Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.82

Ip Man 4: The Finale 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 01-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

Oct 2009
Default New 4K Blu-ray's that are shrink wrapped, authentic or not?

Are 4k Blu-ray's that look like they're shrink wrapped authentic?

I purchased Kong:skull Island and Bladerunner 2049 and they don't have the folded flap (at the corners) style plastic wrap, instead, they look they're shrink-wrapped.

See pics...

I bought these new at Amazon.com but also saw some titles in this same shrink wrap at Bestbuy brand new too.

Are 4k Blu-ray's that look like they're shrink-wrapped authentic or fake?

https://ibb.co/xsZ1b48
https://ibb.co/Y0kZK1G
https://ibb.co/8dcRSK4

Old 01-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid View Post
Are 4k Blu-ray's that look like they're shrink wrapped authentic?

I purchased Kong:skull Island and Bladerunner 2049 and they don't have the folded flap (at the corners) style plastic wrap, instead, they look they're shrink-wrapped.

See pics...

I bought these new at Amazon.com but also saw some titles in this same shrink wrap at Bestbuy brand new too.

Are 4k Blu-ray's that look like they're shrink-wrapped authentic or fake?

https://ibb.co/xsZ1b48
https://ibb.co/Y0kZK1G
https://ibb.co/8dcRSK4

Sometimes distributors recall or have to make package changes. Like digital codes being removed or artwork changes, etc. Usually they are shrink wrapped after that as it is more cost effective and for faster turn around. Sometimes Iíve even seen remainders of the original cellophane wrapper around the edges when Iíve opened new shrink wrapped discs. Itís been going on for years now. You are still getting a new product though.
Thanks given by:
mystickid (01-12-2020)
Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
Sometimes distributors recall or have to make package changes. Like digital codes being removed or artwork changes, etc. Usually they are shrink wrapped after that as it is more cost effective and for faster turn around. Sometimes Iíve even seen remainders of the original cellophane wrapper around the edges when Iíve opened new shrink wrapped discs. Itís been going on for years now. You are still getting a new product though.
Thank you for sharing this insight Troy. It's reasurring to know that I'm not purchasing a fake.

I did also display the playback data on the Kong 4K UHD Blu-ray and it was displaying video bitrates in the 50-80 range and Dolby Atmos audio so It does seem like it's authentic.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I wouldn't worry about the purchases being fake, just reseals. Check to see if there's any damage to the discs (or fingerprints). Like Troy73 there are reasons why things get resealed in the US, but they are sometimes returns. Amazon sometimes sell returns as new (it's not super common, but it does happen).
Old 01-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

This is a common reseal. Disc is authentic but you likely got something another customer returned opened. Another reason why I rarely if ever buy disc at amazon.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekky76 View Post
This is a common reseal. Disc is authentic but you likely got something another customer returned opened. Another reason why I rarely if ever buy disc at amazon.
Why? If there is nothing wrong with the disc, its like if you just got a "brand new" one anyway. Is this some OCD issue or what...

I can understand if every time this happened to you the disc was shoddy, and you had to get another sent. But you never said such a thing did happen even once?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4Knight View Post
Why? If there is nothing wrong with the disc, its like if you just got a "brand new" one anyway. Is this some OCD issue or what...

I can understand if every time this happened to you the disc was shoddy, and you had to get another sent. But you never said such a thing did happen even once?
Usually it means no slip and a damaged case. The thin plastic has heat damage. So if I pay the full price I should not have to deal with a used item.
People keep sending stuff back reportedly for malfunctioning and others keep getting it back as "new". So yea that bothers me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology