Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Mob Psycho 100 II (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Promare (Blu-ray)
$18.96

Black Clover Season 2, Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$41.49

Mob Psycho 100 II (Blu-ray)
$71.99

Fire Force: Season 1, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Demon Lord, Retry!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.99

Black Clover Season 2, Part 5 (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season One (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Tenchi Muyo!: OVA Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.84

Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$16.73
16 hrs ago
Digimon Adventure tri.: Future (Blu-ray)
$5.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 12-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #381
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

The year is over and we still don't have any details on the upcoming 2020 movie, which is unusual. Joe Merrick (Serebii) said that we usually get info in early December of each year.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #382
Special Member

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
The year is over and we still don't have any details on the upcoming 2020 movie, which is unusual. Joe Merrick (Serebii) said that we usually get info in early December of each year.
Last year we got a trailer for the Mewtwo remake on New Year's Eve, which was barely a glimpse of it. Nothing substantial showed up until February, which I'm betting will be the case for the 2020 movie.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #383

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
I finally managed to get the widescreen DVD release of Pokemon 4Ever from Canada, the movie is in widescreen, but the Pikachu short (Pikachu's PikaBoo) is still cropped to 4:3. So might as well get the barebone release of Pokemon 4Ever on Blu-ray.

Looks like the English version Pikachu's PikaBoo has not been released in widescreen on Blu-ray or DVD anywhere worldwide.
Do we know that it's natively 16:9 though? I can't see why the short would be cropped if the DVD includes the main feature in 16:9. I have never seen it though, so I cannot make any judgement as I am unfamiliar with the framing of the short.

The reason why I raise this is because the Australian Blu-ray of Pikachu's Vacation is 4:3 while Pikachu's Rescue Adventure and Pikachu & Pichu are presented in 1.85:1. Based on the framing of Pikachu's Vacation (especially the transitions throughout), I have no reason to suspect that it was cropped from a wider aspect ratio, though I would be curious about any evidence to the contrary.

The Blu-ray also appears to be culled from film, so I see no reason why they would go through the trouble and expense of rescanning the films only to crop them.

Unfortunately, the Miramax reprints of 4Ever and Heroes on DVD are completely butchered here. 4Ever is presented in 16:9, but the encode is flagged as 4:3, and Heroes indicates 16:9 on the packaging, but the film is the cropped 4:3 version. They only cost me about AU$4.50 or so each, so I didn't think to return them, but both releases are a joke when they could have just reprinted the Buena Vista (?) discs with the Pikachu shorts, supplementary materials (and correct aspect ratio) intact.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #384

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyG View Post
Unfortunately, the Miramax reprints of 4Ever and Heroes on DVD are completely butchered here. 4Ever is presented in 16:9, but the encode is flagged as 4:3, and Heroes indicates 16:9 on the packaging, but the film is the cropped 4:3 version. They only cost me about AU$4.50 or so each, so I didn't think to return them, but both releases are a joke when they could have just reprinted the Buena Vista (?) discs with the Pikachu shorts, supplementary materials (and correct aspect ratio) intact.
What do you mean "flagged as 4:3"? Is it non-anamorphic?
Old 01-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #385

Aug 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Quote:
Do we know that it's natively 16:9 though? I can't see why the short would be cropped if the DVD includes the main feature in 16:9. I have never seen it though, so I cannot make any judgement as I am unfamiliar with the framing of the short.
Yes, the widescreen version of Pikachu's Pikaboo can be found online.

Quote:
The reason why I raise this is because the Australian Blu-ray of Pikachu's Vacation is 4:3 while Pikachu's Rescue Adventure and Pikachu & Pichu are presented in 1.85:1. Based on the framing of Pikachu's Vacation (especially the transitions throughout), I have no reason to suspect that it was cropped from a wider aspect ratio, though I would be curious about any evidence to the contrary.
Pikachu's Vacation was the only theatrical Pikachu short that was produced for 4:3, all the other were produced for widescreen.
Thanks given by:
SillyG (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #386

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaun6899 View Post
What do you mean "flagged as 4:3"? Is it non-anamorphic?
No. It's a 16:9 image flagged as 4:3, so the aspect ratio needs to be corrected manually via the TV/software/disc player. Basically, it's an anamorphic 16:9 image that has been incorrectly encoded as 4:3 (it otherwise looks fine when corrected), as opposed to a 16:9 image in a 4:3 frame (with imposed black bars at the top and bottom).

At least that's how the video appeared when I ripped it. Of all the Pokémon DVDs in my possession, this is the only disc to have had this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
Pikachu's Vacation was the only theatrical Pikachu short that was produced for 4:3, all the other were produced for widescreen.
Thanks for clarifying. That's a pretty stupid discrepancy regarding the original 4Ever DVDs though.
Thanks given by:
akaun6899 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #387

Nov 2018

Wouldn't be surprised if the deal 4Kids made with Miramax regarding Movies 4-7 contributed to TPCi's decision to go in-house. We're coming on 15 years since Movie 7 premiered on televsion and it doesn't seem like TPCi has regained control over the movies. They excluded them from the movie encyclopedia, the montage for Movie 20, and have yet to release the movies themselves physically or digitally. I have to wonder if Miramax has the rights to the movies indefinitely or what.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:14 AM   #388

Aug 2019
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechateau View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the deal 4Kids made with Miramax regarding Movies 4-7 contributed to TPCi's decision to go in-house. We're coming on 15 years since Movie 7 premiered on televsion and it doesn't seem like TPCi has regained control over the movies. They excluded them from the movie encyclopedia, the montage for Movie 20, and have yet to release the movies themselves physically or digitally. I have to wonder if Miramax has the rights to the movies indefinitely or what.
I suspect that they will expire eventually (as Warner Bros. eventually lost the rights to movies 1-3), but TPCi has certainly handled the licensing of the anime in a monumentally stupid way, hence why they eventually came to their senses and decided to maintain in-house control of the anime/movies (so we won't have another situation like what had happened after the deal with 4Kids dissolved and the original cast were unceremoniously dumped).

In Australia, movies 4-5 were previously distributed by Buena Vista (Disney), and movies 6-7 had only been released in the last couple of years. I hadn't suspected that it was due to a rights issue, but this certainly explains a few things. The Buena Vista prints of 4Ever and Heroes went out of print once Miramax secured the rights to release movies 6-7 in Australia, where they released 6-7 alongside the bare bones Miramax prints of 4Ever and Heroes.

The other movies (and the anime) are distributed by Beyond in Australia.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:37 AM   #389
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Your post got me thinking. I may have mentioned this in the thread before but I'm not sure. I'd be willing to bet that I had seen 4Ever appear on the official Pokemon website for streaming in early 2016. This was around the time when I was checking the website often for updates on the anniversary promotions and whatnot. Celebi was one of the featured 3DS event "Mythical Pokemon".

Checking Amazon Video tonight lead me to finding out that I may not be losing my mind. 4Ever has a rental streaming/purchase listing but it is currently unavailable. Heroes/Jirachi/Deoxys do not even have listings on the service. Clicking the 4Ever Amazon Video page allows you to check reviews for the movie and there are legitimate reviews from a few years ago. "Format: Prime Video | Verified Purchase", so these aren't DVD/Blu-ray releases or fans posting random reviews. All of the reviews are from 2016 to 2017, none before and none after.

It makes me wonder if TPCI had been allowed a year or two to release the movie to promote the 20th anniversary. If this is true then why not the remaining 3? Whats so different about 4Ever compared to Heroes/Jirachi/Deoxys? Because Jirachi was included in the Mythical Event as well but wasn't promoted with the movie tie-in like Celebi.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #390

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Last year we got a trailer for the Mewtwo remake on New Year's Eve, which was barely a glimpse of it. Nothing substantial showed up until February, which I'm betting will be the case for the 2020 movie.

According to this video film 23 is due to be released in Japan on July 10th.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (01-08-2020), InuYashaCrusade (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #391
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Hopefully the animation in that teaser means that we aren't looking at another CGI nightmare.
Thanks given by:
demomanTNA (01-10-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #392
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

DP Battle Dimension arrived today with a lovely smashed case. Target's website says that there is limited stock at my local store but of course they weren't on the shelf this morning. I'll have to do an exchange in a few days because it is sold out on Amazon too.

Speaking of cases, why has Viz gone back to using the thick style of cases? Larger seasons like Advanced Challenge and Advanced Battle were in thin cases and they have either the same amount of episodes/discs or a similar amount. With a huge long running series like Pokemon I'd prefer slim cases to save space.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #393

Jun 2019

so pokemon u.s twitter talks about the new movie but not mewtwo

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1215439042411544576
Old 01-10-2020, 01:33 AM   #394

Apr 2009

Oh... my.....

So this looks like the Pokemon meets Tarzan movie we never asked for but somehow... we freaking deserve getting! Might be fun!
Thanks given by:
GenPion (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 02:09 AM   #395
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

I like how the recent movies have been stand alone from the main series, not that the previous ones ever followed continuity. This one certainly looks interesting.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #396

Apr 2009

It also looks like they are burying Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution real fast. I mean not even a sign of an English dub at all. Not that they haven't said a word about whatever the heck season 23 will be called for the English dub... and not like season 23 so far has been that good. From the few episodes I've seen with English subtitles... it's absolutely boring even more so after the largely fantastic (and under rated) Sun And Moon series.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #397

Jan 2019

If the rumors of it being released as a Netflix exclusive are true, then that would be why we haven't heard anything. Netflix would just announce and release it whenever they decide to. Same thing with the Rocko's Modern Life special, it was finished and ready to go for a year, complete silence from Nickelodeon on it, and then it was finally announced for Netflix and came out a month later.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #398

Nov 2018

It only got a Netflix rating for the Netherlands, and now that Disney+ is up and running, I would imagine TPCi would be more inclined to stream it with the same company that broadcasts the series on television than on the streaming service no longer working with said company.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #399

Apr 2009

Quote:
It only got a Netflix rating for the Netherlands, and now that Disney+ is up and running, I would imagine TPCi would be more inclined to stream it with the same company that broadcasts the series on television than on the streaming service no longer working with said company.
That could very well be true given that Disney Now has nearly the entire Pokemon catalog available for streaming sans certain episodes of course. Plus they rotate the movie catalog around so only a few are up at any given time. So I could see Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution being launched as an exclusive on Disney+ down the road along with potentially season 23 and bypass airing it on Disney XD.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #400
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by demomanTNA View Post
That could very well be true given that Disney Now has nearly the entire Pokemon catalog available for streaming sans certain episodes of course. Plus they rotate the movie catalog around so only a few are up at any given time. So I could see Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution being launched as an exclusive on Disney+ down the road along with potentially season 23 and bypass airing it on Disney XD.
It's hard to say what will happen with Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution. They could premiere it on Disney+ first and then air it on Disney XD a month afterward. But it'd be like competing with themselves if they don't carefully plan it out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime