Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.47

Monster Hunt (Blu-ray)
$15.23

Sharks 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.74

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99
8 hrs ago
Paranormal Activity: The Ultimate Chills Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.73

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Smurfs 2 in 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.61

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 01-25-2023, 08:53 PM   #2621
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

A 4K listing has appeared at Sanity, but no sign of a 3D disc (yet).

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2...y-Of-The-Water
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (Yesterday), Jlardonio (01-25-2023), pixote (Yesterday), RitwikKN2002 (Yesterday), somebulls (Today)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:35 PM   #2622
Expert Member

Aug 2021

I never wanna watch this movie flat without 3D this movie is none existent. The 3D Blu-Ray could be included here like Cameron and FOX did for ALITA 4K edition as a bonus. I think that is gonna be the most logical thing for the 3D version just like ALITA.

Last edited by AaronWilson; 01-25-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM   #2623
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
Correct although to be clear, “money would come into it” in the form of “wasted money” as most theaters not having the hardware available to properly display a 4k120 3D version would result in wasted money…
Didn't stop Ang Lee doing it, twice and with nothing like the budgets ol' Jimbo has, but point taken: that money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #2624
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedrox View Post
If he wanted to do that he could've just shot the entire movie in 48fps.

Cameron's take on HFR is that it should be used sparingly and that it's dialogue scenes that put people off from HFR and make it look like soap opera.
As I've explained previously in here, it's actually the opposite though. It's the camera motion that makes it "feel and look like a video game". Steady-shots in HFR look fine, with just the actors moving in the frame. There's plenty of examples online you can find of HFR with tripod-mounted cameras or steady shots and there's no odd motion because the camera isn't moving. It's the panning and movement of the camera that immediately makes it feel odd to many people.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #2625
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Glasses free 3D doesn't use special content. It's the display that creates it, not the content. It's been in development for well over 10 years and no breakthroughs have been made.
If this is indeed the case (not sure about that), then those will never offer what 3D fans want anyways. What you're describing sounds like the TV displays/converts all programming into 3D. So how does it handle actual true 3D material with 2 separate views? If the TV is going to "fake" everything, then that's not what we want. For many fans, the composition of the 3D and how it's utilized by the filmmakers is half the fun of watching 3D. Wouldn't that just be lost if viewed on a TV that makes everything 3D? How would it know how strong the depth should be for any given shot? It sounds like if you own a glasses-free TV, you'd never be able to see your 3D blu-rays the way it was designed to be again.
Thanks given by:
AaronWilson (Yesterday), Lee A Stewart (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #2626
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
As I've explained previously in here, it's actually the opposite though. It's the camera motion that makes it "feel and look like a video game". Steady-shots in HFR look fine, with just the actors moving in the frame. There's plenty of examples online you can find of HFR with tripod-mounted cameras or steady shots and there's no odd motion because the camera isn't moving. It's the panning and movement of the camera that immediately makes it feel odd to many people.
Interesting position, I must have missed that discussion in here.

I'm still not sure about the "looks like a video game" criticism of HFR as Avatar2 has a higher frame rate than a great many, maybe even the vast majority, of video games on consoles from the past 20 years.
Thanks given by:
PhantomBill (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:42 AM   #2627
Expert Member

Feb 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
I have to confess, I've had those two turtle films sitting on the shelf for years - but they're among a handful of 3D Blu-rays I bought only because they were 3D Blu-rays only, and I haven't been able to summon up the will to watch yet! I really must give them a try..!
FWIW I thought the first TMNT movie was appalling to the point that I didn't even bother getting a replacement for the second one, where I was sent a used 2D steelbook rather than 3D. Got my refund and couldn't bring myself to spend more money on that franchise.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM   #2628
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Didn't stop Ang Lee doing it, twice and with nothing like the budgets ol' Jimbo has, but point taken: that money would be better spent elsewhere.
Although development began earlier, important to note that the mouse’s leash is a bit tighter than the fox…
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #2629
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
I have to confess, I've had those two turtle films sitting on the shelf for years - but they're among a handful of 3D Blu-rays I bought only because they were 3D Blu-rays only, and I haven't been able to summon up the will to watch yet! I really must give them a try..!
Not only must you sack up and do this asap, you’ll need to post a Bunker review comparing the 2!
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #2630
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Discovered_3D View Post
Interesting position, I must have missed that discussion in here.

I'm still not sure about the "looks like a video game" criticism of HFR as Avatar2 has a higher frame rate than a great many, maybe even the vast majority, of video games on consoles from the past 20 years.
When I saw it with my girlfriend and her sister, her sister's first comment after the film was "it looked like a video game" due to the motion. I get what she means, since high framerate is associated with video games these days. My monitor is 240Hz and handles high framerate games (with mixed success due to driver issues). 60fps is considered bare minimum these days by many gamers. If a game is locked at 30fps, gamers are not happy. It's common to see games deliver higher framerates than that, especially for some older games.

Perhaps I mentioned my comments about camera motion in the movie thread, I can't remember. I thought it was here. But yeah, I feel it's the camera motion that causes the "video-game" motion. Try it yourself sometime - check out some high frameratre material that doesn't involve much camera motion and it feels a lot more natural, like a play - it's very lifelike and realistic, when camera movement isn't factored in. It's the camera motion that causes the issues with HFR motion.
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #2631
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine AWoW 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcv View Post
A 4K listing has appeared at Sanity, but no sign of a 3D disc (yet).

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2...y-Of-The-Water
That's exactly three months from now; for a 4K Blu-ray.
Not bad @ all (if it happens in the real life @ that time).

The real star is a 3D Blu-ray on two discs. That's what me wants above it all.
I have hope. Without hope we're a bunch of sinking ships @ the bottom of the deepest abyss; The Mariana Trench.

By the way; tomorrow number 4 spot worldwide.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #2632
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Ukraine 3D Under Water & Beyond & Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
When I saw it with my girlfriend and her sister, her sister's first comment after the film was "it looked like a video game" due to the motion. I get what she means, since high framerate is associated with video games these days. My monitor is 240Hz and handles high framerate games (with mixed success due to driver issues). 60fps is considered bare minimum these days by many gamers. If a game is locked at 30fps, gamers are not happy. It's common to see games deliver higher framerates than that, especially for some older games.

Perhaps I mentioned my comments about camera motion in the movie thread, I can't remember. I thought it was here. But yeah, I feel it's the camera motion that causes the "video-game" motion. Try it yourself sometime - check out some high frameratre material that doesn't involve much camera motion and it feels a lot more natural, like a play - it's very lifelike and realistic, when camera movement isn't factored in. It's the camera motion that causes the issues with HFR motion.
You need a lot of processing power for constant 120fps without stuttering and other hiccups...pixelation, heat.

* My favorite 3D demos are in slow-mo.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #2633

Dec 2014
SE Mass, USA, Earth

I really only read this thread to find out if a 3D BR disc has been announced. Sometimes I enjoy the back and forth about frame rate, etc., but most of the time I just want to know when I can get my filthy paws on it.
Thanks given by:
AaronWilson (Yesterday), Jlardonio (Yesterday), Kenbar (Today)
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #2634
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguejp View Post
Guess who doesn't care what the box office numbers are? You have three chances.

Take it to the main movie thread.
They're more relevant to the release thread lol. I know it was a long movie but I don't remember any box office stats in it.
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #2635
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2015

It should look like a video game, since video games should look like real life (when photo realistic is a goal) and movies should also look like real life (when the same).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies