Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
 
Batman 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
 
Game of Thrones 4K: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Batman Returns 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
 
Jack Ryan: 5-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Batman Forever 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
 
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.01
8 hrs ago
The Matrix Revolutions 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.99
 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
 
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #481
Jeyl Jeyl is online now
Active Member
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
May 2009
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
As for the movie iteself, I have some issues with it to be honest. I love MCU movies and wanted Captain Marvel to be great but unfortunately, it came out a bit short for me somehow because it could have been MUCH better.
I can say I loved Wonder Woman much more although I don't like DCU movies at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r9800pro View Post
As for the movie iteself, I have some issues with it to be honest. I love MCU movies and wanted Captain Marvel to be great but unfortunately, it came out a bit short for me somehow because it could have been MUCH better.
Thing is, this movie actually did a lot fo things right that the normal MCU movies (or movies in general) usually don't. My most favorite being the camaraderie between Carol and Fury. I was so ready for this movie to try the typical Hollywood style 'buddy cop' routine where the characters start out hating each other's guts and by the end of the film start to to work together.

Just take JJ Abrams' two Star Trek films, the The Man from U.N.C.L.E. remake and the recent Lone Ranger movie. There's this strange mentality for big Hollywood writers that think characters who are seen as friends normally must start out loathing each other to the core for no good reason. So when Carol and Nick started working together after their second encounter, it was a relief to know that these characters wouldn't bi@&! and moan at each other for a majority of the time. Let's let these characters have fun.

It just made the movie a lot more fun. While Wonder Woman does a better job than most with their Diana/Steve dynamic, they still kept butting heads all the way to the end.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #482
abbazappaplant abbazappaplant is online now
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
125
19
Default

just gonna say "yep" to all of the above. I've seen CM 7 times now (my daughter has wanted to go 4 times) and I really understand why people aren't all about it after watching the first time. But if you get to see it a second time, things start clicking a bit more and the more subtle things that the creative team have done really start to show themselves. It really is a well-layered movie that doesn't over-complicate itself while dealing with complex themes and world building.

the whole first part of the movie having to put all that info of skrulls, and what they are and why they're evil and Carol/Vers having amnesia but she's now a Kree and all they've "done" for her and the whole war between them blah blah blah... That was a ton of info to cram down the viewers throat and they were able to do it in a way that kept the story progressing fairly well. Those types of heavy info openings have sunk many an origin story.
All that said, I'm just happy that my daughter has this story and, when she's a little older, Wonder Woman as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #483
avs commenter avs commenter is offline
Special Member
 
Apr 2018
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant View Post
just gonna say "yep" to all of the above. I've seen CM 7 times now (my daughter has wanted to go 4 times) and I really understand why people aren't all about it after watching the first time. But if you get to see it a second time, things start clicking a bit more and the more subtle things that the creative team have done really start to show themselves. It really is a well-layered movie that doesn't over-complicate itself while dealing with complex themes and world building.

the whole first part of the movie having to put all that info of skrulls, and what they are and why they're evil and Carol/Vers having amnesia but she's now a Kree and all they've "done" for her and the whole war between them blah blah blah... That was a ton of info to cram down the viewers throat and they were able to do it in a way that kept the story progressing fairly well. Those types of heavy info openings have sunk many an origin story.
All that said, I'm just happy that my daughter has this story and, when she's a little older, Wonder Woman as well.
Interesting. This movie is definitely not worth a purchase for me. But I do plan to see it again at some point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #484
zw94 zw94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Apr 2014
130
210
Default

Looks like somebody has uploaded the cover art for both the Blu and the 4K to the site. Are these legit?



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #485
CYMBOL CYMBOL is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
CYMBOL's Avatar
 
May 2007
I move around a lot.
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant View Post
just gonna say "yep" to all of the above. I've seen CM 7 times now (my daughter has wanted to go 4 times) and I really understand why people aren't all about it after watching the first time. But if you get to see it a second time, things start clicking a bit more and the more subtle things that the creative team have done really start to show themselves. It really is a well-layered movie that doesn't over-complicate itself while dealing with complex themes and world building.

the whole first part of the movie having to put all that info of skrulls, and what they are and why they're evil and Carol/Vers having amnesia but she's now a Kree and all they've "done" for her and the whole war between them blah blah blah... That was a ton of info to cram down the viewers throat and they were able to do it in a way that kept the story progressing fairly well. Those types of heavy info openings have sunk many an origin story.
All that said, I'm just happy that my daughter has this story and, when she's a little older, Wonder Woman as well.
There is a lot right, but I think most that have a problem are saying they have a problem with what isn't there.

As I mentioned before, the movie has a lot of payoffs. They are great about capturing the "feel" that you witnessed a character arc. But it feels like more smoke and mirrors the longer you think on it.

Example - the trailer shows Carol struggle on the ropes in basic training. The movie shows people down below jeering her (not sure why they all dislike her so much. I've only the seen the movie once, it's possible they were cheering?, but I thought they looked oddly angry.)

She misses the rope, falls down, but stands up like a bad@ss. The end. Do we see her try again and succeed? No. Do we see her confront the other ladies later? Nope. Do we know why this is a defining moment that we should share in her triumph? We have no idea what is going on, but the movie wants you to see how triumphant she is.

This happens throughout the movie. Captain Marvel doesn't have a defining moment. Not really. We are tricked into thinking she does. She doesn't have to figure anything out. Every obstacle can be overcome by simply realizing you can be stronger.

It's not that Captain Marvel is a bad movie, it's just not a whole movie.

I would also argue that it isn't very creative. That train scene should have been so much more interesting. Imagine trying to chase a shapeshifter through a train loaded with people. They would constantly be shifting shapes, you'd never know who was an enemy... or, they could shapeshift once and then leave the area that gives them the edge in this scenario. We literally saw the whole scene in a trailer.

My kid had fun watching it. I found it entertaining enough. But if I'm giving it critical thought and putting it against some of the best of Marvel and other stories with more depth that truly test their characters (such as Spideman Spiderverse).

Looking forward to seeing how the PQ ends up looking as it is a movie that had some murky moments, but definitely has moments that could look stunning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #486
merkman merkman is offline
Senior Member
 
merkman's Avatar
 
May 2010
776
212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Looks like somebody has uploaded the cover art for both the Blu and the 4K to the site. Are these legit?



Hope so. Digging that 4K cover.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
alull (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #487
abbazappaplant abbazappaplant is online now
Active Member
 
Dec 2008
125
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
There is a lot right, but I think most that have a problem are saying they have a problem with what isn't there.

As I mentioned before, the movie has a lot of payoffs. They are great about capturing the "feel" that you witnessed a character arc. But it feels like more smoke and mirrors the longer you think on it.

Example - the trailer shows Carol struggle on the ropes in basic training. The movie shows people down below jeering her (not sure why they all dislike her so much. I've only the seen the movie once, it's possible they were cheering?, but I thought they looked oddly angry.)

She misses the rope, falls down, but stands up like a bad@ss. The end. Do we see her try again and succeed? No. Do we see her confront the other ladies later? Nope. Do we know why this is a defining moment that we should share in her triumph? We have no idea what is going on, but the movie wants you to see how triumphant she is.

This happens throughout the movie. Captain Marvel doesn't have a defining moment. Not really. We are tricked into thinking she does. She doesn't have to figure anything out. Every obstacle can be overcome by simply realizing you can be stronger.

It's not that Captain Marvel is a bad movie, it's just not a whole movie.

I would also argue that it isn't very creative. That train scene should have been so much more interesting. Imagine trying to chase a shapeshifter through a train loaded with people. They would constantly be shifting shapes, you'd never know who was an enemy... or, they could shapeshift once and then leave the area that gives them the edge in this scenario. We literally saw the whole scene in a trailer.

My kid had fun watching it. I found it entertaining enough. But if I'm giving it critical thought and putting it against some of the best of Marvel and other stories with more depth that truly test their characters (such as Spideman Spiderverse).

Looking forward to seeing how the PQ ends up looking as it is a movie that had some murky moments, but definitely has moments that could look stunning.
ehhh... well, the reason they show her falling down is because she finds the strength and resolve to continually get back up. To not quit when the easier path was to go home. It's symbolism for how she doesn't choose the easy path. She wasn't born a hero, she chose, in a quick moment, to believe every crazy damn word/thing she was seeing when she was first confronted with all the Kree information. She picked up a gun and fired it into the energy source knowing full well it would cause a massive explosion and one that should have, for all intents and purposes, killed her to save others she didn't even know. Continually in the movie we see her actions leading to her becoming stronger - she wasn't gifted strength from birth or a serum but from her bravery which caused her to be given hero abilities.

She also chose to go with the Skrull at the end of the movie, forgoing a return to her home to be with those she loves because she knows that the Skrull will be hunted to extinction and they need someone with her powers.
This all goes back to getting back up - doing what is most difficult because it's not within her character to choose the easiest path. So I would argue that the more you think on the story, the more impact it has.

If you place it against the other Marvel origin stories, it's actually one of the more well done flix considering the majority of people went into it not knowing a damn thing about captain marvel and they had to explain a lot.

(also, hard to compare Spiderverse to most movies as that damn film is nearly perfect)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-15-2019), Gacivory (04-15-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #488
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
92
42
15
Default

Ooh that 4K cover is sweet
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
afr52 (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #489
Kevinicus Kevinicus is offline
Power Member
 
Kevinicus's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
38
225
2
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant View Post
ehhh... well, the reason they show her falling down is because she finds the strength and resolve to continually get back up. To not quit when the easier path was to go home. It's symbolism for how she doesn't choose the easy path. She wasn't born a hero, she chose, in a quick moment, to believe every crazy damn word/thing she was seeing when she was first confronted with all the Kree information. She picked up a gun and fired it into the energy source knowing full well it would cause a massive explosion and one that should have, for all intents and purposes, killed her to save others she didn't even know. Continually in the movie we see her actions leading to her becoming stronger - she wasn't gifted strength from birth or a serum but from her bravery which caused her to be given hero abilities.

She also chose to go with the Skrull at the end of the movie, forgoing a return to her home to be with those she loves because she knows that the Skrull will be hunted to extinction and they need someone with her powers.
This all goes back to getting back up - doing what is most difficult because it's not within her character to choose the easiest path. So I would argue that the more you think on the story, the more impact it has.

If you place it against the other Marvel origin stories, it's actually one of the more well done flix considering the majority of people went into it not knowing a damn thing about captain marvel and they had to explain a lot.

(also, hard to compare Spiderverse to most movies as that damn film is nearly perfect)
Since when is standing up the same as not quitting?

For all we know, she did quit every time she fell (not sure what the rope jumping requirements are for a pilot).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #490
bell_packet bell_packet is offline
Power Member
 
bell_packet's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
NZ
249
54
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zw94 View Post
Looks like somebody has uploaded the cover art for both the Blu and the 4K to the site. Are these legit?

Damn if that's the cover I definitely want the standard 4K as well, I love that poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYMBOL View Post
Example - the trailer shows Carol struggle on the ropes in basic training. The movie shows people down below jeering her (not sure why they all dislike her so much. I've only the seen the movie once, it's possible they were cheering?, but I thought they looked oddly angry.)
And here I thought they were beating us over the head with what those dudes were doing. Later one of them smugly telling her "You know why they call it a cockpit, right?" feels like it made their motivations clear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 PM   #491
JustinB13 JustinB13 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
JustinB13's Avatar
 
Mar 2015
Default

That 4K cover is amazing but Iím going with the steelbook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #492
XavierTheaterPotato XavierTheaterPotato is online now
Active Member
 
XavierTheaterPotato's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Wisconsin
183
32
Default

The Border of the standard 4K is telling me something. Lenticular..?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #493
monanza monanza is online now
Active Member
 
Nov 2009
California, USA
679
Default

May have to double dip and get that 4K cover.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 AM   #494
imsounoriginal imsounoriginal is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
imsounoriginal's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
DMV
685
82
2
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierTheaterPotato View Post
The Border of the standard 4K is telling me something. Lenticular..?
Ant-Man/Wasp was lenti but didn't have that Movies Anywhere banner, which this does. So probably not lenti.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
afr52 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #495
brooks101189 brooks101189 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
brooks101189's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
My Home
-
-
101
Default

This is my Mom's favorite Marvel movie.

It's one of my top 10 favorites too. It's just a different vibe to it, but one can say that to all the MCU movies to a degree.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 AM   #496
XavierTheaterPotato XavierTheaterPotato is online now
Active Member
 
XavierTheaterPotato's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Wisconsin
183
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Ant-Man/Wasp was lenti but didn't have that Movies Anywhere banner, which this does. So probably not lenti.
Would make more of an incentive, since Ant-Man/Wasp's Lenti was limited. I never minded the Gold Border on Disney's 4K releases anyhow, though for this should look good with it being shiny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #497
cynatnite cynatnite is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cynatnite's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN
784
405
30
42
34
Default

I've only seen the movie once and I'm pretty excited to own it. I loved the movie.

This one and Wonder Woman are at the top of my favorite superhero films.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019), WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (04-18-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 AM   #498
bell_packet bell_packet is offline
Power Member
 
bell_packet's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
NZ
249
54
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierTheaterPotato View Post
Would make more of an incentive, since Ant-Man/Wasp's Lenti was limited. I never minded the Gold Border on Disney's 4K releases anyhow, though for this should look good with it being shiny.
I hate the banner so AMatW having the lenti to avoid that was good, but the shiny is also good so I'm fine with it being that. The colours will definitely lend themselves to awesome shininess, too.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
XavierTheaterPotato (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #499
trevrox trevrox is offline
Senior Member
 
trevrox's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
820
148
1
Default

Wow I had planned on only buying the 4K steelbooks but that cover is just too damn good to pass up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #500
XavierTheaterPotato XavierTheaterPotato is online now
Active Member
 
XavierTheaterPotato's Avatar
 
Jul 2018
Wisconsin
183
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell_packet View Post
I hate the banner so AMatW having the lenti to avoid that was good, but the shiny is also good so I'm fine with it being that. The colours will definitely lend themselves to awesome shininess, too.
Amen to that. Hate the MA Banner, It's obnoxious. I can imagine the glowing effects of the poster being in Holofoil like they usually do.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bell_packet (04-16-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:57 AM.