Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
11 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Gretel & Hansel (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mr. Robot: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #541

Feb 2011
Las Vegas

Sounds like these newer line of subs are pretty nice. I remember getting my first STF-2 a few years ago and really wasn't impressed with it, and was short lived and soon replaced with a Velodyne.So now a few years later and a few subs later,i wouldn't mind giving these V series subs a shot.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #542

Mar 2011
st paul,mn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DLS- View Post
Finally got my 2nd VTF-15H today. Just playing some music for now while I do stuff around the house. Will check out a movie maybe later on tonight or tomorrow. The volume seemed much lower than my old one so I got the sub gain at 11:30 on the new one and 9 o clock on the old one with them level matched. Both approx the same distance from my main spot.

My current config is Ported Max Headroom Mode - 1 post plugged EQ 2 and Q @ 0.5 for both subs. I leveled each to match my speakers at 75db's so with both on it gave between 2-3 db's more.

I am very happy with how it worked out. I also had to switch the phase on the new one to 180 since with both at 0 - I had a null between 30-40hz. the switch changed that instantly.

Here is my first tuned SMS-1 frequency sweep. Didn't have to boost anything and got it pretty flat down to 15hz and probably a bit more that the SMS-1 doesn't show. New sub is in the front left corner and old sub at back left corner.
Grats bro looks good I wonder how much your room treatments help your flat line
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #543
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

Thanks guys! Reference_head it's hard to say how much the treatments have actually helped since I had them I'm my room before any gear was ever put on. I think most of what I got helps more on the higher frequency though and not so much LFE. the room does sound alot different the the room right next to it and you can tell just with talking.

I have one sub with the phase at 180 and that really smoothed things out. With both at 0 I had a nice dip around 25-40 so I'm glad you can adjust the phase or I woul have not been able to fix that null.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #544
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by basserx View Post
Sounds like these newer line of subs are pretty nice. I remember getting my first STF-2 a few years ago and really wasn't impressed with it, and was short lived and soon replaced with a Velodyne.So now a few years later and a few subs later,i wouldn't mind giving these V series subs a shot.
I went from a Energy ES12 (which I wasn't happy with, not a smooth response and boomy. LOVE their speakers but not that sub) to the STF-2 and I was happy in my small room. It no longer just sounded like bass but sounde like music on the low end as well, low end notes had nice textures to them instead of just noise. Of course that is going from not a very good reference point. Then I have a VTF-HO w/Turbo.. insanely loud on the low notes, though not super smooth with the Turbo on. Now I have a MBM12 MK2 that I will be needing to pair with a sealed sub eventually..
Old 03-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #545

Mar 2011
st paul,mn

Quote:
Thanks guys! Reference_head it's hard to say how much the treatments have actually helped since I had them I'm my room before any gear was ever put on. I think most of what I got helps more on the higher frequency though and not so much LFE. the room does sound alot different the the room right next to it and you can tell just with talking.

I have one sub with the phase at 180 and that really smoothed things out. With both at 0 I had a nice dip around 25-40 so I'm glad you can adjust the phase or I woul have not been able to fix that null.
I run mine on more of a house curve but still that looks good itís one of the first ones Iíve seen on here I think where the measurement is at 80db or more (better test results than lowers outputs imo ) not as hard to get if running test at 70-75dbs
Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #546

Feb 2010
Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I run mine on more of a house curve but still that looks good itís one of the first ones Iíve seen on here I think where the measurement is at 80db or more (better test results than lowers outputs imo ) not as hard to get if running test at 70-75dbs
Not entirely man. My graph stays relatively unchanged at 75db or 85db according to my sms.
My graph is very similar to DLS.

I will try a "house curve" just for fun as I have a number of free slots on my sms to use.

Jim
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #547

Mar 2011
st paul,mn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter View Post
Not entirely man. My graph stays relatively unchanged at 75db or 85db according to my sms.
My graph is very similar to DLS.

I will try a "house curve" just for fun as I have a number of free slots on my sms to use.

Jim
Iím sure you can you both have the same sub set up just saying that at low output levels much easier to get smother response
Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #548
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I tried a house curve before I got this 2nd sub but didn't get it good Luke I can get it flat. Flat also seemed to sound a bit better but I think I'll try a house curve again on another preset and see how it is. Like sputter my response doesn't change wether I have it at 76 or close to the top near 85 db's.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM   #549
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

Just FYI Hsu's got a spring sale right now.

VTF-3 MK3 $70 off - $629 +$100 shipping
VTF-1 $50 off - $399 + $42 shipping
STF-1 $30 off - $269 + $32 shipping
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #550

Sep 2010
Victorville, Ca.

Friend of mine is selling 2 hsu vt15. He only wants local pick up, absolutely no shipping. Figured this would be a good way to help him sell these things. If anyone is interested let me know we'll go from there, he lives in southern California, zip 92394. Almost forgot, he wants 800 ea.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #551
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOZfreek View Post
Friend of mine is selling 2 hsu vt15. He only wants local pick up, absolutely no shipping. Figured this would be a good way to help him sell these things. If anyone is interested let me know we'll go from there, he lives in southern California, zip 92394. Almost forgot, he wants 800 ea.
You should post this in the Trading Forum.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theater-equipment/
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #552

Sep 2010
Victorville, Ca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
You should post this in the Trading Forum.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/home-theater-equipment/
Relax, it was quick mention only not gonna repost.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #553

Apr 2011

Quote:
You will definitely get no Port chuffing with the VTF-15. I have cranked it up on some of the most demanding scenes and it handles everything with no signs of stress.
I experienced some chuffing in the opening seconds of Cloverfield on DVD at reference volume.

The VTF-15H was running EQ1, Q.05 with 1 Port sealed.

The trim was set at 0dB from the AVR. Audyssey XT32 set the sub's gain at 75dB. The Subwoofer was where XT32 left it so I was not running it hot.

Do you have Cloverfield? Wonder what your finders are if running with a similar configuration as above at reference in the opening of Cloverfield.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #554
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler View Post
I experienced some chuffing in the opening
seconds of Cloverfield on DVD at reference volume.

The VTF-15H was running EQ1, Q.05 with 1 Port sealed.

The trim was set at 0dB from the AVR. Audyssey XT32 set the sub's gain
at 75dB. The Subwoofer was where XT32 left it so I was not running it
hot.

Do you have Cloverfield? Wonder what your finders are if running with a
similar configuration as above at reference in the opening of
Cloverfield.

This is from the Manual..

"Ported Max Extension Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set
to 'EQ1'. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to-large room sizes,
or small to medium rooms but who listen at low-to-moderate playback
levels
where the rising low bass from room gain will help compensate for
the ear's insensitivity to bass at lower levels."

I would try it again in EQ2..

"Ported Max Headroom Mode: 1 port open, and operating mode switch set to
'EQ2'. This mode is ideal for those with medium-to large room sizes who
listen at high playback levels and want the deepest bass extension."

You can also try both ports open in EQ2 but definitely switch it off of
EQ 1 if you're listening at reference levels.

I think someone had a similar problem on the avsforum and Pete advised
the user to switch it to EQ2. My settings are pretty much the same as
yours except it's in EQ2 for both of my subs and have never bottomed out
one any scene yet. Even with one sub I never had a problem with the same
settings. I never I do have the Cloverfield Blu-ray and will try it
again tonight at ref.

Do you have an SPL meter. If so check the levels again with pink noise
to verify the sub is not running hot. Also check how loud it gets before
it bottoms out. My VTF-s have reached over 110db;s on Scenes from IM2,
Flight of the Phoenix and TRON Legacy without any chuffing.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #555

Apr 2011

Quote:

levels

again tonight at ref.

I spoke with Pete on the operating modes and to your excerpt from the 15H manual too. It was he that actually recommended me try EQ1 in order to compensate better levels sub 40Hz. He explained that as long as I was not hearing any distortion or stress from amp/driver, that I was good to go. He confirmed that the readings I shared in my previous post looked good. Because I watch at moderate or higher levels (usually around -10dB), I was not considering EQ1 as an option (because of the information from the owners manual, and understanding the purpose of EQ1, etc). But Pete was right as usual, and everything from the organ solo on the Bash test CD to movies with deep bass sounded better. And the readings for sub 40Hz improved as well.

The problem with EQ2 is, I lose too much below 40Hz. And since I am running the MBM, I would like to get optimal performance from the 15h with deep bass. Also, running the 15H at EQ1 reduces some of the cancellation that EQ2 seems to bring about at 40-60Hz.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #556

Apr 2011

Quote:

levels

again tonight at ref.

I was going to edit my post with the below information, as taken from a thread discussing this scene in particular.

It looks like it may be something in the recording in the last two pulses.

Here is a quote from that thread and discussion..

"Ok, folks… here’s the scoop on the Cloverfield opening “Bad Robot” sequence.

Eric Krumme (one of our engineers) and I tested an f112 and an f113 with the scene in question and turned the sub level up pretty high, with excursion exceeding 2 inches on the last drum hit. They both made a gurgly, rattly noise from the third to the last drum hit.

We also happened to have some competitors’ subwoofers laying around. A Revel B15, A Velodyne SPL 12, a little James sub and a Paradigm ported sub (don’t remember the model number). We played the “Bad Robot” sequence and guess what… drum roll, please… THEY ALL RATTLED in a very similar fashion. The high frequency content of the rattle varied (probably due to different LP filtering or woofer inductances), but they all did it to about the same extent. A photo of the subs we tested is available at the link at the bottom of this post.

So, unless all of us manufacturers have designed the same problem into all of these subs, it’s likely the noise is actually in the signal to begin with. To verify, we recorded the LFE output of the Denon receiver (with all satellite channels set to “small” so all the bass was routed to the LFE channel) to a wave file (available at link at bottom of this post)

And then we looked at the waveform graphically in an editing program (the image on the linked page is of the last drum hit, the loudest one). As you will see, there is a bunch of higher frequency garbage in the signal, confirming the theory I proposed after running tests in my home.

In other words, if you hear a rattly noise during this intro sequence, the Fathom (or any other subwoofer) is only reproducing the signal being fed to it and is not defective… In this case, the recording engineers were defective
."

The SPL read 97dB on the second-to-last pulse and 100dB on the last pulse, I believe. The Bad Robot scene in the beginning is where this takes place. It is the last two bass pulses that contain the sound.

Also, if I run it at -4.5dB or lower in the current config, there is no distortion heard. And If I switch to EQ2, there is also no distortion. Since I am running a MBM-12mkII, I really would rather run the 15H in EQ1 and have the MBM optimize output for the mid & upper mid-bass.

If you get the chance, watch the DVD version instead and at reference and report back. If I come across the BD version, I will test the TrueHD track on that part as well.

I have tested WOTW, Tron Legacy, Transformers 1/2 & Master & Commander at reference with no issues whatsoever in any of them. (well M&C I have only ran at -2.5dB because the DTS - but nothing there either. All others I have ran at reference with no caveats)

Here are my levels taken from the Radio Shack Digital SPL (straight from screen, no compensation of the reading).

All reading below have the same below settings from sub 1 & 2..
MBM sealed, Gain 9 O'Clock (75dB set from AVR)
15h 1 port sealed, Gain approximately between 7-8 O'Clock (75dB set from AVR)

MBM trim 0
15h trim 0 EQ 2

250 79
200 80
160 82
125 84
100 81
80 86
63 84
50 85
40 85
31.5 85
25 83
20 83
16 83

MBM trim 0
15h trim +2 EQ 2

250 80
200 80
160 82
125 84
100 81
80 86
63 85
50 86
40 86
31.5 87
25 85
20 85
16 81

MBM trim -2
15h trim 0 EQ 2

250 79
200 81
160 85
125 83
100 84
80 86
63 83
50 84
40 84
31.5 85
25 83
20 83
16 78

MBM trim -2
15h trim 0 EQ 1

250 79
200 78
160 81
125 86
100 83
80 86
63 83
50 85
40 85
31.5 86
25 86
20 87
16 86

The figures in bold represent the settings I used with Cloverfield. These are the settings I prefer, typically.

Also, here are my numbers with the above settings from the TX-NR3008 and both subs from WOTW. MV at reference, readings taken from MLP, approximately 11.5' from 15H & 4-5' from MBM..
MBM -2dB
15H 0dB -- EQ1, Q.05, 1 Port open

The Time stamps to the BD are included.

15:52 106dB (lightning, just like 4'th of July, no..it's not)
16:31 100dB (lightning)
16:13 95dB (lightning)
21:54 107dB (ground breaking up)
23:13 108dB (pod emerging/sinkhole)
23:38 109dB (1st step)
23:50 108dB (steps on Tom)
26:27 107dB (death ray)
27:22 110dB (tripod goes through house while Tom runs)

I spoke with Pete a few months back regarding one other movie that seemed to have similar dirty sound to the recording. The tank dunk scene in Inception had some distortion that was later also attributed to the recording itself, and not the 15H.

Also, I have seen your stunning Home Theatre room before and just want to say how much I appreciate the effort you put in & compliment how nice it turned out. I had no idea it was you replying until I viewed your gallery from you avatar. Very professional & clean, that.

Last edited by Audiofiler; 05-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #557
Special Member

Apr 2008
CANADA
-

^^

I just tried the opening "Bad Robot" scene at -15 on my Marantz and reached a02 on the last pulse. I did not get any port chuffing but I did get some rattling in my ceiling on the last pulses. I will calibrate my subs with the SMS-1 and try it again later on with the EQ 1 setting. Good to know that there was something in the signal from that specific scene. I wonder what range of frequencies are in those pulses.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #558

Apr 2011

Quote:
^^

I just tried the opening "Bad Robot" scene at -15 on my Marantz and reached a02 on the last pulse. I did not get any port chuffing but I did get some rattling in my ceiling on the last pulses. I will calibrate my subs with the SMS-1 and try it again later on with the EQ 1 setting. Good to know that there was something in the signal from that specific scene. I wonder what range of frequencies are in those pulses.
I am not sure if the sound is actually chuffing.

The distortion in the signal happens during the last 2 pulses only. Make sure you are hitting at least 100dB on your SPL for the last pulse. Settings should be q.05 EQ1 1 port open..
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #559
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Zanesville,Ohio PSN-DimeMecka
Send a message via AIM to DimeMecka

Well guys I'm planing on picking up a VTF-3 M3 sometime next month.I am probably getting another by the end of the year also. Is there anyone who has one? If so would love to here about it!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #560
Expert Member

Jun 2008
Zanesville,Ohio PSN-DimeMecka
Send a message via AIM to DimeMecka

WOW!! This thread is home with the wind!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers