Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96
3 hrs ago
DC 7-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$116.99
5 hrs ago
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$19.89
10 hrs ago
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Slaughterhouse-Five (Blu-ray)
$28.39
12 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$30.25

Back to the Future: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 09-02-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Default My first plasma in 2019-advice welcome!

I recently found an amazing deal on a very good condition ST60 Panasonic plasma and since I've never gotten to physically own one before I said why not.
So far I'm quite impressed with the results even though the ST60 is not the top tier of the final 2013 plasmas and my XBR960 is no slouch and gives the plasma a run for its money in many areas. I've only done some rudimentary tests and input the DNice recommended settings.

Since this is a whole new ballgame for me any advice is welcome.

First question: What does everyone use for motion settings? Currently on 24p Blu-ray playback I see some noticeable judder going on.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

I have a plasma TV in my bedroom, but since I don't watch sports events, that's when motion blur and judder is usually detected, I don't have a problem with it. Here's an article from Sound and Vision that should help you:

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...r-my-plasma-tv

Last edited by slimdude; 09-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I recently found an amazing deal on a very good condition ST60 Panasonic plasma and since I've never gotten to physically own one before I said why not.
So far I'm quite impressed with the results even though the ST60 is not the top tier of the final 2013 plasmas and my XBR960 is no slouch and gives the plasma a run for its money in many areas. I've only done some rudimentary tests and input the DNice recommended settings.

First question: What does everyone use for motion settings? Currently on 24p Blu-ray playback I see some noticeable judder going on.
u are lucky to get one at a good price these days
Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

I have a like new ST50 if anyone is interested (I think there is a way to see how many hours it has been used but I can't find the setting) , Anyone out there know how to do this ?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2011

I think it varies by model but there should be a submenu on Panasonics that give a bit of data and one should be the hours indicator.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:09 AM   #6

Aug 2011
Fond du Lac, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloween5309 View Post
u are lucky to get one at a good price these days
Sorry to threadjack, but what IS a good price these days? I lurk this subforum from time to time because I've got a NIB 65" ZT60 that's been in climate controlled storage since I bought it. (I know I should be watching it, but my life's taken some crazy turns that are too long to describe here.) I always wonder if I should try to sell it and put the proceeds towards an OLED, but I've got a perfectly matched BDP-103 for it and figure it's still a television worth having? Plus dealing with shipping, let alone me not knowing if it's stillborn from sitting in the box for so long . . . I just let it lie in waiting.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jek Porkins View Post
Sorry to threadjack, but what IS a good price these days? I lurk this subforum from time to time because I've got a NIB 65" ZT60 that's been in climate controlled storage since I bought it. (I know I should be watching it, but my life's taken some crazy turns that are too long to describe here.) I always wonder if I should try to sell it and put the proceeds towards an OLED, but I've got a perfectly matched BDP-103 for it and figure it's still a television worth having? Plus dealing with shipping, let alone me not knowing if it's stillborn from sitting in the box for so long . . . I just let it lie in waiting.
it's worth probaly $1,500 in that condition
Thanks given by:
Jek Porkins (09-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2011

It all depends on the market for used plasmas. Educated buyers know which models are worthy and higher end but most plasmas are of course not in great shape or have a lot of hours.

If you look on local sales they generally go for anywhere between 100 and 500 depending on make, model etc. I’ve been holding out to find either a Kuro or Panasonic and usually every sub 300 dollar one has bad hdmi ports or some issue. Most of the good plasma sales are on the avs forum and someone locally had a vt60 I’d love to have gotten but the $500 asking price while very reasonable was too much for me right now.

Also because I found this st60 for only $90! (That was his listing price. It was an example of someone just wanting it gone and not caring what they got for it.) The seller lived in a very high end neighborhood and hadn’t even used it very much. He had just wanted to upgrade to a big panel for a bonus space so when I got there the Panasonic just had a roku box plugged in and nothing else. I tested it for a few minutes and he looked over in surprise at the Blu-ray of Spartacus I was using to test it with and asked about it looking so great. Then he asked me if Blu-ray was better than dvd and I had to try really hard not to sigh!!

So in short I got super lucky on finally finding a good set but it took months of on and off searching. If you post it for sale locally be prepared to get all kinds of lowball offers from those who don’t even know about plasmas etc.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post

My advice is to get a 2nd one and keep it as a spare....and hang on to them for as long as possible....ideally forever.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (09-13-2019)
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Unfortunately I have noticed a lip sync audio issue where when watching a movie the sync seems to go off after about the half way point and it becomes really obvious for a scene or two then suddenly seems to go back in sync at some later point.

I started searching online and found that Panasonic had done a specific firmware upgrade to address the sync issue. I already knew about the big input lag on this model but since I don't plan to game on it I didn't think it would be an issue. However to my dismay when I pulled up the firmware page it appears my TV has the latest firmware already installed on it.

I've been using my PS3 for BD playback through my Onkyo TX-nr626 receiver via HDMI. I believe I was using HDMI input 1. I've never had to use any offset values as I'm usually running into an HDCRT for my display and using external speakers which has no audio sync issues whatsoever. I'm still using the same receiver and external speakers and if I switch back to the HDCRT there are no sync issues at all.

If I switch over to HDMI2 with the ARC could that solve my problem?

So far this is killing my enthusiasm for an otherwise fantastic unit. i have every additional feature disabled including all motion smoothing and this isn't connected to any online functionality. I used the DNice recommended settings and am only using this for Blu-ray playback via HDMI.

I fixed my other issue which was some ghosting type artifacts on 3D playback. Apparently the tv defaults to a higher refresh rate and when switching back to a lower 96fps rate it resolves the issue. Of course I found this help on an old thread AFTER finishing the movie!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs