Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
3 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36
5 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Parasite (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Casino Royale 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Skyfall 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$20.68
 
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Roma (Blu-ray)
$22.89
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #7841
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
2
2227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Why are you bringing VR into this? I love VR. Itís a tech that allows me to watch content on a huge screen. I own a headset and I know how fantastic and immersive this tech is. However, I have been around long enough to know that exciting tech doesnít always go mainstream.
So what are you saying? That your portable device of choice won't kill TVs and projectors because you're the only one using it?

But isn't that how it always starts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Phones ARE mainstream and the point you guys are missing is the article stated young people are watching the sport on mobile as their ONLY access. Not casting, not some tv watching but mostly mobile, mobile ALONE.
I'm skeptical of that data point. It's hard to imagine an NBA fan (or a fan of any sport, really) who doesn't watch any games on large screens somewhere. And even if there's some basis for it, what's the big deal?

As I think I've mentioned, my first several TVs were smaller than many laptops (and not much bigger than a lot of tablets). Owning portable TVs when we were younger didn't keep any of us from buying real TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
By the way, Iím not sure you understand what VR is. Itís the complete opposite of mobile phones. Itís immersive, it has 3D 360 video and 3D spatial audio. You can watch a 200 inch 3D Blu-ray or regular Blu-ray through it. You can experience immersive theatre through it, you can play in any scenario the developers dream up. Itís still a big screen experience. Developers are working on 4K and 8K screens also.
So watching movies on a portable device is okay as long as it's an experience you enjoy?

Interesting.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #7842
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
So what are you saying? That your portable device of choice won't kill TVs and projectors because you're the only one using it?

But isn't that how it always starts?



I'm skeptical of that data point. It's hard to imagine an NBA fan (or a fan of any sport, really) who doesn't watch any games on large screens somewhere. And even if there's some basis for it, what's the big deal?

As I think I've mentioned, my first several TVs were smaller than many laptops (and not much bigger than a lot of tablets). Owning portable TVs when we were younger didn't keep any of us from buying real TVs.



So watching movies on a portable device is okay as long as it's an experience you enjoy?

Interesting.
It’s not a portable device. It’s attached to a PS4. It also needs a camera which is placed above or below a tv. The tv can be used for local multiplayer with other people watching the tv screen and one person viewing in VR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #7843
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
So what are you saying? That your portable device of choice won't kill TVs and projectors because you're the only one using it?

But isn't that how it always starts?



I'm skeptical of that data point. It's hard to imagine an NBA fan (or a fan of any sport, really) who doesn't watch any games on large screens somewhere. And even if there's some basis for it, what's the big deal?

As I think I've mentioned, my first several TVs were smaller than many laptops (and not much bigger than a lot of tablets). Owning portable TVs when we were younger didn't keep any of us from buying real TVs.



So watching movies on a portable device is okay as long as it's an experience you enjoy?

Interesting.
Your argument is a silly one. Fold up or roll up future tv screens would be portable but they would still serve their purpose. The same would be true of VR screens that get much lighter and smaller. That is a different world compared to being restricted to a 4 or 5 inch screen for content. A world apart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #7844
Vilya Vilya is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
End of the line
174
3947
3675
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I see it differently. Maybe it depends how old you are? If someone is in their 60’s they aren’t going to worry about it as much as someone in their 40’s who is more likely to be affected by it. It would absolutely devastate me as I have loved film from the age of 5.
I know you see it differently and I would even say your view is unique as you alone see it this way. I do not know of anyone at any age who shares your fear for the fate of the T.V. The sales data shows that TVs are doing just fine.

The transitory viewing habits of nomadic teenagers is of no concern. Their behavior will change as they mature just as mine did and just as yours did. When they get their first home, they will mount a TV on the wall of their living room just like virtually everyone else.

Here is a little anecdote for your fear: My neighbors, both in their mid twenties, with 2 kids, own a late model big screen TV. The husband is an Apple iPhone tech who works from home answering customer tech questions and his wife is a graduate student at the local university. Their iPhones are not just a part of their lives, but it is how the husband earns a living. Yet, they own a big screen TV...just like every single family I know spanning every age group up and down my block.

I would dismiss this fear you have; it has no basis in reality. There is nothing to suggest that TV sales are faltering. It is not happening.


If it will help, I will consult my Magic 8 Ball for you, too. I will even let you phrase the question and then I will ask it exactly that.

Now go and enjoy your Easter holiday and try to relax. Remember, though, when eating a chocolate bunny to start with the ears first.

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (04-01-2018), Steedeel (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #7845
master gandhi master gandhi is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
master gandhi's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
United States
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Itís not a portable device. Itís attached to a PS4. It also needs a camera which is placed above or below a tv. The tv can be used for local multiplayer with other people watching the tv screen and one person viewing in VR.
They actually make VR for you to pop your phone into, like Samsungís Gear VR. You snap your Galaxy phone into the viewfinder and it becomes a VR headset. Boom, thatís mobile VR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #7846
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
They actually make VR for you to pop your phone into, like Samsungís Gear VR. You snap your Galaxy phone into the viewfinder and it becomes a VR headset. Boom, thatís mobile VR.
Yes but we werenít talking about that. I was referring to my specific headset which Octagon pointed to in his post. The VR you describe is VR lite basically.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #7847
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
2
2227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Your argument is a silly one. Fold up or roll up future tv screens would be portable but they would still serve their purpose. The same would be true of VR screens that get much lighter and smaller.
That sounds pretty awesome. It also sounds like you can't really lose moving forward.

If we're all right and TVs and projection screens just keep getting bigger and better and cheaper then everybody wins.

If you're right and these damn kids today with their smart phones and smart watches and digital this and digital that kill off TVs and projectors all you'll have to do is slip on a pair of smart goggles and you're still good to go with an immersive big screen experience.

Sounds like a real win/win.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #7848
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
That sounds pretty awesome. It also sounds like you can't really lose moving forward.

If we're all right and TVs and projection screens just keep getting bigger and better and cheaper then everybody wins.

If you're right and these damn kids today with their smart phones and smart watches and digital this and digital that kill off TVs and projectors all you'll have to do is slip on a pair of smart goggles and you're still good to go with an immersive big screen experience.

Sounds like a real win/win.
Given how 3D went, I’m not holding my breath that VR makes it mainstream. It’s awesome tech and I absolutely love it but let’s see. It’s more likely AR will take off because it’s on smartphones and it’s not immersive. I have very little interest in it so sure enough, it will be a gigantic success.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #7849
octagon octagon is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
2
2227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Given how 3D went, Iím not holding my breath that VR makes it mainstream. Itís awesome tech and I absolutely love it but letís see.
But it doesn't have to go mainstream. As long as engineers keep working on it and you can still buy it an immersive big screen experience will always be at your fingertips.

Cheer up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #7850
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
But it doesn't have to go mainstream. As long as engineers keep working on it and you can still buy it an immersive big screen experience will always be at your fingertips.

Cheer up!
Something like VR does need to go mainstream..........eventually!
Those developers have to make money from games after all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #7851
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
200
1578
1519
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Something like VR does need to go mainstream
You do realize that even though VR might be simulating a larger screen experience, it is still technically a rather small screen that you are looking at, right?

While it may give a superior experience compared to phones and tablets, it's still otherwise roughly within that size range.

For someone who keeps toting on about being afraid of big screens going away and people opting for smaller, individualized options instead, this is a somewhat contradictory position to take.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #7852
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
You do realize that even though VR might be simulating a larger screen experience, it is still technically a rather small screen that you are looking at, right?

While it may give a superior experience compared to phones and tablets, it's still otherwise roughly within that size range.

For someone who keeps toting on about being afraid of big screens going away and people opting for smaller, individualized options instead, this is a somewhat contradictory position to take.
Not at all. I can enjoy a film on a 200 inch screen with my headset. I can’t do that with a mobile phone. The technology is completely different despite the OLED screens like you say, being small. I can be in an immersive environment with 3D spatial sound as well as vision. It’s a completely different tech and you guys know it is. You are RESTRICTED to a 5 or at most 6 inch screen with mobile. It doesn’t matter how you get to the screen size, point is you have that huge screen. You can soak up the atmosphere and be completely immersed. Cinematography can be appreciated as it should be also. The screens will only get better and despite people saying we don’t need 8K, the truth is we really do. Especially where VR is concerned.

As for the mobile VR with phone slot solution, that is a stop gap and the industry is starting to move away from that with cheaper standalone units.

Anyway, don’t fret, it won’t become mainstream. Why would it when I love the tech?

I don’t get this argument at all. When film rather than digital was projected in the cinemas the image still Came From a smaller device that projected the image onto a screen. How is this different?
When I use the headset, I put it over my head. I don’t stare at the screens as you can’t see anything unless you put it on.

You guys are diverting the argument away from my fear. Big screens going away. Is a projected image not a screen? Is a VR lens not a big screen image when watching a film.


My projector and tv will always be the preferred viewing option for me though. Anything involving having to wear glasses or headsets will only ever be for a niche audience.

Last edited by Steedeel; 04-02-2018 at 12:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #7853
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
200
1578
1519
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Not at all. I can enjoy a film on a 200 inch screen with my headset. I can’t do that with a mobile phone. The technology is completely different despite the OLED screens like you say, being small. I can be in an immersive environment with 3D spatial sound as well as vision. It’s a completely different tech and you guys know it is.
I fully understand the difference. My point is that it may be simulating a 200 inch screen, but that doesn't mean that it is one. And while still different than true VR, some would argue that those cardboard headset things that people can put their phones on to immerse them in the movie are at least somewhat similar in that regard. But I don't think you would support that.

I'm just saying that it's a slippery slope of justification, and you've already gone off the deep-end in many respects on the slippery slopes that you feel modern portable technology will lead to.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
octagon (04-02-2018), Steedeel (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #7854
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I fully understand the difference. My point is that it may be simulating a 200 inch screen, but that doesn't mean that it is one. And while still different than true VR, some would argue that those cardboard headset things that people can put their phones on to immerse them in the movie are at least somewhat similar in that regard. But I don't think you would support that.

I'm just saying that it's a slippery slope of justification, and you've already gone off the deep-end in many respects on the slippery slopes that you feel modern portable technology will lead to.
I still believe that. I know no one else does but should I change my opinion to suit others?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #7855
veritas veritas is online now
Power Member
 
Dec 2015
28
644
5
Default

I don't see vr catching on it has all the same problems 3d had only multiplied by 10. You cant demo it in a store without making people wear some weird headgear. People don't want to where glasses how in the world do you talk them into a full headset. It doesn't have any fad level exposure for advertising (no avatar omg you gotta see this).

3d was basically the gate way to vr and the people rejected 3d. If they wanted to sell vr they should have never pulled the plug on 3d.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #7856
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas View Post
I don't see vr catching on it has all the same problems 3d had only multiplied by 10. You cant demo it in a store without making people wear some weird headgear. People don't want to where glasses how in the world do you talk them into a full headset. It doesn't have any fad level exposure for advertising (no avatar omg you gotta see this).

3d was basically the gate way to vr and the people rejected 3d. If they wanted to sell vr they should have never pulled the plug on 3d.
Gamers will be a market, there is nothing quite like VR. Itís one of those tech things that needs to be tried. Sony will shift 5 million before they year is out I believe. I think they have probably done 3 million at this point but they have a very good price point now so I can see them shifting another 2 million. There are some very talented people working on VR so Iím hopeful at least for the next few years. The software has made them a lot of money I read. Something like 500 million as of last year. VR is very different to 3D by the way. Very different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #7857
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
200
1578
1519
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I still believe that. I know no one else does but should I change my opinion to suit others?
I'm not saying that you should or have to change your opinions. I'm just saying that arguably, from a certain point of view, there is at least a semi-contradiction there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #7858
Ender14 Ender14 is offline
Active Member
 
Ender14's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Georgia
76
460
234
169
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Not at all. I can enjoy a film on a 200 inch screen with my headset. I can’t do that with a mobile phone. The technology is completely different despite the OLED screens like you say, being small. I can be in an immersive environment with 3D spatial sound as well as vision.
I bought a PSVR about a month ago and ended up returning it. I enjoyed the games I tried, but the main thing I was excited about was getting an IMAX style movie experience. I love 3D movies and was really hoping watching them in VR would be amazing.

Unfortunately, the resolution is so low the picture was almost unwatchable for me. I put in Doctor Strange, which is a very nice 3D experience. But the screen door effect combined with the low resolution made it a poor visual experience. Tons of jaggies and noise across the image. I was very disappointed.

I still like VR and hope it takes off, but I will wait until the technology is perfected a little more before I jump back in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #7859
KraziJoe KraziJoe is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2018
4
7
1
21
Default

Ready Player One, here we come!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #7860
Steedeel Steedeel is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
17
562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
I bought a PSVR about a month ago and ended up returning it. I enjoyed the games I tried, but the main thing I was excited about was getting an IMAX style movie experience. I love 3D movies and was really hoping watching them in VR would be amazing.

Unfortunately, the resolution is so low the picture was almost unwatchable for me. I put in Doctor Strange, which is a very nice 3D experience. But the screen door effect combined with the low resolution made it a poor visual experience. Tons of jaggies and noise across the image. I was very disappointed.

I still like VR and hope it takes off, but I will wait until the technology is perfected a little more before I jump back in.
I can’t think of a reason why you would see jaggies. I certainly haven’t. The resolution is full HD, it’s just that the image is going to be blown up somewhat. That’s where you are seeing the slight fuzziness. It was never going to be a Imax experience. Don’t know who told you that?
Certainly, the picture quality is very obviously HD.

4K screens are coming and there are some very interesting developments picture wise. I expect a vast improvement in the next gen headsets. For a first gen headset, it’s a absolute bargain at £249. Best money I have ever spent outside of my HT. I would have paid that for the terrifying Resident Evil alone.

I think we should be seeing super sharp images within the next couple of years.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:28 PM.