Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
Charles Bronson: 4 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99
23 hrs ago
Creed II (Blu-ray)
$24.95
5 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Cliffhanger 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
4 hrs ago
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default To DNR or not to DNR

One hot topic seems to be that of DNR applied to film restorations. I see many reacting negatively to DNR use. But I'd like to know if there is ever a time when DNR can be a useful tool. Are there any movies restored on bluray/DVD where DNR did actually improve things?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Wendell R. Breland Wendell R. Breland is offline
Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
North Carolina
613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
One hot topic seems to be that of DNR applied to film restorations. I see many reacting negatively to DNR use. But I'd like to know if there is ever a time when DNR can be a useful tool. Are there any movies restored on bluray/DVD where DNR did actually improve things?
Unless one is involved in the entire process (from film to disc) how would one know if DNR was used and how much. When DNR is over used it is quite apparent. If really interested I would ask Robert Harris this question.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Unless one is involved in the entire process (from film to disc) how would one know if DNR was used and how much. When DNR is over used it is quite apparent. If really interested I would ask Robert Harris this question.
Any titles known for smart use of DNR?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #4
stonesfan129 stonesfan129 is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2016
Wisconsin
122
10
1
Default

There is nothing wrong with it if used in the right way. These days I don't see much reason to. Shoot on film if you want the grain. Shoot digitally if you don't. 20 years ago it wasn't quite that simple.

One movie I watched today - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan has DNR applied. But it isn't overdone like some others such as Terminator 2 (possibly the worst offender I've seen).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
RockyIII RockyIII is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
RockyIII's Avatar
 
Feb 2016
Miami, Fl
25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
There is nothing wrong with it if used in the right way. These days I don't see much reason to. Shoot on film if you want the grain. Shoot digitally if you don't. 20 years ago it wasn't quite that simple.

One movie I watched today - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan has DNR applied. But it isn't overdone like some others such as Terminator 2 (possibly the worst offender I've seen).
Any examples of applied DNR that did actually improve things?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 AM.