Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$249.95

Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99
9 hrs ago
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$54.99
13 hrs ago
Mad Men: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$77.12

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
The Silent Partner (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.98

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

1984 (Blu-ray)
$27.37

Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

May 2011
Default How to correctly play back Dolby Stereo movies?

Ok, so let me start with the pre-amble that I was always under the (false) impression that Dolby Stereo just meant that - a 2.0 Stereo channel sound.

Now, I coincidentally found out in one of the threads on these boards that Dolby Stereo actually means 4.0 channel surround sound.

This means one thing - that I have been playing back all of my hundreds of blu-rays wrong. I always put my receiver to 'Stereo playback' for all these 80s movies, which resulted in sound coming out from L and R and the subwoofer.

What is actually the correct way to play this back? Which mode should one set up on the receiver for a dolby stereo movie (in my case a Denon AVR-X1200W)?

My assumption is that the mode should be set to "Dolby Surround", but I just wanted to make sure. There are other modes as well, which could make sense, e.g. "Direct/Pure Direct (multi-channel)" or "Matrix".

That's really a pain, why can't these systems just select the appropriate playback method by themselves?
Old 04-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Apr 2013

You're correct. You should use Dolby Surround or ProLogic. You want the dialog to come from the center. Actually, it will sound better than legacy dolby stereo because it will upscale the sound to stereo surrounds or even height speakers if you have them.
Thanks given by:
Menteith (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

May 2011

Thanks, this is really interesting. I wonder how many people play all these movies back wrongly - or am I the only one?

A good example is the Arrow UK blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China. Arrow advertised that they provided the original 2.0 Stereo track on their blu-ray. I mean it literally says 2.0 in the menu and on the back cover.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but just going from common sense I would never have geuessed to set my receiver not to "stereo", not to "DTS HD", but to "Dolby Surround"?

By the way, this example is also interesting from another perspective: The theatrical release apparently also featured a 6-track magnetic sound mix for the 70 mm prints.

What would be the "more accurate" representation of playing back this blu? Using the 2.0 channel with dolby surround, or playing back the 5.1 DTS HD mix encoded on the blu through the receiver's DTS HD mode (maybe that one is mixed based on the 70 mm track)?

Last edited by Menteith; 04-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
Thanks, this is really interesting. I wonder how many people play all these movies back wrongly - or am I the only one?

A good example is the Arrow UK blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China. Arrow advertised that they provided the original 2.0 Stereo track on their blu-ray. I mean it literally says 2.0 in the menu and on the back cover.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but just going from common sense I would never have geuessed to set my receiver not to "stereo", not to "DTS HD", but to "Dolby Surround"?

By the way, this example is also interesting from another perspective: The theatrical release apparently also featured a 6-track magnetic sound mix for the 70 mm prints.
Don't feel bad. This is what these forums are for, is for people to ask questions and to learn about various issues that they do not know about.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (04-13-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion