Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sergio Leone Westerns (Blu-ray)
$53.99
10 hrs ago
Parasite (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Spookies (Blu-ray)
$23.49
10 hrs ago
It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Ip Man 4: The Finale 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Cannibal Apocalypse (Blu-ray)
$19.89
11 hrs ago
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Blu-ray)
$29.39
 
Beyond the Door (Blu-ray)
$36.49
11 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
It: Chapter Two (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Me and You and Everyone We Know (Blu-ray)
$29.49
11 hrs ago
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
Scarriere Scarriere is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™
40
63
623
20
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
If you haven't done the trade-in and since we're both Yamaha fans (and I mean no offense to Anthem, love their amps and gear), I upgraded a RX-A3020 to a "lesser" RX-V2085 (the non-Aventage version of the RX-A2080), and the sound quality difference was substantial. I have since replaced it with an RX-A3080 (the 2085 is now in my man-cave which replaced an RX-A1030), and of course I'm equally impressed with the 3080. But from a SQ perspective, I can't tell the difference in overall sound between the 2085 (which I paid $899 for on Amazon) which speaks volumes of the RX-V series, however I needed the feature set of the 3080 that the 2xxx series doesn't seem to have.

I wasn't expecting any kind of difference in overall SQ and had only done the upgrade to get HDCP 2.2 in both my rooms, but once again I've been floored by Yamaha.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that it's at least worth looking into and maybe put the current Aventage line on your short list.
That is excellent advice, thank you!

I didn't do the trade up program, dang it. I still have my 3050 and 2010 and that's probably a good thing.

What do you think of the RX-V1085? Since you're happy with the 2085, this should be pretty good eh? I'm asking cause it's on sale for $1000, which is $600 less than list.

Because of space concerns, I'm limited to 5.2.2 in my living room. The RX-V1085, RX-A1080 and MRX-720 would do nicely there.

I gotta make a decision within the next two weeks, hopefully sooner.

Yes, I agree the Aventage line is great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
91
651
2
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
That is excellent advice, thank you!

I didn't do the trade up program, dang it. I still have my 3050 and 2010 and that's probably a good thing.

What do you think of the RX-V1085? Since you're happy with the 2085, this should be pretty good eh? I'm asking cause it's on sale for $1000, which is $600 less than list.

Because of space concerns, I'm limited to 5.2.2 in my living room. The RX-V1085, RX-A1080 and MRX-720 would do nicely there.

I gotta make a decision within the next two weeks, hopefully sooner.

Yes, I agree the Aventage line is great!
I don't have direct experience with the RX-V1085 other than having owned a RX-A1010 and RX-A1030 (both of which I loved). That said, my prior experience between the 1xxx and 3xxx models is they're not drastically different in sound outside of the 1xxx series having less channels. Obviously less power too, but unless you like to listen at max volume I don't see that as a factor.

Personally I would go to a dealer and compare the RX-A1080 and one of the models above it and see what my ears say. That'd be my suggestion if you have the means in your area, especially considering my upgrade path (1030/3020 --> 2085/3080) was a longer period than yours, so I don't know if my experience might be more unique being that Yamaha has had more time to improve/refine the Aventage line between my piror models and current. In that regard, I think of the Surround:AI feature, which I really love.

But of course, there still is Anthem. I've been tempted more than once. If I did more critical listening these days with music I'd probably own one (or two ).

Last edited by red_5ive; 01-14-2020 at 06:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #23
Scarriere Scarriere is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Scarriere's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North America™
40
63
623
20
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I don't have direct experience with the RX-V1085 other than having owned a RX-A1010 and RX-A1030 (both of which I loved). That said, my prior experience between the 1xxx and 3xxx models is they're not drastically different in sound outside of the 1xxx series having less channels. Obviously less power too, but unless you like to listen at max volume I don't see that as a factor.

Personally I would go to a dealer and compare the RX-A1080 and one of the models above it and see what my ears say. That'd be my suggestion if you have the means in your area, especially considering my upgrade path (1030/3020 --> 2085/3080) was a longer period than yours, so I don't know if my experience might be more unique being that Yamaha has had more time to improve/refine the Aventage line between my piror models and current. In that regard, I think of the Surround:AI feature, which I really love.

But of course, there still is Anthem. I've been tempted more than once. If I did more critical listening these days with music I'd probably own one (or two ).
I think that I'm set on the RX-V1085. It's still a thousand bucks and is too good a deal to pass by it.
I would've prefered the RX-A2080 but I'll see how satisfied I am with the 1085.
I'm sure that if I got the Anthem 720, a month later they'd have a new model and I'd be choked.
I'll be going to my dealer this weekend. Hopefully there's nothing else that catches my eye, but you know how that goes eh? Lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #24
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
91
651
2
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I think that I'm set on the RX-V1085. It's still a thousand bucks and is too good a deal to pass by it.
I would've prefered the RX-A2080 but I'll see how satisfied I am with the 1085.
I'm sure that if I got the Anthem 720, a month later they'd have a new model and I'd be choked.
I'll be going to my dealer this weekend. Hopefully there's nothing else that catches my eye, but you know how that goes eh? Lol.
Cool man, enjoy! And yup, I know how that goes. That's why I no longer visit audio forums on a regular basis. My upgrades have decreased significantly the last so many years.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-20-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 AM.