Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
1984 (Blu-ray)
$27.37
11 hrs ago
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$36.71

Europa Europa (Blu-ray)
$27.37
11 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
18 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Border (Blu-ray)
$19.98
23 hrs ago
Frankenstein 1970 (Blu-ray)
$17.71
12 hrs ago
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 04-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #1

Apr 2015
China
Unhappy Blu-ray can't be played in normal ways and the feature is playable

I bought a used Blu-ray on amazon.fr. I try to play it on PowerDVD (set as B-region), DVDFab Player and PlayStation 4, but all I got is a 2-minute silent black screen.

However, when I switch UHD / Blu-ray playback mode from Menu Mode to Simple Mode on DVDFab Player, I can watch the feature without any problem.

So, what's wrong with this disc? Simple Mode is good to play the feature, but I can't access special features if I don't play it in Menu Mode.

Update: I downloaded AnyDVD HD and requested a free trial, then used the functions of lifting the user limit and skipping the promos. After AnyDVD cracked the Blu-ray disc, PowerDVD can play it normally. So there should be something wrong with the promos?

Update 2: I don't use any additional function of AnyDVD, but only the basic cracking (it shows it cracks AACS copy protection) - then PowerDVD can still play this disc from the very beginning (the studio logo intro). So AACS copy protection is where the problem locates?

Last edited by Dino-Killer 912; 04-11-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino-Killer 912 View Post
I bought a used Blu-ray on amazon.fr. I try to play it on PowerDVD (set as B-region), DVDFab Player and PlayStation 4, but all I got is a 2-minute silent black screen.

However, when I switch UHD / Blu-ray playback mode from Menu Mode to Simple Mode on DVDFab Player, I can watch the feature without any problem.

So, what's wrong with this disc? Simple Mode is good to play the feature, but I can't access special features if I don't play it in Menu Mode.

Update: I download AnyDVD HD and request a free trial, I used the functions of lifting the user limit and skipping the promos. After AnyDVD cracked the Blu-ray disc, PowerDVD can play it normally. So there should be something wrong with the promos?
They maybe in 50Hz.
Thanks given by:
Dino-Killer 912 (04-10-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 AM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

50hz isn’t an issue for PowerDVD. It’s a PC player so it converts everything to your monitor’s output refresh rate.

It’s more likely there’s some BD-J stuff on the disc that it doesn’t like. Do you have all the latest software updates?
Thanks given by:
chip75 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 02:48 AM   #4

Apr 2015
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Do you have all the latest software updates?
The latest versions of DVDFab Player and Leawo Blu-ray Player also encounter that 2-minute black silence. But the disc was actually released ten years ago, perhaps something changed in the past ten years...
Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

Try turning off BD-Live support in your playback software (in other words, don't allow it an internet connection). Perhaps it's trying to contact a server to play the latest trailers or something.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Try turning off BD-Live support in your playback software (in other words, don't allow it an internet connection). Perhaps it's trying to contact a server to play the latest trailers or something.
Playback can run into problems when BD-Live can't find content that's been deactivated. A couple of discs that had the ticker-tape info at the bottom of the screen caused issues (I think it was The Office).

I don't think the disc has BD-Live content, just a trailer at start-up.

As you said 50Hz shouldn't be a problem David M, and this is 24Hz 1080p (the German and South Korean releases are 1080i 60Hz), but do some software players have issues changing resolution and frame rate if the right options are selected?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software