Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Wind Rises (Blu-ray)
$14.96
2 hrs ago
Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 03 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Promare (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations: Set 02 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fire Force: Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Fruits Basket: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season One (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Galaxy Express 999 TV Set 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.79
6 hrs ago
Harukana Receive: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$33.19

Mob Psycho 100 II (Blu-ray)
$71.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-07-2018, 03:00 AM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013
Default Viz releasing Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Viz Media will be releasing Boruto: Naruto Next Generations on Blu-ray and DVD beginning in April 2019

Set 1:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NBF1RZ8
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NBCSTRK/

Last edited by InuYashaCrusade; 02-07-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:03 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
"Boruto: Naruto Next Generations comes to home video Spring 2019."

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1048600295390019585

No specification on Blu-ray/DVD combo but I assume it would be. It has been bad enough that Shippuden is DVD only, Viz can't pull the same stunt with Boruto.
They can as there is no Blu-ray release in Japan.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
They can as there is no Blu-ray release in Japan.
It airs in HD on Toonami, same with Shippuden. I mean, it is upscaled and all but couldn't they figure something out?
Old 10-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
It airs in HD on Toonami, same with Shippuden. I mean, it is upscaled and all but couldn't they figure something out?
Not if Japan says no. Risk of reverse importing is a huge concern
Old 10-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
Not if Japan says no. Risk of reverse importing is a huge concern
True and Boruto is still new. With something like Bleach it is old and they probably don't care. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Boruto is an HD native production. 810p to be precise, so it’s higher than the common 720p and would be perfect for Blu-ray even if it were 720. MPEG-2 on DVD with 8.5 GB can only do so much.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #7

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

.......& here I am waiting for Naruto to come out on Bluray haha....

Great for Boruto fans, but I'll be skipping this since I haven't even bought any Naruto yet
Old 10-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

With Naruto, it’s a double edged sword. The original series is in SD quality, so they have a few options:

1. Do their own upscale. It may be poor, but it’ll be 4:3 and on Blu-ray. If it’s Sailor Moon quality, then avoid at all costs.

2. Use the “HD remaster”. It’s an upscale used in Japanese TV broadcasts in 16:9. The cropping isn’t terrible, but it’s not good either- and purists like me want it in 4:3, so this isn’t an optimal choice. Toei did a similar thing with One Piece, albeit slightly better quality than the Naruto one.

3. Do it in SD-BD. That way it’s 4:3 and no bad upscale like Sailor Moon. If they re-use the DVD encodes at a low Bitrate MPEG-2, also avoid.

Unless someone like Justin Sevakis does an upscale, it’ll probably look poor. But Justin won’t, because he had a bad experience with Viz (One Punch Man- he got fired for some differences), an because it’s a damn long anime. Counting the parts of Shippuden in SD, it’s probably 300+ Episodes to upscale.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Japan doesn’t have any BD of Naruto outside of the movies, and while Germany has it in BD- the SD parts are SD-BD and are apparently worse looking than their DVD release. Tye HD portions of Shippuden are in 1080p on the BDs, and are decently encoded from what I’ve heard/seen.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:42 AM   #10

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
With Naruto, it’s a double edged sword. The original series is in SD quality, so they have a few options:

1. Do their own upscale. It may be poor, but it’ll be 4:3 and on Blu-ray. If it’s Sailor Moon quality, then avoid at all costs.

2. Use the “HD remaster”. It’s an upscale used in Japanese TV broadcasts in 16:9. The cropping isn’t terrible, but it’s not good either- and purists like me want it in 4:3, so this isn’t an optimal choice. Toei did a similar thing with One Piece, albeit slightly better quality than the Naruto one.

3. Do it in SD-BD. That way it’s 4:3 and no bad upscale like Sailor Moon. If they re-use the DVD encodes at a low Bitrate MPEG-2, also avoid.

Unless someone like Justin Sevakis does an upscale, it’ll probably look poor. But Justin won’t, because he had a bad experience with Viz (One Punch Man- he got fired for some differences), an because it’s a damn long anime. Counting the parts of Shippuden in SD, it’s probably 300+ Episodes to upscale.
If it did it like they are doing for Bleach I'd be happy so I'm hoping for #1 haha
Old 10-08-2018, 02:54 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuukaa_Sa View Post
If it did it like they are doing for Bleach I'd be happy so I'm hoping for #1 haha
Bleach on Blu-ray looks solid, no complaints from me. I'm either going to re-read the original Naruto manga or rewatch the anime. I've been trying to be patient in the hopes that Viz will announce a Blu-ray release or else I'll cave and watch it on Netflix. Maybe we'll get an announcement before 2025, this is Viz we're talking about here. I love them but I wish they'd learn to hurry it up with the releases.
Thanks given by:
Yuukaa_Sa (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM   #12

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Quote:
Bleach on Blu-ray looks solid, no complaints from me. I'm either going to re-read the original Naruto manga or rewatch the anime. I've been trying to be patient in the hopes that Viz will announce a Blu-ray release or else I'll cave and watch it on Netflix. Maybe we'll get an announcement before 2025, this is Viz we're talking about here. I love them but I wish they'd learn to hurry it up with the releases.
haha yep!
I actually held by from buying the DVDs or watching it since I prefer to watch Anime that i actually buy hoping for them to do a Bluray re-release in the future

But yeah, they are super slow with releases. I guess the positive is that it's good for our wallets haha
Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

The second to last set of Shippuden will be released on 3/26, putting the final set around a July release. We'll probably see Boruto get a release around September or October at this rate. This will put a year between the Toonami airing and a physical release, could be possible we'll get larger sets like Hunter X Hunter.

Viz could also release Boruto alongside Shippuden during this final six month stretch but I doubt it.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 AM   #14

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Must be exciting times for those who collected all the DVDs.

Now I'm hoping after the final release were hear some news on a Bluray release
Thanks given by:
zenpai (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuukaa_Sa View Post
Must be exciting times for those who collected all the DVDs.

Now I'm hoping after the final release were hear some news on a Bluray release
I'm buying the final 2 Shippuden sets because I never got to see the ending to the anime. I dropped Shippuden sometime around summer of 2014, there was too many fillers.

I've got no hope for Shippuden or anything else on Blu-ray from Viz after what has happened with Bleach.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #16

Aug 2018
Canada, Ontario

Quote:
I'm buying the final 2 Shippuden sets because I never got to see the ending to the anime. I dropped Shippuden sometime around summer of 2014, there was too many fillers.

I've got no hope for Shippuden or anything else on Blu-ray from Viz after what has happened with Bleach.
I would buy the DVDs, but since I have none, it would be way too expensive and there is always the risk of a cheaper set to come out in the future with more episodes so will wait for that. However still have hopes for a Bluray since I'm assuming Naruto has more fans than Bleach?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Well, it’s out on Blu-ray in France, and reviewer ViCklatereur says it isn’t that good... oof.

Quote:
Demain 17h sur la chaîne YouTube y aura la #review du coffret de #BORUTO en blu-ray ! Préparez-vous à pas mal d'élément de language technique. Ça fera chier les plus néophyte, je sais. Mais c'est nécessaire. Y aura pas le tchat pendant la diffusion en direct car pas de pc et : 😷

Automated translation: Tomorrow 5pm on the YouTube channel will be the #review box of #BORUTO Blu-ray! Get ready for a lot of technical language element. It'll piss off the most neophytes, I know. But it is necessary. There will be no chat during the live broadcast because no PC and: 😷
Source

I said I count wait to see, as it’s the first BD release of it in the world, but he was blunt;

Quote:
okay so no spoilers, but this blu-ray edition won't be without its detractors. You'll see what I mean in the review, but it's really not very good
As always, his videos are great so it’ll be fun to check it out tomorrow and see how bad it really is.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

What is the likelihood that the Viz release is crap quality too? Providing we actually get a Blu-ray release over here.

I'm still really unsure if I'm going to buy Boruto. I want to but I'm not sure I care enough to start buying another long running series like this. If Viz starts off with sets similar to Hunter X Hunter in episode count then I'll probably buy at least the first couple of sets and see how I feel about Boruto after that.

I'd even be cool buying DVD releases for it if they were close to $19.99 or $24.99 at Walmart. I paid $19.96 for Shippuden Set 36 at Walmart and was very pleased with that price, it's perfect pricing for 13 episodes. My Blu-ray player upscales DVD quality so well that I had no issues with it.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

The Kana French release is 1080/50i. Yeah. 25 fps.

That’s a problem pretty much exclusive to Europe, but it’s possible Viz might screw it up.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

IT'S HAPPENING
Thanks given by:
zenpai (02-07-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime