Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.89
1 day ago
Star Blazers 2202: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Future Boy Conan: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Naruto: Set 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Made in Abyss: Theatrical Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$129.09
1 day ago
Robotech - Part 1: The Macross Saga (Blu-ray)
$45.99

To Love Ru Darkness 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.10

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 5 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Naruto: Set 5 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 09-13-2021, 02:14 AM   #6661
Power Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
I do want the Highlander anime out on blu-ray, wish discotek would get a chance to release it. Best Highlander sequel yet.
With the Hollywood reboot coming, I bet anyone could get the US distribution for the US cut of the anime if they really wanted to. But the uncut Japanese version is what's being held up, and it has some really superb snippets of information that was cut out which really made the story that much better... But still, I'd take anything over nothing =)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:07 AM   #6662
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
With the Hollywood reboot coming, I bet anyone could get the US distribution for the US cut of the anime if they really wanted to. But the uncut Japanese version is what's being held up, and it has some really superb snippets of information that was cut out which really made the story that much better... But still, I'd take anything over nothing =)
I hope it falls through. Highlander was one of my favorite movies growing up, but even I have to admit it could have only existed in the 80's considering it's themes and Queen doing the soundtrack.

A reboot sounds cool as hell on paper, but I think they'll f**k up it's execution and bloat it with cheap VFX. And Henry Cavill is too massive in physique for me to see him as Connor McCloud. Now, if he played the Kurgen on the other hand...
Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 AM   #6663
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

It is.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:49 AM   #6664
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Ugh a Highlander reboot no thanks, you can not recapture the magic that movie had, especially with the crap actors they have now. Clancy Brown and Sean Connery just made that movie, along with the soundtrack. All the sequels were a joke too (for a movie that had set up endless prequels I never understood them making sequels.)
Thanks given by:
Bobo1313 (09-14-2021), professorwho (09-13-2021), The Collector FX (09-13-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #6665
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
3x3 Eyes

Looks like someone else is a fan in the latest episode of That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime (too bad this season has been downright awful though)

Thanks given by:
SpazeBlue (09-16-2021), The Collector FX (09-14-2021), thelonepig (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #6666
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2019
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
Looks like someone else is a fan in the latest episode of That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime (too bad this season has been downright awful though)

Huh, well would you look at that. That's awesome
Old 09-15-2021, 01:46 AM   #6667
Power Member

Nov 2017
Terminal Dogma

If I already have Patlabor ova and the 1st and 2nd movie(the content I want) is there any reason to own the complete set? I know it comes with the TV series and 3rd movie as well but I'm only interested in the Oshii content.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:04 AM   #6668
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

The improved video quality and smaller subs (with said subs actually staying within the 4:3 frame). The movies were released in 2015 so they already had smaller subs, but the first OVA series was released in 2013, or Sentai's overly large subs and DLW video quality era.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:37 AM   #6669
Power Member

Nov 2017
Terminal Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
The improved video quality and smaller subs (with said subs actually staying within the 4:3 frame). The movies were released in 2015 so they already had smaller subs, but the first OVA series was released in 2013, or Sentai's overly large subs and DLW video quality era.
So the only improvement is the ova disc?
Old 09-15-2021, 03:26 AM   #6670
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

They all have new discs, but the TV series and OVAs (both original and New Files) are what have the biggest improvements.
Thanks given by:
King Crimson (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #6671

Sep 2013

Has anyone compared the Sentai Blu-ray of Morbito to the previous Blu-rays yet? Is the Sentai one, the best one to get or is it worth trying to hunt down an older release?
Old 09-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #6672
Special Member

Feb 2009
Pittsburg, KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEArgumedo View Post
Has anyone compared the Sentai Blu-ray of Morbito to the previous Blu-rays yet? Is the Sentai one, the best one to get or is it worth trying to hunt down an older release?
Sentai's BD set is the best US release. I compared it against Viz's BD set in the Video Quality thread. The Media Blasters set has horrendous video quality and isn't worth looking at.

Quote:
I've started watching Sentai's Moribito BDs and I'll give my take. I don't have a BD drive so this is simply my observation and opinion.

Moribito was produced with a mixed frame rate, the large majority of it is 24fps with some scenes having 30fps portions. Sentai chose for their release to deinterlace it to 1080p/24 and drop frames. This results in choppiness during the 30fps portions. Videophiles will notice it but it's not unwatchable by any means. In contrast, Viz for their BD blended the frames resulting in ghosting during those same scenes which IMO is more distracting.

Compression is at Sentai's typical standard being solid and noticeably better than Viz's BDs. The Viz discs are not compressed well, I recall there being artifacts around the text in the OP for an example. Sentai's discs are much cleaner with the only thing I've seen really is some minor banding which looks source inherit.

The audio is also a clear upgrade as Sentai's BDs have the native 5.1 audio tracks that Viz's were missing. The show's sound design makes strong use of the surround and LFE channels.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (09-17-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #6673
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Did anyone ever have the chance to see the four Moribito live-action "movies" on Amazon Prime when they were airing a year or two ago? I actually thought they did a pretty good job for a live action adaptation, the acting and script was not bad at all. I copied the 4 parts over to a DVD, and I've been wanting to show them to the neighbor couple when we get a chance, since they've already seen the anime series.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (09-17-2021)
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #6674
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

^^ I see them still being being offered on Amazon Prime, GwG but I have not seen them.
For what it's worth, they've gotten some good customer reviews.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM   #6675
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

In an unrelated note;

I dunno if it was a wish-dream or reality but is there a Konosuba film?
I seem to recall it being mentioned but unsure if it exists, is coming or as I said, I dreamt the whole damn thing...
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #6676
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
In an unrelated note;

I seem to recall it being mentioned but unsure if it exists, is coming or as I said, I dreamt the whole damn thing...
Yes there is, you can watch it on Crunchyroll I think, it's really good too.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #6677
Special Member

Jul 2015
England, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
In an unrelated note;

KonoSuba the Movie: Legend of Crimson exists and as mentioned is streaming on Crunchyroll dubbed and subbed.

There's also another KonoSuba anime project incoming but no details on its format.

Plus, there's also Isekai Quartet the Movie in the works if you want more Kazuma & co on the big screen.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #6678
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

RIP The Ultraman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R1V1UBGUTF5NJJ (Sept 14)
Quote:
Incomprehensible machine translation

For some reason Millcreek this year seems to be dropping all the chances they have to do good things for the community, as if they just stopped caring.
This series' translation is sourced from TokuHD's original work for the show, and it is a complete incomprehensible machine translation just like last Month's Gridman set. While the video transfer for the series is as you would expect and the set designers clearly know what they were talking about, unless you personally know japanese you will not understand a single thing that was said in the show. AS we've said before about translations done without any care, do not buy sets like this. It only perpetuates that they can put these out without any care for a quick buck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../RXPY077QJ6A3N (Sept 15)
Quote:
Uses subpar, at times unreadable subtitles.

I’ve purchased the majority of Mill Creek’s Ultra releases. They’ve been good to fantastic. I want to purchase more. But it’s been confirmed this release uses very low quality sub scripts that read like they were machine-translated, very very similar to what was used on Toku HD. I want this series. But not like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R2K5DM4YMWTWY1 (Sept 15)
Quote:
Complete collection, bad subtitle presentation

It’s awesome to have a physical copy of this show but unlike other tokusatsu/anime shows the subtitle quality leaves much to be desired for, primarily in its presentation in which Mill Creek decided to have the subtitles all aligned to the left of the screen in an odd white font versus the standard centered titles in a bold yellow, this sounds like a little thing but it is not and is especially jarring for fans who are use to a quality presentation in a specific standard way.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...ent#post800696

BTW, the manga industry wants machine translations.
Quote:
On the other hand, Momiyama said that translation costs are currently very high. He said that the quality of machine translation is still very low, but that "in 10 years it should improve," adding that "if we can produce high-quality translations in many different languages, it will be a game changer all over again."
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...e-high/.177448

You can never get machine translation to do great with Japanese, as it's a language you basically say more with less, and context is extremely important. Also, translation costs are very high? Translators have been woefully underpaid for ages. Crunchyroll pays $80 an episode, and then there's also this.
Quote:
Dark Sage mentioned how these subs were made with slave labor, and sadly I believe he’s not that far off the mark. I recently watched a Digital Manga Guild webcast where our boss Crayon reported, with no hint of irony, how only 259 people will get paid for their work (out of 726 people who “generated revenue”). Guess how much the top earner got for her work during that six-month period (which is reportedly the most money DGM ever had to give up)?

$1800.

Apparently that’s all she got for doing work that is equivalent to completing about one volume a month. Who knows, maybe she’ll get an even bigger royalty check if she does more books, but for now that doesn’t even cover rent in half the apartment listings. This is simply the logical extreme of the problem that was pointed out by Matt Thorn: translators used to be paid about $6 a page (in 1990’s money), now they’re being paid $3 a page and falling. Obviously with shit wages you’re going to get shit products, because any translator worth a shit would either get into business translating/interpreting, or finally wise the **** up and get another day job altogether. Now we have Exhibit A that this effect has taken over the supposed big leagues of the manga and anime industry. I guess the real reason why Funimation doesn’t hire fansubbers or anyone is because they already have their own reserves of shit-tier translators and editors.
https://www.crymore.net/2014/04/01/t...2/#final_grade

Last edited by BigOnAnime; Yesterday at 01:35 AM.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (Yesterday), SpazeBlue (Today)
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #6679

Feb 2020
Somewhere in Canada

Just gonna leave this here:

Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #6680
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

I've never liked Mill Creek.
It's not just Anime they mess up, let me assure you.

As for the Konosuba flik, tyvm folks, we'll hopefully see a Blu released in the future and as for IQ...I have both S-1 & 2 on Blu, love 'em!!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
anime, berserk, manga