Best PS4 Game Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 12 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fallout 76 (PS4)
$49.99

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker (PS4)
$38.00
32 min ago
My Hero One’s Justice (PS4)
$39.99

Fallout 76 (PS4)
$39.99

LEGO DC Super-Villains (PS4)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
Soul Calibur VI (PS4)
$39.99

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (PS4)
$39.99

NieR: Automata (PS4)
$24.99

God of War (PS4)
$29.99

MX vs ATV All Out (PS4)
$13.97
15 hrs ago
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
$29.99

Hitman 2 (PS4)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #2241
Power Member

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenexus6 View Post
I'm kind of bored with the whole silent protagonist in games now. Rockstar went into so much detail in the single player couldn't they have just recorded like 3/4 voice options for male and female characters in the online?

It looks stupid doing story missions and my guy is just mindlessly standing there staring at characters and nods occasionally.
I like to think that my players seen some rough $hit and it’s rendered him mute.
Thanks given by:
ratandjmt (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #2242
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Online is pretty terrible overall to me: Gunplay is pretty crap and not very good for the hectic deathmatvhes you can get into, certain weapons are clearly better, making it pay to win, the grind is ridiculous and incredibly boring, the silent protagonist makes the story awkward and dumb to play through as they stare blankly at everything, and in the end there isn't much rewarding content other than to say "yes I did indeed buy all the overpriced junk."

A can of beans is worth more than a platinum pocket watch. Think about that for a minute. This game is clearly designed around people spending real money, and I just don't have the time to waste on what amounts to a freemium game with a gorgeous open world.

Hopefully they don't abandon single player the way they did with GTA5. I'd love an undead nightmare 2 or something similar.
Thanks given by:
Derb (12-04-2018), JackSkellington (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #2243
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Güchenschlong View Post
Just started playing this recently and have to say... I'm enjoying just looking around at everything much more than I am enjoying actually playing the missions. Visually this game is so darned gorgeous but sheesh. No way on earth would I give the actual gameplay a score higher than a 5 or 6 at best.
Uyy. Can’t believe people thanked this when you are only rating the game from a very early on playthrough.

But to each their own.
Thanks given by:
Captain Flint (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #2244

Dec 2014
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
Uyy. Can’t believe people thanked this when you are only rating the game from a very early on playthrough.

But to each their own.

I could finish the final chapter and the game would still have gorgeous visuals and shit controls and gameplay. Same score either way.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #2245
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Hopefully they don't abandon single player the way they did with GTA5. I'd love an undead nightmare 2 or something similar.
Spoiler alert. They will abandon it. We are talking about Take-Two here.
Thanks given by:
Gamma_Winstead (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #2246
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Spoiler alert. They will abandon it. We are talking about Take-Two here.
I know. I just wanted to put something hopeful so that way it wasn't just a completely negative post.
Thanks given by:
Derb (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #2247
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Online is pretty terrible overall to me: Gunplay is pretty crap and not very good for the hectic deathmatvhes you can get into, certain weapons are clearly better, making it pay to win, the grind is ridiculous and incredibly boring, the silent protagonist makes the story awkward and dumb to play through as they stare blankly at everything, and in the end there isn't much rewarding content other than to say "yes I did indeed buy all the overpriced junk."

A can of beans is worth more than a platinum pocket watch. Think about that for a minute. This game is clearly designed around people spending real money, and I just don't have the time to waste on what amounts to a freemium game with a gorgeous open world.

The best gun hilariously for pvp is the varmint rifle, its only 70 bucks which isn't too bad. I've given the online more of a chance, been playing with one friend. The grind is definitely real and the economy sucks but I've already gotten a bow, the varmint rifle, and the fishing rod. Able to make good money hunting/fishing salmon. I imagine if the economy was fairer you'd run out of stuff to buy real quick. I'm not even playing nearly as much as I did the single player and have quite a few items, they should have found a way to hide the greed a little better like mmos do. The death match stuff isn't fun at all though, they probably need to take off free aim for the pvp modes.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #2248
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
I traded my copy back to Best Buy for $33. I just wasn’t having fun playing it, and went 2 weeks barely touching it.
That saddens me
Old 12-05-2018, 12:42 AM   #2249
Power Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
...making it pay to win...
While I certainly understand your frustrations with Red Dead Online and I most definitely have my own frustrations as well, this bit is just not true. If you think this game is "pay to win", you either don't understand what "pay to win" actually means or you're just throwing that term out there because you think someone else has an edge because he happens to have a (in your opinion) better weapon that you do and it's ruining your experience.

The fact is that there IS NO "pay to win". Every single player grinds the same shit, to get the same dollars, the same gold bars and the same required ranks to unlock the same weapons. Exactly the same way you do. There is no option to buy gold bars with real money. There is only the grind.

There is a whole lot to complain about in Red Dead Online, and the economy is unfair at best, but it is most definitely not pay to win.

Last edited by Autumn Shroud; 12-05-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #2250
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Shroud View Post
While I certainly understand your frustrations with Red Dead Online and I most definitely have my own frustrations as well, this bit is just not true. If you think this game is "pay to win", you either don't understand what "pay to win" actually means or you're just throwing that term out there because you think someone else has an edge because he happens to have a (in your opinion) better weapon that you do and it's ruining your experience.

The fact is that there IS NO "pay to win". Every single player grinds the same shit, to get the same dollars, the same gold bars and the same required ranks to unlock the same weapons. Exactly the same way you do. There is no option to buy gold bars with real money. There is only the grind.

There is a whole lot to complain about in Red Dead Online, and the economy is unfair at best, but it is most definitely not pay to win.
As of right now, no, you can't spend real money on weapons. But you could in GTA 5. And yes... In GTA5, having better weapons did in fact increase your odds of success in multiplayer matches. Just as having better weapons now in RDO absolutely puts you at an advantage against an equally skilled player with a lesser weapon.

Don't play dumb. You know exactly where RDO will be in 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
The best gun hilariously for pvp is the varmint rifle, its only 70 bucks which isn't too bad. I've given the online more of a chance, been playing with one friend. The grind is definitely real and the economy sucks but I've already gotten a bow, the varmint rifle, and the fishing rod. Able to make good money hunting/fishing salmon. I imagine if the economy was fairer you'd run out of stuff to buy real quick. I'm not even playing nearly as much as I did the single player and have quite a few items, they should have found a way to hide the greed a little better like mmos do. The death match stuff isn't fun at all though, they probably need to take off free aim for the pvp modes.
I'll take your word for it. I sold my copy earlier today. Got what I wanted out of the SP, and I have no interest in investing the amount of time the multiplayer will require. The game mechanics just aren't good enough to me if I'm not getting rewarded with the high quality story content of the SP. I'll pick up the inevitable ps5 version for another story re-play in 2-3 years, but for now, that's that for me.
Thanks given by:
jayturner514 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #2251
Power Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
As of right now, no, you can't spend real money on weapons. But you could in GTA 5. And yes... In GTA5, having better weapons did in fact increase your odds of success in multiplayer matches. Just as having better weapons now in RDO absolutely puts you at an advantage against an equally skilled player with a lesser weapon.

Don't play dumb. You know exactly where RDO will be in 12 months.
No one is playing dumb, fella. Your original post is based on your RD:O experience right now and the statement you made is false right now. It's not about 12 months from now and it certainly isn't about GTA:O.

Like I said, I understand the frustration. But whining and falsely throwing the phrase "Pay To Win" around (because someone else has more time to play a game than you do and, by default, has access to higher ranked weapons) is entirely unnecessary.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 AM   #2252
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
No one is playing dumb, fella. Your original post is based on your RD:O experience right now and the statement you made is false right now. It's not about 12 months from now and it certainly isn't about GTA:O.

Like I said, I understand the frustration. But whining and falsely throwing the phrase "Pay To Win" around (because someone else has more time to play a game than you do and, by default, has access to higher ranked weapons) is entirely unnecessary.
We all know the "micahtransactions" for gold bars are coming but the guns in this game, even the better ones don't really give you a HUGE advantage like stuff in gta online does. The pvp mode is auto aim headshot with nearly any weapon as opposed to gta 5 where as a newer player I would just get destroyed by everyone. So until rockstar releases guns that are insanely OP and put them behind 30 gold bars for purchase its not too unfair as of now. That will likely change though after a few updates.

Like I said earlier though the single player is the reason to buy this game.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #2253
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Am not bothered by RDO.

RS might “Reset” your progression btw. They are currently taking in all feedback from this beta including P2W, economy crunch & general balancing.

Remember this is a beta but don’t be fooled. RS will implement “Time Savers” to avoid grind with gold bar currency payable by you the player. I say if you are enjoying RDO for what it is, keep on having fun. Looking for “randoms” to compete competitively? This ain’t your online game.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #2254
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Savannah GA

I really don't want to do the grind for better guns and everything then just have RS take it all away. It would probably ruin me on the game, but then if I don't grind and RS doesn't take it away. I'll be behind and never be able to compete in anything. Ugg
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #2255
Power Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
We want to thank the Red Dead community for playing and sending us tons of valuable feedback during the first full week of the Red Dead Online Beta’s availability. This feedback is crucial to help shape the game as we move forward.

Today we are starting to implement the first set of adjustments to the game including changes specifically geared towards creating a more balanced, fun and rewarding overall experience, across all modes and missions. These include:

Increasing the cash and gold payments across a number of different activities including Free Roam Missions, Free Roam Events, replays of A Land of Opportunities Missions, Showdown Series modes and more.

Reducing the prices of most weapons in the Wheeler, Rawson & Co Catalogue and Gunsmiths. For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players.

Balancing the values of select pelts, skins and fish as well as horse reviver and pamphlets.

Of course our efforts to improve and balance the Red Dead Online Beta will continue. We are conscious of and still evaluating an assortment of further adjustments based on feedback from the community. We are currently working on fixes for some persistent bugs that are causing some players to be kicked from sessions, and we aim to have fixes for these live next week. We will also continue to review all the feedback and suggestions so please keep them coming to reddeadonline.com/feedback.

As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th.

Once again, we want to thank everyone for playing the Red Dead Online Beta and sharing their experiences so far with us. There’s still lots more to come so please stay tuned!
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...ntent=newswire
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #2256
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
Chicago

I should get a nice chunk of change back, I paid full price for a bolt range rifle and a bow. I see they nerfed the profits from hunting so unless the payout for missions is a lot better the lower prices on guns don't mean much. I wonder if clothes are any cheaper. Been fishing at Dakota river a lot lately, going to buy that pump shotgun now that the price has been cut in half
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #2257
Power Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
I should get a nice chunk of change back, I paid full price for a bolt range rifle and a bow. I see they nerfed the profits from hunting so unless the payout for missions is a lot better the lower prices on guns don't mean much. I wonder if clothes are any cheaper. Been fishing at Dakota river a lot lately, going to buy that pump shotgun now that the price has been cut in half
They actually didn't nerf hunting. Some of the pelts & carcasses went up in value while most remained the same. Bucks & deer still selling for $10 & $7, for example. Fishing took a hit, though. both Sockeye and Steelhead are down to $2.50 from $4.25 but even that isn't that big a deal, imo.

The refunds along with the $250 & 15 gold bars bonuses are nice, but it does make me wonder if that generosity should concern us in regards to their "Beta progress may or may not carry over to full launch RD:O" statement. I wouldn't put it past Take-Two to give us this only because they low-key decided to wipe our progress the moment they bring us out of the beta phase.

Oh, and the Pump-Action Shotgun is as much of a monster as it is in story mode. Mine comes free in both story mode & RD:O but I would have happily paid $1000 for it. The sheer amount of devastation, the sound, the manual pumping...yeah, it is by far my favorite weapon in the game.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 PM   #2258
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
They actually didn't nerf hunting. Some of the pelts & carcasses went up in value while most remained the same. Bucks & deer still selling for $10 & $7, for example. Fishing took a hit, though. both Sockeye and Steelhead are down to $2.50 from $4.25 but even that isn't that big a deal, imo.

The refunds along with the $250 & 15 gold bars bonuses are nice, but it does make me wonder if that generosity should concern us in regards to their "Beta progress may or may not carry over to full launch RD:O" statement. I wouldn't put it past Take-Two to give us this only because they low-key decided to wipe our progress the moment they bring us out of the beta phase.

Oh, and the Pump-Action Shotgun is as much of a monster as it is in story mode. Mine comes free in both story mode & RD:O but I would have happily paid $1000 for it. The sheer amount of devastation, the sound, the manual pumping...yeah, it is by far my favorite weapon in the game.
oh that's good to hear about the shotty, its a masterpiece of a weapon. The way it feels is fantastic. Yeah I meant to type fishing got a nerf, not hunting. My mistake. This online mode has really grown on me, its slow paced if you want it to be and pretty much nothing like gta online other than the economy they're attempting to work on. I don't even have griefers attacking me anymore hardly, even if I do I just have a little revenge as gun fights are on equal ground and I don't have a guy on a hover bike or jet bombing me. Like I said before, I don't see the young players sticking with this game too long. Shoot outs in the towns > showdown mode
Old 12-07-2018, 03:00 AM   #2259
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

This game is too damn overrated! It's winning awards at TheGameAwards right now that other games deserve more.

Best Narrative? That should have went to Life is Strange 2
Best Audio Design? That should have went to Marvel's Spider-Man
Thanks given by:
Dirk504 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 03:13 AM   #2260
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
This game is too damn overrated! It's winning awards at TheGameAwards right now that other games deserve more.

Best Narrative? That should have went to Life is Strange 2
Best Audio Design? That should have went to Marvel's Spider-Man
Seriously? RDR 2 blows Spiderman out of the water. Spiderman is not even in the same league as RDR 2. It’s supposed to be a Spiderman game yet they had us playing as other people and focus to much on Mary Jane and Miles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4