Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 9 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Supergirl: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Classic Hitchcock (Blu-ray)
$64.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Gotham: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$14.99
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 10-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ
Default The Great Kiwi Build

After 10 years of dreaming, researching and planning the wife and I have finally started the build on our home, which means I finally get a dedicated cinema.

Foundations went down in August, frames have gone up since and the roof on next week. Expected move in date is late Feb/early March.

Room dimensions are 6.5m long, 5m wide and 2.7m high.

Will be a 7.4.4 set up. Undecided on whether I'll go with two rows of seating, or just one and leave a space at the back for poker night.

It will be a decoupled wall situation to help with noise. Gear....undecided, I won't be going with speakers behind the screen aside from the center as I want to show them off if I've spent far too money on them I like the Paradigm 95F and 55C, but can get a fantastic deal on the new Klipsch RF-7 II and RC-64.

Anyway, couple of photos.

Start by showing off the view. It's the reason we picked the site. Full view from the bottom of the southern alps all the way out to the beach on the far right.

Ground floor frames going in

and the room itself, fully light controlled

I will be updating the thread regularly with updates of the build progress and then the fit out of the room to follow.
Thanks given by:
Klattsy (10-12-2018), LordCrumb (10-12-2018), reanimator (11-11-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:27 AM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Congratulations mate, and I am subscribing to this thread

Looking forward to your wiring if you are going to show that.. i've always thought having a concrete foundation house, would make things more difficult, but yes very keen to see how you do it.

I'm sure you've done it already, but with your seating, take a look at Atexp80s gallery, and check out his raised seating platform.. it's a nice look and could be extended to make a double row.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Congratulations mate, and I am subscribing to this thread

Looking forward to your wiring if you are going to show that.. i've always thought having a concrete foundation house, would make things more difficult, but yes very keen to see how you do it.

I'm sure you've done it already, but with your seating, take a look at Atexp80s gallery, and check out his raised seating platform.. it's a nice look and could be extended to make a double row.

Cheers mate. Unfortunately being Christchurch don't really have a choice on foundation. I got a decent cavity above for wiring and crawling around in.

Thanks for the suggestion will check it out.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Wow, can't argue with that view at all! I really need to visit New Zealand one day. It is certainly on the short list... pretty hard to go further away from Canada though.
Thanks given by:
kopkiwi (10-15-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

So roof has gone on, finally at the point where I can start planning room layout. Audio quality is of the upmost importance. The Old Man is coming down for Xmas and we'll use that time to line the room.

Have been reading through the Sound & Vision article "Soundproofing 101: How To Keep Your Home Theater Quiet" and settled on a decoupled wall and ceiling with ply, vinyl and sound gib (dry wall) as my means of lining. As per this picture

Will be taking some queues from the brilliant staggered wall HT that landshark did on AVS. Love the design of the acoustic panels so will be incorporating that on the walls in between the columns that hide the side and rear surround speakers.

Can those more qualified than I am see any issues with this plan?
Old 11-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

May 2009
New Zealand

This might help you, as it's local products:

Thanks given by:
kopkiwi (11-11-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
This might help you, as it's local products:

How to Install a Noise Control Wall | Mitre 10 Easy As - YouTube
That's a handy little video isn't it, cheers for posting.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Christchurch, NZ

Putting together a list of materials for the builder to order, I am realizing something. **** in New Zealand is expensive 0_o Depressingly so.

Did a walk around with the electrician this morning to get an idea on light and plug placement, plus wiring for all the cabling. Feel like I have forgotten something though.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:07 AM   #9

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Putting together a list of materials for the builder to order, I am realizing something. **** in New Zealand is expensive 0_o Depressingly so.

Did a walk around with the electrician this morning to get an idea on light and plug placement, plus wiring for all the cabling. Feel like I have forgotten something though.
In the US, low voltage wiring does not require an electrician for inspections and is simple to do - running your own cabling may save you some labor $$ if allowed and if youre up for DIY. Be sure to run backup HDMI to your projector
Old 12-01-2018, 06:50 AM   #10

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post

Is this just for the home cinema room? Down lights are probably the biggest expense, just because of the extra work in cutting the jib and the right fire/heat protection in the roof insulation.

Running HDMI/Audio cables is always tricky if you are not 100% certain where things might end up. Guides online are really only suited to american houses from what i've seen.. they don't seem to have Dwangs in their walls like we do, so drilling through the wall and running a cable isn't as easy for us as it is for them.

I think that's why in movies people can run through or break their walls so much easier lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
In the US, low voltage wiring does not require an electrician for inspections and is simple to do - running your own cabling may save you some labor $$ if allowed and if youre up for DIY. Be sure to run backup HDMI to your projector
For electrical wiring, yes here in NZ you can run all your own cables to the plugs/switches/lights, but you need a sparky to connect it to the mains board, check it and then sign it off.

Also, kopkiwi, have a read up (if you haven't already) about cable distance recommendations.. a lot of various statements out there, but I guess just go with your gut.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #11

May 2009
New Zealand

Btw, just noticed (Photo #2)... holy ****! is that how thick your concrete slab has to be these days?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction