Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Supernatural: The Complete Thirteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.32

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Forty Guns (Blu-ray)
$22.97
5 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
23 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Jun 2012
Default Samsung NU8000 or Samsung NU7100

I'm looking to purchase a new 4K television and have narrowed down the options to the 55" Samsung NU8000 and the 58" Samsung NU7100. While it's my understanding that the NU8000 is overall a better television than the NU7100 due to it's better picture quality and higher refresh rate, I'm somewhat torn because of the price difference and passable specs of the NU7100. My primary hesitation on pulling the trigger on the NU8000 is that with both tv's on sale, it still runs $200 more than the NU7100 and is 3" smaller. I've also considered the 55" TCL R617, but have all but written that one off unfortunately due to the number of instances of banding and dirty screen effect that consumers have encountered. Any suggestions and/or personal feedback with any of these tv's would be greatly appreciated. I also understand OLED and QLED tv's would ultimately be the best route to go, but I'm really not in a position to spend quite that much currently on a tv.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #2

Feb 2014
U.S.A

I would go for the NU8000. Connectivity is important for me and having 4HDMI forts vs 3 in the NU7100 to begin with was essential. The NU8000 also is a little bit brighter than the NU7100. Both are great TVs. Quite happy with the NU8000
Old 11-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

vs

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100

The NU8000 is the definite winner.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

I was seriously eyeing 7100 then I saw the remote control for 8000.

7100 has typical regular remotes where 8000 and up comes with the advanced Samsung remote (voice & fewer buttons).

I ended up getting the 8000. 8000 is capable of approx. 80% brighter screen (to overcome inside lights, reflections, sunlight, etc.). QLED for the same size was going to be approx. 30% more expensive so QLED was way over my initial budget therefore no go.

Every TV purchase is a gd research project . . .
Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD43L View Post
I was seriously eyeing 7100 then I saw the remote control for 8000.

7100 has typical regular remotes where 8000 and up comes with the advanced Samsung remote (voice & fewer buttons).

I ended up getting the 8000. 8000 is capable of approx. 80% brighter screen (to overcome inside lights, reflections, sunlight, etc.). QLED for the same size was going to be approx. 30% more expensive so QLED was way over my initial budget therefore no go.

Every TV purchase is a gd research project . . .
I have the 8000 as well. Got one of the first in my market.

I too wanted a QLED, but couldn't afford one so we ended up with the next best thing in the Samsung line. I can't STAND the small "smart" remotes packaged with these things, and would much rather have a full-sized standard remote (which you mentioned comes with the 7100s).

I know what you mean about buying TVs; these things are like god forsaken computers capable of launching a NASA space shuttle into proverbial orbit, and yet it still can't seem to hold HDMI input information in its memory.

I can only imagine what TV shopping is going to be like when we're ready for our next set in about a decade...
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #6

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
a full-sized standard remote (which you mentioned comes with the 7100s).
Not a 'full-size standard remote' but a 'fully buttoned!?!' conventional remote. It was still smallish if I recall the image I've seen.

As for HDMI settings memory and TV controlling the devices I've had successes with XBOX/PS but spotty with Sony BD (the damn thing keeps opening its tray when I turn off the TV ).
Old 12-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
Not a 'full-size standard remote' but a 'fully buttoned!?!' conventional remote. It was still smallish if I recall the image I've seen.
Well, I'd take anything over what they supply in the box with the NUs...

Quote:
As for HDMI settings memory and TV controlling the devices I've had successes with XBOX/PS but spotty with Sony BD (the damn thing keeps opening its tray when I turn off the TV ).
The HDMI input naming memory problem seems to have calmed down a bit on my set; seems whenever anything is "altered" in any way -- doing something to my cable box settings, adding a component to the TV via HDMI -- it sets off the TV and it begins tripping up the memory again.

What do you keep your local dimming on? Do you have any issues with spotlighting/flashlighting in a dark room?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #8
Expert Member

May 2016

Just picked up the 65” 7100 today, though it wasn’t for me. I needed to replace a 65” UN65J6300 for my parents that I stupidly broke when moving furniture for them. As it was for my parents, I didn’t get a top of the line model. In fact, I was looking at the 70” LG UK6570 which Target had on sale for $999.99. With a 20% promo coupon (which specifically excluded LG OLED and Samsung TVs) it would’ve come out to $799.99 before taxes.

Put the order in for store pickup, and got an email saying it wasn’t available in the location I ordered it from (Target’s online inventory system on their site is notorious weak; I should’ve checked Brickseek). Put in my second choice, and shortly received an email later saying it wasn’t available for store pickup there either. My order was cancelled...and my promo code wasn’t valid for use anymore.

Luckily, Target customer service came through during an online chat. They told me to just order what TV I wanted, tell them the order number, and they would manually adjust the order. So I figured, what the hell, I’ll give it a try...and purchased the 7100. Well, I got the discount despite it being a Samsung TV. $679.99 before sales tax. Not bad, I guess.

Now, had I known this was going to work, I would have tried ordering an LG OLED...
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
The HDMI input naming memory problem seems to have calmed down a bit on my set; seems whenever anything is "altered" in any way -- doing something to my cable box settings, adding a component to the TV via HDMI -- it sets off the TV and it begins tripping up the memory again.

What do you keep your local dimming on? Do you have any issues with spotlighting/flashlighting in a dark room?
HDMI memory retention: as you have mentioned.

As for local dimming, I cannot remember my settings. I think I have set it to 'high'?!? Maybe I'll turn it off for about a week and see if I notice a difference. What I have noticed so far is that large black areas with subtle shades of black/dark-grey are very black. Each input seems to have its own picture settings so that had me confused in the beginning, as in 'hey, I changed that setting last time . . .'

As for spot/flashlighting, I frequently watch movies late at night in a dark room and so far decently satisfied with the black levels. Sure, it's not pitch black but it is a downside I was aware of before the purchase and honestly, it's better than what I was expecting.

The thing about the remote, I'm not sure how long it's going to last. I watch a lot of YouTube & Netflix so 'down' & 'right' direction buttons are pressed many times a day (several hundred times, I'm guessing). The 'plasticky' clicks just don't convey the feel of durability. I realize this is unsubstantiated hearsay but I am skeptical this remote will last 10 years.

And I was very impressed with the sound system. Default sound mode is 'weak'. I think I use 'Optimized' mode and it sounds great. Good bass and high notes; I hear things that I have never heard before on the previous TV or on the XBOX w/ Bose Companion 20! The third mode (cannot remember what it's called), seems to be catered for 'voice', as in watching News.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
HDMI memory retention: as you have mentioned.

Quote:
As for local dimming, I cannot remember my settings. I think I have set it to 'high'?!? Maybe I'll turn it off for about a week and see if I notice a difference. What I have noticed so far is that large black areas with subtle shades of black/dark-grey are very black. Each input seems to have its own picture settings so that had me confused in the beginning, as in 'hey, I changed that setting last time . . .'
Quote:
As for spot/flashlighting, I frequently watch movies late at night in a dark room and so far decently satisfied with the black levels. Sure, it's not pitch black but it is a downside I was aware of before the purchase and honestly, it's better than what I was expecting.
From what I understand, "High" local dimming is supposed to be used exclusively for HDR content, while "Low" should be used for SDR (honestly, I don't see a difference between "Standard" and "Low" on my NU8000). However, it concerns me that you're NOT seeing flashlighting or clouding in a DARK room -- where it specifically rears its head on MY set (and where it should). I can't STAND the constant on/off spotlighting as the LEDs dim in and out on these edge lit sets, and it's especially bothersome in the dark.

Quote:
The thing about the remote, I'm not sure how long it's going to last. I watch a lot of YouTube & Netflix so 'down' & 'right' direction buttons are pressed many times a day (several hundred times, I'm guessing). The 'plasticky' clicks just don't convey the feel of durability. I realize this is unsubstantiated hearsay but I am skeptical this remote will last 10 years.
I hear what you're saying; I'm more of an old fashioned kind of person when it comes to these electronic devices, so I'd rather have the full-size-style remote than one of these small plasticky "smart" things that are smaller than any of the other remotes on my coffee table. What's weird is that I read online reviews of these Samsungs and it seems some of them come with two remotes -- the full-sized variant with the big colored buttons and the small smart one -- yet my NU8000 only came with one. I'm not sure if this is a regional thing, but the U.S. version of the NU8000 I bought didn't come with two remotes...

Quote:
And I was very impressed with the sound system. Default sound mode is 'weak'. I think I use 'Optimized' mode and it sounds great. Good bass and high notes; I hear things that I have never heard before on the previous TV or on the XBOX w/ Bose Companion 20! The third mode (cannot remember what it's called), seems to be catered for 'voice', as in watching News.
VERY interesting analysis of the Samsungs' audio settings; no one really talks about that stuff 'round here because we're mainly a home theater enthusiast community and most members have dedicated surround setups...for regular cable watching, I use the NU8000's onboard audio and originally thought the "Standard" audio setting was too weak to hear from our dining room during dinner and such; I have since switched to "Amplify" (the setting you were thinking of...the third one) and think that works nicely.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #11

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

The 'OPTIMIZED' sound setting seems to reverberate a bit. I think it's meant to be a music hall or studio mode.

For movies, 'Optimized' sounds fine. For YouTube, not all the time.

'AMPLIFY' setting seems to accentuate spoken words or singing.

'STANDARD' must be flat response for those who have the TV hooked up to an external receiver.

I think I remember an equalizer in the settings somewhere so the sound can be custom tailored but I'm much too lazy to tweak that when OPTIMIZED and AMPLIFY suits most of my needs.

For local dimming, I paused a movie where the shot showed medium/strong light reflecting off a surface (in this case a man's forehead) then tried different settings. One setting had excessive brightness where another setting looked more natural. So give that a try.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016

Quote:
The 'OPTIMIZED' sound setting seems to reverberate a bit. I think it's meant to be a music hall or studio mode.

For movies, 'Optimized' sounds fine. For YouTube, not all the time.

'AMPLIFY' setting seems to accentuate spoken words or singing.

'STANDARD' must be flat response for those who have the TV hooked up to an external receiver.

I think I remember an equalizer in the settings somewhere so the sound can be custom tailored but I'm much too lazy to tweak that when OPTIMIZED and AMPLIFY suits most of my needs.

For local dimming, I paused a movie where the shot showed medium/strong light reflecting off a surface (in this case a man's forehead) then tried different settings. One setting had excessive brightness where another setting looked more natural. So give that a try.
Here's what I noticed about the sound settings:

When you choose one of the other two modes other than STANDARD, the EQUALIZER section is greyed out, so the TV's onboard audio automatically adjusts for those settings (Optimized, Amplify). In STANDARD, the EQ can be adjusted by the user.

At any rate, it's ironic that we have been talking about the NU's tendency to not save HDMI input information and such, and I had mentioned that on my set it has "calmed down"...

It seemed too good to have lasted.

Last night, the TV reverted back to its nonsense of automatically deleting one input icon from the home menu and making all my inputs go out of whack (HDMI 2 was reading as HDMI 1 with the wrong resolution information, etc.). So now I'm back where I started with this problem and have to somehow get Samsung involved because I can't live with that.
Old Today, 05:21 PM   #13

Sep 2018
Belleville, ON, Canada

Good luck with that and let us know the outcome!

The (visual) Noise Reduction was really acting up yesterday in a scene in a dark room where candle lights were flickering and there were reflections off characters' forehead. Their foreheads appeared as though they were 'pulsating' with the light. Once I turned off the (visual) Noise Reduction, it looked fine. Even the LOW setting was noticeably bad.

So I am narrowing down on the settings that I prefer to have.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs