Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
9 hrs ago
House of Psychotic Women Rarities Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.56
14 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
9 hrs ago
The Notebook (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Bones and All (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$83.50

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #1

Nov 2009
Default DTS decoding

Howdy!

So I got a low-end 5.1 receiver, but it only decodes Dolby, so any other surround format is passed through as stereo and then converted into ProLogic II. I'm looking for a Blu-ray player that decodes DTS so I can get discrete 5.1 surround. I've looked at the compare page on this site, and while a lot say they output DTS, it doesn't indicate whether they actually decode it (or would that be the same thing in this case?), and in six channels rather than two.

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles (4K, streaming, etc.; 3D would be nice for the kiddos, but it's not a deal breaker).

I'm not asking for anyone to do any legwork for me--unless you know of specific models--but rather am wondering if there is a list somewhere of models that do this, or maybe a specific thread I can look at here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 03-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #2

Sep 2020
USA

How low-end is it? Can it even do 5.1 PCM?
Old 03-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #3

Oct 2014

I'm guessing your receiver is also old enough that it doesn't have HDMI inputs. If that's the case, this complicates things a bit, because you'd need a Blu-ray player with analog multi-channel outputs, which, in my experience, are usually only found on higher-end players. In other words, it may actually be cheaper to upgrade your receiver than to get a new player.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Older SONY BD players have:

[Dolby D Compatible Output]
[On]: Converts DTS audio source to Dolby Digital audio by using EDID (Extended Display Identification Data).
[Off]: Turns off the function.

but I don't think the newest Ultra HD Blu-ray players have the option, their 4K up-scaler the BDP-S6700 does, but the UBP-X800M2 (a UHD player) doesn't. The former is 3D.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #5

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertbj View Post
I'm guessing your receiver is also old enough that it doesn't have HDMI inputs. If that's the case, this complicates things a bit, because you'd need a Blu-ray player with analog multi-channel outputs, which, in my experience, are usually only found on higher-end players. In other words, it may actually be cheaper to upgrade your receiver than to get a new player.
It's a current-model RCA; I was on a budget, so I got an inexpensive one from Home Depot (!). It has three or four HDMI inputs for passthrough, as well as optical and coaxial. It only actually recognizes the Dolby through those two, not the HDMI (it does ProLogic with that), which is a bummer because I wanted to run all my stuff through there to my projector, and now I have an extra hook-up. (That's what you get for going cheap!) The DTS, though, it doesn't decode, so I'm looking for a player that does.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3nt0n View Post
How low-end is it? Can it even do 5.1 PCM?
I don't think it decodes it, but I haven't been able to truly try. My current BDP, which is a Sony but I'm not sure what model, outputs PCM, but only in stereo. And, for whatever reason, it doesn't give me DD with my Firestick, even when that is set to Dolby or Dolby Passthrough and routed through an audio extractor via optical. (I mentioned in another response that the receiver only even gives me discrete surround Dolby through optical/coaxial, as opposed to PLII with HDMI.)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:20 PM   #7

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Older SONY BD players have:

[Dolby D Compatible Output]
[On]: Converts DTS audio source to Dolby Digital audio by using EDID (Extended Display Identification Data).
[Off]: Turns off the function.

but I don't think the newest Ultra HD Blu-ray players have the option, their 4K up-scaler the BDP-S6700 does, but the UBP-X800M2 (a UHD player) doesn't. The former is 3D.
I went ahead and ordered a BDP-S6700, so hopefully it's what I need.

Thanks, all!
Thanks given by:
chip75 (03-16-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Tags
decoder, decoding, dts, dts decoder, dts decoding