Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$52.75
3 hrs ago
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.87

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.10

Ghosts of the Abyss 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.07

Dredd 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.71

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.99

$14.96

Inside Out 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.96
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #101

Aug 2009
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
Proof? If this is actually true then I can finally sleep soundly, but I've heard too many false statements to get excited.
Iím not aware that thereís been any developments on this in the 5 years since the announcement https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/cam...ce-1200335710/ ...unless AdamR has seen something else?

Either way, until itís confirmed to be dead...thereís a chance?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #102

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyrockard View Post
Iím not aware that thereís been any developments on this in the 5 years since the announcement https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/cam...ce-1200335710/ ...unless AdamR has seen something else?

Either way, until itís confirmed to be dead...thereís a chance?

Just maybe?

https://www.ultra-d.com/

And from the 2018 CES...

Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #103

Aug 2011

Saw Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D in the theaters this week and boy is 3D cinema still as terrible as I remember it. Very little depth to speak of, and of course being a movie with a 2K digital intermediate, very blurry having to watch something rendered at such a low resolution on such a big screen.

Do normies really think that this is acceptable quality? It was such an inferior experience to watching Wreck It Ralph on my 3D capable 4K TV. It's like, everything is watered down when you view it in a movie theater compared to viewing it at home. That's the best I can describe it. Movie theaters are like "light" lemonade and the home theater is regular lemonade.

I still can't believe they're still trying so hard to kill off 3D in the home when the theater experience is still so bad.

I guess I'm just pissed that out of the endless number of universes I could've been born in it had to be one of the darkest timelines where 3D in the home doesn't survive, Trump becomes president of the United States, and climate change destroys the Earth.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #104

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default The divine vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Yea. I believe you are correct when you say we are just a small group of enthusiast. Even in my own world it seems no one cares about 3D other than me. I invite people to come over for a 3D movie and...I have a little luck, but not much. Seems most just could care less. Even my "kids" (in their middle/late 30's) seem uninterested when they come down for a visit. They will watch one or two. But think they are just doing that to make me happy. Becoming a bit of a lonely hobby.

And to me it seems like the door is closing quicker now. So many films released in theaters in 3D...but not for the home market. And I don't know what James Cameron has in mind for Avatar 2. But doubt it will end up being a game changer for 3D in the home.

I'm sure home 3D will have some resurgence at some point down the road. Some point. But...
Not life vests Ken, but a brotherhood(and sisterhood, as well). We share a vision, literally. Visions are always limited in scope to certain individuals. Those that don't have the vision are less than understanding at times to our vision. They want to pigeonhole us and make us feel almost like lepers. Driving us out to little isolated areas to see the vision. I want all to see my vision, but that is the beauty and curse of a vision; only you and others like you can see it. I have come to embrace my "mutant" vision, if you will.

The whole problem with glassless 3D is it just can't be as good as what we already have. The thought by our brotherhood is that if we make 3d for the masses that everyone will see what we see. Not gonna happen. Yes 8k and glassesless 3D will occur I believe but just not the same as what we have now. One requires spatial ability the other just an improvement on the existing system of regular tv. The brotherhood is self-limiting in its membership no matter how much we would like to get others to see our literal "vision." Accept the inevitable; you are not on the Titanic you are in paradise. You have the final piece to the puzzle. You have the 3D tv at its finest, glasses that are basically weightless, and 1080 picture. And finally you have the ability to see it as it meant to be seen by your brain.

I thank Cameron for basically "tricking" Hollywood into giving us what we have. It took the hollywood types a while though to understand, as it has for Cameron, that Cameron's inner circle, like us, were part of a very limited number of the 3D brotherhood. The original definition of Avatar indeed takes on a truly wonderful definition to the members of the brotherhood. It was not the movie the Avatar that made the final iteration of 3D we enjoy now possible; it was us, the brotherhood that mistakenly thought all would share our vision. The few saw the vision and loved it and convinced those that did not that by the manipulation of their greed unknowingly by those with the vision, that the vision could at some point be seen by all, and they were in. The rest of the world wanted to see the vision; and they see our love for the vision. But that was not enough. The vision belongs to us and to us alone. I will never apologize nor give up my vision because they don't have the vision, and I will never forget that they don't want me to have it. They have just realized these things as well. And they are not happy. That is why they are wanting to stamp 3D out of existence.

They have only now realized what we are realizing. We have been given a gift: The Vision. We are the Avatar.

Last edited by wildbill722; 11-30-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (11-29-2018), Kenbar (11-28-2018), Paul H (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
More drama now:
Quote:
(Ultra D 3D TV) is now in a whole kettle of mess with owners and management suing each other for embezzlement and mismanagement. Technology might be close to being ready for prime time but there is no one to bring it to the finish line - unless one of the big boys decide to step in and buy out the technology.
Source 1
Source 2
Thanks given by:
Kenbar (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #106

Nov 2015

Part of the problem is marketing/branding. Everyone wants to name something after themselves, even if they don't get royalties for the products in question. Just look at all the acronyms thrown around for the same idea -- screens that reach from the ceiling to the floor and brought closer to the seats (eg people copying IMAX's theater geometry). Disney went so far as to label 3D movies "Disney Digital 3-D", though as far as I can tell, Disney isn't doing anything different from anyone else with regards to either shooting in 3D or converting to 3D.
Thanks given by:
wildbill722 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #107
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Gee wild bill,

You're getting me all misty (with apologies to Maynard G. Krebbs).
Old 11-30-2018, 11:43 PM   #108

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Gee wild bill,

You're getting me all misty (with apologies to Maynard G. Krebbs).
You know how to get me all misty too, Joe!

I love me some Bob Denver! Most under-appreciated actor ever. I finally broke down and got the color version of Gilligan's Island, first season. I couldn't help myself.

Was just thinking of you Joe. Having Prime Rib tonight. The smell in the kitchen is literally over-powering! My mouth won't stop salivating. And afterwards, home made ice cream and Incredibles 2 3D. You gotta come see me sometime. I can at least feed you and your wife some good food!

Hope you and the wife are having a great Friday night!

Last edited by wildbill722; 11-30-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
Rickyrockard (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #109
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post

I love me some Bob Denver! Most under-appreciated actor ever. I finally broke down and got the color version of Gilligan's Island, first season. I couldn't help myself.

Was just thinking of you Joe. Having Prime Rib tonight. The smell in the kitchen is literally over-powering! My mouth won't stop salivating. And afterwards, home made ice cream and Incredibles 2 3D. You gotta come see me sometime. I can at least feed you and your wife some good food!

You're on bill. Just wait for the warm weather, no hurricanes or earthquakes.

Scary with anchorage.

Hey, wasn't the first season of Gilligan in black and white? So you got computerized color? Gilligan was fun but Bob to me will always be the biggest fan of the film "The Monster that Devoured Cleveland ".
Old 12-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #110

Oct 2014

Quote:

I have all 3 seasons. Just wanted to...bragg a bit Might have to revisit them now that ya brought it up.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #111

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
I have all 3 seasons. Just wanted to...bragg a bit Might have to revisit them now that ya brought it up.
Throw these babies on and we can veg for hours, Ken! Even convert it to 3D. Terrific!

Joe, yes, conversion to color for season 1 by Ted Turner, I believe? Some weird colors, i.e., Skippers shirt goes to black, etc. But still cool to see in color.

Ken, you can't go wrong with the "little buddy."! and the rest.

Happy holidays, ya'll.

Bill
Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #112
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Throw these babies on and we can veg for hours, Ken! Even convert it to 3D. Terrific!

Joe, yes, conversion to color for season 1 by Ted Turner, I believe? Some weird colors, i.e., Skippers shirt goes to black, etc. But still cool to see in color.

Ken, you can't go wrong with the "little buddy."! and the rest.

Happy holidays, ya'll.

Bill
Well Bill,

Now sit back and you'll hear a tale......
Old 12-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #113

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
Saw Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D in the theaters this week and boy is 3D cinema still as terrible as I remember it. Very little depth to speak of, and of course being a movie with a 2K digital intermediate, very blurry having to watch something rendered at such a low resolution on such a big screen.

Do normies really think that this is acceptable quality? It was such an inferior experience to watching Wreck It Ralph on my 3D capable 4K TV. It's like, everything is watered down when you view it in a movie theater compared to viewing it at home. That's the best I can describe it. Movie theaters are like "light" lemonade and the home theater is regular lemonade.

I still can't believe they're still trying so hard to kill off 3D in the home when the theater experience is still so bad.

I guess I'm just pissed that out of the endless number of universes I could've been born in it had to be one of the darkest timelines where 3D in the home doesn't survive, Trump becomes president of the United States, and climate change destroys the Earth.
Did you see it in imax?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 AM   #114
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

The theaters that closely replicate 3D at home are IMAX Laser 3-D venues. But there are very few of them.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #115

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

100% agree. Was exclusively watching movies at home until I experienced Kong in IMAX Laser 3D. When I saw that, my C6 OLED even seemed lacking. Cross talk free, huge viewing angle and a bright image.

Was forced to watch Fantastic Beasts 2, which I enjoyed on my OLED in a non Laser cinema. Was a terrible experience and blurry has hell. My wife who wasn't really into picture quality before did note that the image was blurry, but the moving seats (4dx) were a great experience.

It's a real shame that the laser tech and 3D didn't coincide. Sad thing is there's only a couple Lasers in the entire UK. We can't expect the tech to really take off until a regular cinema goer can get a good experience without paying £23 a ticket.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #116

Aug 2009
England

Did you see that Odeon are opening a couple of Dolby cinemas in the UK also? One is in Leicester Square right next to the Laser IMAX...FFS!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion