Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
11 hrs ago
Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Looker (Blu-ray)
$17.97
12 hrs ago
The Outer Limits: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$46.25

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$29.33

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mandy (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Big Lebowski 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$87.39

The Unnamable (Blu-ray)
$18.89

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #6921
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentral View Post
i know but people truly hyped up BP as the first movie with an almost black cast and that is true it is. Blade only had Wesley. BP it even has african culture mixed in.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #6922
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Central California

Quote:
Technically, Spawn was the first, followed by Steel. But you're right, many did ignore those early ones in order to try and make it sound like Black Panther was the very first one. Just how many also acted like Wonder Woman was the very first female superhero movie ever made. And like how more recently I've seen people on social media praising Captain Marvel for being the first superhero film to feature a female composer. Um, Shirley Walker anybody?
My Pop! Vinyl Collection | Favorites Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, Halloween, The Mummy (1999) | 4K ShmoreK
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #6923
Power Member

Apr 2008
Virginia Beach, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Technically, Spawn was the first, followed by Steel. But you're right, many did ignore those early ones in order to try and make it sound like Black Panther was the very first one. Just how many also acted like Wonder Woman was the very first female superhero movie ever made. And like how more recently I've seen people on social media praising Captain Marvel for being the first superhero film to feature a female composer. Um, Shirley Walker anybody?
Black Panther is to my knowledge the literal first black superhero, but it was also less of a gamble for Marvel since movies like Blade showed a black lead could headline a superhero movie and it be successful. Wonder Woman was more a gamble since female superhero movies don't have a history of success at the box office, I remember one of the leaked Sony emails had Marvel's CEO saying as much. And while I do think its important something just like Black Panther get made (and that its one of the best of the MCU), I don't see it having the same impact on the films themselves the way I think Wonder Woman will.

I don't think Captain Marvel would have been made, or at least not anytime soon had Wonder Woman not been announced and I can sooner see both cinematic universes producing more female superhero features after the success of Wonder Woman than solo black superhero features after the even bigger success of Black Panther. We already have in the pipeline a Harley Quinn movie, a Birds of Prey movie and Batgirl movie and Supergirl movie for the DCEU and on top of the Captain Marvel movie for the MCU a Black Widow solo movie that a few years ago Kevin Feige didn't see the point in making.
Samsung MU6290 4K TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Player, Onkyo TX-SR605s, Polk CS1 Center Channel Speaker, 2 Polk 60 Monitors, 2 Polk 50 Monitors, 2 Polk TSi100 Speakers, 2 Velodyne VX-11 Subwoofers
Old 09-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #6924
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpstjohn View Post
Black Panther is to my knowledge the literal first black superhero, but it was also less of a gamble for Marvel since movies like Blade showed a black lead could headline a superhero movie and it be successful. Wonder Woman was more a gamble since female superhero movies don't have a history of success at the box office, I remember one of the leaked Sony emails had Marvel's CEO saying as much. And while I do think its important something just like Black Panther get made (and that its one of the best of the MCU), I don't see it having the same impact on the films themselves the way I think Wonder Woman will.
The Blade movies have grossed each between $128.9M to $155M WW. While the first two Blade movies get a lot of love an attention on the geek sides, the general audience hasn't exactly lined up.

No previous female led superhero movie has grossed over $82M (Catwoman).

One could say Black Panther isn't necessarily a gamble because it's part of the juggernaut MCU film series which I think most people say would give it a boost. But, I wouldn't say Black Panther was following in the Blade's footsteps financially.

The other is Wonder Woman who can be easily argued as being in the Top 3 of superheroes. The biggest gamble is being in the same universe as BvS and SS for the general audience.

Quote:
I don't think Captain Marvel would have been made, or at least not anytime soon had Wonder Woman not been announced and I can sooner see both cinematic universes producing more female superhero features after the success of Wonder Woman than solo black superhero features after the even bigger success of Black Panther. We already have in the pipeline a Harley Quinn movie, a Birds of Prey movie and Batgirl movie and Supergirl movie for the DCEU and on top of the Captain Marvel movie for the MCU a Black Widow solo movie that a few years ago Kevin Feige didn't see the point in making.
A script for Ms. Marvel was written by May 2013 for the MCU, which means they were working on it previously. Wonder Woman (Gadot/Jenkins version) was announced in October of 2014. However, I will say that there has been other Studio heads, directors attached to various incarnations of WW since the 90s. But, Ms/Captain Marvel has been on the radar for MCU even before it's announcement a couple of weeks after WW's announcement.

Also, I think it's easy to say that DC has the edge on more marketable female superheros. I think most people would name Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Supergirl, Batgirl before you would even get to She Hulk, Black Widow, Invisible Woman, Storm, etc.

Last edited by Erzengel; 09-13-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #6925

May 2018

Quote:
I don't think Captain Marvel would have been made, or at least not anytime soon had Wonder Woman not been announced
I really, really doubt there was any connection at all.

If Wonder Woman had been released and become a big hit and then Marvel announced Captain Marvel, there might be a case for drawing that conclusion. But IIRC the movies were announced more or less concurrently. Captain Marvel was going to naturally crop up around this point in Marvel's schedule anyway, and the Carol Danvers version of the character is the most popular, and the obvious one to use.

At the time of the announcement (2014), the DCEU consisted of the grand total of one movie, against Marvel's ten. Seriously, why would producers at Marvel have been taking any lessons in planning their movies from the DCEU?!
Harry Sullivan is an imbecile!!!
Thanks given by:
bongozoid (09-14-2018), Erzengel (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 PM   #6926
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

*Checks thread title and checks posts above*

Yeah, so how bout that DC universe news huh?

Also, i think Wonder Woman being successful financially and commercially made Marvel greenlight solo female movjes quicker. Black Widow for example never got one for ages but they saw chance to make Captain Marvel as a stand alone as no previous strings in the MCU

Civil War was a reaction to BvS too. Directors admitted as much.

WB/DC need to get their butt in gear. Their movies can be as every bit as big as how Marvel has made them but they're making poor decisions.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Thanks given by:
mredman (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #6927
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
She was a wonderful composer, but sadly people love to ignore animation unless it's Pixar.
"A tap-dancing chicken act? Gonzo, I've never heard of anything as ridiculous as a dancing chicken."

"How about a talking frog?"

Do they serve frog's legs in Kokomo?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #6928
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008

Quote:
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #6929

Aug 2018

Michael B. Jordan wouldnt even be a good Blade.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #6930
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
*Checks thread title and checks posts above*

Yeah, so how bout that DC universe news huh?

Also, i think Wonder Woman being successful financially and commercially made Marvel greenlight solo female movjes quicker. Black Widow for example never got one for ages but they saw chance to make Captain Marvel as a stand alone as no previous strings in the MCU

Civil War was a reaction to BvS too. Directors admitted as much.

WB/DC need to get their butt in gear. Their movies can be as every bit as big as how Marvel has made them but they're making poor decisions.
Civil War is a reaction to just Batman versus Superman idea obviously. I've heard wild stories from fans that somehow Feige/MCU/Disney somehow got to the script of BvS prior to filming CW which is just laughable.

In terms of Black Widow, while yeah one can say, since WW came out Marvel can greenlight solo female movies quicker, I disagree. Obviously from my previous post Captain Marvel was in early stages back in 2012/2013 as well as in 2014 for BW.

Quote:
"We start filming the next Avengers film at the end of March," Feige said in a February 2014 interview to Total Film. "[Black] Widow's part in that is very big. We learn more about her past and learn more about where she came from and how she became in that film. The notion of exploring that even further in her own film would be great, and we have some development work with that."[3]
Honestly, I think the reason for Black Widow is more because of it'd be a solid next movie considering by the time it's released most of the Avengers and possibly the Guardians would be done. There's only so many "new" franchises prior to FF and X-Men coming into the fold that MCU could start afterwards.

The remaining movies left would be 2 & 3 for Captain Marvel, BP and DS. And one more for Spider-Man and maybe Ant-Man.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies