Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
4 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
11 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
4 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Valhalla Rising (Blu-ray)
$19.89
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #821
Special Member

Aug 2009

Regislive surely just have another look at 220-electronics, or where you tried to get the Panasonic 270 from
Old 03-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #822

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratford View Post
Regislive surely just have another look at 220-electronics, or where you tried to get the Panasonic 270 from
It was from 220 and they said the Panasonic 270 is out of stock (even though it's on the website) and they will not be getting anymore in. So the Panasonic is out of the running.

So I was going to jump to my second choice the Sony BDP-S6500 as I am seeing really good reviews on it...after thinking about it I run a Projector that isn't 4K so why bother with the 4K upscaling? So then I might as well save $20 and get the Sony BDP-S5500 from what I read it is the same as the S6500 without the upscaling.

After doing some more digging I have read the LG BP550 has basically the same blu-ray picture as the Sony S5500 so might as well save another $20 and get the LG. I will not be using this for streaming nor PS gaming just for region locked discs.
Thanks given by:
stratford (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #823

Oct 2017

I'm tempted to get the refurbished Sony on eBay but my Seiki hasn't given up on me yet, except for some minor quirks.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #824
Special Member

Aug 2009

Dollar Colonel if the seiki has minor quirks, and you believe in the Sony go for it. Seiki aren't know for lasting a long time
Thanks given by:
Dollar Colonel (03-30-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:41 AM   #825
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

I just ordered my first region free blu ray player. The Dynastar Sony BDP-S3700. I have been wanting to go region free for quite a while now but had no idea about the headache. For the most part it seems that the player I ordered has gotten good reviews but there are some pretty negative ones that are concerning me such as "player stopped working after 6 months, region free option doesn't work or there's audio cut out issues regarding DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks on Region B discs". One thing I've been concerned about is does anyone know if I am able to update/regularly update this particular player without wiping out the region free compatibility?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #826
Special Member

Aug 2009

MassiveMovieBuff have you asked the seller? there are usually instructions about that withe the notes on how to change region
Old 03-31-2020, 09:42 AM   #827
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014

Quote:
MassiveMovieBuff have you asked the seller? there are usually instructions about that withe the notes on how to change region
No I haven't but I actually just found the question answered on the list of questions on the main page on amazon and it looks like you can in fact update it just fine without losing the region free compatibility.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:19 AM   #828
Special Member

Aug 2009

MassiveMovieBuff trusting Amazon is a brave thing to do when you don't have a standard player
Thanks given by:
Regislive (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 12:27 PM   #829
Power Member

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
One thing I've been concerned about is does anyone know if I am able to update/regularly update this particular player without wiping out the region free compatibility?
Hardware-modded players allegedly can withstand firmware and app updates, so you should be okay. However, I have read about issues some people have had as a result of updates, so maybe ask yourself whether you need connect it at all.

I've never connected my region-free player to the Internet, and have not encountered a single playback issue on any disc in three years. I have no interest in using the installed apps or accessing any online content via the player, and simply use it to watch films (the point of buying it in the first place).

Enjoy your new region-freedom!
Thanks given by:
MassiveMovieBuff (03-31-2020), Regislive (03-31-2020), stratford (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #830
Special Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Just FYI for anyone that's been wondering and/or Looking Around for a Player:

I just picked-up the LG BP550 for $159, "Brand New" from 220. All Regions. Plays PAL just perfect. And it plays most of the Data I've thrown at it through it's USB and with Rewritable BRs. No need to Transcode or Pass-Thru MKVs to mp4 for my PS4.

I don't have the ability to compare it to my funky crappy Seiki SR4KP1, but it seems the PQ on the new LG (2015 model, I think) is much better than the Seiki - but I may be delusional. Much better Blacks, Nice Saturation. The upscaling especially looks better. Been watching the old Kung Fu TV Show and it looks pretty fab.

I ordered it from 220, and received it in 3 days Priority Mail. Nice!

One problem, is that it only Reads Data with FAT32-Formatted Flashdrives as opposed to exFAT. So the files can't be over 4GBs. I've managed to work-around that by burning larger files to a ReWritable BD.

Trying to figure if it has the latest firmware.

Last edited by albabe; 04-01-2020 at 05:25 PM.
Thanks given by:
Regislive (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #831
Special Member

Oct 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
No I haven't but I actually just found the question answered on the list of questions on the main page on amazon and it looks like you can in fact update it just fine without losing the region free compatibility.
As long as you get the updates through the player's modem, you'll be fine. DO NOT USE the USB port. To be safe, I don't use the USB port for any reason.

I've had 2 Sony region free Blu-ray players for about a year and a half. Don't recall the model #s, but one is wireless and one isn't. No issues at all. Congratulations on finally going region free!
Thanks given by:
MassiveMovieBuff (03-31-2020), stratford (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 PM   #832
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014

Quote:
MassiveMovieBuff trusting Amazon is a brave thing to do when you don't have a standard player
I have a standard player as well. I just figured I better order my region free player ASAP with everything going on right now just to be on the safe side. The answers to the questions seem to be from the seller directly.

Also, thanks for the responses everyone! Much appreciated!
Thanks given by:
stratford (03-31-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #833

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
Just FYI for anyone that's been wondering and/or Looking Around for a Player:

I just picked-up the LG BP550 for $159, "Brand New" from 220. All Regions. Plays PAL just perfect. And it plays most of the Data I've thrown at it through it's USB and with Rewritable BRs. No need to Transcode or Pass-Thru MKVs to mp4 for my PS4.

I don't have the ability to compare it to my funky crappy Seiki SR4KP1, but it seems the PQ on the new LG (2015 model, I think) is much better than the Seiki - but I may be delusional. Much better Blacks, Nice Saturation. The upscaling especially looks better. Been watching the old Kung Fu TV Show and it looks pretty fab.

I ordered it, and received it in 3 days Priority Mail. Nice!

One problem, is that it only Reads Data with FAT32-Formatted Flashdrives as opposed to exFAT. So the files can't be over 4GBs. I've managed to work-around that by burning larger files to a ReWritable BD.

Trying to figure if it has the latest firmware.
Have you tried it with 3D? Just wondering how well it handles it.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:48 AM   #834
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Avondale, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H. View Post
While the player is on and the tray is open, you point the remote at the player and press:

- the YELLOW button for a Region A disc
- the BLUE button for a Region B disc
- the RED button for a Region C disc

You then close the tray with the disc inside it, and that is it! I've had 2 region-free Sony players (including this model) for about 18 months. No issues at all.
I got the Sony 6500 one. I also bought all the HK flicks from the UK that I could. A lot of Jackie Chan (along w/ Biao and Hung), Once Upon a Time in China trilogy, and whatever other HK flicks I could get.

I'd never seen the uncut Drunken Master. And would never get the versions we got here on DVD or BD.

It's good to be Region Free and BD player is very easy to use. It's just an extra pretty much. I just wanted the BD player for Region B pretty much.
Thanks given by:
Jay H. (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #835
Special Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regislive View Post
Have you tried it with 3D? Just wondering how well it handles it.
I haven't. Sorry... but it got a great 3D review.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lg-...r-review.11934
Thanks given by:
Regislive (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders