Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
14 hrs ago
Jonny Quest: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$21.25

Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mr. Robot: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96
7 hrs ago
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
5 hrs ago
The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$20.68

Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
9 hrs ago
The Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Gotham: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
7 hrs ago
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #241
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
I can think of a few:

D-Day - I think it would take a ten part series to do justice to this epic tale.
Band of Brothers didnt cover this enough for you?

I want to know whats going on with the Mighty Eighth last I had heard HBO gave 500 million for production.

I wouldn't mind seeing something on Korea or Vietnam or even Desert Storm. Qaddafi, The Cold War, Russian War in Afghanistan, any number of things
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #242

Jan 2018

God what an amazing show this was. Sure hope a good Blu comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
I want to know whats going on with the Mighty Eighth last I had heard HBO gave 500 million for production.
I often read John Orloff's twitter comments, he's one of the writers (was also on Band of Brothers). In September 2018, he said he was hoping to have an update soon. When in December someone asked what he meant by soon, he said he had no idea as it was "up to HBO" (which I hope means he'd sent them the script so they could go through it). Then in April 2019, he reiterated "news coming soon" and then followed up by saying it's out of his hands.
So, well, it sounds like it's being worked on. But it's clearly years away assuming it does happen.

Link to the Twitter thread
Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #243
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Band of Brothers didnt cover this enough for you?
I need to see that again, it's been a few years since I've seen it, it's my next box set. But as I remember, there was very little about D-Day, they parchute in & then on the Germany, fighting all the way. A series about just D-Day would start a few days before, with all the various stuff going on, then you have them going in on gliders & parachutes, the ships wouldn't arrive in Normandy until episode three or four. I've just read a great book about it (D-Day: The Soldiers Story by Giles Milton), & there's more than enough for a ten part series, & even then they'd have to leave tons out.

…& I hope I can buy a Blu-ray set of Chernobyl from somewhere.

Last edited by CinemaScope; 06-05-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:48 PM   #244
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaScope View Post
I need to see that again, it's been a few years since I've seen it, it's my next box set. But as I remember, there was very little about D-Day, they parchute in & then on the Germany, fighting all the way. A series about just D-Day would start a few days before, with all the various stuff going on, then you have them going in on gliders & parachutes, the ships wouldn't arrive in Normandy until episode three or four. I've just read a great book about it (D-Day: The Soldiers Story by Giles Milton), & there's more than enough for a ten part series, & even then they'd have to leave tons out.

…& I hope I can buy a Blu-ray set of Chernobyl from somewhere.
It covers the D day invasion there drop behind enemy lines, like the first 3-4 episodes are about them and what they did on D day and the days following, if your talking about just D-Day they spent 3 months planning it and ran a month of test operations including fake invasions in Africa and other beaches to draw the Germans away from Utah Beach.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #245

Feb 2015

Quote:
It covers the D day invasion there drop behind enemy lines, like the first 3-4 episodes are about them and what they did on D day and the days following, if your talking about just D-Day they spent 3 months planning it and ran a month of test operations including fake invasions in Africa and other beaches to draw the Germans away from Utah Beach.
You dont see the actual invasion itself, you only see the paratrooper's story that they dropped behind enemy lines. Then the following episode you see the battle of Carentan. At the end of episode 3 we leave the invasion theatre. Episode 4 is about Market Garden.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #246
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
socal

10 episodes about Dday would be a waste of production . We already have saving private Ryan,band of brothers , the pacific. Also nothing will top the opening battle scene of saving private Ryan.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #247

Jun 2015

Just a fantastic mini series from start to finish. Everything from the acting to the pacing just so spot on. I would like to see more than 5, but it seems to be a sweet spot. Wow.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM   #248

May 2009

So we need to storm the beaches of Normandy in order to get Chernobyl on Blu-Ray?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #249
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

Im in for a Hiroshima and Nagasaki Nuclear bomb Mini-Series. The days before and after. And what the japanese government did to avoid radiation or not...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #250
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosHighDef View Post
Also nothing will top the opening battle scene of saving private Ryan.
Yeah, shame about the rest of the film. But for gods sake don't get hung up on it, it was only one of three suggestions, my number pick would be a General Custer drama, but this is supposed to be a Chernobly thread. I haven't seen any of it, as I don't get Sky Atlantic in the UK. Only news of a DVD release so far, & I'm a Blu-ray snob, but I suppose if the picture's a bit gungy & desaturated, the a DVD will do in a pinch. Early days, let's see what's released in other countries.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #251
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisuperfan View Post
Why bother with something that will never happen??

We should put that in our money!!!
Here we go.

Thanks given by:
kristoffer (06-06-2019), scifisuperfan (06-06-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #252

Feb 2014
Glasgow, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutt View Post
Acorn, hmm. Looks like the UK side of the business (as it's an HBO/Sky coproduction). Still, the USA might be better off.
Please let's hope so. Shame, as Sky have the miniseries in 4K with Atmos on their SkyQ service. Really hope HBO push the boat out on this one and give it a UHD release.
Thanks given by:
thecalm_7 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #253
Expert Member

Feb 2008
great britain
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123

Spoke to acorn today , no plans for Blu Ray
Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #254
Power Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
This forum:

Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #255
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post
Sad!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 PM   #256
Special Member

Apr 2011
The Gulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean learner View Post
Please let's hope so. Shame, as Sky have the miniseries in 4K with Atmos on their SkyQ service. Really hope HBO push the boat out on this one and give it a UHD release.
Itís really a shame to not be able to enjoy the shows in their best format. I have HBO Now, it looked decent, but my ISP is a turd. Dark scenes were just blah, banding and murky, textures were lost. But itís the best I can do. As Iíve said in other posts, Iím not in the sticks, Iím 9 miles outside a metro. My cable through Spectrum is worse. Murky picture, banding, itís unwatchable. So I have to buy things in order to see them looking good.
Action looks horrid. doctor Who is blocky. The intro from the Capaldi series was so blocky it reminded me of the old capcom logo on Resident Evil 2 on PS1 when the blocks are flying inward to make the logo. If I rely on Blu-Ray discs to see things, I canít imagine how bad truly rural folks have it.
The people that are still sticking to DVD are just as troublesome as my customers who B!tch and moan about fuel injection being trouble. ĎWhy canít we just have carburetorsí

I am sorry for ranting, itís been a rough day. On to part 5 and Deadwood tonight.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 PM   #257
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
socal

dam that's a travesty not being released on blu ray.. What a waste of special effects.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #258
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014

Love every episode of this. Back up a truckload of Emmys for it.
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 AM   #259
Expert Member

Jul 2018
Wisconsin

HBO's big new show after the nuclear fallout of Game of Thrones, most buzzed and praised show as far as I can tell, and no support for Blu-ray? Absolute Nonsense, I'm extremely disappointed to hear that.
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #260
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2018

I sincerely doubt this wont get a Blu-ray release!!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows