Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
5 hrs ago
Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
13 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
5 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies > Disney+

Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 AM   #2021

Dec 2018
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty View Post
One example I do remember is the short “Santa’s Workshop”.
Thanks for the reply.

It's curious that the short you mention, “Santa’s Workshop”, like many others, is branded with the standard disclaimer "This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions".

Which in this case, as I have no reason to doubt you, seems to be untruthful. However, a quick google search indicates that those edits you noticed were made way before the arrival of Disney+, and the edited version of this short, and probably other shorts, was already in circulation since long ago.

That was my main fear, that the censorship was brand-new and done specifically for Disney+. My other fear was that it was systematic, because in your first comment you made it sound kinda like there were many shorts affected by this, but it seems only a small minority among the most ancient ones have been tampered with in this way.

Anyway, censorship always sucks, but at least it's not as bad as I thought after reading your first comment.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 AM   #2022

Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlockmeister View Post

It's curious that the short you mention, “Santa’s Workshop”, like many others, is branded with the standard disclaimer "This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions".
Oh wow, that is hilarious - I didn’t even notice that disclaimer was there! Hrmm although now that I think about it, that is actually more obnoxious than not.

My apologies if I made it sound like a new systematic problem on Disney+. My experience with the classic Disney shorts is predominantly limited to the Walt Disney Treasures DVD releases, and hence my viewings on Disney+ is directly compared to those. It is absolutely possible that the edits made to episodes like Santa’s Workshop, were created for release elsewhere. Although given the inclusion of that disclaimer, it is not entirely clear to me why an edited version was used on Disney+.

All in all though, I would think the number of edited shorts should be rather small. Even if we assume that every short that was relegated to the “From the Vault” section on the Walt Disney Treasures line ends up getting an edited release on Disney+, that still is only about 10-20% of the classic shorts (absolute rough estimate off the top of my head) and as far as I can tell, Disney+ only has about 3-4 dozen of the classic shorts available for viewing at the moment anyway.

Last edited by Spotty; 03-26-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #2023

Dec 2018
Disney

Curiouser and curiouser...

There are at least 3 movies that have been censored, with admission of guilt:

Splash:
https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/splash/5tXDQPs8hDbl
(Here they've just cut Daryl Hannah's ass out of the picture.)

Emil and The Detectives:
https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/em...s/4zvTlhgKE2Lf

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin:
https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/th...n/6YRafeLLX4AV

This first thing you see when you hit play in any of these movies is a big disclaimer:

"This film has been modified from its original version. It has been edited for content"

Funnily enough, in the case of "Bullwhip Griffin", its landing page features the standard disclaimer standing in direct contradiction:

"This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions".

Does anyone familiar with those 2 classic movies know what has been edited out?
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #2024
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

I thought they fixed the aspect ratio issue with The Simpsons? In the UK we're getting 16:9 versions of the 4:3 episodes.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #2025
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I thought they fixed the aspect ratio issue with The Simpsons? In the UK we're getting 16:9 versions of the 4:3 episodes.
They were supposed to be fixed in the US around this time but nope, still only 16x9 for all episodes.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #2026

Mar 2017

Quote:
Does anyone familiar with those 2 classic movies know what has been edited out?
I have not yet watched it, but my understanding is that some racial slurs have been removed from the dialogue of “The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
They were supposed to be fixed in the US around this time but nope, still only 16x9 for all episodes.
It would be nice if they would fix the aspect ratio on some of the Disney Afternoon programs while they are at it! Shows like “Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers”, look so awkwardly cramped when cropped to 1.78.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #2027
Special Member

Feb 2011

Why no Condorman on Disney Plus?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #2028

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Why no Condorman on Disney Plus?
My thoughts too....
No "The Three Lives Of Thomasina" either, which is notable because it has the "Mary Poppins" kids, wonderful scenery of Scotland and Patrick McGoohan in-between "Danger Man" seasons and a few years before #6 on the Prisoner.

It shouldn't take "much" to update either one of these, they both aired on "The Disney Channel" when it premiered as a premium pay-channel in 1983.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #2029

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Curiouser and curiouser...

There are at least 3 movies that have been censored, with admission of guilt:

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin:
https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/th...n/6YRafeLLX4AV

This first thing you see when you hit play in any of these movies is a big disclaimer:

"This film has been modified from its original version. It has been edited for content"

Funnily enough, in the case of "Bullwhip Griffin", its landing page features the standard disclaimer standing in direct contradiction:
Going by memory, I believe some toxic by today's standards racial slurs were edited out. BTW these were also edited out of The Disney Channels presentation when I saw it in 1983. I have not watched this yet on D+ however.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies > Disney+