Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
22 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
5 hrs ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
20 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Joseph: King of Dreams (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #17821
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
It doesn't matter if he does; Brad Pitt is not a scientist and he has not researched the subject. Opinions, even those of celebrities, do not override facts.
He knows his films does Brad. Just like me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #17822
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
He knows his films does Brad. Just like me.
Having film knowledge does not make one an expert on human cognition.

I can carve a mean jack-o-lantern; let me know if you ever need me to perform any surgeries. I'll cut you one helluva deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #17823
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Having film knowledge does not make one an expert on human cognition.

I can carve a mean jack-o-lantern; let me know if you ever need me to perform any surgeries. I'll cut you one helluva deal.
He has s better than most understanding of the film industry though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #17824
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
He has s better than most understanding of the film industry though.
Is anyone disputing that?

It does not mean that his concerns for the future of movies will come to pass; he himself has acknowledged as much. His speculation and contemplation are not the same things as your fear and

I am offering 50% off of all frontal lobotomies this month; act fast to reserve yours! I have a new melon baller that I want to try out.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-19-2019 at 06:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #17825
alchav21 alchav21 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
alchav21's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
ST George, Utah
1
2
2
51
Default

Hollywood starts getting Tunnel Vision and also worries about cost and profits of Movies. I guess for good reason, to make some money. What ever sells goes to the top of the list, and right now it's Super Heroes. I liked the first ones, but this over-kill is too much. Did you guys hear, the next Star Trek might be Directed by Quentin Tarantino….Make it Bloody!

Last edited by alchav21; 09-20-2019 at 03:53 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #17826
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Hollywood starts getting Tunnel Vision and also worries about cost and profits of Movies. I guess for good reason, to make some money. What ever sells goes to the top of the list, and right now it's Super Heroes. I liked the first ones, but this over-kill is too much. Did you guys hear, the next Star Trek might be Directed with Quentin Taratino….Make it Bloody!
I would love to see QT direct Trek. ‘Phasers, set to stun those *********’ !
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #17827
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

At the risk of damaging our uneasy alliance I think you (and a few others) let your fear of loss control too much of your movie viewing experience Steedeel. Not to mention let others opinions affect where you think film is headed. Take for example this whole Brad Pitt situation. Vilya posted the link about that a week or so ago and it didn’t even register with you until you read it yesterday.

Then you picked apart the interview to suit your fear of the future. Which is just bleak. Film will continue to flourish and transition as it always has. No matter how it is presented. So chill, get some snacks, pull out your newest movie and enjoy knowing you have it in the format or your choosing
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #17828
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
At the risk of damaging our uneasy alliance I think you (and a few others) let your fear of loss control too much of your movie viewing experience Steedeel. Not to mention let others opinions affect where you think film is headed. Take for example this whole Brad Pitt situation. Vilya posted the link about that a week or so ago and it didn’t even register with you until you read it yesterday.

Then you picked apart the interview to suit your fear of the future. Which is just bleak. Film will continue to flourish and transition as it always has. No matter how it is presented. So chill, get some snacks, pull out your newest movie and enjoy knowing you have it in the format or your choosing
To be fair, I did reply at the time he posted. The only reason I brought it up is that I had been reading a film magazine and the article was an interview with Brad Pitt. I posted several times a week ago.

Also, the interview (in the link I provided) matched up (in my opinion) with what I have been saying about two hour films becoming too much of a challenge for attention deficit youngsters Possibly. That is very significant and s major potential issue.

For me, it will be very telling to see the box office numbers for next year. We don’t have many Marvel films (if any) and no Star Wars. In other words, is it just superhero fanatics that are propping up the business and will it lose millions when they are not available? Its only going to be one year but it will be interesting.

I bring this up because Pitt also alluded to the huge tent pole/event movies and how the middle budget films seem to ha e been squeezed out of the picture. (No pun intended). I think that middle area is where a lot of the creative irk comes from. With a fair budget, the film makers can project their vision and back it up with a great story. The trend though, is just big big big and it doesn’t seem sustainable to me over many years.

I think Pitt also wondered if we go all out with streaming or do people still want the communal big screen as well in the future? He brought up some very good points (as I have done) but he is a mega rich film actor and I am a guy from the North East Of England lol. He won't be mocked for his comments, I will. It’s a strange world.

Last edited by Steedeel; 09-20-2019 at 10:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #17829
RefractiveIndex RefractiveIndex is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2019
England
319
752
Default

French court rules Steam games must be able to be resold

This is going to have massive ramifications for the sale of all digital goods in the EU if unsuccessfully appealed including iTunes and other EST storefronts.

If reselling digital films undercuts the studios and storefronts badly enough then we may see studios having a lot less enthusiasm for digital film sales in the future.

I know you could say the same about selling used physical media, but there is a big difference when you can dump your entire digital collection onto the marketplace with a few clicks along with the fact that digital films can often be brought very cheap or through free codes and this could devalue the sale of new purchases tremendously. Of course, this is just speculating, but this could get very interesting indeed.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
stratford (09-22-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #17830
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3566
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
French court rules Steam games must be able to be resold

This is going to have massive ramifications for the sale of all digital goods in the EU if unsuccessfully appealed including iTunes and other EST storefronts.

If reselling digital films undercuts the studios and storefronts badly enough then we may see studios having a lot less enthusiasm for digital film sales in the future.

I know you could say the same about selling used physical media, but there is a big difference when you can dump your entire digital collection onto the marketplace with a few clicks along with the fact that digital films can often be brought very cheap or through free codes and this could devalue the sale of new purchases tremendously. Of course, this is just speculating, but this could get very interesting indeed.
I don't expect the same laws to ever be enacted in the United States. But the ability to resell digital content doesn't fix the biggest issue anyway: content can be removed or modified at any time.

I won't be surprised if being able to resell content actually exacerbates things. If digital content is devalued by a "used market" then profits will drop and the studios, publishers, and stores will be even more likely to drop their old titles that aren't selling well anymore. Being able to buy "used" digital content doesn't help if official support is still needed to be able to watch that content.

No laws require that any company has to continue supporting their unprofitable products forever (nor should they). That's why my stance has been very firm: I don't think that any company should have to continue providing support for any of their products that are no longer selling but I won't buy anything that requires continued support to function either. For the foreseeable future only physical media can fulfill that requirement.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
stratford (09-22-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #17831
RefractiveIndex RefractiveIndex is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2019
England
319
752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
I don't expect the same laws to ever be enacted in the United States. But the ability to resell digital content doesn't fix the biggest issue anyway: content can be removed or modified at any time.
That's right. The Paris courts are ruling that it's illegal to stop the resale of licenses, the usual downsides to "buying" digital still apply regardless of the license being passed from another user or brought from the storefront vendor.

You're likely correct about the legal situation in the US, but some digital storefronts like Steam may find it difficult to run different sale systems in multiple markets and may end up rolling out changes to everyone as they did with refunds. Whatever they do it will complicate things tremendously and change the digital landscape forever. We will probably see a huge push towards subscription services and move away from digital sales altogether, especially for films and tv sales.

Quote:
I won't be surprised if being able to resell content actually exacerbates things. If digital content is devalued by a "used market" then profits will drop and the studios, publishers, and stores will be even more likely to drop their old titles that aren't selling well anymore. Being able to buy "used" digital content doesn't help if official support is still needed to be able to watch that content.
I think we'll see the price of digital new releases being jacked up to compensate for the loss of future used sales. This could be a boon to physical media because there's a lot of people who buy digital new release films only because the new release prices are cheaper. Take away the price advantage and buying physical media is going to look a lot more attractive again for the budget-minded folk.

As far as homes sales of films are concerned it would amusing to see the big studios suddenly get cozy with physical media again. Maybe we'll see studios releasing new films on physical first instead of digital to discourage people from buying digital. Perhaps the end of digital codes as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #17832
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
To be fair, I did reply at the time he posted. The only reason I brought it up is that I had been reading a film magazine and the article was an interview with Brad Pitt. I posted several times a week ago.

Also, the interview (in the link I provided) matched up (in my opinion) with what I have been saying about two hour films becoming too much of a challenge for attention deficit youngsters Possibly. That is very significant and s major potential issue.

For me, it will be very telling to see the box office numbers for next year. We don’t have many Marvel films (if any) and no Star Wars. In other words, is it just superhero fanatics that are propping up the business and will it lose millions when they are not available? Its only going to be one year but it will be interesting.

I bring this up because Pitt also alluded to the huge tent pole/event movies and how the middle budget films seem to ha e been squeezed out of the picture. (No pun intended). I think that middle area is where a lot of the creative irk comes from. With a fair budget, the film makers can project their vision and back it up with a great story. The trend though, is just big big big and it doesn’t seem sustainable to me over many years.

I think Pitt also wondered if we go all out with streaming or do people still want the communal big screen as well in the future? He brought up some very good points (as I have done) but he is a mega rich film actor and I am a guy from the North East Of England lol. He won't be mocked for his comments, I will. It’s a strange world.
The attention spans of youngsters are just fine; human attention spans have been proven to be unchanged, to even slightly improved, by scientists across the world despite the obstinate insistence otherwise by recalcitrant crackpots like yourself. You have the incredible hubris to repeatedly say that the global scientific community is absolutely wrong and that you, with no qualifications whatsoever, know better. This is one of the reasons why you get mocked; because you ignore proven facts unless they suit your "all is lost" paranoia.

You routinely criticize millenials and worse you pretend to be qualified to diagnose their cognitive function when all they are guilty of is enjoying their phones more than you do. You seem to think that every time a millenial watches a vertically framed short subject on their phone, a movie production gets scrapped. The irony is that you are blaming millenials for killing movies when they are a major demographic attending the cinema.

Spending on home video entertainment has been increasing for years and box office receipts have been growing right along with them. It won't matter what next year's box office receipts show because you will twist the results to fit your apocalyptic vision regardless as you have with all of the preceding year's results. If box office receipts are up next year, you will say it is their "last gasp" before the inevitable plunge. If they drop any amount at all, it will be the falling pebble that heralds the annihilating avalanche. Either outcome will "prove" your feverish nightmares. With you, all roads lead inexorably to hell.

Brad Pitt's musings are entirely unlike your "everything is doomed" rants. He thinks the way that movies are being made and delivered are changing; you think they are in mortal danger. Brad Pitt also admits that he could be wrong about his concerns whereas you can not even imagine being wrong. In short, Brad Pitt is being rational while you are being entirely irrational. You're dead certain that we are all hopelessly screwed and believe that we should all spend every waking moment dreading tomorrow. You go ahead and be a little frightened bunny; the rest of us have much better things to do.

It is not just your baseless fear for the future of movies that causes you to be ridiculed, but it is the context of that fear among all of your other ludicrous worries that make you a comedic punching bag. You predict the end of damn near everything from movies to TVs themselves along with the creation of imaginary taxes that penalize us for sitting too long. You vilify everyone from millenials to vegans in bringing this unavoidable disaster upon us. These are some of the many reasons why you get laughed at far and wide.

You even predicted that I would abandon physical media because I redeemed a few digital codes- codes that came with my disc purchases. When I rented a movie from Vudu, you said the same thing, that I would no longer buy discs, even though I then bought that very movie on 4K disc. Since that rental I have bought more than 300 discs. This alone proves that you can't predict sh*t.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-20-2019 at 04:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #17833
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
French court rules Steam games must be able to be resold

This is going to have massive ramifications for the sale of all digital goods in the EU if unsuccessfully appealed including iTunes and other EST storefronts.

If reselling digital films undercuts the studios and storefronts badly enough then we may see studios having a lot less enthusiasm for digital film sales in the future.

I know you could say the same about selling used physical media, but there is a big difference when you can dump your entire digital collection onto the marketplace with a few clicks along with the fact that digital films can often be brought very cheap or through free codes and this could devalue the sale of new purchases tremendously. Of course, this is just speculating, but this could get very interesting indeed.
I find this news to be greatly amusing. I would like to see this decision upheld and expanded to include all digital content and for it to become the law globally. I feel that purchases should include the right to resell the item.

It will be fun to see if this court decision has any legs and where it goes with them or whether an appellate court cuts this decision off at the knees.

Last edited by Vilya; 09-20-2019 at 03:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #17834
RefractiveIndex RefractiveIndex is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2019
England
319
752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I find this news to be greatly amusing. I would like to see this decision upheld and expanded to include all digital content and for it to become the law globally. I feel that purchases should include the right to resell the item.

It will be fun to see if this court decision has any legs and where it goes with them or whether an appellate court cuts this decision off at the knees.
Valve: "a sale is actually a 'subscription' to a product".
Paris High Court: "nope".
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #17835
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

Ever since Star Wars came out there has been a summer blockbuster that’s taken its place. So I think the box office is going to be just fine without them
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #17836
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel
259
4210
3692
823
3
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
Valve: "a sale is actually a 'subscription' to a product".
Paris High Court: "nope".
If it is a subscription or a lease, then it should be clearly labelled as such and it should include the length of time that it lasts.

Purchase implies ownership and ownership allows the buyer to dispose of that purchase by reselling it if they so choose. I hope the decision sticks if for no other reason than to see digital content providers squirm a little; it would establish a precedent that could spread to all digital content and beyond France.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #17837
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Ever since Star Wars came out there has been a summer blockbuster that’s taken its place. So I think the box office is going to be just fine without them
The point is, the biggest earners by far were all Marvel. Feel free to bookmark this post, I know I am.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #17838
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
The attention spans of youngsters are just fine; human attention spans have been proven to be unchanged, to even slightly improved, by scientists across the world despite the obstinate insistence otherwise by recalcitrant crackpots like yourself. You have the incredible hubris to repeatedly say that the global scientific community is absolutely wrong and that you, with no qualifications whatsoever, know better. This is one of the reasons why you get mocked; because you ignore proven facts unless they suit your "all is lost" paranoia.

You routinely criticize millenials and worse you pretend to be qualified to diagnose their cognitive function when all they are guilty of is enjoying their phones more than you do. You seem to think that every time a millenial watches a vertically framed short subject on their phone, a movie production gets scrapped. The irony is that you are blaming millenials for killing movies when they are a major demographic attending the cinema.

Spending on home video entertainment has been increasing for years and box office receipts have been growing right along with them. It won't matter what next year's box office receipts show because you will twist the results to fit your apocalyptic vision regardless as you have with all of the preceding year's results. If box office receipts are up next year, you will say it is their "last gasp" before the inevitable plunge. If they drop any amount at all, it will be the falling pebble that heralds the annihilating avalanche. Either outcome will "prove" your feverish nightmares. With you, all roads lead inexorably to hell.

Brad Pitt's musings are entirely unlike your "everything is doomed" rants. He thinks the way that movies are being made and delivered are changing; you think they are in mortal danger. Brad Pitt also admits that he could be wrong about his concerns whereas you can not even imagine being wrong. In short, Brad Pitt is being rational while you are being entirely irrational. You're dead certain that we are all hopelessly screwed and believe that we should all spend every waking moment dreading tomorrow. You go ahead and be a little frightened bunny; the rest of us have much better things to do.

It is not just your baseless fear for the future of movies that causes you to be ridiculed, but it is the context of that fear among all of your other ludicrous worries that make you a comedic punching bag. You predict the end of damn near everything from movies to TVs themselves along with the creation of imaginary taxes that penalize us for sitting too long. You vilify everyone from millenials to vegans in bringing this unavoidable disaster upon us. These are some of the many reasons why you get laughed at far and wide.

You even predicted that I would abandon physical media because I redeemed a few digital codes- codes that came with my disc purchases. When I rented a movie from Vudu, you said the same thing, that I would no longer buy discs, even though I then bought that very movie on 4K disc. Since that rental I have bought more than 300 discs. This alone proves that you can't predict sh*t.
Brad Pitt is concerned that movies won’t survive. He said that in one of his most recent interviews. He believes they may have simply ‘run their course’.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #17839
PenguinInfinity PenguinInfinity is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Apr 2017
540
3566
720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Brad Pitt is concerned that movies won’t survive. He said that in one of his most recent interviews. He believes they may have simply ‘run their course’.
Then I guess Brad Pitt is stupid too. Is that the response you were looking for?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #17840
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
47
623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Then I guess Brad Pitt is stupid too. Is that the response you were looking for?
No, his concerns are genuine and intelligent. Like mine.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 PM.