up in always hearing my height speakers, but now I also appreciate the other end of the spectrum (enjoying the ride)!! I find myself wondering what if I leave my speakers where they are , but changing their designation setup in my AVR x4100, in other words top middle instead of front heights. My question is will that give me a different audio perspective, or will the Atmos decoder simply use those settings to give me the same listening experience? ie as the director intended???
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion