Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.19
18 hrs ago
Deadpool 1 + 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.69
9 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Illumination Presents: 6-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Reign of the Supermen (Blu-ray)
$14.99
42 min ago
Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.95
3 hrs ago
Saw: 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
5 hrs ago
Ocean's 8 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$55.99
18 hrs ago
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
18 hrs ago
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$8.79
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #12721
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
1318
1335
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I doubt I will view anything weirder than that all day, but it does make as little sense as do the recurring posts from the self appointed Grim Reaper of physical media. Thankfully, he brings his usual competence to his desired task.
It's from an early 90s TV show (the alien was only in this episode). It's extremely bizarre (and out of context this one scene comes across as even more bizarre), but this episode of this show for whatever reason has consistently cracked me up over the years on repeat viewings more than most things do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #12722
CV19 CV19 is offline
Special Member
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
646
126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Physical had a good run......
And rest assured, it will continue to do so for many more years. As long as there's money/profit to be made, physical media will be around for a long time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-06-2018), Dynamo of Eternia (12-06-2018), Steedeel (12-06-2018), Vilya (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #12723
CV19 CV19 is offline
Special Member
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
646
126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I will do what I can to help those sales figures over the remaining weeks of 2018, but I will not be buying as much this month as I did last month. During December, I must spend a little less on me and think more of others instead. That's the goal, anyway.
I'll also do my bit to help sales figures for the remainder of the year, but as for spending less on myself......ah well, that's one promise I can't make.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-06-2018), Vilya (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #12724
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I will do what I can to help those sales figures over the remaining weeks of 2018, but I will not be buying as much this month as I did last month. During December, I must spend a little less on me and think more of others instead. That's the goal, anyway.
Yeah, same here. Especially with it being my Sisters 50th birthday.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #12725
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3741
3668
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Yeah, same here. Especially with it being my Sisters 50th birthday.
Happy Birthday to your sister! People with December birthdays often get short changed by having their birthday "combined" with Christmas. Reaching 50 is a milestone; do something extra nice for her.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-06-2018), Steedeel (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #12726
octagon octagon is online now
Blu-ray Duke
 
octagon's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Chicago
1995
Default

You should get her a really nice watch

[Show spoiler]

Last edited by octagon; 12-06-2018 at 05:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-06-2018), Dynamo of Eternia (12-06-2018), flyry (12-07-2018), Vilya (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #12727
Dynamo of Eternia Dynamo of Eternia is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
1318
1335
2
Default

My sister's birthday is in 3 days, so she has a December birthday. I have an early January birthday, so we are both in close proximity to Christmas.

It isn't too bad since most people in our family typically have separate budgets for Christmas and birthdays in general (regardless when those birthdays occur), but since mine is so close to Christmas, I'm often able to ask to have the budgets for both combined to get something bigger where applicable.

It also could be a lot worse in terms of how close to Christmas it is. We have a second cousin who was born on Christmas day.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018), dublinbluray108 (12-06-2018), Steedeel (12-06-2018), Vilya (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #12728
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Happy Birthday to your sister! People with December birthdays often get short changed by having their birthday "combined" with Christmas. Reaching 50 is a milestone; do something extra nice for her.
We are. Got two big sisters, one had her 50th two years back so we have to make it as big for my other sister. You know what women are like!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #12729
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
You should get her a really nice watch

[Show spoiler]
Iím getting one, the Apple Watch. Canít wait but I can promise you all I wonít be watching video content on it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 AM   #12730
dublinbluray108 dublinbluray108 is offline
Expert Member
 
Dec 2014
Dublin, Ireland
212
89
54
2
Default

One of my own cousins has her birthday on Christmas Eve. I think I'm only the person in my family that has my birthday over a week after NYD.

On reading the article about the possibility of the 5D glass disc for commercial use in home video use in the future. My opinion on this development is that it sounds absolutely amazing. The timescale of physical media for people living in future generations is an exciting prospect that it can become groundbreaking in the home video market. I was reading the link from the Verge about this disc. One of the comments from a person working on backing up movies on big HDD's or SSD's can become very challenging while various amounts of those drives do break down. He is one person who is absolutely in favour of this medium becoming a commercial reality. I think the amount of potential for this format can be life changing for the home video industry. If both scientist's, studios & manufacturers come up with a breakthrough solution for getting video players for this format as a permanent solution within a number of years to secure the future of this huge market well that news would be very welcome including those who collect physical media.

All of us for now though will have to stick with current physical media options for the foreseeable future. I'm currently really happy to stick with that decision.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #12731
Kage Kage is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2007
DFW, TX
833
59
Default

I have over 800 titles in my iTunes collection and lately I've been thinking of going back to physical media. Do any of you think that its too late for me to go back to physical media especially for 4k movies?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:23 AM   #12732
flyry flyry is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
flyry's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
405
142
210
35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
You should get her a really nice watch

[Show spoiler]
Best post ever
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:36 AM   #12733
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3741
3668
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have over 800 titles in my iTunes collection and lately I've been thinking of going back to physical media. Do any of you think that its too late for me to go back to physical media especially for 4k movies?
It's never too late. Just do whatever makes you happy.

By now, you know the pros and cons of both. If you buy 4K discs, or even blu-rays, going forward, you will likely get the digital code as well. 4K discs go on sale frequently; many were at $10 during Black Friday, some were just $8. Lots of bargains continue to be had with some of the best prices occurring after I have already bought them at a higher price.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-07-2018 at 04:49 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #12734
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3741
3668
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinbluray108 View Post
One of my own cousins has her birthday on Christmas Eve. I think I'm only the person in my family that has my birthday over a week after NYD.

On reading the article about the possibility of the 5D glass disc for commercial use in home video use in the future. My opinion on this development is that it sounds absolutely amazing. The timescale of physical media for people living in future generations is an exciting prospect that it can become groundbreaking in the home video market. I was reading the link from the Verge about this disc. One of the comments from a person working on backing up movies on big HDD's or SSD's can become very challenging while various amounts of those drives do break down. He is one person who is absolutely in favour of this medium becoming a commercial reality. I think the amount of potential for this format can be life changing for the home video industry. If both scientist's, studios & manufacturers come up with a breakthrough solution for getting video players for this format as a permanent solution within a number of years to secure the future of this huge market well that news would be very welcome including those who collect physical media.

All of us for now though will have to stick with current physical media options for the foreseeable future. I'm currently really happy to stick with that decision.
The biggest hurdle to 5D discs becoming consumer friendly is the cost of the finished disc itself. The disc is just silica glass, but an extremely expensive laser is required to write the data to it. The reading device is also inexpensive, but the discs are just prohibitively expensive to record data upon at this time. Of course, almost all new technology is priced out of reach at first. The cost factor will be overcome eventually.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-07-2018 at 04:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:55 AM   #12735
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3741
3668
3
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
My sister's birthday is in 3 days, so she has a December birthday. I have an early January birthday, so we are both in close proximity to Christmas.

It isn't too bad since most people in our family typically have separate budgets for Christmas and birthdays in general (regardless when those birthdays occur), but since mine is so close to Christmas, I'm often able to ask to have the budgets for both combined to get something bigger where applicable.

It also could be a lot worse in terms of how close to Christmas it is. We have a second cousin who was born on Christmas day.
Happy Birthday to your sister as well!

My birthday is close to Valentine's Day and while that does not impact my receiving gifts, it does make it difficult to get together with my friends as they have to do the whole romantic evening with their spouses instead.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018), dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018), Dynamo of Eternia (12-07-2018), Steedeel (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #12736
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have over 800 titles in my iTunes collection and lately I've been thinking of going back to physical media. Do any of you think that its too late for me to go back to physical media especially for 4k movies?
Absolutely not. Especially if you are into cult/obscure/classic horror/exploitation/vintage action/Asian/60íd classics/70ís classics/80ís classics.

4K wise, itís a no brainier. 4K disc is by far the best way to treat your tv or projector.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018), dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018), Vilya (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #12737
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Best post ever
I worry for your humour if thatís the case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #12738
CV19 CV19 is offline
Special Member
 
CV19's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
England
646
126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
My sister's birthday is in 3 days, so she has a December birthday. I have an early January birthday, so we are both in close proximity to Christmas.

It isn't too bad since most people in our family typically have separate budgets for Christmas and birthdays in general (regardless when those birthdays occur), but since mine is so close to Christmas, I'm often able to ask to have the budgets for both combined to get something bigger where applicable.

It also could be a lot worse in terms of how close to Christmas it is. We have a second cousin who was born on Christmas day.
I'm quite lucky in this respect as my birthday falls in April, so my parents had 4 months to save up for my birthday present after Christmas.

However I remember one year while I was still at school, my dad actually gave me an Easter egg as a present because on that particular year my birthday happened to fall on Easter Sunday. I'm sure he did it just to see the look on my face. Thankfully my real present was in the other room.

Last edited by CV19; 12-07-2018 at 11:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018), Steedeel (12-07-2018), Vilya (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #12739
Vilya Vilya is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Vilya's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Illinois
3741
3668
3
2
Default

Another update from Bruceames in the Home Video Sales thread:

Blu-ray disc sales are down only 1.84% this year and they might break even by year's end.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1020

Shaping up to be a good year for physical media.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018), dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018), Steedeel (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #12740
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Apr 2011
England
558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Another update from Bruceames in the Home Video Sales thread:

Blu-ray disc sales are down only 1.84% this year and they might break even by year's end.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1020

Shaping up to be a good year for physical media.
Excellent turnaround. Especially for a format that is well beyond its 10th anniversary.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
CV19 (12-07-2018), dublinbluray108 (12-10-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:24 AM.