Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Returns 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Batman Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.01
8 hrs ago
The Matrix Revolutions 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 04-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #481

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
As for the movie iteself, I have some issues with it to be honest. I love MCU movies and wanted Captain Marvel to be great but unfortunately, it came out a bit short for me somehow because it could have been MUCH better.
I can say I loved Wonder Woman much more although I don't like DCU movies at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
As for the movie iteself, I have some issues with it to be honest. I love MCU movies and wanted Captain Marvel to be great but unfortunately, it came out a bit short for me somehow because it could have been MUCH better.
Thing is, this movie actually did a lot fo things right that the normal MCU movies (or movies in general) usually don't. My most favorite being the camaraderie between Carol and Fury. I was so ready for this movie to try the typical Hollywood style 'buddy cop' routine where the characters start out hating each other's guts and by the end of the film start to to work together.

Just take JJ Abrams' two Star Trek films, the The Man from U.N.C.L.E. remake and the recent Lone Ranger movie. There's this strange mentality for big Hollywood writers that think characters who are seen as friends normally must start out loathing each other to the core for no good reason. So when Carol and Nick started working together after their second encounter, it was a relief to know that these characters wouldn't bi@&! and moan at each other for a majority of the time. Let's let these characters have fun.

It just made the movie a lot more fun. While Wonder Woman does a better job than most with their Diana/Steve dynamic, they still kept butting heads all the way to the end.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #482

Dec 2008

just gonna say "yep" to all of the above. I've seen CM 7 times now (my daughter has wanted to go 4 times) and I really understand why people aren't all about it after watching the first time. But if you get to see it a second time, things start clicking a bit more and the more subtle things that the creative team have done really start to show themselves. It really is a well-layered movie that doesn't over-complicate itself while dealing with complex themes and world building.

the whole first part of the movie having to put all that info of skrulls, and what they are and why they're evil and Carol/Vers having amnesia but she's now a Kree and all they've "done" for her and the whole war between them blah blah blah... That was a ton of info to cram down the viewers throat and they were able to do it in a way that kept the story progressing fairly well. Those types of heavy info openings have sunk many an origin story.
All that said, I'm just happy that my daughter has this story and, when she's a little older, Wonder Woman as well.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #483
Special Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant View Post
just gonna say "yep" to all of the above. I've seen CM 7 times now (my daughter has wanted to go 4 times) and I really understand why people aren't all about it after watching the first time. But if you get to see it a second time, things start clicking a bit more and the more subtle things that the creative team have done really start to show themselves. It really is a well-layered movie that doesn't over-complicate itself while dealing with complex themes and world building.

the whole first part of the movie having to put all that info of skrulls, and what they are and why they're evil and Carol/Vers having amnesia but she's now a Kree and all they've "done" for her and the whole war between them blah blah blah... That was a ton of info to cram down the viewers throat and they were able to do it in a way that kept the story progressing fairly well. Those types of heavy info openings have sunk many an origin story.
All that said, I'm just happy that my daughter has this story and, when she's a little older, Wonder Woman as well.
Interesting. This movie is definitely not worth a purchase for me. But I do plan to see it again at some point.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #484

Apr 2014

Looks like somebody has uploaded the cover art for both the Blu and the 4K to the site. Are these legit?

Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #485
Blu-ray Knight

May 2007
I move around a lot.

Quote:

There is a lot right, but I think most that have a problem are saying they have a problem with what isn't there.

As I mentioned before, the movie has a lot of payoffs. They are great about capturing the "feel" that you witnessed a character arc. But it feels like more smoke and mirrors the longer you think on it.

Example - the trailer shows Carol struggle on the ropes in basic training. The movie shows people down below jeering her (not sure why they all dislike her so much. I've only the seen the movie once, it's possible they were cheering?, but I thought they looked oddly angry.)

She misses the rope, falls down, but stands up like a bad@ss. The end. Do we see her try again and succeed? No. Do we see her confront the other ladies later? Nope. Do we know why this is a defining moment that we should share in her triumph? We have no idea what is going on, but the movie wants you to see how triumphant she is.

This happens throughout the movie. Captain Marvel doesn't have a defining moment. Not really. We are tricked into thinking she does. She doesn't have to figure anything out. Every obstacle can be overcome by simply realizing you can be stronger.

It's not that Captain Marvel is a bad movie, it's just not a whole movie.

I would also argue that it isn't very creative. That train scene should have been so much more interesting. Imagine trying to chase a shapeshifter through a train loaded with people. They would constantly be shifting shapes, you'd never know who was an enemy... or, they could shapeshift once and then leave the area that gives them the edge in this scenario. We literally saw the whole scene in a trailer.

My kid had fun watching it. I found it entertaining enough. But if I'm giving it critical thought and putting it against some of the best of Marvel and other stories with more depth that truly test their characters (such as Spideman Spiderverse).

Looking forward to seeing how the PQ ends up looking as it is a movie that had some murky moments, but definitely has moments that could look stunning.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #486

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Looks like somebody has uploaded the cover art for both the Blu and the 4K to the site. Are these legit?

Hope so. Digging that 4K cover.
Thanks given by:
alull (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #487

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
There is a lot right, but I think most that have a problem are saying they have a problem with what isn't there.

As I mentioned before, the movie has a lot of payoffs. They are great about capturing the "feel" that you witnessed a character arc. But it feels like more smoke and mirrors the longer you think on it.

Example - the trailer shows Carol struggle on the ropes in basic training. The movie shows people down below jeering her (not sure why they all dislike her so much. I've only the seen the movie once, it's possible they were cheering?, but I thought they looked oddly angry.)

She misses the rope, falls down, but stands up like a bad@ss. The end. Do we see her try again and succeed? No. Do we see her confront the other ladies later? Nope. Do we know why this is a defining moment that we should share in her triumph? We have no idea what is going on, but the movie wants you to see how triumphant she is.

This happens throughout the movie. Captain Marvel doesn't have a defining moment. Not really. We are tricked into thinking she does. She doesn't have to figure anything out. Every obstacle can be overcome by simply realizing you can be stronger.

It's not that Captain Marvel is a bad movie, it's just not a whole movie.

I would also argue that it isn't very creative. That train scene should have been so much more interesting. Imagine trying to chase a shapeshifter through a train loaded with people. They would constantly be shifting shapes, you'd never know who was an enemy... or, they could shapeshift once and then leave the area that gives them the edge in this scenario. We literally saw the whole scene in a trailer.

My kid had fun watching it. I found it entertaining enough. But if I'm giving it critical thought and putting it against some of the best of Marvel and other stories with more depth that truly test their characters (such as Spideman Spiderverse).

Looking forward to seeing how the PQ ends up looking as it is a movie that had some murky moments, but definitely has moments that could look stunning.
ehhh... well, the reason they show her falling down is because she finds the strength and resolve to continually get back up. To not quit when the easier path was to go home. It's symbolism for how she doesn't choose the easy path. She wasn't born a hero, she chose, in a quick moment, to believe every crazy damn word/thing she was seeing when she was first confronted with all the Kree information. She picked up a gun and fired it into the energy source knowing full well it would cause a massive explosion and one that should have, for all intents and purposes, killed her to save others she didn't even know. Continually in the movie we see her actions leading to her becoming stronger - she wasn't gifted strength from birth or a serum but from her bravery which caused her to be given hero abilities.

She also chose to go with the Skrull at the end of the movie, forgoing a return to her home to be with those she loves because she knows that the Skrull will be hunted to extinction and they need someone with her powers.
This all goes back to getting back up - doing what is most difficult because it's not within her character to choose the easiest path. So I would argue that the more you think on the story, the more impact it has.

If you place it against the other Marvel origin stories, it's actually one of the more well done flix considering the majority of people went into it not knowing a damn thing about captain marvel and they had to explain a lot.

(also, hard to compare Spiderverse to most movies as that damn film is nearly perfect)
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-15-2019), Gacivory (04-15-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #488
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013

Ooh that 4K cover is sweet
Thanks given by:
afr52 (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #489
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
ehhh... well, the reason they show her falling down is because she finds the strength and resolve to continually get back up. To not quit when the easier path was to go home. It's symbolism for how she doesn't choose the easy path. She wasn't born a hero, she chose, in a quick moment, to believe every crazy damn word/thing she was seeing when she was first confronted with all the Kree information. She picked up a gun and fired it into the energy source knowing full well it would cause a massive explosion and one that should have, for all intents and purposes, killed her to save others she didn't even know. Continually in the movie we see her actions leading to her becoming stronger - she wasn't gifted strength from birth or a serum but from her bravery which caused her to be given hero abilities.

She also chose to go with the Skrull at the end of the movie, forgoing a return to her home to be with those she loves because she knows that the Skrull will be hunted to extinction and they need someone with her powers.
This all goes back to getting back up - doing what is most difficult because it's not within her character to choose the easiest path. So I would argue that the more you think on the story, the more impact it has.

If you place it against the other Marvel origin stories, it's actually one of the more well done flix considering the majority of people went into it not knowing a damn thing about captain marvel and they had to explain a lot.

(also, hard to compare Spiderverse to most movies as that damn film is nearly perfect)
Since when is standing up the same as not quitting?

For all we know, she did quit every time she fell (not sure what the rope jumping requirements are for a pilot).
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #490
Power Member

Dec 2009
NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post

Damn if that's the cover I definitely want the standard 4K as well, I love that poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
And here I thought they were beating us over the head with what those dudes were doing. Later one of them smugly telling her "You know why they call it a cockpit, right?" feels like it made their motivations clear.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #491
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015

That 4K cover is amazing but Iím going with the steelbook.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #492

Jul 2018
Wisconsin

The Border of the standard 4K is telling me something. Lenticular..?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #493

Nov 2009
California, USA

May have to double dip and get that 4K cover.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 AM   #494
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierTheaterPotato View Post
The Border of the standard 4K is telling me something. Lenticular..?
Ant-Man/Wasp was lenti but didn't have that Movies Anywhere banner, which this does. So probably not lenti.
Thanks given by:
afr52 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #495
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
My Home
-
-

This is my Mom's favorite Marvel movie.

It's one of my top 10 favorites too. It's just a different vibe to it, but one can say that to all the MCU movies to a degree.
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 AM   #496

Jul 2018
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Ant-Man/Wasp was lenti but didn't have that Movies Anywhere banner, which this does. So probably not lenti.
Would make more of an incentive, since Ant-Man/Wasp's Lenti was limited. I never minded the Gold Border on Disney's 4K releases anyhow, though for this should look good with it being shiny.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #497
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

I've only seen the movie once and I'm pretty excited to own it. I loved the movie.

This one and Wonder Woman are at the top of my favorite superhero films.
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #498
Power Member

Dec 2009
NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierTheaterPotato View Post
Would make more of an incentive, since Ant-Man/Wasp's Lenti was limited. I never minded the Gold Border on Disney's 4K releases anyhow, though for this should look good with it being shiny.
I hate the banner so AMatW having the lenti to avoid that was good, but the shiny is also good so I'm fine with it being that. The colours will definitely lend themselves to awesome shininess, too.
Thanks given by:
XavierTheaterPotato (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #499

Feb 2012

Wow I had planned on only buying the 4K steelbooks but that cover is just too damn good to pass up.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #500

Jul 2018
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_packet View Post
I hate the banner so AMatW having the lenti to avoid that was good, but the shiny is also good so I'm fine with it being that. The colours will definitely lend themselves to awesome shininess, too.
Amen to that. Hate the MA Banner, It's obnoxious. I can imagine the glowing effects of the poster being in Holofoil like they usually do.
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies